Where I was wrong

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I was wrong about drafting Gurley, then wrong again when I thought his injury would make him a non factor for most of the year.

He is a huge reason why this year I'm totally fine with taking the BPA in the draft, and why I'm willing to include LT position in that statement.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly didn't know what to expect but I had these concerns:
* OC with no NFL experience at that job
* QB coach (see above)
* Which Foles were we going to see?
* Oline that was green as the pastures in Ireland
* Relying too much on a rookie RB (although that picture has become clearer, in a good way)
* Quick's ability to come back strong after a very serious injury
* The ability of the other WRs (who haven't shown they are anything other than average, at best) to emerge
* Expecting Cook to be reliable
* Jeff Fisher's conservative influence on the offense

Unfortunately, most of these concerns turned out to be valid.

A lot of question marks in my mind going into the season... so I "curbed my enthusiasm" :(

That really doesn't help much... the season has still hurt.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Quick wasn't just a second round pick. He was the 33rd overall pick. That was a botched selection.

AND... it's not like Quick was on anybody's radar screen. That pick sent everyone scrambling to the internet to figure out who this guy was. He wasn't in the top 10 of available receivers on any draft board I saw.

A total wtf moment.

Worst of all, Alshon Jeffery was right there. The Rams desperately needed to hit on a WR. It was the perfect marriage of need meets opportunity. I don't know if this is quite on par with the Desean Jackson / Donny Avery debacle, but it's gotta be next in line. If you're going to play "smartest guy in the room", you just can't totally whiff like that.

I'm not against projects, but get them later. Quick would have been there in the 4th.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is why I mentioned before that the Rams should trade Tavon. Use him as part of a move up to get Goff, because his value on the market will be much greater than what he adds to the Rams during the season.

Of course you guys lit me up pretty good for saying it, and I expected that. But I still think the best use of Tavon is in trade UNLESS they get an OC in here that can run a wide open offense that stretches defenses horizontally and vertically. Which of course won't happen with Fish in charge. So just put the guy to good use as part of a move up for a guy who will set this team up for the long haul at QB.

Ummm, no.

Tavon, along with Gurley, is the reason i watch the Rams play.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What did you think the Rams were going to do this season that they didn't?
I was sure the Rams would score more off of their Run game, and it would open-up their passing game a little. I never expected a lot from the Passing game. But I expected a lot more than we got!!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
So you can't blame Foles despite the fact that he's been easily the worst player on our offense this year and has held the offense back more than any other player? But we can blame the OL, WRs/TEs, and former OC?

That seems awful unfair to me. If we're pointing fingers, Foles better be getting a finger pointed at him. He's been downright atrocious this year. Worst starting QB in the NFL by a significant margin.

What did I think the Rams were going to do? Have a strong running game and get enough out of their passing game that we could have a serviceable offense. I mistakenly believed that Foles, AT MINIMUM, could give us similar production to what the combination of Hill and Davis gave us last year.(20 TDs to 16 Ints)
Ok! Be Honest everyone. We all where hoping for the Foles that Was Smokin' everyone a couple years ago!! We didn't get it!! Now we move on!!
to who, I don't know, we play the Cards we're dealt!!
A Certain Giants coach could find himself out of a job. Which could put "Eli" on the Market!! Just sayin'! Anything goes!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And to think Isaac Bruce was a second round pick

(God bless you Chuck Knox)
I didn't know this before. Martz was QB coach when Bruce was drafted in 1994, but he became the WR coach in 1995 under Rich Brooks and that's when Bruce had that huge year of 119 receptions and 1781 yards. Coincidence?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok! Be Honest everyone. We all where hoping for the Foles that Was Smokin' everyone a couple years ago!! We didn't get it!! Now we move on!!
to who, I don't know, we play the Cards we're dealt!!
A Certain Giants coach could find himself out of a job. Which could put "Eli" on the Market!! Just sayin'! Anything goes!

I think the Giants will most likely make Ben McAdoo the new Head Coach when Coughlin goes. That's the rumor.(he's the HC in waiting)

Which will likely mean Eli stays. But I'd move heaven and earth to get Eli or Brees this off-season. Buys us a couple of years to find our QB of the future and makes us into an almost immediate contender.(will still need to improve the weapons and OL)

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I was wrong about Gurley as well, thought he was a luxury pick and a bad one at that, thought we should have gone with Gordon.

I was wrong about Fairley, I thought he would have ate his way out of here by camp.

Was wrong about Bud Sasser, thought he'd be the surprise stud this team needed, and in that same vein I was wrong about Marquez being another special teamer who wouldn't amount to much in his listed position.

I was wrong about giving up my leeriness about Foles, couple of weeks later and he's proven me right and proven me wrong at the same time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was wrong in that I thought Foles might be just good enough to allow us an average offense.

FRO

Legend
AND... it's not like Quick was on anybody's radar screen. That pick sent everyone scrambling to the internet to figure out who this guy was. He wasn't in the top 10 of available receivers on any draft board I saw.

A total wtf moment.

Worst of all, Alshon Jeffery was right there. The Rams desperately needed to hit on a WR. It was the perfect marriage of need meets opportunity. I don't know if this is quite on par with the Desean Jackson / Donny Avery debacle, but it's gotta be next in line. If you're going to play "smartest guy in the room", you just can't totally whiff like that.

I'm not against projects, but get them later. Quick would have been there in the 4th.
It was exactly like picking Donnie Avery all over again. Picking a guy no one expected to get picked there and who failed. The sad thing is Avery was much better than Quick. Hindsight now has Jeffrey as the guy and that may not be fair, but Quick was a disaster at 33.

FRO

Legend
I was wrong in that I thought Foles might be just good enough to allow us an average offense.
I think we all would have been fine with 2014 Foles. I was hoping for an in between of 2013 and 2014 Foles. We got the worst version of Foles. He was absolutely brutal.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I was wrong about Foles, thought he would be great as our QB. He didn't exactly have a superstar cast around him, but still, he sucked.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I was wrong thinking JL55 would be a top 5 linebacker in this league with a consistent defense. I have defended him to the death. But he's just not that good. Have you noticed if our Dline doesn't stop the running back behind or at the LOS, he gains 10 yards everytime? That's JLs fault. He's too slow and can't shed blocks.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I thought I couldn't get any cooler this year.

Man. Swing and a miss on that one.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I was wrong thinking JL55 would be a top 5 linebacker in this league with a consistent defense. I have defended him to the death. But he's just not that good. Have you noticed if our Dline doesn't stop the running back behind or at the LOS, he gains 10 yards everytime? That's JLs fault. He's too slow and can't shed blocks.
I think that his worst problem is that he plays too close to the LOS and gets tied up in the line play instead of staying free where he can react to the ball carrier.
Don't know if this is his problem or if its the coaching/scheme.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I disagree that Foles isn't to blame. It's one thing if he were hitting receivers and they were dropping the ball all the time. He was misfiring horrible consistently. He was missing reads. He had 2 nice games and the rest were mediocre at best.

I'm not saying he isn't to blame really. I'm saying we knew he would suck behind a weak o-line and he did. The dropped passes killed drives a lot of the time too.
I was sure the Rams would score more off of their Run game, and it would open-up their passing game a little. I never expected a lot from the Passing game. But I expected a lot more than we got!!

Yeah, me too. And I thought the defense would kick in on some scores.

Memphis Ram

Legend

A total wtf moment.

The casual draft fans may have went scrambling for info, but the true hardcore draftniks knew about Quick.

Small school draft expert Josh Buchanan talked about his a bit that off season.

Here's another example:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-with-small-school-draft-expert-josh-buchanan

Basically, Quick being selected in round two wasn't a big surprise. But, Quick being selected at the top of the round and ahead of Jeffrey was a surprise though.