Who needs to step up to make this defense elite?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This defense is on the brink of being elite, to me elite is ranking in the top 5.

Michael Brockers would be my choice, if he can step up and play big time for 16 games this defense would shut the run down and force teams to throw the ball all game. Brokers is a very talented player and we all know his potential, with him playing good and the rest of the defense staying healthy this team would be scary. Greg Williams said this is one of the fastest defenses in the NFL and if Brokers can shut down the middle run, the other guys can play full speed.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Hm great question, my choice has to be the yet-to-be-named free safety. Besides the obvious that whoever wins the job can't be a weak link, what would truly make the Rams defense elite is if they got an actual turnover-producing ball hawk at that spot. Opponent already has to worry about pressure, sacks and getting stuffed from the front 7, but if they also had to worry that any time they tried to throw downfield it could be picked, then that would be elite.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
hi-res-019204ca0a50d3b3d4d7f21d566e9ab8_crop_north.jpg

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It is going to be very interesting to see how different the "D" looks without JL and Long! Williams has already stated the "D" is going to be a lot "Faster"!(y):D

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
We need Quinn back to 100%, Gaines must return to form and start opposite Tru, Ogletree has to be a game changer at MLB, and someone has to step up and play at least as well as McCloud did at FS.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Alec Ogletree. He is stepping into a leadership role. We will see how he responds.

I think this year will be seen as the breakout year for a historically good defense. The next 5-7 years this defense will be great. In addition to Donald, one or two other HOF players will emerge.

:rant:"Who are you, Nostra Dumbass?!"

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
DE Ethan Westbrooks must pick up the pass rushing pressure of the departed Chris Long.

SS Mo Alexander must continue to develop into a solid productive DB in place of TJ McDonald.

DB Lamarcus Joyner must become the type of leader he was for FSU's national champion.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Last year we were gashed in the running game when the DLine lost containment. To me, the key is Ogletree. He has to put the D in position and be a beast in the run game. He has to quickly diagnose when to stack and when to shoot the gap.

My next in line is actually Gregg Williams. He was badly out coached v the Redskins, Bears, and Bengals. It's as if this staff prepares well only against the NFC West. Gambling D Coordinators like him and Haslett seem to frequently become victims of their own creativity. I'd like to see him trust more in base concepts that consistently produce rather than hope you will always win the chess match.

fearsomefour

Legend
First, the offense.
By possessing the ball more, not turning it over and limiting the oppositions opportunities several times a game (by picking up first downs and sustaining more drives) the Rams D will more affective. More rest for the D and less time on the field.
Quinn coming back healthy, Joyner a S....remaining healthy.
Ogletree at MLB.
Coples/depth along the D line.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
The entire secondary as a group. We lost two quality starters in Jenkins and McLeod. Between Gaines, Joyner, Roberson, and Alexander somebody needs to step up and fill those shoes.

Alec Ogletree would be a close second for me. He needs to be able to excel in his new role and prove durable enough to stay on the field playing it. If he doesn't, our LB corps will have a gaping hole in the middle. The fact of the matter is, with JL55's decline in recent years, it had already been lacking in that regard. When RBs got past the front 4, they were able to make long runs up the middle with frustrating regularity. But this will be a new level of bad if Ogletree fails to adapt (I'm not to worried here) or can't take the wear and tear most MLBs sustain (this is a concern for me).

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Alec Ogletree. He is stepping into a leadership role. We will see how he responds.

I think this year will be seen as the breakout year for a historically good defense. The next 5-7 years this defense will be great. In addition to Donald, one or two other HOF players will emerge.

:rant:"Who are you, Nostra Dumbass?!"

This is what worries me, 5-7 years ? I don't know how long this young nucleus can stay together. A lot of big pay days coming up and I doubt this team can keep everyone happy. We need production ASAP

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last year we were gashed in the running game when the DLine lost containment. To me, the key is Ogletree. He has to put the D in position and be a beast in the run game. He has to quickly diagnose when to stack and when to shoot the gap.

My next in line is actually Gregg Williams. He was badly out coached v the Redskins, Bears, and Bengals. It's as if this staff prepares well only against the NFC West. Gambling D Coordinators like him and Haslett seem to frequently become victims of their own creativity. I'd like to see him trust more in base concepts that consistently produce rather than hope you will always win the chess match.

Gregg Williams heavy use of 5 & 6 DB's will give the opponent's offense the desire to run the ball & try often break off those big runs. Most of the runs did come from the area of responsibility of JL. The entire NFL world knew the weak link in our defense was middle inside behind the DL. But many also came from the edges too. The Right side DL where the duo of Quinn & Sims played seemed to have it share of issues too. The shoulder injury that happened early in the season to our top DB run enforcer (TJ McDonald) added to the failures in this area too.

I believe our starting LB'ing cadre (Tree/Barron/Ayers) are more than capable of shutting down any NFL teams run game. I have no concerns here. My main concerns is not run defense but a lack of pass rush from the edges.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Health.

Let Quinn work back to his old self without setbacks and the rest of this group just stay healthy. If that happens they are going to prove themselves to be an elite defense.

I don't know how many defenses could have lost a starting CB, RDE, and WILL LB not to mention deal with guys slowed or coming back from injuries at MLB (bicep think it was had him playing with one arm) and LDE and still fielded a 13th ranked group in scoring allowed. Health is the key and if the Rams get some fortune on their side they're in business.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
This is what worries me, 5-7 years ? I don't know how long this young nucleus can stay together. A lot of big pay days coming up and I doubt this team can keep everyone happy. We need production ASAP
Yeah. A few guys will be lost, but just like the 2000 Ravens, or great Steeler defenses, if we can keep a core together and keep drafting "next man up" talent around them, we can have a 5-7 year window of greatness.

I think Donald, Quinn, Ogletree, Johnson, Joiner and Barron may be that core.

Edit: went back and read your comment again. You know I meant production starting NOW, and LASTING 5-7 years, right? Just for clarification.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
First, the offense.
By possessing the ball more, not turning it over and limiting the oppositions opportunities several times a game (by picking up first downs and sustaining more drives) the Rams D will more affective. More rest for the D and less time on the field.
Quinn coming back healthy, Joyner a S....remaining healthy.
Ogletree at MLB.
Coples/depth along the D line.
Spot on.