Who do you want in the 2nd Round?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Speed

UDFA
Joyner and Mathews would have to be at the top of the list for me... I would be intrigued by Carr but I like other QBs better then him and feel we can get them in the third <shrug>

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Plus, lets be honest, who doesn't want to see this happen to Marshawn Lynch?

I didn't see this game. I hope they picked the flag up....I hate what's happening to football.

Don't we need 2 DB's really? A 3rd CB and a FS. I hope we can get Joyner. I'm wouldn't mind Bitonio or Sua-Filo as well. I understand what they want with the future of this o-line. Well's doesn't have many more years left - and he's quite a big cap hit - so ideally Barrett Jones will step in - which still leaves us a guard short somewhere because Robinson is going to be a tackle eventually.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm on board with Jrry in that I think Joyner would be the best FS available. He reminds me of a tougher Honey Badger. And he's not 180 he's closer to 200 lbs at 5'9 or close to it..

I wish he were as tall and as fast.

V3

Hall of Fame
That's not completely true. We don't know how much our secondary suffered alone due to scheme under Walton.

I'll agree that it should definitely improve with Williams. I just don't know if we can count on it improving dramatically just by having a new scheme. Our secondary was one of the worst in the NFL. That can't just be the scheme. We need better talent at FS and CB before this defense can be elite, IMO. Could there be a huge jump in performance due to scheme and young guys just getting better? Yup. I just feel the odds are rather low on that happening. I like to stick to the odds when forecasting. It prevents you from putting too much pressure on young players and is just more realistic.

Look, I'm not saying that the Rams should take a S rated at 70 over a guy rated at 80. That's a huge gap. But if they see a S or CB that they think can be a very good starter and he's maybe a few points below a position that isn't a big need, I'm fine with that. They could also try and trade down a few spots to get better value from the pick while adding more ammo to a deep draft. If Jimmy Garoppolo is the top rated player at their pick, do you want them to take him(I would be fine with that, BTW)? What about another DE or DT? You run into issues if you just stick strictly to BPA. You can get around it by trading down, up, or identifying a player that is still closely graded at a position of greater need and taking him. If that player doesn't pan out, it wasn't because they didn't follow BPA. It's because they messed up in grading him that high in the first place.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I'll agree that it should definitely improve with Williams. I just don't know if we can count on it improving dramatically just by having a new scheme. Our secondary was one of the worst in the NFL. That can't just be the scheme. We need better talent at FS and CB before this defense can be elite, IMO. Could there be a huge jump in performance due to scheme and young guys just getting better? Yup. I just feel the odds are rather low on that happening. I like to stick to the odds when forecasting. It prevents you from putting too much pressure on young players and is just more realistic.

Look, I'm not saying that the Rams should take a S rated at 70 over a guy rated at 80. That's a huge gap. But if they see a S or CB that they think can be a very good starter and he's maybe a few points below a position that isn't a big need, I'm fine with that. They could also try and trade down a few spots to get better value from the pick while adding more ammo to a deep draft. If Jimmy Garoppolo is the top rated player at their pick, do you want them to take him(I would be fine with that, BTW)? What about another DE or DT? You run into issues if you just stick strictly to BPA. You can get around it by trading down, up, or identifying a player that is still closely graded at a position of greater need and taking him. If that player doesn't pan out, it wasn't because they didn't follow BPA. It's because they messed up in grading him that high in the first place.

Snead said that there were like 6 guys they could have taken at 2, but G. Robinson fit them the best. I'm sure that's going to be the case at 44 as well. I trust the men running the show. He's learned from the Brian Quick fiasco.

My personal day 2 preference with players currently on the board is Joyner at 44, and hopefully EJ Gaines @ 75.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Would really like Joyner or Lee...

just realized this is my 1,000 post do i get a fruitcake @Alan ??

V3

Hall of Fame
Snead said that there were like 6 guys they could have taken at 2, but G. Robinson fit them the best. I'm sure that's going to be the case at 44 as well. I trust the men running the show. He's learned from the Brian Quick fiasco.

My personal day 2 preference with players currently on the board is Joyner at 44, and hopefully EJ Gaines @ 75.

I can't get a feel for Joyner. I see him make some really great plays and then I see him kind of disappear. I'll leave his evaluation to the Rams. I can't figure him out. I like Gaines a lot but isn't he projected to be a 4th-5th round pick? I haven't really followed him so maybe he's been climbing?

V3

Hall of Fame
Sorry, but no one has said anything about strict BPA V3. My view is BPA within reason. There's a difference.

Strict BPA would probably see the Rams drafting another DT this year, but I doubt that's going to happen. BPA within reason (if the Rams used my draft board) wouldn't pass on Kyle Van Noy for any safety left in this draft class.

What does BPA mean, then? Best. Player. Available. That's pretty clear cut, IMO. When I hear others saying BPA, that's what they seem to be indicating. If that isn't what you're indicating then I don't think we're far off in our thinking.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
One of two: CB Bashaud Breeland- Clemson or S Terrance Brooks-FSU.

Just a hunch.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Strict BPA isn't how the draft works. It's a myth. I've actually heard GM's and NFL people say as much. There are so many different aspects that play into it including need which is why you usually see so many teams take players that also fill needs. The problem isn't with not taking the BPA, it's with taking a bad player. I feel this year's draft was a little different because it's so deep(not for S, though, which is why there was a run).

And if the Rams trade for some vet S or find some team's castoff and they play better than what we already have, I'll gladly eat my words. I don't see it, though.
Agreed. If it was strict BPA, you might see teams draft 5 players at the same position because there were no trade offers, and that's the way BPA fell.

Yet any team that did that would be the laughingstock of the draft.

jjab360

Legend
I wish he were as tall and as fast.
Mathieu is 5084 and ran a 4.46. Joyner is 5080 and ran a 4.47. Joyner did have a higher VJ (37 1/2" to 34") and longer BJ (10'4" to 9'9"), though, shows a little more explosion. And not that it means anything, but Mathieu's 4 bench press reps were kinda sad compared to Joyner's 14 reps.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan not being careful what he wishes for:
just realized this is my 1,000 post do i get a fruitcake @Alan ??
I only have 2 left and I'm saving those for posters who piss me off. I like you so...no fruitcake for you bro. :LOL:
images

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I only have 2 left and I'm saving those for posters who pee pee me off. I like you so...no fruitcake for you bro. :LOL:
images

and all along I thought the fruitcakes were a reward. This is so bittersweet.

Alan

Legend
NJRamsFan already a fully developed poster:
and all along I thought the fruitcakes were a reward. This is so bittersweet.

It's more a a toughening up for new posters as in "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." :LOL:

Last edited:

jjab360

Legend
Jordan Matthews, WR Vanderbilt
Lamarcus Joyner, DB Florida State
Billy Turner, OT/OG North Dakota State
Terrence Brooks, S Florida State
Donte Moncrief, WR Ole Miss
Phillip Gaines, CB Rice

After watching a few last minute games I want these guys in that order

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Memphis Ram

Legend
What does BPA mean, then? Best. Player. Available. That's pretty clear cut, IMO. When I hear others saying BPA, that's what they seem to be indicating. If that isn't what you're indicating then I don't think we're far off in our thinking.

We are not that far off. But, when I see BPA I have to give people the benefit of the doubt that it is within reason for common sense purposes. No one wants 10 RB or 5 QBs. No one would draft Andrew Luck, then follow that up with a 1st round QB the very next year. For me it's the same when the NFL people say it and when fans say it.