Who is the best interior offensive lineman the Rams have ever drafted?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I know that this time of year is silly season as far as hyping draft prospects goes but Robinson better than Pace as a prospect? Really?

Pace:

2x Lombardi Awards
2x All-American
UPI Lineman Of The Year
Outland Trophy
Jim Parker Award
Highest placed offensive linesman in Heisman Trophy voting since 1980
Widely considered the most dominant offensive lineman in college football history
College Football Hall Of Fame inductee

Robinson:

Some bloke who's been climbing up draft boards in the last two months

Not what I'd expect from you, Dr Ram.
We are talking prospect, so you cherry-picked a little--I don't mind. And I don't back down from my statement.

I can't find another tackle, nor do I remember another, that can make an impact like this guy, now, I say CAN. Will he? I don't know, but to me, he's a freak. In all my years of evaluating OL'man, I haven't seen a guy this big, and this strong, in this era, just throwing guys around. Remember, Robinson was only a soph. He benefits, and is also hurt by this, the Auburn offense. Not his fault though.

laramsoriginal

Starter
So far Robinson is not even on the same galaxy as Pace was when he entered the nfl draft. Pace is a all time great. It's almost blasphemous to say Robinson could be better than Orlando

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
In that case: you're nuts.

:p
Only time will tell, but again...I said prospect, and not player, but to me...I'd take the chance. He's a good guy, works hard, wants to be the best, and is an athletic freak. I love his film, for what he is asked to do. I'd compare him to Dontari Poe in that respect...whom I also liked before the draft amid much criticism.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hey, Carl, what's your opinion of the OT's in this class...just compared to last years...3 in the top 5?

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Hey, Carl, what's your opinion of the OT's in this class...just compared to last years...3 in the top 5?
Firstly, I think that last year's draft was an extremely poor one in terms of "skill position" players, hence the early selection of so many linemen.

I'd also say that Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson (I had them evaluated in that order) weren't great prospects. In fact, I had all three of Warmack, Warford and Cooper higher than either Fisher or Johnson.

I'd put Lewan behind only Joeckel of last year's trio. He has athleticism but requires more refinement. Personally, I wouldn't draft him on his sketchy personal background (which has been well documented both on these forums and elsewhere) alone. However, he has the ability to be a solid, if unspectacular, starting left tackle.

Matthews is the highest rated of the trio in my mind and should make a consistent "Pro Bowl" standard left tackle throughout his career.

Robinson, as you say, has great potential. However, I am often sceptical about potential over substance; I've seen far too many over-hyped prospects fail to deliver in all three of the sports that I follow closely to be easily convinced by rave reports without solid foundation. That's not to say that Robinson cannot become a great left tackle; I just don't see any cold, hard, evidence at the moment.

I'd draft Matthews (ideally after a trade down to six or so), then Robinson. I wouldn't touch Lewan for the reasons mentioned earlier.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So far Robinson is not even on the same galaxy as Pace was when he entered the nfl draft. Pace is a all time great. It's almost blasphemous to say Robinson could be better than Orlando
They are in the same galaxy. Pace wouldn't be in the same galaxy as Pace entering the draft today. Not sure he'd even be the top OL'man in the last 10 years. BTW, Pace didn't run the 40, or any of the drills at the combine when he was a pup, so it's a hard comparison for me, but I still went there. You can't measure what is in a guys heart, or Clowney would be the consensus #1 for I can't count... how many years?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Firstly, I think that last year's draft was an extremely poor one in terms of "skill position" players, hence the early selection of so many linemen.

I'd also say that Joeckel, Fisher and Johnson (I had them evaluated in that order) weren't great prospects. In fact, I had all three of Warmack, Warford and Cooper higher than either Fisher or Johnson.

I'd put Lewan behind only Joeckel of last year's trio. He has athleticism but requires more refinement. Personally, I wouldn't draft him on his sketchy personal background (which has been well documented both on these forums and elsewhere) alone. However, he has the ability to be a solid, if unspectacular, starting left tackle.

Matthews is the highest rated of the trio in my mind and should make a consistent "Pro Bowl" standard left tackle throughout his career.

Robinson, as you say, has great potential. However, I am often sceptical about potential over substance; I've seen far too many over-hyped prospects fail to deliver in all three of the sports that I follow closely to be easily convinced by rave reports without solid foundation. That's not to say that Robinson cannot become a great left tackle; I just don't see any cold, hard, evidence at the moment.

I'd draft Matthews (ideally after a trade down to six or so), then Robinson. I wouldn't touch Lewan for the reasons mentioned earlier.
But, like Poe, he did what he was asked to do...on tape. Lewan is a freak athletically, but besides his off field, or sketchy attributes, I didn't like his tape. That is the difference, and the same reason that I like Matthews over Joekel.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
But, like Poe, he did what he was asked to do...on tape.
Alabama's scheme didn't require him to show elite footwork or finesse. That doesn't mean that he can't add technique to his brute strength but I'd like to see some evidence that he can be the complete package before using a high draft pick on him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Alabama's scheme didn't require him to show elite footwork or finesse. That doesn't mean that he can't add technique to his brute strength but I'd like to see some evidence that he can be the complete package before using a high draft pick on him.
Uhh, Auburn, and I still saw that. Like I've said numerous times, I'd be very happy with Matthews, then there is a separation, IMO, between a couple more, then the rest.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
D'oh!

My bad... just woken up. It's only 8am here in London. Better go to have some breakfast before I post any more rubbish!
Even though you are coming after me, that is a huge difference, those two teams, although, it'd even be more huge if it were a passing team. Enjoy your breakfast, and it wasn't rubbish, it was a good convo.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
that is a huge difference
Yeah; I just typed the name of the wrong team; that's the kind of mistake you make when you're still bleary-eyed first thing in the morning. Still, I've had a bacon sandwich and a nice cup of tea, so my head should be clearer now!

I like Robinson as a prospect- I'd take him straight away if he were available with our pick at #13- but he's going to go in the top six or so and I think that that's a bit too high for someone who still has major technical issues to address. However, if we drafted him that high and he became the greatest guard to ever play the game, would anybody complain? I'm sure that some people would splutter that no guard is worth a top five pick and all that rubbish. So getting a John Hannah, Mike Munchak or (getting back on topic) Tom Mack wouldn't make us happy?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah; I just typed the name of the wrong team; that's the kind of mistake you make when you're still bleary-eyed first thing in the morning. Still, I've had a bacon sandwich and a nice cup of tea, so my head should be clearer now!

I like Robinson as a prospect- I'd take him straight away if he were available with our pick at #13- but he's going to go in the top six or so and I think that that's a bit too high for someone who still has major technical issues to address. However, if we drafted him that high and he became the greatest guard to ever play the game, would anybody complain? I'm sure that some people would splutter that no guard is worth a top five pick and all that rubbish. So getting a John Hannah, Mike Munchak or (getting back on topic) Tom Mack wouldn't make us happy?
Yeah, and that is why I am high on him, even at #2...look, we pick where we pick...to me, he's a top 5 guard in the league, at worst. I think I am underestimating him, as a top 5 guard...to be honest.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Yeah; he's got the potential to be an all-time great guard. So he might end up being the answer to the question posed in the OP.

:LOL:

laramsoriginal

Starter
They are in the same galaxy. Pace wouldn't be in the same galaxy as Pace entering the draft today. Not sure he'd even be the top OL'man in the last 10 years. BTW, Pace didn't run the 40, or any of the drills at the combine when he was a pup, so it's a hard comparison for me, but I still went there. You can't measure what is in a guys heart, or Clowney would be the consensus #1 for I can't count... how many years?

You're basing your opinion on athletic ability not accomplishments. Coming out of college, Pace was much more polished at OT than Robinson is. I don't see hiw anyone can argue otherwise.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Would you say that Slater was the tactician and Pace was the athlete?
That seems fair, but Pace was a good tactician, too. Slater was hard work. He was a backup for 3 years and was a starter in year 4. And he stayed there until 1992 . .. when injuries finally got to him. Slater was a better run blocker than pass protector. Some guys he was great at pass pro, but Swilling gave him fits, and a few other OLBers . . .

PhxRam

That seems fair, but Pace was a good tactician, too. Slater was hard work. He was a backup for 3 years and was a starter in year 4. And he stayed there until 1992 . .. when injuries finally got to him. Slater was a better run blocker than pass protector. Some guys he was great at pass pro, but Swilling gave him fits, and a few other OLBers . . .

You think there was anything particular in Swilling that gave him troubles? Or do you think it was just a matter of a guy having your number?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I was always a fan of Tom Newberry and his toughness. France and Harrah were a pretty good duo in 75', Pankey played pretty well for awhile but the conversation begins and ends with Slater and Pace in a draw.
remember those Saint LB"S in those days In 1991, Swilling had 17 sacks and was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year. In 1992, linebackers Rickey Jackson, Vaughan Johnson, Sam Mills, all gave us fits.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You're basing your opinion on athletic ability not accomplishments. Coming out of college, Pace was much more polished at OT than Robinson is. I don't see hiw anyone can argue otherwise.
No, not just ability, but what he does on the field too. I never said, or even came close to saying that Robinson was more polished, or as accomplished as Pace. Now, considering he's only a sophomore, and Auburn runs that funky offense, how could I?