Where for art thou Stedman?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
that was 30yrs ago :)

actually, i've tried to find someone who took photos of the event, but without success.
JUST LIKE MY VID of me stickin my thumb up my butt and lifting myself off the ground, no Beta machines left to show it on:juiced::rofl:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
So let me see if I get this straight? We want Quick to continue to progress. We EXPECT Givens to be the "best WR" based on what he accomplished last year. Pettis is the most experienced and "dependable" WR of the group, Austin is supposed to be the big play guy who was brought in to be the dynamic receiver this team has lacked........

But they are ALL supposed to take a back seat to a guy who was a 3rd round pick who has been "backing up" Givens since training camp?

There are only so many reps to go around, and barring INJURY to any of the aforementioned "top 4", find me a FIFTH WR on any roster who deserves to take reps away from guys who in and of themselves, are still in the developmental stage of their careers.

After watching him throughout training camp, it was very apparent WHY he is 5th on the depth chart. He just doesn't have the same overall ability as the guys ahead of him. Flashes, yes. Consistently as good? NO!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
CoachO makes very valid points. And, when you are running 2 and 3 TE sets there are even fewer reps to go around.

The coaching staff sees these guys every day in practice they believe in Quick and it has shown by him getting more PT. Bailey is a backup guy someone maybe 2 would have to be hurt for him to see more time. I would prefer the best players are on the field and I'm sure that is why he is not there.

There is nothing to back up the claims that he is the best route runner has the best hands or is best looking in horns. The evidence is that the coaches know more than fans.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
JUST LIKE MY VID of me stickin my thumb up my butt and lifting myself off the ground, no Beta machines left to show it on:juiced::rofl:
Somehow I'd like to think that my performance of a West Side Story song in front of 1,000 people took just a little more "talent" than your artistic performance :D

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But they are ALL supposed to take a back seat to a guy who was a 3rd round pick who has been "backing up" Givens since training camp?
Did you see me say that? There are ways to play yourself into the starting lineup, and he has. Sparingly. All I said was, I'd like to see more of him.

What round was Zach Stacy drafted in? How many other players, drafted higher, are now playing Miss Daisy because of what he was able to do with his opportunity?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'd like to see Stedman get a few reps here and there, so we can a glimpse of where his progression is. I suspect the coaching staff already knows what his progression is. In terms of "he has the best hands on the team"...we don't know that. We also don't know if he knows the playbook well enough to get an extended look. What the coaches don't know is how well he would play during game time, they haven't seen it, neither have we. I would like to see him gain some development in that area, as well as the rest of our rookies through the end of the year. It would just be good experience and a better understanding for all going forward in what we have vs. what we need.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
yup, would be nice to see what we have in the way of gametime talent before we enter the draft.

WvuIN02

Starter
Of course he is going to be buried deep on the depth chart when stars like the Rams #1 wr Chris Givens are ahead of him and averaging a whole two and a half catches a game and 0 tds.

Bailey will eventually get his time though, not many rookies do much in the NFL. Usually it happens in year two and on.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Of course he is going to be buried deep on the depth chart when stars like the Rams #1 wr Chris Givens are ahead of him and averaging a whole two and a half catches a game and 0 tds.

Bailey will eventually get his time though, not many rookies do much in the NFL. Usually it happens in year two and on.
Kind of a contradiction, don't you think? You're mocking Givens and his "whole two and a half catches a game" while saying rookies don't do much in the NFL, but I guess you missed the NFL *rookie* record Givens set last year relative to consecutive games with a 50+ yard catch.

duckhunter

Starter
All our receivers are in various stages of development at this point. Granted the OC game calling and receivers coach daily work and other factors are in play here but at this point I'm not as big on Pettis or Quick as others. I see improvements but little results or consistency for the amount of reps they get. They seem to come on a little when the opposing team has a lead late in the game and are playing off coverage. Neither has produced much in the first quarter when testing the skills of the player across from them. Sam definitely hasn't found either to be a go to guy because he doesn't target either much early or the stats would show that. I wonder why? I wonder if both have limited route running skills and trouble getting separation. Hopefully they will improve. Givens often gets double coverage so that gives a clue of who the opposing teams thinks our best is.

The first thing I look for in a receiver is hands and we have many ahead of Bailey that couldn't catch a cold with no clothes on in a cold spring rain, no matter how big, fast or pretty they are. Some one has posted stats we are the worst in the league concerning drops. Whatever the coaches are doing hasn't changed that. How about: drop the ball ride the effing bench for a half. See if that might resolve the inability to do the simple things right. Or let's continue with: Pat em on the back and say that is OK you'll get it next time big fella.

The Rams have had plenty of garbage time and will have more the rest of the season to at least get a look at Bailey.

Just because some may be fortunate to watch camp early doesn't mean the rest wouldn't like to see the odd man out get a chance. Spring practice and training camp was a generation ago in developmental time. The rest of the receivers haven't shined that much to warrant Bailey not getting a few reps.

Of course, unless you think we are going to the Superbowl or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All our receivers are in various stages of development at this point.

^ This.

I'm not surprised by his playing time. He's green.

But... I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more of him with scripted opportunity. Unfortunately Schotty seems to be struggling to adapt to the players we have... "Fitting the offense to them" instead of the other way around.

fancents86

Starter
All of those people trying to explain Bailey's lack of playing time by saying Bailey is "green" or a "rookie", please explain Tavon then?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not a lot of receivers drafted in the 4th round or later in the past decade have done much.
(more than 50 catches and more than 500 yards)
But that doesn't take away from my desire to see Stedman get a little more PT.

EFPB1Vg.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
All of those people trying to explain Bailey's lack of playing time by saying Bailey is "green" or a "rookie", please explain Tavon then?

My take; natural freakish skill.

Bailey might be a talented WR, but he doesn't have Tavon like skill.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Did you see me say that? There are ways to play yourself into the starting lineup, and he has. Sparingly. All I said was, I'd like to see more of him.

What round was Zach Stacy drafted in? How many other players, drafted higher, are now playing Miss Daisy because of what he was able to do with his opportunity?

I don't disagree with Coach O often but I do here. X, the Z Stacy example is as good as any. In college, Stacy proved his ability to pass block and run between the tackles effectively. Somehow, his competitive fire translated ONCE given a real chance. Sted's hands are OBVIOUS to anyone who watched his college career. His ability to score exceeded all others in his class. Mark my words, he's not a Pettis practice warrior. Turn the lights on, throw the ball his direction, and you'll see that Ike Bruce/Steve Smith kind of fire. We already see it on ST.