Who is the greatest dual threat QB of all time?(poll)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who is the best dual threat QB of all time?

• Randall Cunningham

• Fran Tarkington

• Steve Young

• Michael Vick

• John Elway

• Cam Newton

• Russell Wilson

• Donovan McNabb

• Steve McNair

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
First, what constitutes a Dual threat QB?
-Any quarterback who is capable of beating his opponent with both his running and passing ability. Simple enough.

This should make for an interesting discussion/debate. There have been so many QB's over the years who have possessed the skill/athleticism to beat their opponents as either a great passer or a great runner/scrambler...there has also been a lot of "dual threat" QB's, but if you had to pick one guy who you feel best combined those skills who would it be?

There have been QB's who were excellent passers and could scramble some, and there have been QB's who were a nightmare to cover outside of the pocket who could do a serviceable job as a pocket passer, reading defenses etc...so again, which QB best put that together in one package?

There aren't enough POLL slots for all the QB's i'd like to list as choices so i'll leave a slot for "other."

Notable QB's not listed:
Greg Landry
Warren Moon
Colin Kaepernick
Mark Brunell
Aaron Rodgers
Kordell Stewart
Jake Plummer
Jim Harbaugh
Brett Favre

Some career statistics

R.Cunningham
29,979 yds passing 207 TD 134 INT
186.2 yds/gm
81.5 rate

4,928 yds rushing
30.6 yds/gm 35 TD

F.Tarkenton
47,003 yds passing 342 TD 266 INT
191.1 yds/gm
80.4 rate

3,674 yds rushing
14.9 yds/gm 32 TD

S.Young
33,124 yds passing 232 TD 107 INT
196 yds/gm
96.8 rate

4,239 yds rushing
25.1 yds/gm 43 TD

M.Vick
22,464 yds passing 133 TD 88 INT
157.1 yds/gm
80.4 rate

6,109 yds rushing
42.7 yds/gm 36 TD

J.Elway
51,475 yds passing 300 TD 226 INT
220 yds/gm
79.9 rate

3,407 yds rushing
14.6 yds/gm 33 TD

C.Newton
18,263 yds passing 117 TD 61 INT
234.1 yds/gm
88.2 rate

3,207 yds rushing
41.1 yds/gm 43 TD

R.Wilson
13,974 yds passing 106 TD 34 INT
218.3 yds/gm
101.8 rate

2,430 yds rushing
38 yds/gm 12 TD

D.McNabb
37,276 yds passing 234 TD 117 INT
223.2 yds/gm
85.6 rate

3,459 yds rushing
20.7 yds/gm 29 TD

S.McNair
31,304 yds passing 174 TD 119 INT
194.4 yds/gm
82.8 rate

3,590 rushing
22.3 yds/gm 37 TD

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I look at all the best runners first, then i looked at which one of these guys would be the best QB to have if (hypothetically) they lost the ability to scramble and became a Dan Marino/Tom Brady pocket passing statue type. That's how i arrived at my choice, anyway.

Steve Young without much doubt IMO. I don't think these other greats were as good a passer as Young was, and i think people tend to forget how fast and elusive he was as a runner until you look at the rushing numbers.
As much as i hated the bastard for being a Ram-killing 49er...he was the most complete dual threat QB i've ever seen.

Alan

Legend
Good stuff @Mojo Ram . (y)
I didn't pick any of them because I really didn't pay much attention to them when they played except for Favre so I thought it unfair to vote for him just because I know him well. I was only really interested in watching the pure passers. A QB has a pretty easy time of running with the football because they rarely do it a designed way. Can't say they aren't winners for your team though. While healthy.

Lot of hard work you put in that post my friend.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I gotta go with Steve Young too.
But if I wanted to point to the most dangerous outside the pocket, I'd have to go with Vick.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
How do you undo a vote , yea , I'm the one that goofed up . :whistle:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah, I gotta go with Steve Young too.
But if I wanted to point to the most dangerous outside the pocket, I'd have to go with Vick.
For sure, as a pure runner Vick was outstanding. His career QB rating of 80.4 was the lowest among the nine QB's i listed, but still not a bad number.

Alan

Legend
-X-, Yeah, I gotta go with Steve Young too.
Good point about Vick and I agree wholeheartedly. he ran for 200+ yards against us one game didn't he?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
How do you undo a vote , yea , I'm the one that goofed up . :whistle:
Sorry Iowa, it's too late for a grunt like me to edit/change my post and poll settings.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Vick's 42.7 career rushing yards per game is pretty unbelievable when you think about it. Even Cunningham averaged "only" 30.6.
No one notable even comes close except for Cam who stands at 41.1 right now, but Cam is already at 43 TD's while Vick only finished with 36. Another interesting debate would be who is the better pure passer between the two...Vick or Newton?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sorry Iowa, it's too late for a grunt like me to edit/change my post and poll settings.
Fixed it for you. People can change their minds now after they succumb to my superior intellect.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Another interesting debate would be who is the better pure passer between the two...Vick or Newton?
I think Vick. He had such a strong arm and threw really tight spirals from what I remember.
I try not to watch much of Newton, because that dude annoys me. But I understand he's a good passer at times as well.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Fixed it for you. People can change their minds now after they succumb to my superior intellect.
tumblr_n24z5h1VbM1svlvsyo1_250.gif
200.gif

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There were probably better but for my money the one I enjoyed watching the most was Cunningham. A better runner than he generally gets credit for and was a good passer. Really enjoyed that mans play.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Steve Young?
Who is that?
You mean that one guy who QB'd in the USFL?
That doesn't count, he sucked with the LA Express!!!

Cunningham is the ultimate weapon

image.jpg

SierraRam

Recreational User
I look at all the best runners first, then i looked at which one of these guys would be the best QB to have if (hypothetically) they lost the ability to scramble and became a Dan Marino/Tom Brady pocket passing statue type. That's how i arrived at my choice, anyway.

Steve Young without much doubt IMO. I don't think these other greats were as good a passer as Young was, and i think people tend to forget how fast and elusive he was as a runner until you look at the rushing numbers.
As much as i hated the bastard for being a Ram-killing 49er...he was the most complete dual threat QB i've ever seen.

I'm with you Mojo - Steve was awesome but the original Ram killer was Sir Francis
images

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I had to go with Young but Cunningham was great and McNair was no slouch. Tark was a great scrambler but I don't associate him with being a great running threat. Vick wasn't good enough to be my best of anything. Wislon may end up in the top 3. Cam has talent but like X he annoys me and won't get any credit for a while because I can be like that