1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Which NFL teams will seek a franchise QB in 2014?

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by -X-, Nov 13, 2013.

1. -X- I'm the dude, man.

Marc Sessler
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ch-nfl-teams-will-seek-a-franchise-qb-in-2014

You're going nowhere in this league without a quarterback.

Not just some straw man who can toss a ball around and manage the game, but ... The Guy.

For teams without one, finding a franchise passer is up there with sourcing the Ark of the Covenant. The search can take decades and cost plenty of jobs in the process.

Ten weeks into the season, half the league is thinking playoffs, but teams without a viable signal-caller are starting to think about tomorrow.

Here's our take on who's going after a new quarterback in 2014.

Done deal

Jacksonville Jaguars, Arizona Cardinals, Cleveland Browns

Jacksonville is the lead horse to finish with the league's ugliest record and top pick in the draft. This year's class of quarterback prospects is rich and deep, and the Jaguars have been eyeing passers since before the start of the season. Blaine Gabbert is cooked, and Chad Henne's fooling himself if he sees this fading campaign as an audition for future starts with the Jags. Say hello to a total reboot.

The Cardinals, under Bruce Arians, won't have top draft status, but nothing would surprise us here. Arizona couldswing a trade for an experienced veteran or take a chance on a rookie. No way they go into battle with Carson Palmer under center in 2014.

I would have notched Cleveland at the top of this list in September, but Brian Hoyer shifts the narrative a tad. We still expect the Browns to package picks in order to move up and get their quarterback of the future.

Strong possibility

Minnesota Vikings, Tennessee Titans, Oakland Raiders

We're not listening to a word of praise heaped on Christian Ponder by the Vikings. Minnesota did all it could to end that experiment this season, and we wouldn't be surprised to see the entire Cassel-Freeman-Ponder three-headed beast swept out of town in the offseason.

Jake Locker has shown promise, but his durability is a hazard. Unless the Titans plan to carry what they deem as two starters, it's time to think about a new plan at the position. Terrelle Pryor has made the Raiders interesting, but the recent knee injury has taken away his ground game and revealed him as a project passer. Oakland is a good bet to look elsewhere.

Up in the air

Philadelphia Eagles, Chicago Bears, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Nick Foles has earned a long look as the potential answer at quarterback, but we expect Chip Kelly to bring in a rookie he can groom from scratch.Michael Vick is history, so a newbie could learn behind Foles and give Kelly that "competition" he adores at the position.

The burning question in Chicago is the future of Jay Cutler. He's played well under Marc Trestman, but so has Josh McCown. The Bearsfinally have an outstanding quarterback teacher, and we wouldn't be shocked to see Trestman move on from Cutler and stamp his tenure in the Windy City with a hand-picked talent from the college ranks. Mike Glennon has showed potential in Tampa, but assuming a new coaching staff takes over -- and with the Bucs looking at a top-shelf draft pick -- Glennon's job is far from secure.

Anything's possible

St. Louis Rams, Houston Texans, Pittsburgh Steelers

Are the Rams really any worse withKellen Clemens at the controls? While we're at it, remind us of that signature victory Sam Bradford spun this season, or last -- or the one before that. All indications have St. Louis sitting pretty with their overpaid starter, but coming off a major knee injury, Bradford's situation could change if theRams fall in love with a young quarterback in the draft process.

The Texans would dominate this list ifCase Keenum hadn't emerged as one of the league's most exciting young gunslingers over the past few weeks. As for Pittsburgh, we think the Steelers doth protest too much. They'll listen to offers, and if someone -- maybe Arians -- blows them away, anything can happen in the Steel City.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" recapped every Week 10 game. Click here to listen and subscribe.

2. PhxRam The Estimated Prophet

Is it just me or does anyone else understand what he is saying regarding the Rams.

3. -X- I'm the dude, man.

[​IMG]

4. jjab360 Well-Known Member

Just because the media didn't pay attention to the Rams' comeback win against Arizona in week 1 doesn't mean it didn't happen.

5. -X- I'm the dude, man.

I guess "signature win" is something else that needs to be qualified before we can answer that. Clemens' game against Indy was probably the signature win of his career, even though it only took 9 completions. He was the QB, and the Rams beat a team that was expected to win big. As it relates to Bradford, I guess it could be the win against SF last year in OT, or the win against Washington last year? Those were high profile games against playoff teams too.

Pretty sure the team, as a whole, needs to be a contender before the *QB* can have a signature win too. At the risk of sounding like I'm marginalizing the importance of the QB, let me just say that I'm pretty tired of the rest of the 46 man game-day roster getting little recognition for their efforts in the wins and losses in which the QB happens to be a part.

6. Angry Ram aka Captain RAmerica aka the OG Rammer

What the freak is a "signature win?" A win is a win. A loss is a loss. And it all depends on a number of factors including and going beyond the QB.

7. mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

Ya know, all this garbage goes away after Sam lights it up. It's predictable! I sure hope the young guys continue to grow so all this trash on Brasford will go up in flames. Imagine how bad Clemens would look if Richardson was still the starting RB? Then there'd just be more "draft a QB" talk. It doesn't end...

8. flv 

The Colts got themselves into a messy situation. In March '11 they thought Manning would be ready for the season. In July mini-camp they thought Manning would be back soon. In pre-season the talk was of Manning coming back for Week 1. When the season started they though he'd be back after a few games. It got to mid-season and the reality finally hit home. Manning wasn't coming back and they were tanking a season. Fortunately they had Luck waiting in the Draft. The Rams will be foolish if they don't come up with a plan-B, (just in case Bradford has a setback).
    I don't see the Rams trading up into the top 10 to get a QB but they should look for someone better than Clemens either as a potential reboot or as a stop-gap.

2 people like this.
  9. HitStick Well-Known Member

Rams were not supposed to beat the undefeated Cards last year. They were not supposed to be Washington, Seattle, or San Fran either. They were not supposed to beat the Texans this year either...

Not sure what he's getting at...

10. Ramhusker Well-Known Member Pit Boss

Agreed, it would be foolish for the Rams not to try and upgrade the position just in case but of course, that is what teams try and do every year. I think the question come draft time is always "which positions need to be upgraded the worst"? This coming draft, the Rams should have around 10 picks so I'm sure a QB will be among them.

11. Ramrasta The Knight Owl

This Marc Sess-pool guy is clueless. The Rams beat and tied the NFC West champions last year along with beating the skins and the Seahawks which were two playoff teams. I guess this guy qualifies a "signature win" as the Super Bowl...

12. Ramrasta The Knight Owl

*NFC Champions^ (correction)

13. Rams and Gators Well-Known Member Pit Boss

Our problem last season wasn't signature wins, we had the best record against playoff teams of any none playoff team (could have been second). Our problem was making people like Mark Sanchez look like pro bowlers.

14. duckhunter Well-Known Member

Here's a list of the top QBs and a general consensus of which round they to go:
    *guys I like

Bridgewater, Louisville, 1st *
    Hundley, UCLA, 1st
    Mariota, Ore, 1st *
    Boyd, Clem, 1st
    Manziel, TAMU, 1st *
    Carr, Fresno St, 1st *
    Hogan, Stan, 2nd
    Mettenberger, LSU, 2nd
    Murray, Ga, 3rd *
    McCarron, Ala, 3rd
    Mannion, Ore St, 4th *
    Fales, San Jose St, 4th
    Morris, Mia, 4th
    Thomas, VTech, 4th

Since Jeff has said he's sticking with SB, there will be some blue chippers pushed down to us in the first. That will be nice.

It's very possible for the top 6 guys go top 15.

I'm not opposed to giving SB some competition either but think Snisher goes with someone like Mannion in the 4th.

Choose you poison or koolaide as you like.

15. BigRamFan Living the life Jimmy Buffett only sang about.

It would be like Christmas in May if those first 6 go in the top 15, although I don't see it happening. That would send us 2 likely day one starters! My hope is that we grab McCarron in the 3rd/4th. Not flashy, doesn't do anything great but pretty darn good across the board.

16. BigRamFan Living the life Jimmy Buffett only sang about.

And we all know that was on our QB. :cray:

17. BigRamFan Living the life Jimmy Buffett only sang about.

Yeah, neither is he. Apparently he had to get something/anything written before deadline. :jerkoff:

18. flv 

I'm not agreeing with the author. The point I think he's trying to make is that Bradford isn't a difference maker at QB. Statistically we've won a total of 9 games in the last 2 years. 6 of those wins came against teams that scored 14 points or less against us. You expect to win those games with any decent starting quality QB. Of the other 3 wins 1 was against an awful Cardinals team that was in the middle of an 11-game losing streak. Another was the inexplicable Saints game when we were 0-6 with AJ Feeley at QB and they just beaten the Colts 62-7. There are very few occasions when you can say that we weren't the best team on the day but Bradford made the difference and got us the win.
    There are some games where we should have been well beaten but Bradford has kept us in them and given us a chance to win. That gets overlooked.

19. BigRamFan Living the life Jimmy Buffett only sang about.

I think your count is off a bit here. Last year's team finished 7-8-1 and we've won 4 this year, so 11 in the last year and a half. Also the game you referenced against the Saints was in 2011, so not in the last 2.

Nonetheless, wins is not a true QB stat. They belong to the team, as do the losses. But if you choose to look at it from that perspective how can you say Sam is not a difference maker? He inherited a team in 2010 that had won 3 games the previous 2 years and the 2010 team put up 7 W's that year alone.

20. mr.stlouis Well-Known Member

2 first rounders coming our way! That'd be sweet.