Where for art thou Rodger?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
Ram Quixote said:
*sigh* Are we speculating that Saffold is sulking/angry/disrespected? Merely because Fisher hasn't spoken with him? This is how a player gets a bad rep on message boards.

Until April 15th arrives, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Good point.

I think his agent worked a lot of us up. We really have no idea what Rodger is thinking.

Then again; he could pick up the phone and say "coach, I'll do whatever you need me to do" after the Long signing.

He could at least pick up the phone when his coach calls. Or have the common courtesy to call him back.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think there is a slight overreaction by some. I DO think Saffold is pissed/hurt/sulking whatever. I also think that by the time training camp comes around he and Fisher will have made their piece. In a lot of ways Saffold controls his own future. If he plays a good ROT and stays healthy he knows he will get his pay day from another team looking for a young/good LOT. If he gets hurt or sucks the Rams feel justified in putting someone who they feel can play the position at a top level. IF Long gets hurt and Saffold slides back over to LOT and does well then it still helps the Rams for the 2013 season but Saffold is likely gone because the Rams are still on the hook for major 2-year money for Long.

Lots of variables and now I have a headache. The bottom line is that it gets patched up going into the season and barring a Long injury or pure Suckdom it is goodbye Saffold next year.

BTW, I frankly would be a little disappointed if Saffold "embraced" the move. The man has pride and that is not a bad thing.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
CGI_Ram said:
Ram Quixote said:
*sigh* Are we speculating that Saffold is sulking/angry/disrespected? Merely because Fisher hasn't spoken with him? This is how a player gets a bad rep on message boards.

Until April 15th arrives, I'm not gonna worry about it.

Good point.

I think his agent worked a lot of us up. We really have no idea what Rodger is thinking.

Then again; he could pick up the phone and say "coach, I'll do whatever you need me to do" after the Long signing.

+1

IMO, Rodger will do what is in the best interest of the TEAM! Also, because this is a year he needs to prove his "Value" going forward, I think he will move to RT and have a great year.

Option 1 - Make the move and have a pro-bowl type year, and sign a multi-million dollar contract going forward.

Option 2 - Only look out for himself, and either sit the bench as a back-up or get traded.

Looks to me like Option 1 would be in "his" and the "team's" best interest.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
F. Mulder said:
I think there is a slight overreaction by some.

BTW, I frankly would be a little disappointed if Saffold "embraced" the move. The man has pride and that is not a bad thing.

BTW - I totally agree with the bolded statement. Took the words right out of my finger tips.

I'm sure Rodger IS pissed right now. But I also believe he understands the nature of the business. He's been around the NFL his whole life IIRR. He will report in. He will come to camp ready to kick some ass and earn his next contract.

I also am not ready to jump ugly on a guy I have never heard personally say anything that would lead me to believe he's not a team guy.

Let him absorb the info. He'll get back to Fish and we will move on with a much better line than last year.

I also don't want to see the torches and pitch forks out among the fans because of a frickin' tweet from a reporter - even if it is JT.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
RamFan503 said:
I also don't want to see the torches and pitch forks out among the fans because of a frickin' tweet from a reporter - even if it is JT.

It is funny how that tweet has the ability to make our thoughts go to bad places!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
RamFan503 said:
F. Mulder said:

BTW - I totally agree with the bolded statement. Took the words right out of my finger tips.

I'm sure Rodger IS pissed right now. But I also believe he understands the nature of the business. He's been around the NFL his whole life IIRR. He will report in. He will come to camp ready to kick some ass and earn his next contract.

I also am not ready to jump ugly on a guy I have never heard personally say anything that would lead me to believe he's not a team guy.

Let him absorb the info. He'll get back to Fish and we will move on with a much better line than last year.

Agree with all that.

Saffold doesn't want to play second fiddle, I'm sure. And if he's not returning calls, then there could be a bunch of reasons for that. But if he accepts this, is fine with it, and puts forth 100% effort, then he'll STILL be anchoring a really good line - just on the other side. And since when are RT's not pretty freaking important? Ask any head coach that has to game plan for Chris Long if they can "just get anyone" to keep him out of the backfield. Plus, most of the runs go in that direction.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Dude said:
RamFan503 said:
F. Mulder said:

Agree with all that.

Saffold doesn't want to play second fiddle, I'm sure. And if he's not returning calls, then there could be a bunch of reasons for that. But if he accepts this, is fine with it, and puts forth 100% effort, then he'll STILL be anchoring a really good line - just on the other side. And since when are RT's not pretty freaking important? Ask any head coach that has to game plan for Chris Long if they can "just get anyone" to keep him out of the backfield. Plus, most of the runs go in that direction.

Y'know, the talking heads on ESPN were just going on about how the linemen wages are equalizing. Yeah, the top LTs might always make more but look at what a couple top guards are making now - guards? I just don't see Rodger putting his career at stake for one season of playing RT. If he kicks ass, he will get paid well as either a RT OR a LT.