Which of these statements about Von Miller and Aaron Donald is true?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which statement is true?

• Statement 1

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Statement 2

Votes: 30 68.2%
  • Both convey truths. The Rams simply made a choice.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Both represent media/fan sentimentality over decisions that are always about dollars and cents.

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters

Flint

Pro Bowler
I don’t think Robinson and Wagner happen if Von stays and those 2 will have a huge impact this season imo.
There’s nothing wrong with Von taking the money but he’s been in the league a while and made a bunch already so I wouldn’t think that would be THE determining factor, but who knows. That was an interesting article about Von and his role as elder statesman in Denver, that kind of impact was created over a period of years that included periods of dominance, sounds like he was searching for something like that but didn’t find it in LA. He was only here for a short time though, it seems like he could’ve taken on a similar role in LA as it doesn’t seem to be AD’s thing.
Maybe it comes down to being the focal point, which he certainly can be on a young team like Buffalo. All this lands a little different though, when you factor in the fact that Von was actively looking for a spot with Dallas. Von can do what he wants he was a FA, it just seems strange that he’s so torn about this decision he’s crying in the bathroom but he’s calling dudes he knows on other teams to find out if they want him. Sometimes the best deals are ones you don’t make.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I chose statement 2. Miller chased the money. One last chance at the biggest possible payday. And the Bills are a legit contender so he's also chasing a ring. Can't fault him for any of that.

But honestly, I don't think he's anywhere near the player he once was. At 33 its likely he'll have to pace himself during the season and try to step up in the playoffs. Maybe even come up with a minor injury to sit an occasional game. How much he can contribute during the season is anyone's guess. He'll have his moments but he's no longer the dominant pass rusher he once was.

Bobby Wagner is only a year younger so we likely can't expect him to be the player he was in his prime. But his position doesn't require the elite athleticism an edge rusher needs to be dominant. He'll be more of a leader in that defense. A coach on the field. Kinda like Weddle was.

I think it was a wash between the two. We haven't had a really good ILB in quite a while. So while we lost a little on the edge we gain some in the middle. Wagner is different from Miller so we really can't compare. We'll just have to see which position was needed most.

oldnotdead

Legend
Miller never intended to return to the Rams. He took less money but 3 years guaranteed over the Ram's 2 years. Now Miller is saying he wanted to play for Dallas and would have played for less there. Yeah sounds very mercenary.

That's fine because the Rams need a long-term complement to Floyd. Garrett is Okoronkwo's replacement who was hoped to be a long-term backup at that position. Lewis will get every opportunity in TC to finally show he's the guy. That said, the Rams will be opportunistic should a good edge become available via trade or FA signing.

IMO it's more likely to be the latter because Lewis's long term health is a legitimate concern. He has basically been hampered for 3 consecutive years. IMO that is one year too many. I think that Hardy will also be given an opportunity to show he's worthy of consideration. With Hollins playing behind him in run support and coverage, Hardy could have time to develop while he plays.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I chose statement 2. Miller chased the money. One last chance at the biggest possible payday. And the Bills are a legit contender so he's also chasing a ring. Can't fault him for any of that.

But honestly, I don't think he's anywhere near the player he once was. At 33 its likely he'll have to pace himself during the season and try to step up in the playoffs. Maybe even come up with a minor injury to sit an occasional game. How much he can contribute during the season is anyone's guess. He'll have his moments but he's no longer the dominant pass rusher he once was.

Bobby Wagner is only a year younger so we likely can't expect him to be the player he was in his prime. But his position doesn't require the elite athleticism an edge rusher needs to be dominant. He'll be more of a leader in that defense. A coach on the field. Kinda like Weddle was.

I think it was a wash between the two. We haven't had a really good ILB in quite a while. So while we lost a little on the edge we gain some in the middle. Wagner is different from Miller so we really can't compare. We'll just have to see which position was needed most.
Agree that Wagner might have a bigger impact but unlike Weddle Wagner is still very productive on the field. I think last year was a career year for him which makes it that much weirder that they kicked him to the curb without even trying to renegotiate. Wagner is the last guy who needs extra motivation but he surely has it this year. I’m also curious how they utilize him as I’ve heard the hag defense isn’t the most progressive. But this seems to be a move designed to lock down the nfc west opponents which makes it pretty shrewd. The niners are probably not going to be throwing it all over, beating people up in the run game is what they want to do and Wagner has been a thorn in their side for years. I imagine Wagner’s looking forward to reminding the hags Why he went to multiple pro bowls and who knows what the cards are trying to do.

TexasRam

Legend
1. Miller is older and starting a decline.

2. Donald and Kupp we’re gonna get paid based on being OG Rams. (Drafted by Rams).

3. Miller has one last chance for a guaranteed money grab. I don’t personally view that as Greed in the negative sense. Smart financial decision is what it was.

4. Miller may have felt his legacy could be enhanced even greater if he lead the Bills to. Super Bowl Championship. And let’s face it the Bills are peaking right now.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Miller never intended to return to the Rams. He took less money but 3 years guaranteed over the Ram's 2 years. Now Miller is saying he wanted to play for Dallas and would have played for less there. Yeah sounds very mercenary.

That's fine because the Rams need a long-term complement to Floyd. Garrett is Okoronkwo's replacement who was hoped to be a long-term backup at that position. Lewis will get every opportunity in TC to finally show he's the guy. That said, the Rams will be opportunistic should a good edge become available via trade or FA signing.

IMO it's more likely to be the latter because Lewis's long term health is a legitimate concern. He has basically been hampered for 3 consecutive years. IMO that is one year too many. I think that Hardy will also be given an opportunity to show he's worthy of consideration. With Hollins playing behind him in run support and coverage, Hardy could have time to develop while he plays.
It certainly seems like he never intended to come back despite the “anguish” it caused him. He called the Cowboys not the other way around. His friend who plays for the boys said he thought Von had another year on his deal and Von said no, he was done in LA. He was willing to take less than the rams were offering to go to Dallas, and he went to Buffalo to decline their offer in person, which seems above and beyond for a team you have no history with.
Sounds like the rams were 3rd in the running, his preferred destination was Dallas even for less money, but not that much less, when that didn’t work out he was going to give the bills every opportunity to come up with a better offer and they did.
This wasn’t personal it was business, I get that, teams will cut you off at the knees if it suits their purpose so I guess we shouldn’t get all self righteous when a player is working the situation to his advantage.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't blame Von for taking an extra guaranteed year. Easy decision.

Were the Rams unable to keep in the running because of AD? Maybe so. I'd say there is likely a connection.

Adding Robinson and Wagner is a damn nice alternative though.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
Ehh I am not sure I agree with either statement 1 or 2, so I selected the fourth option.

We naturally as fans get attached to these players but sometimes lose sight of the business aspect of it.

If AD wasn’t performing, everyone is well aware that he would be cut or traded. He came through when he needed to, and deserved every penny he earned. I don’t think “we not me” refers to the player’s contracts. It’s doing what’s best for the team on the field, in the weight room, during film sessions, and staying out of trouble. The business side of it is separate.

And as I’ve said before, Von never asked to come to the Rams. The higher-ups in Denver told him what was happening. When he got here, he bought in, taught AD something about being more vocal, and helped win the SB. But I never thought he he would finish his career here. Right after we traded for him, Snead gave an interview and said while the Rams wanted to work on an extension right away, both parties agreed to wait until after the season. That told me Von wanted to test free agency, and he got an absurd deal. Good for him. Any player has the right to maximize their value.