Whitworth: "We needed this."

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Hey, maybe McVay didn't want to display his entire playbook expecting to see them again in the play-offs ?

OK, I got my conspiracy theory rant out, ... thanks.

jap

Legend
I'm not sure that game means we are "legit and for real". We couldn't do anything on offense and our D gave up in the 4th, even our perfect punter showed his weakness

What weakness? The Horns were backed up within their own 5-yard line. Punters normally set up 15 yards behind the LOS. Because of how backed up they were, Johnny had to set up at a lesser distance and get the punt off faster than usual. If he stepped back past the end-line, it would have resulted in a safety. A lot of uncommon things to process on that first punt, which resulted in an ordinary 43-yard boot---not that poor at all!

Zero

Pro Bowler
I'll say the same thing I said after Woods' bad game against the Redskins, it's one game. A lot of people wanted to bench Woods after that game too. Great football coaches don't take punitive measures against players because they make excusable mistakes. These guys are human. They take punitive measures when a guy keeps making the same inexcusable mistakes.

If Kupp were running the wrong route or getting called for a bunch of false starts, you bench him. You don't bench him because he dropped a pass (on a day where he caught 6 passes) and because the defender ripped the ball out as he was going down. Those are mistakes that can happen to any player on this team.
I will say this,if Wood's ends up missing time,it will be a blessing in disguise for Goff.
I think it will cause Goff to tighten up his rapport with Watkins.Giving him time to get
more comfortable looking Watkins way.Something he didn't get in TC this year.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Yeah, great wisdom and leadership from Whit.

Can the Rams become that hard-nosed playoff team that can grind out points against top defenses?

Seahags, Jags and Vikings games say otherwise. The real question to me is, can we still win games in which our offense doesn't put up 27+ points?

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
This is still a very young team and not many guys are used to winning . Vikings showed us that there are other talented teams and the next couple games with define this team ..need to finish strong !!

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I'll say the same thing I said after Woods' bad game against the Redskins, it's one game. A lot of people wanted to bench Woods after that game too. Great football coaches don't take punitive measures against players because they make excusable mistakes. These guys are human. They take punitive measures when a guy keeps making the same inexcusable mistakes.

If Kupp were running the wrong route or getting called for a bunch of false starts, you bench him. You don't bench him because he dropped a pass (on a day where he caught 6 passes) and because the defender ripped the ball out as he was going down. Those are mistakes that can happen to any player on this team.

Kupp has been the subject of a few key mishaps. Be it the potential game winning non catch against Seattle or the absolute momentum changing fumble in Minnesota. You may be asking for more than he is capable of as a mid round rookie. We may be able to improve production on the field if we place Watkins in the slot from time to time. Personnel changes with Reynolds outside Watkins inside and Kupp pineside on a few play might be good.

Kupp has been great but not clutch.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Crowd noise had a lot to do with Rams losing. Goff running around trying to get everyone on the same page before the snap before every play, sometimes having to take a timeout or delay of game, using every second on the clock. Goff got no rythem going, no huddle was ineffective. OL and WR's barely could get set in their right spot before the snap.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
It is like I always say when someone walks up and punches you in the mouth do you stand there and start throwing punches or do you lay on the ground and die? The Rams just got punched in the mouth.

KDS73

Rookie
giphy.gif

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
4 games above .500 10 games in.
A little adversity can go a long way if properly channeled.
Time to go to work.
See what you're made of.

Go Rams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Rams LT Andrew Whitworth, on this game: "The reality is, we needed this. We need some adversity. It's not to say that we didn't need to come back and win that game, but you know what, some of the adverse situations in this game — on the road, in a really hard place to play, against one of the best defenses in the league — to play the kind of game that we were in, and for this team to be in the game we were in, I think it shows that we're legit and we're the real deal. If we get this opportunity again in the playoffs, if we get a chance to get in, we'll be prepared for it."
I said something similar a few weeks back and was ripped a new one for suggesting it....

I guess coming from Whit, it'll be more believable now...LOLOL

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I said something similar a few weeks back and was ripped a new one for suggesting it....

We don’t want to argue with a man of his size.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Don't go getting all mushy on us now LA.

It did... and still does.. make sense.

This is a very young team (youngest in the league still? Can't remember).

Yeah... go into a hostile environment... loud... good defense.. .it was a great challenge.

They didn't come out victorious but I'm sure they learned a lot... especially the coaches.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Don't go getting all mushy on us now LA.

It did... and still does.. make sense.

This is a very young team (youngest in the league still? Can't remember).

Yeah... go into a hostile environment... loud... good defense.. .it was a great challenge.

They didn't come out victorious but I'm sure they learned a lot... especially the coaches.
Only mushy in my belly...need some crunches...

Glad you stepped forward....

You can't see a team during blowouts...you need a lil stress...adversity...it reveals the character of the players & team.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams LT Andrew Whitworth, on this game: "The reality is, we needed this. We need some adversity. It's not to say that we didn't need to come back and win that game, but you know what, some of the adverse situations in this game — on the road, in a really hard place to play, against one of the best defenses in the league — to play the kind of game that we were in, and for this team to be in the game we were in, I think it shows that we're legit and we're the real deal. If we get this opportunity again in the playoffs, if we get a chance to get in, we'll be prepared for it."
I saw Whit's post game interview, and I found it very comforting! And I agree with him, we needed it! I guess I knew it was eventually happen ( the Rams Losing a game!) But I just didn't want to lose this one! I wanted to Break our Losing streak to the Viqueen's!!

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Only mushy in my belly...need some crunches...

Glad you stepped forward....

You can't see a team during blowouts...you need a lil stress...adversity...it reveals the character of the players & team.

So what did yesterday's adversity reveal about the players' character?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp has been the subject of a few key mishaps. Be it the potential game winning non catch against Seattle or the absolute momentum changing fumble in Minnesota. You may be asking for more than he is capable of as a mid round rookie. We may be able to improve production on the field if we place Watkins in the slot from time to time. Personnel changes with Reynolds outside Watkins inside and Kupp pineside on a few play might be good.

Kupp has been great but not clutch.

Watkins is not a slot WR. Moving him to the slot hurts our offense. Watkins' deep speed on the outside prevents vertical congestion and opens up the intermediate routes. Watkins doesn't have the quickness or route running prowess that allows Kupp to feast in the short passing game. Benching Kupp will not make this offense better.

Scirca

Rookie
Watkins is not a slot WR. Moving him to the slot hurts our offense. Watkins' deep speed on the outside prevents vertical congestion and opens up the intermediate routes. Watkins doesn't have the quickness or route running prowess that allows Kupp to feast in the short passing game. Benching Kupp will not make this offense better.

I hope this doesn't become a Wes Welker issue, someone who is really good but will make that backbreaking drop. 2 Games now. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, him being a rookie and all.