Who is the best interior offensive lineman the Rams have ever drafted?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
By Spencer Engel
http://cover32.com/rams/2014/03/07/...-lineman-the-st-louis-rams-have-ever-drafted/

Mack_tom_gallery_630_7.jpg

I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on interior linemen, especially guys who played before I even existed.

But this is a rather easy decision. The best interior lineman the Rams have ever drafted is guard Tom Mack, whom the Rams selected with the second overall pick in 1966.

As you can see if you follow this link, Mack is easily the best interior lineman the Rams have drafted based on Weighted Career Approximate Value, a statistic formulated by the fine folks at Pro Football Reference that attempts to assign a value to each player at each position throughout NFL history.

Mack also passed the eye test back in his day, as he was selected to the Pro Bowl 11 times in of his 13-year career with the Rams. He missed just two games in his career and was finally inducted to the Hall of Fame in 1999.

The Rams could certainly use another Tom Mack type soon, as the interior of the offensive line appears to be a major need this offseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now (lol) take a look at the article before I corrected it.

Who is the best interior offensive lineman the St. Louis Rams have ever drafted?

Mack_tom_gallery_630_7.jpg

By Spencer Engel

I’m not going to pretend to be an expert on interior linemen, especially guys who played before I even existed.

But this is a rather easy decision. The best interior lineman the Rams have ever drafted is guard Tom Mack, whom the Rams selected with the second overall pick in 1996.

As you can see if you follow this link, Mack is easily the best interior lineman the Rams have drafted based on Weighted Career Approximate Value, a statistic formulated by the fine folks at Pro Football Reference that attempts to assign a value to each player at each position throughout NFL history.

Mack also passed the eye test back in his day, as he was selected to the Pro Bowl 11 times in of his 13-year career with the Rams. He missed just two games in his career and was finally inducted to the Hall of Fame in 1999.

The Rams could certainly use another Tom Mack type soon, as the interior of the offensive line appears to be a major need this offseason.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
To me, it's close between OP and JS.

Best in this decade...Saffold.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Slater or Pace.. Pick one.
Brutal....I'll say in the modern game today...Orlando Pace. Don't kill me Jackie...I love you, bro.

It's a great question. Seems like we've been trying to solve this in FA forever...in the best Sandlot voice.

PhxRam

Brutal....I'll say in the modern game today...Orlando Pace. Don't kill me Jackie...I love you, bro.

It's a great question. Seems like we've been trying to solve this in FA forever...in the best Sandlot voice.

Would you say that Slater was the tactician and Pace was the athlete?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Would you say that Slater was the tactician and Pace was the athlete?
I knew both, pretty well, and I'd say they both... were both, which is what makes a GREAT o-lineman.
Coaching and technique get better every year, but so does athleticism, a lot, of which, because of coaching.

They were BOTH great, but I'd have to pick the blindside guy. I'd pick OP to start a franchise.

fearsomefour

Legend
Dennis Harrah, Rich Saul, Tom Mack....even a versatile guy like Tom Newberry.
The Rams were known for a great o line for a long time.
Time to get back to that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Dennis Harrah, Rich Saul, Tom Mack....even a versatile guy like Tom Newberry.
The Rams were known for a great o line for a long time.
Time to get back to that.
I'm sick of myself saying that, but it's a blessing to hear anyone else say it.

The offensive line that Kurt Warner had as a rookie, helped make him a legend.

And think if the Rams had a QB during the Dickerson years. It's a team effort.

PhxRam

I knew both, pretty well, and I'd say they both... were both, which is what makes a GREAT o-lineman.
Coaching and technique get better every year, but so does athleticism, a lot, of which, because of coaching.

They were BOTH great, but I'd have to pick the blindside guy. I'd pick OP to start a franchise.

I know you love Robinson. Do you have him ranked (on potential ) to be as good as Pace?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I know you love Robinson. Do you have him ranked (on potential ) to be as good as Pace?
Better. I think, on potential, him to be the best offensive lineman in the NFL.

I'd still be happy with Matthews, who in a very deep draft, is VERY good. If, after this year, playing LT, was in the draft last year, I'd have him ranked in the top 5, and on potential, ranked over anybody, but Lane, and Greg. Right now, I'd have him ranked as the best offensive lineman coming out and ready to play in the last few years.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm sick of myself saying that, but it's a blessing to hear anyone else say it.

The offensive line that Kurt Warner had as a rookie, helped make him a legend.

And think if the Rams had a QB during the Dickerson years. It's a team effort.
There are some possible correlations as well;
Jake Long=Timmerman....the vet FA thought to be just past the peak of his career that finds a second wind.
Robinson/Matthews=Pace
The first round stud who settles in immediately.
Joe Barksdale=Fred Miller.
The giant that overcomes some physical limitations to be a very solid RT.
Barrett Jones=Tom Nutten.
Sort of a forgotten guy who ends up tying the whole line together.
Barnes=Mike G.
A grinder who battled his way into being a solid starter.
Just a thought.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
There are some possible correlations as well;
Jake Long=Timmerman....the vet FA thought to be just past the peak of his career that finds a second wind.
Robinson/Matthews=Pace
The first round stud who settles in immediately.
Joe Barksdale=Fred Miller.
The giant that overcomes some physical limitations to be a very solid RT.
Barrett Jones=Tom Nutten.
Sort of a forgotten guy who ends up tying the whole line together.
Barnes=Mike G.
A grinder who battled his way into being a solid starter.
Just a thought.
Great correlations, now if we could only get rid of the ridiculous injury plagues of the 21st century Rams.

If I were the GM, I'd pick 3 offensive lineman in the first 4 rounds....especially if they lose Saffold, but still a solid plan IF he stays.

fearsomefour

Legend
Great correlations, now if we could only get rid of the ridiculous injury plagues of the 21st century Rams.

If I were the GM, I'd pick 3 offensive lineman in the first 4 rounds....especially if they lose Saffold, but still a solid plan IF he stays.
I agree.
It's a deep draft, take advantage if it.
The Barksdale Miller is very close.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I agree.
It's a deep draft, take advantage if it.
The Barksdale Miller is very close.
They are, but Bark is a better athlete, but he should be, like I said, coaching, and training are a lot better than it was, when we were we, lol.

I like that he works hard, and last year proved it.

fearsomefour

Legend
They are, but Bark is a better athlete, but he should be, like I said, coaching, and training are a lot better than it was, when we were we, lol.

I like that he works hard, and last year proved it.
And Joe is 25....to me big upside still.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
I know that this time of year is silly season as far as hyping draft prospects goes but Robinson better than Pace as a prospect? Really?

Pace:

2x Lombardi Awards
2x All-American
UPI Lineman Of The Year
Outland Trophy
Jim Parker Award
Highest placed offensive linesman in Heisman Trophy voting since 1980
Widely considered the most dominant offensive lineman in college football history
College Football Hall Of Fame inductee

Robinson:

Some bloke who's been climbing up draft boards in the last two months

Not what I'd expect from you, Dr Ram.