Who is this "mystery team" Peter King speaks of?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
• The Rams, at No. 2, are open for business. Two years ago St. Louis drafted quarterback Sam Bradford first overall, so last Saturday, in a meeting of the new St. Louis brain trust, chief operating officer Kevin Demoff told coach Jeff Fisher and G.M. Les Snead that they didn't have to play the phony card of threatening to draft Griffin. St. Louis is ready to deal its pick, and one NFL source said on Saturday night that the team has already had several feelers—[hil]including one from a team "you would never expect."[/hil] Most likely trade-up partners: Cleveland (picking fourth), Washington (sixth) and Miami (eighth). It's likely the Rams will get the highest compensation ever for a draft choice that wasn't the first overall: at least two picks in the first round plus another.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Any guesses? Patriots maybe?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Also, from National Football Authority:
It is believed the Seattle Seahawks are another team who made an offer, but the details of the offer are unknown at this time.

I hear a lot of people saying you don't deal with Seattle..... but why? So what if they're in the division. Are we suggesting that Griffin is going to be such a phenomenal talent that we should be afraid to see him twice a year? If the Rams plan on being a very good team, then they should fear nobody. And if you can pillage Seattle for a ridiculous amount of picks, and maybe even a player or two, then screw it. Why should they be eliminated from the discussion - especially if they end up being the team that ponies up the most compensation?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

a couple of days ago somebody floated the idea of denver trading up.

tebow to jax for their 1st round pick.

denver uses that pick in a package to trade up to #2.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Selassie I said:
The best deal wins if you ask me.

I completely agree with you, Selassie.

I want to milk this golden cow for everything it's worth and more. The Rams aren't going to get another opportunity like this, and they absolutely need to make the most out of it if they're going to field a competitive team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
kurtfaulk said:

Somebody like who? A regular dude, or someone from the media? That does sound intriguing, but I haven't heard anything about John Fox being disenchanted with Tebow. Elway on the other hand..... who knows, eh? And Tebow to Jacksonville makes sense of course. Hometown boy, Khan wanting to boost attendance (and revenue), etc. Certainly would be a nice package deal too with the #7 and #25, but I think we'd need a little more, no?

Selassie I said:
That's what I'm talking about.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Breaking News. Manning becomes Colts GM and trade their 2012 first, second and third round picks along with 2013 first and second round pick for the Rams 2nd pick in the draft.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
X said:
kurtfaulk said:

Somebody like who? A regular dude, or someone from the media? That does sound intriguing, but I haven't heard anything about John Fox being disenchanted with Tebow. Elway on the other hand..... who knows, eh? And Tebow to Jacksonville makes sense of course. Hometown boy, Khan wanting to boost attendance (and revenue), etc. Certainly would be a nice package deal too with the #7 and #25, but I think we'd need a little more, no?

Selassie I said:
That's what I'm talking about.

i read an article about it but can't seem to find it. khan has said that the jaguars should have drafted tebow so i'm guessing he wants him. the broncos can unload the tebow headache and rg3 should excite their fans enough to forget about tebow. the jaguar fans get to support their local hero. the rams get their boatload of picks. everyone wins. except brady quinn. (that was his joke, not mine).

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

superfan24

Starter
X said:
Also, from National Football Authority:
It is believed the Seattle Seahawks are another team who made an offer, but the details of the offer are unknown at this time.

I hear a lot of people saying you don't deal with Seattle..... but why? So what if they're in the division. Are we suggesting that Griffin is going to be such a phenomenal talent that we should be afraid to see him twice a year? If the Rams plan on being a very good team, then they should fear nobody. And if you can pillage Seattle for a ridiculous amount of picks, and maybe even a player or two, then screw it. Why should they be eliminated from the discussion - especially if they end up being the team that ponies up the most compensation?

Completely agree, don't understand that either. Dammit I can't wait till we kick Pete the Cheat's ass all year long. Not convinced at all even with RGIII they can do something in the division.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://www.nationalfootballauthority.co ... -have.html

The Cleveland Browns have been the favorite to land the pick, given they arguably have the most ammunition. Per the league source, Cleveland has offered the No. 4 overall pick, two second round picks and a fifth round pick, but not the No. 22 overall pick. However, if the No. 22 overall pick is a must for the Rams, while reluctant, the Browns would likely be willing to include it.

Another team with an offer on the table is the Washington Redskins. According to the source, Mike Shanahan's team has offered the No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks, along with a third round pick and a second round pick in the 2013 draft.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Screw both of those offers. I'd draft Griffin out of spite if that's all that's being offered.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I had heard speculation before that Seattle could be interested in trading up, so I dont think that's the team King is referring to. Philly would be a big surprise.

San Fran? KC? Chicago? Or Denver like yall were talking about?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
X said:
http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/02/per-league-source-st-louis-rams-have.html

The Cleveland Browns have been the favorite to land the pick, given they arguably have the most ammunition. Per the league source, Cleveland has offered the No. 4 overall pick, two second round picks and a fifth round pick, but not the No. 22 overall pick. However, if the No. 22 overall pick is a must for the Rams, while reluctant, the Browns would likely be willing to include it.

Another team with an offer on the table is the Washington Redskins. According to the source, Mike Shanahan's team has offered the No. 6 and No. 39 overall picks, along with a third round pick and a second round pick in the 2013 draft.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Screw both of those offers. I'd draft Griffin out of spite if that's all that's being offered.

No Doubt!

I was kinda toying with the what if we drafted Griffen anyway. Not so much as a QB but as a playmaker. All the different ways we could utilize him. A lot of scouts had him as a WR going into the season. Line him up out wide, in the backfield, have throw the ball every so often etc. Would be exciting.

Not suggesting we do. Im 100% behind Bradford. Om an OU fan so to have a Heisman winner from my favorite college program QB my favorite NFL organization is awesome.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
libertadrocks said:
I was kinda toying with the what if we drafted Griffen anyway. Not so much as a QB but as a playmaker. All the different ways we could utilize him. A lot of scouts had him as a WR going into the season. Line him up out wide, in the backfield, have throw the ball every so often etc. Would be exciting.

Not suggesting we do. Im 100% behind Bradford. Om an OU fan so to have a Heisman winner from my favorite college program QB my favorite NFL organization is awesome.
A gadget QB like Slash? Mehhh. Would be cool, because Kordell certainly was fun to watch, but I don't see Fisher doing something like that. *IF* we were to draft Griffin, you can bet it would be because Fisher wants him as the QB, and Bradford would be on the block for a Faulk-type deal to another team heavily in need of a QB of their own. I wouldn't be a fan of that either because I still think Bradford has all the requisite tools to be a great passer. I'm not real huge into scrambling QB's either, no matter how dynamic they are. I like surgical precision QBs and a mauling running game.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
The most creative scenario I heard (folks on Twitter) was the Texans trade a lot of picks and swap Steven Jackson for Arian Foster lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Miami Dolphins: What’s Robert Griffin III worth?

by: Omar Kelly February 28th, 2012 | 9:18 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... s-interest

The St. Louis Rams are actively shopping the No. 2 pick in the 2012 NFL draft, which most teams expect will turn into Robert Griffin III.

When Justin Blackmon showed up smaller than team's expected the Rams became a bit froggie.

The Sun-Sentinel reported this on Friday, and broke down various aspects of the decision.

The Miami Dolphins have some level of interest in making a deal, but considering Miami’s in viewed as the team in the driver’s seat to land Peyton Manning once he’s released from Indianapolis, and Packers backup Matt Flynn during free agency, [hil]a team source told the Sun-Sentinel the motivation to give up draft picks for the Heisman Trophy winning quarterback “isn’t very high.”[/hil]

That source said the Rams are asking for draft picks equivalent to the No. 1 pick in the 2012 draft, which is worth 3,000 points on a trade value chart.

However, the Rams really have the No. 2 pick, which is worth 2,600 points. But I’m told the value of many of the draft’s early picks will go up because the money needed to sign these players to four-year deals has gone down.

For instance, while Manning will likely land a contract that pays him $15 annually, and Flynn will get a deal that pays him around $50 million over five years, Griffin will net approximately $22 million over the next four seasons.

So, what’s the No. 2 pick worth in trade points to the Dolphins?

Based on what the Rams are asking, we’re talking about a swap of Miami’s No. 8 for St. Louis No. 2 in 2012, a second-rounder in 2012, a first-rounder in 2013 and possibly a third-rounder in 2013.

That’s approximately 3,100 points in trade value, which actually exceeds St. Louis’ asking price.

Don’t mistake it. We’re estimating a what is a fair and reasonable trade from Miami’s standpoint, not what the Dolphins have offered.

Here’s how the formula works: Miami’s No. 8 is worth 1,400 points. The second-round pick is worth 480 points. Next years first-round pick is hard to assess, but say the Dolphins land the 16th pick then it would be worth 1,000 points. If Miami’s worse than a .500 teams then the value goes up. If the Dolphins are better it goes down. The same approach goes for the third-round pick in 2013, which would be worth around 225 points.

What could drive the price up – from a third-rounder to a second-rounder in 2013 – is the amount of teams in the bidding, and the level of draft picks they have to offer.

Desperation could also come into play.

The Dolphins, Browns and Redskins are the three teams aggressively looking to upgrade the quarterback position. The Seahawks are viewed as the dark horse in hunt for quarterbacks, but the likelihood of the Rams trading the rights to Griffin to a division rival are not good.

With Miami and Cleveland viewed as the two front runners to get Manning and Flynn the Rams front office figures are aware it would benefit them to move the No. 2 pick before Manning is released on March 8, and free agency started on March 13.

I’m told the Redskins are expected to be the most aggressive team in pursuit of Griffin, but Washington would gain negotiating leverage if the Dolphins or Cleveland, or both teams, land a quarterback in free agency.

That’s why many expect the Rams to accept an offer before free agency because St. Louis has little cap space, and plenty of needs to fill, therefore the Rams have no motivation to stay at No. 2, especially since Justin Blackmon’s stock will likely fall if this 6-foot receiver doesn’t run a respectable 40-yard dash time.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
libertadrocks said:
I had heard speculation before that Seattle could be interested in trading up, so I dont think that's the team King is referring to. Philly would be a big surprise.

San Fran? KC? Chicago? Or Denver like yall were talking about?

We would never make a major trade within the division unless we could cripple them. Not Seattle or SF brotha.