Who gets added to the 53-man roster now?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams currently have only 51 players on the 53-man roster (once Harris is officially placed on the IR).

Who do you think is up next and/or what positions may they be seeking?

My guess is they go to the practice squad for one of the players (maybe WR Landen Akers, DE Earnest Brown IV or DB Antoine Brooks Jr), and go outside the organization for the second player

What do you think?

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I wouldn't rule out the Rams raiding another teams' practice squad.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well, given the apparent complete lack of trust in Hopkins still we definitely need some TE depth. If we could luck into Daniel Fells that would be good even though he's a bit too seasoned at this point in his career. But with our sudden hit to depth WR and TE would be top targets to scour practice squads. Depending on SJD's surgery and if he could be back by playoffs it would be good to add a NT/DT to practice squad at least.

As for the actual 53 I'd think adding Akers would be the most immediate answer. Maybe Warren Jackson depending on which of the two provides more on kick coverages. If Hopkins is ever going to be used I'd think it makes sense to add Akers/Jackson and have them be inactive on game day with Hopkins active just in case. But Hopkins hasn't been able to find his way out of a paper bag yet so who knows what's going on there.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I would say Akers/gunner and maybe a D lineman. Unsure if Earnest Brown is up to the task.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I said this on the Jacob Harris thread.. never a better time to sign Trishton Jackson than now. ST guy and knows your offense.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'd like the addition of Pinkney at TE to replace Mundt. Rams ran every offensive snap vs the Titans in 11 personel. They need to mix in some 12 personel. Adding a good blocking TE will allow them to do that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Spotrac this morning is listing 52 + Harris on the regular roster and 17 on the Practice Squad, so it appears likely that since we are 1 over the limit on the PS, the next guy up will come from the PS. This includes Copeland who has already reverted back to the PS and off the 53. This would leave Harris as the one remaining spot to fill, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Copeland being brought back up as he had more snaps than Hoecht, Bobby Brown & Blanton combined. Seems a blocking TE on this team has become a secondary issue as our WR's appear to be handling it for the time being, so whoever replaces Harris could come from any direction.
jmo.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Spotrac this morning is listing 52 + Harris on the regular roster and 17 on the Practice Squad, so it appears likely that since we are 1 over the limit on the PS, the next guy up will come from the PS. This includes Copeland who has already reverted back to the PS and off the 53. This would leave Harris as the one remaining spot to fill, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Copeland being brought back up as he had more snaps than Hoecht, Bobby Brown & Blanton combined. Seems a blocking TE on this team has become a secondary issue as our WR's appear to be handling it for the time being, so whoever replaces Harris could come from any direction.
jmo.
Spotrac's 52 players still includes Harris; once he goes on IR there will be two open spots. And for the PS, Max Pircher is part of the International Participation Program, so he doesn't count versus the PS total, so they are good at 16.

With all that said, I agree with blocking TE and potentially DL as being at least two of the key needs. I would not be surprised to see the two players be Copeland and Pinkney.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Spotrac's 52 players still includes Harris; once he goes on IR there will be two open spots. And for the PS, Max Pircher is part of the International Participation Program, so he doesn't count versus the PS total, so they are good at 16.

With all that said, I agree with blocking TE and potentially DL as being at least two of the key needs. I would not be surprised to see the two players be Copeland and Pinkney.

OK, your first sentence is basically repeating what I said in my post. Spotrac lists the Rams with 17 practice squad players, so 1 player will have to be moved, and that is likely to the regular 53 roster. Harris will hit the IR sometime very soon, so while Pinkney is an option, many thought that Blanton would be serving in that role somewhat, and he's barely recording any snaps. If McVay wanted to open more 12 personnel sets, I'd think he could do so with Higbee, Hopkins or Blanton before opting to add Pinkney to the 53, unless Pinkney has really proven himself as superior during practice, and if that were to have happened, would Blanton revert back to the Practice Squad opening another roster spot, or will the Rams want to carry 4 TE's, 3 of whom are relatively unproven in Hopkins, Blanton & Pinkney ?

nighttrain

Legend
Pircher, the player from Europe is the 17th guy and is exempt from counting on the practices squad limit
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I think they claim Darren Fells off waivers from Detroit.

Psycho_X

Legend

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’d consider signing Josh Reynolds.

The timing seems too convenient, too.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
OK, your first sentence is basically repeating what I said in my post. Spotrac lists the Rams with 17 practice squad players, so 1 player will have to be moved, and that is likely to the regular 53 roster. Harris will hit the IR sometime very soon, so while Pinkney is an option, many thought that Blanton would be serving in that role somewhat, and he's barely recording any snaps. If McVay wanted to open more 12 personnel sets, I'd think he could do so with Higbee, Hopkins or Blanton before opting to add Pinkney to the 53, unless Pinkney has really proven himself as superior during practice, and if that were to have happened, would Blanton revert back to the Practice Squad opening another roster spot, or will the Rams want to carry 4 TE's, 3 of whom are relatively unproven in Hopkins, Blanton & Pinkney ?
In your first post you said 52+Harris but meant 52 including Harris. You got the number correct after he's on IR, but slightly misstated the number at first.

What he was trying to say about the practice squad is that we are allowed 17 because Pircher doesn't count. We have 16 on the practice squad, plus a freebie. We're not over the count on the practice squad because Pircher is a part of a special program and doesn't actually count. We really have 16 on the practice squad and one on the IPP which is totally separate and doesn't count towards the practice squad.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
In your first post you said 52+Harris but meant 52 including Harris. You got the number correct after he's on IR, but slightly misstated the number at first.

What he was trying to say about the practice squad is that we are allowed 17 because Pircher doesn't count. We have 16 on the practice squad, plus a freebie. We're not over the count on the practice squad because Pircher is a part of a special program and doesn't actually count. We really have 16 on the practice squad and one on the IPP which is totally separate and doesn't count towards the practice squad.

Yes, the 52 + Harris should rather state 'including', sorry about any confusion. With Copeland listed as back on the practice squad, we currently have 52 players on the 53 roster, and once Harris is IR'd, that will give us 51 players on the 53 roster. Copeland may be moved back up to the 53 considering SJD's absence. Who gets that last roster spot could be anyone's guess at this point. As far as Pircher goes, I keep forgetting about his status as #17, although should Copeland move back up, we'll also have a space available again. jmo.