Whitworth open to returning in 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Man I'd love to have big Whit back for one more. Lets hope we can all stay healthy and the line improves 2nd half of the season so we get this thing rolling.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I have said on several occasions that it is not a forgone conclusion that Big-Whit retires after the end of the season as many seem to expect. I for one would love to see him return and I leave it up to the team to determine his worth. There may even be some decline in his play, but he is still playing better than many of the LT's in this league. If his play makes a sharp decline as the season progresses like Sullivan's did then I will retract this but for now I am putting my money on Whitworth continuing to play well.

With Noteboom's injury, keeping Whitwoth another year makes more sense. Edwards shows promise and may be better suited to stay inside ala Saffold. That leaves Noteboom in limbo but he, Evans, or Corbitt could fill Blythe's spot at RG. In 2020, Boom could also play the role of the primary swing player as he fully recovers from his ACL.

Fully banking on Noteboom to slide into Whit's spot next season is a bit of risk at this point IMO. With his injury he loses playing/developmental time and he may not be 100% at the beginning of next season. Even though most players now come back from ACL's and have long careers there are still those that also never fully make it back to their pre-injury playing capability. Keeping Whitworth another year is a way for the Rams to hedge their bet at the all-important LT spot.

Note: The offensive line is maybe the weakest/under-performing unit on the team right now, but Whitworth IMO is not one of the problems, he is the thread holding the line together.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
His play may have dropped off a bit, but he's still better than most LT's in the league. And you can't quantify his experience and what he brings in teaching the younger players.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Eh I think hes done. Doesn't seem like the type of guy to make it all about him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
After the injury to Noteboom's knee..... there is about zero chance of Joe being our starting LT in 2020. So there is a large degree of unanswered questions on what will unfold @ LT in early OTA's/Training Camp & preseason of 2020.

Currently, 3rd round drafted rookie Bobby Evans is sharing the practice reps with Andrew Whitworth @ LT. Evans is also Kromer's game day top swing OT reserve.

Early in preseason 5th round rookie David Edwards was our best OT. Edwards earned the 53MR position behind LT Andrew Whitworth & remained there until he was made a starter two games back. Edwards was also Kromer's main game day reserve swing OT from day one of regular season.

It should also be mentioned that versatile OT/OG Chandler Brewer had outplayed the present reserve LT Bobby Evans throughout preseason @ all four posts. Brewer is currently PS contracted.

In 2020 without Whitworth this OL is mostly filled with very young green inexperienced OL'ers with only one real veteran Havenstein, who is having a real bad season. Leaderless!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think the Rams can afford to pay $$$ Whitworth without some serious releases of several probable starters that will hurt more than being without Whitworth. There is a big cost to bring him back & it will hurt in other positions.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I would like to keep Andrew at a team friendly deal and focus our second round draft pick on the C from Wisconsin.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Not at his current salary.
No doubt he's expensive, but there's no first round pick coming in to take over at left tackle on a cheap rookie contract, and any competent free agent is going to cost just as much and require a much longer deal. It's scary, but I'm guessing bringing Whitworth back on a similar contract to 2019 is going to be the best of some bad options at the position next year.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would not be surprised to see David Edwards starting at LT in the future. Love this kid... very athletic, great size, etc. And he's off to a great start. IMO... Evans will be a guard next year.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I would not be surprised to see David Edwards starting at LT in the future. Love this kid... very athletic, great size, etc. And he's off to a great start. IMO... Evans will be a guard next year.

Think you hit the nail on the head

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd love to see 2017 Whitworth back.
The late 2018 and 2019 version? Time to hang it up big fella

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that we have to let Big Whit go, fellas.

Too many negative factors to confront. His age, declining skills, and salary cap impact. It’s never a good idea to keep a declining player one year too long.

Besides, his replacement(s) are already on the roster in Boom, Edwards, or Evans. Gotta move on.

Big Whit has been a helluva signing, player, and teammate. Thanks to him for everything.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think that we have to let Big Whit go, fellas.

Too many negative factors to confront. His age, declining skills, and salary cap impact. It’s never a good idea to keep a declining player one year too long.

Besides, his replacement(s) are already on the roster in Boom, Edwards, or Evans. Gotta move on.

Big Whit has been a helluva signing, player, and teammate. Thanks to him for everything.
If he's not here, it will be due to salary cap only, not age or skills imo. If his skills do decline, we would still be better than any lineman we have and i dont think we can fix the whole line in one offseason.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He has been playing better of late but his strength and susceptibility to power moves have definitely dipped this season. That with his age is probably gonna mean they have a new LT next season.

They might keep him around if he is willing to take a cheap deal. But more likely is they hire him as an assistant OL coach.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would need to be a massive pay cut -the Rams don't have the budget.

I suspect they will sign a lesser OT, rather than overpay an aging guy who is clearly dipping in performance.

Ram65

Legend
I do wonder if Whit didn't work as hard this off season after the loss in the SB and retirement debate with himself.

If Whit comes back I think he takes a big salary hit. He is one of those types of players that would do that. I don't see how the Rams can pay him near $11 Million for the year. Somewhere close to half that could work. So maybe $5.6 Million to 6.5 Million for the year. They could do a two year deal with a bonus split over two years lowering his 2020 cap hit even more.

Of course we have to see how he finishes this year. Having him for one more year buys the Rams much need time to build the offensive line. IIRC I got off the resigning Whit bandwagon this past week. Now, I think it could work better than not resigning him.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
His play may have dropped off a bit, but he's still better than most LT's in the league. And you can't quantify his experience and what he brings in teaching the younger players.

I agree. He might not be what he was, but he's he's still one of the better LT's. And that veteran experience is huge. Plus, do they really think they can find a better option? If he's willing to help out with a team friendly deal, I can totally see him coming back.