Whitworth continues to be well worth his contract.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Brockers has been playing behind AD since 2014 season. DC Wade & DL coach Johnson has been moving MB all over the DL. Brockers has been cemented in the NT post & I have posted for many seasons how MB would be a impact DL if he was able to play other DL posts. I was alone in my position. With the hold out of AD & the lack of impact resulting from that hold out.....MB has shown that he can take over a game too. Last Thursday MB had SIX Solo Tackles & a INT.

Having two other NT types in 6-1/290 lbs Tanzel Smart & 6-2 315 lbs Tyrunn Walker gave the DL coach the opportunity to free MB up. If I could have any imput on what happen with the Cowboys I would have MB & AD playing both DE posts on a regular rotation giving the Dallas OL some additional headaches.

Agreed. AD and MB are the two studs that can dominate and I like having them on each side but the Cards showed what can happen if someone can swim passed Frederick inside and I had visions of AD doing the same...blowing plays up quickly from the inside. I have no problem believing we can get penetration into the Cowboy backfield on a regular basis. The problem is, the times they penetrate but don't get home causes the Linebackers and Safeties to scramble and we get gashed for big plays. OC's are learning how to let our rush work against us.

I'm really curious how Wade will adapt because this next game will be a real chess match and I want to see assignment sound football start to take hold on this defense.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have to believe that this game will be the game that our defense comes together, for the following reasons: Rams have 10 days to get ready for Cowboys; Rams defenders have played together for 3 games now; and last but not least this is coach Phillips old team, you know the players want to give him this one.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Agreed. AD and MB are the two studs that can dominate and I like having them on each side but the Cards showed what can happen if someone can swim passed Frederick inside and I had visions of AD doing the same...blowing plays up quickly from the inside. I have no problem believing we can get penetration into the Cowboy backfield on a regular basis. The problem is, the times they penetrate but don't get home causes the Linebackers and Safeties to scramble and we get gashed for big plays. OC's are learning how to let our rush work against us.

I'm really curious how Wade will adapt because this next game will be a real chess match and I want to see assignment sound football start to take hold on this defense.
I am Not sure that our current LB'ers are the answer to shutting down our opponents running attacks.I do know our Strong Safety is a serious weak link presently.

All of those positions I mentioned gives me grave concerns on our run defense. I do not expect any real improvement if we have the same five players starting again Sunday afternoon in Dallas. I see another poor run "D". Some changes are must!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The defense needs to see this stuff translate to fewer points to really impress me.

25 PPG isn't going to get it done.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
When it comes to old age & ton of experience the OL unit is outside the norm from the other team units. Normally youthful & green OL units end up being pathetic in game performances.

Rams drafted a boatload of OL'ers in 2014 & 2015 NFL drafts & went with starting rookies & other low experienced OL'ers & disasters followed. In 2017 Kromer went with 35 yr, 29 yr, & 32 yr old OL'ers @ OC,LG & LT posts with good results. Jamon Brown & Rob Havenstein both in their 3rd season are now just getting it together to produce a decent game performance.

I would hope Snead can draft a future LT prospect in 2018 so this prospect can get in Whitworth's back pocket to learn as quick as possible what it takes to be an effective LT in the NFL today. Whitworth will be 36 yrs old before the season ends.:notsure: Even then there's a good chance it will take 3 to 4 seasons of experience before any divedens come from the investment. By that time the OL'er is a UFA.
Hoping the same. Maybe a second rounder to groom

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hoping the same. Maybe a second rounder to groom
Exactly! I would use that first selection on positions that normally give you instant use & pays dividends instantly like @ CB or LB'er or WR or TE or RB. Use the 2nd day to find your needed OT's & the 3rd day to find your needed OG & OC.

But in truth you never know when a blue chip OL'er will fall into your laps in the later half of the first round either. Look @ Dallas when they landed two All Pro's center & RG in the draft in the later half.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
............Sullivan - I love this guy, he was an under the radar player for me I have to be honest, but I've been watching him closely - I just love the lanes he bullies open for Gurley and the football smarts he brings to the table (along with Whitworth) is definitely rubbing off on the rest of the line.
I have seen some negative posts on John Sullivan play since the regular season began. Yes JS does loose some battles but I would ask fans here to look deeply as to what position JS is usually tasked to block. Those who find fault in JS will ease up on the negative thought waves on him real quick.

I will be looking hard @ the LA Rams posted injury list to see how injured JS is. Yes Austin Blythe came in & played well for JS last Thursday but having JS remain in the lineup is vital. JS was signed to only a low economy cost contract & will be a UFA in March. Rams will have to pay JS big if he continues to perform as he has thus far & remain injury free.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
When it comes to old age & ton of experience the OL unit is outside the norm from the other team units. Normally youthful & green OL units end up being pathetic in game performances.

Rams drafted a boatload of OL'ers in 2014 & 2015 NFL drafts & went with starting rookies & other low experienced OL'ers & disasters followed. In 2017 Kromer went with 35 yr, 29 yr, & 32 yr old OL'ers @ OC,LG & LT posts with good results. Jamon Brown & Rob Havenstein both in their 3rd season are now just getting it together to produce a decent game performance.

I would hope Snead can draft a future LT prospect in 2018 so this prospect can get in Whitworth's back pocket to learn as quick as possible what it takes to be an effective LT in the NFL today. Whitworth will be 36 yrs old before the season ends.:notsure: Even then there's a good chance it will take 3 to 4 seasons of experience before any divedens come from the investment. By that time the OL'er is a UFA.

The problem is that with us drafting 32nd, it can be awfully hard to find a replacement for Whitworth...:sneaky:

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
How many teams make a turnaround like this in one year? Ever, NFL history? In one year. 4th worst offense ever (in efficiency, I think) to a really good offense....with expanding potential.

Vermeil made a big turn in 1999, but he had everyone on that roster except Holt and Faulk already. And the D was 10th the year before.
Harbaugh in 2011 (yes, that one) had a great turnaround, but to be honest, he already had 4-5 pro bowlers on that roster before he came (Gore, Smith, Staley, Willis, Davis at RT and a few others)....
In 2016, the Rams had Gurley who was 'done' and Saffold and Hav who were ok....and the rest was nothing....

John Robinson did a turn around in 1982, but really everyone was there already, except DIckerson.

Really, the turn around is outrageously big! Sometimes I think we will implode from Ram-happiness ;)
Now, Wade bring it on!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I have seen some negative posts on John Sullivan play since the regular season began. Yes JS does loose some battles but I would ask fans here to look deeply as to what position JS is usually tasked to block. Those who find fault in JS will ease up on the negative thought waves on him real quick.

I will be looking hard @ the LA Rams posted injury list to see how injured JS is. Yes Austin Blythe came in & played well for JS last Thursday but having JS remain in the lineup is vital. JS was signed to only a low economy cost contract & will be a UFA in March. Rams will have to pay JS big if he continues to perform as he has thus far & remain injury free.
John Sullivan is one of the reason for our success! And, he also tweaked a groin/hip on a non contact play; injury on non-contact tells you the body can't take the rigors of the NFL much longer.....which means he isn't a 16 game option anymore. He will be re-signed at minimum again. I hope we keep him, but he won't make it through this season without missing time....maybe games, even. Mcvay had to sign some stop gap guys, and he is one of them....he is more physical than Barnes, and that alone is an upgrade@!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

I'm with you I really hope he isn't injured for Sunday and him coming off was just that - a tweak, it was a short week for the players, I'm hoping that all of our VETS are benefiting for a long week off...

John Sullivan is one of the reason for our success! And, he also tweaked a groin/hip on a non contact play; injury on non-contact tells you the body can't take the rigors of the NFL much longer.....which means he isn't a 16 game option anymore. He will be re-signed at minimum again. I hope we keep him, but he won't make it through this season without missing time....maybe games, even. Mcvay had to sign some stop gap guys, and he is one of them....he is more physical than Barnes, and that alone is an upgrade@!

I think Sullivan is more than just a stop gap guy, sometimes just losing footing you can weak your groin muscle, it doesn't make him any less of an athlete or that he's not capable of a full season. If it was a back injury I would be worried. I think offensively he brings a lot to the table, and I think Goff is benefiting from having him as his Centre.

But the truth of the matter is that Whitworth (35), Sullivan (32) and Saffold (29) aren't getting any younger, we'll have to look for long term options in the next draft.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
"I think Sullivan is more than just a stop gap guy, sometimes just losing footing you can weak your groin muscle, it doesn't make him any less of an athlete or that he's not capable of a full season"
Well, it isn't that he is a bad athlete, but maybe his body can't handle the strain of the NFL. IT was non-contact and centers and guards have a few hundreds plays a year that can cause injury with contact....so, the fact that he hasn't practiced yet after that non-contact play doesn't bode well.....I want to be wrong.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
"I think Sullivan is more than just a stop gap guy, sometimes just losing footing you can weak your groin muscle, it doesn't make him any less of an athlete or that he's not capable of a full season"
Well, it isn't that he is a bad athlete, but maybe his body can't handle the strain of the NFL. IT was non-contact and centers and guards have a few hundreds plays a year that can cause injury with contact....so, the fact that he hasn't practiced yet after that non-contact play doesn't bode well.....I want to be wrong.

He will be fine - have faith bro! He was limited in practice yesterday ;)

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Its been a long time since the rams have brought in an OL in free agency that has performed well. This year the tide has turned with Whitworth and Sullivan.