Whitworth Concern?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Let me say this first, that I love Whitworth and think his future should be as a coach. He's already coaching up the OL with his workouts, and his mentoring. But that said, I noted before he got hurt last year that his age was beginning to show. He simply seemed less fluid in his play allowing penetration he didn't in previous years. His smooth quick slide wasn't there consistently.

Then he had his ACL/MCL injury and he seemingly miraculously returned from what should have been a season-ending injury. But what concerns me is how he played post-injury last year. It was clear to me that not all was right with Whitworth so just some casual digging I came across this from Jeff Kerr of CBS Sports:

"He allowed 10 pressures and eight hurries in 61 pass-blocking snaps last postseason, the 16.4% pressure percentage allowed significantly higher than the 1.8% pressure percentage allowed in the regular season (326 pass-blocking snaps, six pressures allowed). "

Yes, Andrew has had a full offseason to continue to heal. But I know firsthand how after a certain age we simply do not respond to injuries long-term like we did when we were younger. My concern is that Whitworth despite looking like his old self, may not in fact be that same "old self". Should we expect a new norm from Whitworth going forward? I think it's a very real possibility and with the Rams being so analytic-centric as an organization, I'm sure if Kerr could see it so does the Ram FO. I think they are going to monitor it closely and if Andrew in fact doesn't return to his pre-injury form that Noteboom will be the starter next year. Also, as I've noted in previous posts, Noteboom is in a contract year, and the Rams need to start him or lose him.

Whitworth signed a 3-year extension last year but I said when he did it was a 2 year deal in its structure. That is to say, that the contract is written in anticipation of this year being his final year, to coincide with Noteboom's contract status. I hope that when that time comes the Rams keep Whitworth in the organization as an OL coaching assistant.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'm not too worried, even if I wouldn't be surprised if he has reduced playing time next year. I think he's the type of guy you want in your room, even if he's just on the sidelines. I really hoping he sticks around LA post retirement and stays involved with the team in a coaching or advisory role.

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Not worried, he hurried the injury to come back for postseason. In the interviews I've seen this off-season, he looks to have even bulked his lean mass to my eyes over how he looked the last couple seasons.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO trying to compare these guys with us regular guys and how we all age is apples to oranges. Most of these guys just take so much better care of their bodies they we do and have access to the best trainers and equipment. Plus most are freaks of nature to begin with. Last year when he came back in half the time it should have taken, you knew he would not be 100%

Now with Whitworth I believe takes it to another level. His training plus how he fuels himself. In the interview about the OL working out at his house he noted about his strict diet and when he does allow a cheat meal and he door dashes Taco Bell that he feels it in his joints. Again next level shit there. I mean if I eat Taco Bell I feel it too but it usually it is out my ass not in my joints. Dude is just in tune with himself.

But I get it father time will always win, just not this year or next with Whit.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm not too worried either. Of course I'm higher on Joe Noteboom than most. Having said that, I would be pleasantly surprised if AW made it 17 games in 2021. We all remember Big O. Once the injuries began with him he was a shadow of his former self and soon a Chicago Bear.

dang

Legend
So even if his play regresses from an A- to a B this year he is a solid top 20 OT in the NFL. Not worried this year at least.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Big Whit having a healthy season in 2021 will be a BIG reason the Rams advance in the playoffs and are able to WIN the SB.

Whitworth is the modern day Left Tackle equivalent to QB Tom Brady, WR Jerry Rice, RB Frank Gore, K Morten Anderson, OT Jackie Slater, DE Calais Campbell and many others that played at an unexplainable level well past their prime.

Whit is a special human being and a freak of longevity still playing at the level he does in the NFL.
4345546594_93ef5bb415.jpg

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So even if his play regresses from an A- to a B this year he is a solid top 20 OT in the NFL. Not worried this year at least.
What do you consider "B"? Missing 7 games? More importantly, you consider his 2020 season an "A -"?

In my mind, it's okay to root for an aged LT with diminishing skills, it's just not smart to depend on him. Or label his play "A -" when he's missed 7 games and didn't play all that well in the other 9. JMHO.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
What do you consider "B"? Missing 7 games? More importantly, you consider his 2020 season an "A -"?

In my mind, it's okay to root for an aged LT with diminishing skills, it's just not smart to depend on him. Or label his play "A -" when he's missed 7 games and didn't play all that well in the other 9. JMHO.
How do we not depend on him? By not starting him? He's going to start, and like last year, Noteboom will get reps with the 1s at LT on his veteran's days off. Does that not count as a backup plan? This year, I think Noteboom's focus will be at LT instead of splitting time at LG like he did last year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Noteboom showed he could play there and not embarrass himself. And now it looks like all his reps will be at LT going forward, I feel pretty good about whatever happens with Whitworth.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
How do we not depend on him? By not starting him? He's going to start, and like last year, Noteboom will get reps with the 1s at LT on his veteran's days off. Does that not count as a backup plan? This year, I think Noteboom's focus will be at LT instead of splitting time at LG like he did last year.
I'm speaking of "depending" as in 'he's our best player' (he's not even in our top 5) or 'even.if he declines a little he's better than most' (ah, no).

Is he one of.my favorite players.....hell yeah. But he needs a much better year than 2020 to be an asset

dang

Legend

My point being I believe we will get B level results from Whit this year. B level play at LOT this year is not a major concern to me. That covers this year. He may retire after this year or he may come back for next year. There needs to be a succession plan but that won’t happen this year. As a point of reference I think Our ILBs are C level players at best and options to get them to B level should be explored (noting the drafting of Jones may or may not help this year).

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I'm speaking of "depending" as in 'he's our best player' (he's not even in our top 5) or 'even.if he declines a little he's better than most' (ah, no).

Is he one of.my favorite players.....hell yeah. But he needs a much better year than 2020 to be an asset
Oh okay, gotcha. Have lower expectations.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I feel it too but it usually it is out my ass not in my joints.

You are definitely rolling your joints too tight if you are coughing out of your ass.

Try rolling them a little looser and taking smaller tokes.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not too worried either. Of course I'm higher on Joe Noteboom than most. Having said that, I would be pleasantly surprised if AW made it 17 games in 2021. We all remember Big O. Once the injuries began with him he was a shadow of his former self and soon a Chicago Bear.
My reason for no real concerns this year @ the OLT post is based on the fact that Joseph Noteboom is under contract for this season otherwise this 2021 offense would be in for one serious death once AW went down & that will happen sooner or later just like last season....you can bet on it. IMO it's just completely foolish to believe & talk otherwise.

If new OL coach Carberry does not have a significant comprehensive plan of Whitworth preservation for this season with full utilization of Noteboom being the main ingredient utilized in AW preservation ......where JN is taking a much larger number of snaps during each & every game then Carberry is no better than Kromer & will not be successful here.

Snead has a warehouse of RT's prospects on this roster now with Havenstein, Edwards, Evans, Anchrum, Brewer, Demby & Jackson. The only bona fide pure future LT prospect is imported from another planet Max Pircher & I am not sure he speaks English yet.

Joseph Noteboom has the talent & skills to be a starting LT however his #1 priority is to prove that he can remain healthy for an entire season too!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Whit was playing at a high level last year before the injury. In 2019 he struggled with power rushers and I was concerned the end was near. But then he put together a fine season prior to the injury.

I did notice he was not as good in the playoffs but like above I figured he returned too early. And tbh I was thankful that we didn't have to rely on Boom in the playoffs.

But anyway. It is fair to be concerned with his age. Thing is after he proved me wrong in 2020 I am not interested in doubting him again. I get riding him to the end because he is a heart and soul of the line type.

My hope is he gets a full season and we win him and some others that ring. Then it is reload at LT time. If we get burned we get burned and then we find out what Boom can do.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
My reason for no real concerns this year @ the OLT post is based on the fact that Joseph Noteboom is under contract for this season otherwise this 2021 offense would be in for one serious death once AW went down & that will happen sooner or later just like last season....you can bet on it. IMO it's just completely foolish to believe & talk otherwise.

If new OL coach Carberry does not have a significant comprehensive plan of Whitworth preservation for this season with full utilization of Noteboom being the main ingredient utilized in AW preservation ......where JN is taking a much larger number of snaps during each & every game then Carberry is no better than Kromer & will not be successful here.

Snead has a warehouse of RT's prospects on this roster now with Havenstein, Edwards, Evans, Anchrum, Brewer, Demby & Jackson. The only bona fide pure future LT prospect is imported from another planet Max Pircher & I am not sure he speaks English yet.

Joseph Noteboom has the talent & skills to be a starting LT however his #1 priority is to prove that he can remain healthy for an entire season too!
I almost take Noteboom for granted because every time he's played left tackle he's way above average and definitely adequate to run an offense behind.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If new OL coach Carberry does not have a plan... AW preservation ......where JN is taking a much larger number of snaps during each & every game then Carberry is no better than Kromer & will not be successful here.
I totally agree with what you're saying here but there's potentially two problems with this theory;

One is that we hardly ever see this implemented.

Two is that they would need to have Whitworth agree to this plan and allow himself to be pulled and if he tells the coach he's just getting warmed up kicking ass.... how do you pull a legend like Whitworth?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
My hope is he gets a full season and we win him and some others that ring. Then it is reload at LT time. If we get burned we get burned and then we find out what Boom can do.

At some point father time will catch up, but like you said... let’s get him a ring this year so he can retire at a high level.

tenor.gif