Who is the greatest dual threat QB of all time?(poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who is the best dual threat QB of all time?

• Randall Cunningham

• Fran Tarkington

• Steve Young

• Michael Vick

• John Elway

• Cam Newton

• Russell Wilson

• Donovan McNabb

• Steve McNair

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I picked Cunningham, despite the numbers not being as high as some others. He was a freakish physical talent and certain circumstances held him back from doing more than he could have. He had Randy Moss like natural ability.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Steve Young for me. I grew up thinking great, at least Montana is gone. Young turned out damn near as good just played a bit different with his running ability. He could beat you both ways and he was one of the toughest guys on the field every time he played. I have a soft spot for him though because he's the gold standard for left handed QBs for me. Sure would be nice to have a successful lefty that could spin it again. It just looks cooler from the left side, I'm biased though.:flanders:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hello Otto Graham... come on!
nixweiss.gif

4B6.jpg

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I picked Cunningham, despite the numbers not being as high as some others. He was a freakish physical talent and certain circumstances held him back from doing more than he could have. He had Randy Moss like natural ability.

He also had Randy Moss rookie season. (y)

That 1998 season was a spectacle to witness, aerial assault, and Cunningham still had some legs under him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Vick's 42.7 career rushing yards per game is pretty unbelievable when you think about it. Even Cunningham averaged "only" 30.6.
No one notable even comes close except for Cam who stands at 41.1 right now, but Cam is already at 43 TD's while Vick only finished with 36. Another interesting debate would be who is the better pure passer between the two...Vick or Newton?

Newton. Pretty easily imo.

My answer to your question is Steve Young as well. I want to say Favre but he was more a scrambler than a true dual threat.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hated Steve Young and shame on any of you who voted for him IMHO....Young was still throwing when the score was 38-17 God Bless Aeneas Demetrius Williams! Went with John Elway!

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Time will tell about Cam and Russell. It may end up that they have the kind of career Young did. Mike Vick was on his way, and he was an undeniable force when young and healthy. However Young had way more passing yards and, to me, was much more of a long term threat. I had to say Young.

fearsomefour

Legend
Elway for me.
In fact, it is hard for me to think of a QB with a better skill set all time.
If I had to take one guy it would be Elway and its not that close.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
When I look at the weapons each of these guys had - and what they have been able to do with these weapons - I have to give the nod to Cam.

I also factor in that the players in the game today would flat out destroy the players of even 20 years ago.

Small sample size, but if I'm picking one guy to have for his career to play in today's game - it's Cam.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
IMO Young and Rodgers are the top guys, not sure why @Mojo Ram didn't include AR in the list though.

If I was starting a team and got to choose anyone I would probably choose Young over anyone else and that's over anyone at any position. I think he may be the best QB that has ever played the game and if he was playing today he would be setting records.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Had to say Steve Young - Was a great passing QB, game manager AND could run out of trouble - unfortunately was a 49er....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I had to go w/ Fran Tarkington. Remembering all the Times I had to watch him run around being chased by the Fearsome-Foursome!!

VikingsRams60s.jpg
goalline 69.jpg

OK! THESE PHOTO's AREN"T OF FRAN! But they are of the "4" and the Vikings!!:D

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's too early for anyone to really put Wilson at the top of this list - probably the same for Newton. Fran was a scrambler - not a real runner - and I hated that little shit - oh wait.... still do. Randall Cunningham was fun to watch but I can't really put him at the top of that list. For my money - it is a toss up between Elway and Young:sick:.

If Vick could have pulled his head out of his ass, I think he would have been the clear #1 in this category.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I gotta go with Cunningham. IMO he revolutionized the position.
Cunningham was awful dangerous even on teams that weren't great. Young, well I have always questioned his status due to how bad he played in Tampa. He inherited that San Fran team that made Steve Bono and Elvis Grbac look pretty darned good
Gotta go with SI's "Ultimate Weapon"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO Young and Rodgers are the top guys, not sure why @Mojo Ram didn't include AR in the list though.

If I was starting a team and got to choose anyone I would probably choose Young over anyone else and that's over anyone at any position. I think he may be the best QB that has ever played the game and if he was playing today he would be setting records.
I would have listed Rodgers and more as choices but it was maxed out. Rodgers has only avg 17 yds/gm as a runner in his career. I did list him with some other notable guys in the OP.
I just couldn't leave off any of the great dual threat guys to put Aaron in there, although he is a multi-dimensional QB. If we did a poll on QB's with great feet and who are masters of the pocket you bet Rodgers is in there!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I would have listed Rodgers and more as choices but it was maxed out. Rodgers has only avg 17 yds/gm as a runner in his career. I did list him with some other notable guys in the OP.
I just couldn't leave off any of the great dual threat guys to put Aaron in there, although he is a multi-dimensional QB. If we did a poll on QB's with great feet and who are masters of the pocket you bet Rodgers is in there!

I would have thought it was a higher number than 17, wow.

That doesn't make him a dual threat, but when it comes to pocket awareness and escapability he is on that list LOL.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I voted w/ other due to Otto Graham. But I hate to say it of that group SY was the best