Who are your surprise cuts by the Rams this weekend?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Not sure, the Pettis/Givens decision isn't easy if one is gonna get cut. Could one go to practice squad?

Nope, not after playing a full NFL season on the active roster. If they get cut, their best hope is as a waiver wire pickup. I don't think they'd consider cutting either until Bailey comes back.

DrLurkalot

UDFA
Name
Don
I think we're overvaluing the importance of preseason games. Watts certainly is impressive, but how they look in practice versus top defenders with a full playbook is much more important as to whether they make the team. If you look at preseason games only, Stacy gets cut this year and probably last year as well. I think a year from now Tre Mason is the lead back - and that by no means is a putdown of Stacy, Cunningham, or Watts. This group will give the defensive line a battle for the strongest unit on the team.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Nope, not after playing a full NFL season on the active roster. If they get cut, their best hope is as a waiver wire pickup. I don't think they'd consider cutting either until Bailey comes back.

Thanks for the explanation, wasn't sure how that worked. And I forgot about the whole Bailey deal. I just can't see them keeping all the WR's though. Britt, Quick, Austin, Bailey, Givens, and Pettis. That's a pretty talented and well rounded group though so it's hard to say.

Snead has made it clear that when they get down to the last few roster spots they'll keep the most talented players. He pretty much said that we're gonna keep 5 RB's the other night on the Dolphins game, so who knows maybe we'll keep all 6 WR's.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Pass blocking isn't as much about technique and "just give yourself up", its more about identifying WHO you need to block and how to get into position to do it. And bringing Cook into this conversation appears to me more about YOU than him.

ME? How so? I mentioned Cook because he's how many years into the league and still known as a poor blocker ? So time in grade doesn't mean the guy will ever have the attitude.
,BTW the "give yourself up" line is quoting Faulk's criticism of a backs blocking during the Miami game.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He's 20....Still amazed we took a RB that high.
With Stacy and Cunningham. So was I.
Not complaining though.

The depth is nice to have. If stacy or Cunningham go down, I feel comfortable with Mason and Watts.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
ME? How so? I mentioned Cook because he's how many years into the league and still known as a poor blocker ? So time in grade doesn't mean the guy will ever have the attitude.
,BTW the "give yourself up" line is quoting Faulk's criticism of a backs blocking during the Miami game.

My point on the Cook thing, is its not that he can't do it, and actually, in camp he was one of the better blockers in the pass rush (LB's off the edge) drills among all of the TEs. I think the biggest issue with him is they don't ask him to do much of it. Just like New Orleans doesn't ask Jimmy Graham to block very often, it doesn't mean he can't do it.

I get the "give yourself up" point, I guess what I was trying to say, its more a developmental things, understanding the playbook, scheme responsibilities than it is about "attitude".

As far as Faulk, and his commentary, I think sometimes he likes to hear himself talk about his "knowledge". I am not saying what he says isn't accurate, but he tends to make statements based on how HE played the game, when he was clearly the exception rather than the rule. It's hard for him to watch others play the game and make what he considers simple mistakes. When in fact, 98% of the RBs would make the same mistakes.

Last edited:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
[
My point on the Cook thing, is its not that he can't do it, and actually, in camp he was on of the better blockers in the pass rush (LB's off the edge) drills among all of the TEs. I think the biggest issue with him is they don't ask him to do much of it. Just like New Orleans doesn't ask Jimmy Graham to block very often, it doesn't mean he can't do it.

I get the "give yourself up" point, I guess what I was trying to say, its more a developmental things, understanding the playbook, scheme responsibilities than it is about "attitude".

As far as Faulk, and his commentary, I think sometimes he likes to hear himself talk about is "knowledge". I am not saying what he says isn't accurate, but he tends to make statements based on how HE played the game, when he was clearly the exception rather than the rule. It's hard for him to watch others play the game and make what he considers simple mistakes. When in fact, 98% of the RBs would make the same mistakes.

Do you recall that play last year when Cook was supposed to chip the defensive end (I'm sorry I cant remember who it was against - maybe the 9ers if anyone can get the film thatd be great) and then get into his route - and he just kind of stuck his hands up at the defender and shied away from him and contact. It was pure unwillingness rather then a lack of of identification. I don't want to get at the guy and I know its only one play - but its just a point that if you don't want to face contact and put your body on the line there then all the coaching and identification in the world isn't going to help.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
[

Do you recall that play last year when Cook was supposed to chip the defensive end (I'm sorry I cant remember who it was against - maybe the 9ers if anyone can get the film thatd be great) and then get into his route - and he just kind of stuck his hands up at the defender and shied away from him and contact. It was pure unwillingness rather then a lack of of identification. I don't want to get at the guy and I know its only one play - but its just a point that if you don't want to face contact and put your body on the line there then all the coaching and identification in the world isn't going to help.
That is YOUR perception of what happened. I have also seen many who complain that he just runs away from the formation rather than block his man, when in fact that is exactly what he is coached to do. Not just him, but they have whoever is in that position on a particular play do the same thing.

It "appears" he doesn't want to engage, but its the technique.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
From specifically watching TEs over the preseason games, I think Harkey has improved his blocking the most and Cook second. Harkey has gone from average to almost beast, while Cook has gone from pathetic to "actually not too bad" now.