Who are your surprise cuts by the Rams this weekend?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I have not seen any of the Rams preseason games so I am hoping to get some thoughts by some Rams fans that have been able to see some of their games and practices. Seems like this year cuts to the Rams final roster will be much more difficult than in recent years.

Memphis Ram

Legend
First of all I have to say that pre-camp, I would have never believed what I'm about to say. But, while they can restructure some contracts, with the tight cap, I think Austin Pettis is gone. Especially now, since perhaps, what have been his biggest advocate (Bradford) is done for the year.

Secondly, I'm wondering if Brandon McGee has been passed by the rookies.

Thirdly, while it may be a surprise to some, I don't believe Michael Sam makes this team.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I do not see any real surprises. Out of the undrafted rookie free agent class, Westbooks, Watts, and Bayer have stood out.

Westbrooks has clearly beaten out Sam IMO. The bigger surprise to me would be if Sam actually makes the team, especially due to the CB and QB depth needs.

Watts has made a case for himself to be the 5th RB but can the Rams afford to keep a 5th RB like last season.

The main question for me is what are the Rams going to do about a back-up QB - I have been pulling for Davis but his play is just too erratic to be handed that role and Gilbert looks too raw and unpolished.

The only other unknowns are: the 9th O-line spot, the final TE spot (Cunningham vs Bayer), and the last few CB spots (and how many with Tru down and McGee hobbled).

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Sam gets put on the practice squad unless there is a trade offer for him. If he does go to the PS, no way will he last. I think Pettis might last (at least until Bailey returns) as I have not seen enough from Blake, Franklin, Veltung, or the other youngsters to replace him.

paceram

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What are the chances the Rams keep both Westbrooks and Sam and release William Hayes and/or Eugene Sims? Like I said earlier I have not seen any of the Rams games or practices and I have no idea how highly the Rams think of Hayes or Sims other than they both have been on the team for several years now so the Rams must think pretty well of both of them. But, with the Rams salary cap situation could the Rams take a chance and go with the younger and cheaper Westbrooks and Sam?

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
The Rams find a way to keep BOTH Westbrooks AND Sam
That means Carrington or Conrath gets axed. My money is on Carrington. He seemed like a nice idea but made little impact. Rams seem to like Conrath and his size.
Watts takes Reynolds spot
Bayer over Cunningham
Hooey somehow finds a way on this team, just like last year, despite being awful. I assume Fisher and or Snead owe him some sort of massive debt.

Last edited:

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
My picks are Carrington( cut to keep Sam & Westbrooks) not to mention the cap savings. As well as McGee. Probably our worst corner these preseason. Opening the door for a Roberson or Reid(I'm assuming Woodard makes it already).

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think most of the possibles have been covered,IMO all that is going to save Tre Mason is his contract as a third round pick,I have a tough time with RB's who don't block,it's the stuff pussies are made of

Jwise1727

UDFA
Brandon McGee will not get cut. We are too thin at CB. Although he may not have impressed at CB this preseason, the kid also brings some ST value. It would surprise me very much to see Reynolds and/or McGee getting cut considering the ST value they bring to the team.

Jwise1727

UDFA
I think most of the possibles have been covered,IMO all that is going to save Tre Mason is his contract as a third round pick,I have a tough time with RB's who don't block,it's the stuff pussies are made of

No offense man, but Tre Mason is coming from Auburn; the most run heavy offense in the SEC and maybe college football. He was not asked to pass block more than a couple times a game. Should be no surprise that he is pretty raw in this area.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Brandon McGee will not get cut. We are too thin at CB. Although he may not have impressed at CB this preseason, the kid also brings some ST value. It would surprise me very much to see Reynolds and/or McGee getting cut considering the ST value they bring to the team.

Well the title of the thread is "surprise cuts", they're not supposed to make a lot of sense.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
No offense man, but Tre Mason is coming from Auburn; the most run heavy offense in the SEC and maybe college football. He was not asked to pass block more than a couple times a game. Should be no surprise that he is pretty raw in this area.
I realize that but blocking is such a simple thing for a RB to learn,just give yourself up and look for the blitzer,it shouldn't take OTA's and all of training camp to get it down,IOW I consider it more attitude than skill or even athletic ability ,I'm just as hard on Cook for his blocking reticence,agreed no offense and for three weeks I can accept that but not after that, I think he's soft

CoachO

Hall of Fame
While I agree with this statement regarding the ST value, the thing that could cost McGee is this lingering ankle issue. They are already in a bind having to keep Johnson on the roster, so unless McGee is certain to be available and HEALTHY in the next 2 weeks, it could be the determining factor.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I realize that but blocking is such a simple thing for a RB to learn,just give yourself up and look for the blitzer,it shouldn't take OTA's and all of training camp to get it down,IOW I consider it more attitude than skill or even athletic ability ,I'm just as hard on Cook for his blocking reticence,agreed no offense and for three weeks I can accept that but not after that, I think he's soft
He's 20....Still amazed we took a RB that high.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Mason actually made some good downfield blocks in the Cleveland game when Davis was scrambling and he has flashed at times running the ball too. Fortunately the Rams are well set up with Stacy and Cunningham so the team can have some patience with Mason learning how to play without the ball in his hands.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Pass blocking isn't as much about technique and "just give yourself up", its more about identifying WHO you need to block and how to get into position to do it. And bringing Cook into this conversation appears to me more about YOU than him.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
First of all I have to say that pre-camp, I would have never believed what I'm about to say. But, while they can restructure some contracts, with the tight cap, I think Austin Pettis is gone. Especially now, since perhaps, what have been his biggest advocate (Bradford) is done for the year.

Secondly, I'm wondering if Brandon McGee has been passed by the rookies.

Not sure, the Pettis/Givens decision isn't easy if one is gonna get cut. Could one go to practice squad?

My thoughts are that Pettis has been much more reliable (not as many mistakes, disconnects, etc.) when compared to Givens, but Givens has made some splash plays as well. I think there is more big play potential with Givens, and considering Quick and Britt seem to be stepping up, that might eliminate the need for a bigger receiver such as Pettis. Who knows...

And yes on McGee, I think the addition of Joyner, Gaines, and Alexander seem to have pushed him back. Haven't really heard or seen much from him the last two preseason games.