Where's Bailey?!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I haven't heard why he wasn't used on Sunday. He should be ready, no? Will he play the Eagles or is Fisher making him serve his sentence?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
He hadn't practiced with the team for about 3 weeks...probably wasn't ready to be a big part of the game plan. Plus, he is behind both Quick and Britt on the depth chart.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He hadn't practiced with the team for about 3 weeks...probably wasn't ready to be a big part of the game plan. Plus, he is behind both Quick and Britt on the depth chart.

That could be the case. If he was ready, I can't see how Givens makes the field.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
He played in the game but didn't get any targets... I seen him wide open on 1 play

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Bailey played 20 snaps 10 on offense & 10 on Special Teams

Last edited:

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Maybe Austin Davis is comfy with Bailey yet. Give Davis a week and I'll bet we Davis to Bailey connections soon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, the way Davis spreads the ball around he'll become comfortable with Bailey soon enough.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I heard Fisher say, because of the New CBA, the Players get 4 days off during the bye week. So when will they start practicing again?

Athos

Legend
Bailey needs to see a ton of duty in the slot in the absence of Tavon.

I am also mystified as to why we ran the end around with Cook, and not Bailey if Bailey was playing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I am also mystified as to why we ran the end around with Cook, and not Bailey if Bailey was playing.

I think you can figure it out. You're a smart guy. I mean that sincerely. :)

People get tunnel vision when they think about these things. Think about the game in terms of personnel packages and match-ups. Cook is extremely fast for a TE but teams still have to treat him as a TE.

On that specific play, the Rams went heavy with 22 personnel(HB, FB, 2 TEs). Dallas responded by putting 8 in the box including 6 on the LOS. I'll post the pre-snap picture for you:
End-around_zps0b9d268f.png

The Rams align both TEs and the FB to the strong-side of the formation which means Dallas must counter by aligning two LBs and their CB to the strong-side. That means there's only two players assigned to the weak-side of the defense beyond the DL(FS and CB). Brian Quick can block the CB. That leaves one guy to account for.

Here's why the play didn't work. I'll give the FS props in that he did a great job of maintaining his gap discipline on the play. However, he would have been no issue for us if not for Bruce Carter. Jake Long released too far up-field on the play. He was supposed to seal Carter inside and had the opportunity to do so. Issue was in getting too far up-field, Carter cut underneath Long and was able to set the edge and engage Cory Harkey. This strung the play out and didn't allow Cook to cut up-field until he was nearly run out of bounds. It was a great play by Carter and a mistake by Long. If Long doesn't get so far up-field, he seals Carter in and Harkey is able to lead Cook to the edge and block the FS. Which means that Cook has a lot of green in front of him.
End-around_2_zpsc7d21d70.png

You can see it here. Long is too far up-field which allows Carter to run under him and engage Harkey as he comes around the edge. He then continues to move down the LOS until he forces Cook outside the numbers. Had Long sealed Carter on the play, Harkey gets to turn that corner and the safety is going to have to avoid or defeat the block of Harkey. The unblocked guy next to Wells is a DT and no threat to Cook due to his lack of speed. This means that Cook can cut it up-field almost immediately and if Harkey engages the safety, Cook has a lot of open room. Again, play design is sound here. Just one missed assignment ended up ruining the play.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Nice work @jrry32. I like to see stuff like this and have the explanation to go with it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah really enjoyed reading the play breakdown. And overall seems to me the offensive personnel are doing a much, much better job of executing, across the board. Makes me wonder how good this offense might become if they can keep guys healthy and continue to grow/merge as a unit.

As a side note I give Davis a lot of credit as well in all this. Him putting that ball deeper than teams are used to seeing even with a little risk seems to have significantly boosted the confidence and upside of the players in this scheme. I am very excited about this offense, and that still shocks me to say the least.

Big Game

Living The Dream

I was thinking the same thing at the game like wow really 89 is running that play smh that was Shotty being Shotty

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
If he is behind Quick and Britt on the depth chart that is poor coaching.
Why wouldn't he be behind two players who have been at every practice/game while he was at home during his suspension?

Big Game

Living The Dream
Yeah really enjoyed reading the play breakdown. And overall seems to me the offensive personnel are doing a much, much better job of executing, across the board. Makes me wonder how good this offense might become if they can keep guys healthy and continue to grow/merge as a unit.

As a side note I give Davis a lot of credit as well in all this. Him putting that ball deeper than teams are used to seeing even with a little risk seems to have significantly boosted the confidence and upside of the players in this scheme. I am very excited about this offense, and that still shocks me to say the least.

Totally agree only problem I have with the offense at times is the play calling itself. For example the 4th and one play. You need less then a chain length a QB sneak will get you the first down and you all a play that pulls the guard hands it off to the RB who is 5 yards back to pick up inches? Not a good play call and there where others.

But I do like the fact that other teams defenses can't stack the box all game and we are taking shots when they do.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Why wouldn't he be behind two players who have been at every practice/game while he was at home during his suspension?
Is this Little League? Where the kids that show up most get to play the most. He should be ahead because he's a better player then Quick and Britt.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is this Little League? Where the kids that show up most get to play the most. He should be ahead because he's a better player then Quick and Britt.

First off, it's dubious at best that he's better than Quick. Quick in the first three games this year has had three games better than any Bailey has had receiving in the NFL. They both looked good in training camp of course. I just don't see how you can argue that.

Britt looked great in training camp, as did Bailey. However, in the NFL practice does make a difference. Bailey missed 3 weeks of practice - including the only 2 weeks where Davis was getting most of the reps in practice. Unless you're arguing that getting reps with the starting QB doesn't matter for receivers, you really don't have any case. Hint: Don't argue that - you'll look silly.