Where I was wrong

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I thought Foles could hit the go up and get it long ball with Quick and Britt.

Cigi decided to throw a lot of those to Austin which was just moronic. Austin doesn't ever catch deep passes because he's always painted, no deep speed, and especially from inaccurate deep passers. Quick never came back and I still have no real understanding of why. Britt is the only one who did catch them when they were even catchable.

I hoped the o-line would hold.

I didn't think it would, I hoped it would, and it didn't. Not even close. They were actually allowing the Rams to win some until they folded with injuries. This was a major underestimation on my part. Not that I betted on it, but it seemed to be possible that the Rams had the answer with the draft and supplemental draft.

I was sure they would use TA more.

They haven't. He's now at less than 1 more touch per game than last season even while producing at an impressive rate. 9.1 YPC and they next to ignore him. Does anyone realise that his WR title means nothing? His passing plays are few and ineffective after everyone has seen them. Wait, let's go deep to him for an incomplete. That'll work.

That's where I thought we would be winners. A deep game that never materialised, O-line holding just enough or better, TA usage that became a myth over reality.

I can't blame Foles because everything else failed that he needed, he has never had the skills to reduce the effect of no line or receivers, and that I blame on coaching.

What did you think the Rams were going to do this season that they didn't?

Last edited:

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
I was convinced that this year, the Rams were not going to break my heart. :'(

FRO

Legend
I didn't know Foles was going to be this bad. I mean you may have a legitimate debate weather he or Banks were worse.

As far as the jump balls, Britt and Quick aren't starting caliber receivers. Snead and Fisher grossly overestimated our WR talent.

Also I was very worried that Davis and Hill were being scapegoated. They posted solid combined numbers last year. Yeah their weak arms left plays on the field, but we blamed all our offensive woes on the QB last year and it went much deeper than that.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was convinced that this year, the Rams were not going to break my heart. :'(

Me too. Not that they would start out well, but that they would finish well. I thought the o line might gell and that Quick would emerge and they would finally give TA the ball. Nope.

RamzFanz

Damnit
As far as the jump balls, Britt and Quick aren't starting caliber receivers.

I don't agree, even now, I thought Quick could be a number one on an average passing O team and Britt a two. The QB play sucked ass and Britt has actually proven he can be a two with some amazing catches. Dude seems to get no respect even though he so often produces in a position he shouldn't be in with QBs that can't hit him. Quick was a dud this season. If you think Britt isn't starting caliber, as a two, you should review his catches this season. Amazing catches. Horrible passes.

Also I was very worried that Davis and Hill were being scapegoated. They posted solid combined numbers last year. Yeah their weak arms left plays on the field, but we blamed all our offensive woes on the QB last year and it went much deeper than that.

I agree they were scapegoated, but they also sucked. The o-line this season was even worse. When do the Rams realise offense starts with the line?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you can't blame Foles despite the fact that he's been easily the worst player on our offense this year and has held the offense back more than any other player? But we can blame the OL, WRs/TEs, and former OC?

That seems awful unfair to me. If we're pointing fingers, Foles better be getting a finger pointed at him. He's been downright atrocious this year. Worst starting QB in the NFL by a significant margin.

What did I think the Rams were going to do? Have a strong running game and get enough out of their passing game that we could have a serviceable offense. I mistakenly believed that Foles, AT MINIMUM, could give us similar production to what the combination of Hill and Davis gave us last year.(20 TDs to 16 Ints)

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As far as the jump balls, Britt and Quick aren't starting caliber receivers.
I agree in terms of Quick. IMO Britt is a complimentary guy who could succeed with talent on the other side of the field.

RamzFanz

Damnit
So you can't blame Foles despite the fact that he's been easily the worst player on our offense this year and has held the offense back more than any other player? But we can blame the OL, WRs/TEs, and former OC?

That seems awful unfair to me. If we're pointing fingers, Foles better be getting a finger pointed at him. He's been downright atrocious this year. Worst starting QB in the NFL by a significant margin.

What did I think the Rams were going to do? Have a strong running game and get enough out of their passing game that we could have a serviceable offense. I mistakenly believed that Foles, AT MINIMUM, could give us similar production to what the combination of Hill and Davis gave us last year.(20 TDs to 16 Ints)

I can't blame Foles because we all knew who he was. If you start Foles, you need a line and you have to catch the balls he hits you in the hands with. If it's a long ball, you have to go up and get it. Period. There is no more. I said the same before the season and will prove it if you need me to.

He's the player on our offense that held us back more than any other player? Sure, yes, that's true. If you dismiss that he was a winning QB at 7 weeks with horrible drops, no idea how to use him, and no protection, yes. Then he decomposed. After the GB game in which he was slaughtered, he was not winning again in this system.

Foles sucked after GB which just plays exactly into what I was saying, he wasn't on the right team at that point.

You're god damned right you can ALSO blame the o-line, WR/TE, and former OC. Straight up. If they didn't fail so much, even you might be thinking Foles was good enough right now. QBs don't play in a vacuum and Foles had some big wins when the team and he was healthy.

This offense sucks. I'm glad Keenum is in. I've been advocating for it for some time but not because Foles couldn't win with a good O line and receivers that would fight for the ball but because Keenum could win with a bad O line and receivers that didn't fight for the ball.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree in terms of Quick. IMO Britt is a complimentary guy who could succeed with talent on the other side of the field.

Britt, ignoring numbers he can't control, has made more badass catches this season than the rest combined. Dude is a prototypical number two that destroys defenses if all the pressure isn't on him. He's not a top dog, he's a dog that makes a top dog great.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't blame Foles because we all knew who he was.

So your point is that Foles doesn't deserve blame because he isn't good enough to get it but the other players do deserve blame because it was their job to carry him? :thinking:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
If nothing else we should have had a strong running game, right? Well I can't blame them for all of the injuries on the line. Even now they continue to improve, so I'm not bent. I think we do have the answer there, or at least continue to work toward it.

What completely shocked me? That Foles would be this bad. I think the reason for that is partially on Cignetti. The timing was always off on his passes and his confidence was shot in the receivers catching it, the line holding up for it, and maybe most importantly the passing plays designed, but also Foles executing.

I mean man did he stare at his intended receiver from the snap to the throw, and our play design exposed that. I don't know how many reads he really had on most plays, as opposed to which routes were run as decoys only knowing that our boneheaded quarterback wouldn't go through his reads or our line wouldn't hold up, but he always seemed locked on to one target.

And yes, it is sad. He may actually go down as the quarterback who managed to suck worse than Banks. At least Tony had the appearance of mobility and the excuse of inexperience.

RamzFanz

Damnit
So your point is that Foles doesn't deserve blame because he isn't good enough to get it but the other players do deserve blame because it was their job to carry him? :thinking:

Not at all. Re read my post and be serious or just use the emoticon to express what you feel.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If nothing else we should have had a strong running game, right? Well I can't blame them for all of the injuries on the line. Even now they continue to improve, so I'm not bent. I think we do have the answer there, or at least continue to work toward it.

What completely shocked me? That Foles would be this bad. I think the reason for that is partially on Cignetti. The timing was always off on his passes and his confidence was shot in the receivers catching it, the line holding up for it, and maybe most importantly the passing plays designed, but also Foles executing.

I mean man did he stare at his intended receiver from the snap to the throw, and our play design exposed that. I don't know how many reads he really had on most plays, as opposed to which routes were run as decoys only knowing that our boneheaded quarterback wouldn't go through his reads or our line wouldn't hold up, but he always seemed locked on to one target.

And yes, it is sad. He may actually go down as the quarterback who managed to suck worse than Banks. At least Tony had the appearance of mobility and the excuse of inexperience.

I agree, Foles may have sucked or it may be the illusion of what he was called to do. But they fired them both.

To me, I feel bad for both of them because a decent o line and a few easy catches change the entire season. We blame them, I blame them, but the o line sucked ass and the WRs sucked ass. It's a fact, they sucked.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I had no illusions about foles being great but i thought he would at least be competent. He was horrible. I've never seen a qb that was so late with his throws almost every single time. And his passes were like scud missiles, you never knew how far off target they would be from one play to the other.

I was very disappointed with the receivers. I understand that the late throws from foles put them in these situations more than what is normal but they just can't catch a ball if a defender is on them. When i watch other teams their receivers make great contested catches throughout the game. Not the Rams.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still had faith in Foles till the Bengals game . Now I think he is downright horrible

FRO

Legend
I don't agree, even now, I thought Quick could be a number one on an average passing O team and Britt a two. The QB play sucked ass and Britt has actually proven he can be a two with some amazing catches. Dude seems to get no respect even though he so often produces in a position he shouldn't be in with QBs that can't hit him. Quick was a dud this season. If you think Britt isn't starting caliber, as a two, you should review his catches this season. Amazing catches. Horrible passes.

I agree they were scapegoated, but they also sucked. The o-line this season was even worse. When do the Rams realise offense starts with the line?
Britt has had what 7 years in the league to prove otherwise, and he hasn't. He isn't a starting caliber WR. He looks the part, he doesn't consistently play the part. As far as Quick, he isn't playing the part. He plays small and unfocused.

I totally agree our QBs last year sucked. I was in no way trying to make a point otherwise, I just feel that we blamed all our offensive problems on them.

FRO

Legend

There is plenty of blame to go around on offense, but Foles deserves every criticism he has received. He has been horrible this year and seemingly gets worse every time he goes out there. There is no way you can absolve Foles from blame this year. And yes our receivers and line have sucked as well. There is enough blame to go around that's for sure.