which would you prefer to do to get QB this Spring?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Assuming Osweiler and Cousins are retained...

- Trade for either EJ Manuel or Geno Smith (a 6th may well bring either one)
- Sign any one of Fitzpatrick, Matt Moore or Chase Daniel to be your "vet" option
- Let those two and Mannion fight it out in camp
I would avoid Smith at all costs.
I do like some things about EJ Manuals game.

fearsomefour

Legend
There is only one question to ask at this point regarding the QB position....do the powers that be believe Mannion is a future long term starter? That is where everything begins and ends.
If not then drafting a QB is the highest priority. If so, then bring in a bridge QB is the priority.
As far as a bridge guy Fitz is clearly the guy I think. Will the Jets be dumb enough to let him go? Probably not. Will he cost $10M a year at this point given his level of play? Highly likely.
I would be perfectly happy with Fitz/Keenum/Mannion at QB. How likely is that to happen? Probably not terribly likely.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I would avoid Smith at all costs.
I do like some things about EJ Manuals game.
I don't get the disdain for Smith... I mean, I think he's better than Manuel, although both intrigue me as flyer options. I really thought he was putting it together down the stretch last year - passer ratings of 87.4, 88.2, 83.9 and 158.3 in the final 4, with QBRs of 71.7, 33.6, 52 and 94. And that's with the Jets having no real offensive weapons - his WRs were Eric Decker and a bunch of nobodies (David Nelson, Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley and Jacoby Ford). The one game he started this year he completed 64.3% of his passes for 265 yards, 2 TDs and one pick, for a passer rating of 87.9 and a QBR of 66.2

Plus he brings a bit of a rushing threat with his legs.

Honestly, if he hadn't gotten sucker-punched by a teammate to whom he owed money, I think Fitz would probably still be on the bench contemplating where to go be a backup next. Geno's injury opened the door for him, much like McCown a couple of years ago.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More than likely.
Smith getting injured saved the Jets season. Fitzpatrick is playing very well.
Not sure Fitz wouldn't have "won" the job anyway. If anything, the broken jaw might have saved him from getting cut. They really don't like Geno

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
There is only one question to ask at this point regarding the QB position....do the powers that be believe Mannion is a future long term starter? That is where everything begins and ends.
If not then drafting a QB is the highest priority. If so, then bring in a bridge QB is the priority.
As far as a bridge guy Fitz is clearly the guy I think. Will the Jets be dumb enough to let him go? Probably not. Will he cost $10M a year at this point given his level of play? Highly likely.
I would be perfectly happy with Fitz/Keenum/Mannion at QB. How likely is that to happen? Probably not terribly likely.
That's the million-dollar question, ain't it? You have to assume they drafted Mannion with a (fairly) premium pick because they like him as a future starter in the NFL. I'd like to see him win the job. 3rd-round QBs can be tricksy, though... is he Russell Wilson or is he Mike Glennon?

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't get the disdain for Smith... I mean, I think he's better than Manuel, although both intrigue me as flyer options. I really thought he was putting it together down the stretch last year - passer ratings of 87.4, 88.2, 83.9 and 158.3 in the final 4, with QBRs of 71.7, 33.6, 52 and 94. And that's with the Jets having no real offensive weapons - his WRs were Eric Decker and a bunch of nobodies (David Nelson, Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley and Jacoby Ford). The one game he started this year he completed 64.3% of his passes for 265 yards, 2 TDs and one pick, for a passer rating of 87.9 and a QBR of 66.2

Plus he brings a bit of a rushing threat with his legs.

Honestly, if he hadn't gotten sucker-punched by a teammate to whom he owed money, I think Fitz would probably still be on the bench contemplating where to go be a backup next. Geno's injury opened the door for him, much like McCown a couple of years ago.
I haven't seen a lot of Smith to be honest.
What I have seen I see a guy who has trouble reading, who is late on throws and doesn't see secondary options.....often not seeing wide open receivers. I don't much care about running options in QBs to be honest, probably the most over rated thing in the game right now. Manual seemed to be a little further along the road with the mental game than Smith, but, that is very difficult to assess on a couch from way far away. The separator between the two would be the mental part of the game.
Fitzpatrick is pretty clearly the better QB.

fearsomefour

Legend
Thinking about Mannion, does our coaching staff think anything of him? If so, why wasn't he the backup, so he can get reps in practice? Why wasn't he ready when there is a time of need? Why didn't he get reps when Foles started deteriorating, and even when Keenum had a concussion? It's not as though we have been competing for a wild card, and he hasn't even seen a series IFAIK.

Our starters regularly complete < 50% of relatively short passes, rarely for more than 200 yards passing. If our staff thinks he is worse than that, he will never see the practice field, let alone a game.
If they like him as a long term option they probably have a plan with him. Usually you would not want to derail that by throwing into game action he is not ready for. Physically I am sure he is fine and can compete. The mental side of things is another thing probably.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I haven't seen a lot of Smith to be honest.
What I have seen I see a guy who has trouble reading, who is late on throws and doesn't see secondary options.....often not seeing wide open receivers. I don't much care about running options in QBs to be honest, probably the most over rated thing in the game right now. Manual seemed to be a little further along the road with the mental game than Smith, but, that is very difficult to assess on a couch from way far away. The separator between the two would be the mental part of the game.
Fitzpatrick is pretty clearly the better QB.
Well, he's only really had two full seasons at the NFL level. Keep in mind the speed of the game and the speed of making reads are probably the toughest things for a quarterback to adapt to. Defenses are more complex, and you can't just huck deep balls to Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. I don't disagree with what you've seen of him, but I think that his improved play near the end of his second season shows growth, particularly in reading and exploiting defenses at the NFL level.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, he's only really had two full seasons at the NFL level. Keep in mind the speed of the game and the speed of making reads are probably the toughest things for a quarterback to adapt to. Defenses are more complex, and you can't just huck deep balls to Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey. I don't disagree with what you've seen of him, but I think that his improved play near the end of his second season shows growth, particularly in reading and exploiting defenses at the NFL level.
Could be right that he has improved.
To me, the reason I want a vet guy first, is I think the window with the D is not huge. FA just picks apart teams. With the D in place (assuming the team comes through FA in tact for the most part), Gurley ect....the time to win is now. I just don't want to keep taking chances with guys like Smith and Foles with major holes in their game. I don't want to take a flier on a rookie and have him starting as it rarely works out. To try and win now there is only one way to progress....but, it may not happen, probably won't....so, you know....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to say.
I want nothing to do with Smith though.
Well, I'm not sure how familiar with the Jets situation is, because living here it was pretty clear that Geno was on his way out.
The Jets traded for Fitz, mostly because Chan Gailey wanted to get him and the pick they are giving up is conditional, based on playing time accrued during this year. Since Fitz has taken most the snaps, its going to cost quite a bit. Probably a 4th rounder

Im jealous of how the Jets handled this in a way. Bowles came in and has handed the offense over to Gailey. Trusted him and got him what Gailey wanted. And has pretty much stayed out of the way

fearsomefour

Legend
Well, I'm not sure how familiar with the Jets situation is, because living here it was pretty clear that Geno was on his way out.
The Jets traded for Fitz, mostly because Chan Gailey wanted to get him and the pick they are giving up is conditional, based on playing time accrued during this year. Since Fitz has taken most the snaps, its going to cost quite a bit. Probably a 4th rounder

Im jealous of how the Jets handled this in a way. Bowles came in and has handed the offense over to Gailey. Trusted him and got him what Gailey wanted. And has pretty much stayed out of the way
I hear ya.
A 4th for a solid veteran pocket passer....thats an easy choice to me.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Could be right that he has improved.
To me, the reason I want a vet guy first, is I think the window with the D is not huge. FA just picks apart teams. With the D in place (assuming the team comes through FA in tact for the most part), Gurley ect....the time to win is now. I just don't want to keep taking chances with guys like Smith and Foles with major holes in their game. I don't want to take a flier on a rookie and have him starting as it rarely works out. To try and win now there is only one way to progress....but, it may not happen, probably won't....so, you know....
I'm with you on that. I think a vet + Geno + Mannion would be a great 3-some of QB options. Not really sold on Fitz - I see a lot of Josh McCown in him, and we saw how that worked out for Houston - but I'd go after a Chase Daniel or a Matt Moore to provide the "veteran" guy to compete with the "high-talent" guy and the "in-house developmental" guy.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm with you on that. I think a vet + Geno + Mannion would be a great 3-some of QB options. Not really sold on Fitz - I see a lot of Josh McCown in him, and we saw how that worked out for Houston - but I'd go after a Chase Daniel or a Matt Moore to provide the "veteran" guy to compete with the "high-talent" guy and the "in-house developmental" guy.
Interesting.
I see Fitz as a QB first, meaning because of lack of athletic ability has had to get good at other things, pocket movement, finding guys, reading ect....McCown was always a great athlete. He has developed some pocket skills certainly but I think Fitz is better. If a vet is brought in I think I am keeping Keenum as the back up based on cost alone really.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Interesting.
I see Fitz as a QB first, meaning because of lack of athletic ability has had to get good at other things, pocket movement, finding guys, reading ect....McCown was always a great athlete. He has developed some pocket skills certainly but I think Fitz is better. If a vet is brought in I think I am keeping Keenum as the back up based on cost alone really.
My McCown comparison is less about his game, and more about his situation. Coming in after the starter is injured, having a great year, and heading straight into a contract situation. McCown has done well for himself, but hasn't been anywhere near the guy you saw in Chicago.

Also... one thing Fitz and McCown have in common in their big years is Brandon Marshall. Interesting. Probably irrelevant.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Jets aren't going to let Fitzpatrick go. Bradford will be retained by the Eagles. There won't be many vet options.

I would look into trading up. If it's too costly, then look at the other QBs in the draft.

We are in QB purgatory.

All depends on the draft I do believe they need to draft a Quarterback would love Goff, but don't believe they will have shot at him Carson Wentz could be an excellent choice. I would look to trade or cut Foles and possibly bring in Chase Daniels or Colin Kaepernick, Daniels could be the 2016 version of Tyrod Taylor.

However, with Daniels keep Mannion & Wentz that way you are covered with somebody younger to go with long term. Yes we are in QB purgatory, but you have to make some good selections to get out of purgatory and Case Keenum is not the answer many of his throws float and I can't imagine him in bad weather games.

fearsomefour

Legend
My McCown comparison is less about his game, and more about his situation. Coming in after the starter is injured, having a great year, and heading straight into a contract situation. McCown has done well for himself, but hasn't been anywhere near the guy you saw in Chicago.

Also... one thing Fitz and McCown have in common in their big years is Brandon Marshall. Interesting. Probably irrelevant.
Gotcha....
Good point with McCown in Chicago and you may very well be right. Overall, I think Fitzpatrick has been a solid QB.
Bringing him in (or another vet) is not me thinking he is more than he is....just more than we have now in an effort to win now.