Whitworth open to returning in 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Depends on what he expects his salary to be for 2020. His CAP cost this season was inflated to $16,659,168, although should he agree to a figure closer to his first & second year in L.A. ($9mil. per), considering his value, knowledge, ability & not falling off a cliff in terms of talent level or health, getting him back for one additional season could be invaluable. Scherff would likely cost over $15.mil., and having Goff's blind side covered for another season gives Kromer additional time to train and the young players more time to learn their craft, as well as another draft to improve upon our longer term plan. jmo.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I am not to sure wit is declining as much as we think. it maybe the pressure coming up the middle gives goff no room to step up witch make both tackles jobs way harder.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I say this he has been playing much better since rookie David Edwards started in comparison to the games with Demby & Noteboom.

I just do not think that its possible to work AW in our salary cap, but if it was possible would you bring AW back & knowing that he came back but it cost the Rams our ILB'er Cory Littleton or a OLB'er DF Jr?

It appears to me that Snead has the LT post prepared for AW's retirement where he has David Edwards/ Bobby Evans & Joseph Noteboom all in play to be the starting LT at some point in 2020.

fearsomefour

Legend
No doubt he's expensive, but there's no first round pick coming in to take over at left tackle on a cheap rookie contract, and any competent free agent is going to cost just as much and require a much longer deal. It's scary, but I'm guessing bringing Whitworth back on a similar contract to 2019 is going to be the best of some bad options at the position next year.
You may be right.
Someone like Donald Penn cost the skins $2M.
He isn’t as he once was but either is Whitworth.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO if Whit continues to play it will be somewhere else. You can't blame his issues on the LG. Watch his play! He's getting beat by speed and strength. He's still strong but the first thing to go is quickness and that is the part he is struggling with. Whit IMO is no longer an elite OT. Right now he's probably better than average, but the Rams need to move on because he's not going to get better next year only older.

Psycho_X

Legend
See how he finishes the season before deciding on that one. But if he finishes strong I would love to bring him back especially because of Noteboom injury. Let us draft some more oline to groom if need be. But it’d have to be at a pretty good discount compared to what he’s making this year.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Whit ever play inside? Seems like speedy DE's give him trouble.

Sure would like having him around at the right price. Starting G and swing OT?

First thing McVay did after his hire was to shore up the LT. Be interesting to see how they handle this most crucial position.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
His play may have dropped off a bit, but he's still better than most LT's in the league. And you can't quantify his experience and what he brings in teaching the younger players.

yes, I agree.

Also, won’t you be my neighbor?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'll let the FO worry about contracts but he's still better than a lot of LTs. I also wouldn't mind him coming back as a mentor and start if he is our best option.