Where for art thou Rodger?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]317365445588054016[/tweet]
[tweet]317365548843421696[/tweet]

bluecoconuts

Legend
If he can't handle it good riddance. Package him in a trade to move up and get Lane Johnson and carry on. I like the guy, but this is a business, and it's a team game. If you can't accept your role to help improve the team, then that's your problem. I don't feel bad for people who want to cry about talent being brought into their team.

I'm hoping that he's not out of touch because he's pouting, but if so...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
bluecoconuts said:
If he can't handle it good riddance. Package him in a trade to move up and get Lane Johnson and carry on. I like the guy, but this is a business, and it's a team game. If you can't accept your role to help improve the team, then that's your problem. I don't feel bad for people who want to cry about talent being brought into their team.

Co-sign.

I hope it's not a pouting thing.

And... for Saffold to feel like he's locked down our LT spot with the last 2 injury filled seasons he'd be nuts.

nittany ram

Rookie
CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

Co-sign.

And... for Saffold to feel like he's locked down our LT spot with the last 2 injury filled seasons he'd be nuts.

But he's being replaced by a guy whose last two seasons were injury filled. Also, last season Saffold outplayed Jake Long by every important metric used to gauge tackle play.

I understand why the Rams want Jake Long and I'm glad to have him. But at the same time I can understand why Saffold is pissed off.

My bet is Saffold eventually makes contact with Fisher and falls back into line like a good soldier and says and does all the right things. Unlikely that he stays beyond this season though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
nittany ram said:
CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

Co-sign.

But he's being replaced by a guy whose last two seasons were injury filled. Also, last season Saffold outplayed Jake Long by every important metric used to gauge tackle play.

I understand why the Rams want Jake Long and I'm glad to have him. But at the same time I can understand why Saffold is pissed off.

My bet is Saffold eventually makes contact with Fisher and falls back into line like a good soldier and says and does all the right things. Unlikely that he stays beyond this season though.

I don't disagree with what you say; but Long is a pro bowl player.

Big difference.

Playmaker

CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

Co-sign.

Co-sign on everything but packaging for Lane Johnson. Johnson has that Jason Smith vibe to me. Plus he's a left tackle, not a right.

duckhunter

Starter
Doesn't sound good.

Snead mentioned Chris Williams as someone to possibly resign today. Although JT says that the Rams like Barksdale that don't mean shyte; he says that about every player.

Where's there's smoke there's fire. After all the back and forth stuff with Saffold's agent, beginning to look like some team might get a good LT cheap.

I'm not a big fan of drafting kids who are decent LT prospects early and pushing them to RT. We don't have a good track record there. Not a fan of Fluker in the first. Roll of the dice with the RT class this year. Emmitt Cleary or Ricky Wagner are late round guys that have as much chance as any of the other guys in this class.

Hey, anybody got Richardson's number? Dahl's an option.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Saffold might not like it but he has no choice but to take it.
He holds out or threatens not to play it will go against him when he looks for a new contract.

Missing camp..... the fines would be most of his salary.
He holds out in the reg. season he's screwed. He will play for free after missing game checks.
He can't hold out all season because if he does he won't get a accrued season and guess what? He's still Ram property next year. Like the Vjax situation a couple years ago.
Rams aren't going to trade him for less than a 2nd, that won't happen.

What will happen is Saffold will come in ready to play. He will be a asset to the team. He will have his best season yet so he can now be considered a very good LT & RT and get 25+ mil. contract over 5 years from someone.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Playmaker said:
CGI_Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

Co-sign.

Co-sign on everything but packaging for Lane Johnson. Johnson has that Jason Smith vibe to me. Plus he's a left tackle, not a right.
Can and has played the left and the right. Not close to Jason Smith, not comparable at all.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
*sigh* Are we speculating that Saffold is sulking/angry/disrespected? Merely because Fisher hasn't spoken with him? This is how a player gets a bad rep on message boards.

Until April 15th arrives, I'm not gonna worry about it.

fearsomefour

Legend
"Until April 15th arrives, I'm not gonna worry about it."

Agreed. Who cares if Roger isent answering the phone? Is he better than Richardson at RT, he should be, yes. Has he proven himself an elite, consistant T that is in line for some rearend kissing? No. If the Rams were able to trade him to some place that is in desperate need of a T how would this benefit him? No matter where he plays, what team and which T spot, he will need to perform and stay healthy next year to reap a big contract. Unless he had a dominant season he would be a guy who could have the "malcontent" tag put on him heading into FA. I think his agent and himself will come to their senses pretty quickly and realize the best way for him to get paid is to go into next year healthy and kick butt. Then there will be plenty of suitors. At his current skill vs. salary cap figure it makes sense for the Rams to deal with some pouting and get him on the field and let the chips fall where they may next year. I really like Saffold and think he could be a really good T if he can stay healthy....I hope he has at least 5 more dominant, healthy seasons with the Rams....at RT.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Saffold has been very fragile in terms of durability...but has played at a high level when healthy. Sounds like the Rams upgraded with Long and created some competition. I'd like to see Rodger keep his mouth shut until training camp and then play his ass off into either LT/RT or a trade.

Hopefully his agent doesn't agitate this thing further...things usually work out for the better of both parties.
Long signing was the shot in the arm that this OLine needed. I still have my concerns with J.Long....but the OLine had to be addressed. Hopefully this will allow our draft to be more focused upon the skill positions.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It sounds kind of soap-operaish. I realize that Saffold might be a bit upset, but I wonder if we're reading into this too much. Before the Rams signed Long, Fisher said he spoke with Saffold and he was OK with it. It might be that Rodger is on vacation and is difficult to get a hold of right now. Or he could be upset, or it might be something completely different (death in the family or something). In any case let's not jump to conclusions.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Ram Quixote said:
*sigh* Are we speculating that Saffold is sulking/angry/disrespected? Merely because Fisher hasn't spoken with him? This is how a player gets a bad rep on message boards.

It's not only that, but all the threats coming from his agent during the negotiating period with Long. These actions appear to be the start of a trend. I hope it's not, but you cant dismiss these actions.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ram Quixote said:

Yeah that's my first impression, but I do think we might could get a better prospect at RT with a draft choice acquired if we traded him and at a price more cap friendly than say what Roger asks next year.
Clearly he isn't a long term fixture here, he'll want LT money no matter where we play him ,so if we can get a young healthy guy in the draft clear cap by trading him , what's not to like about that?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
libertadrocks said:
Ram Quixote said:

It's not only that, but all the threats coming from his agent during the negotiating period with Long. These actions appear to be the start of a trend. I hope it's not, but you cant dismiss these actions.
I can. All we've heard to this point is agent-speak; Saffold hasn't been quoted one way or another. And, more to the point, what are we going to do besides grumble about a what if? That just brings down the offseason when we should be happy with Long added.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ol' Rodger has always impressed me as a "team first" type of guy. Not ONE thing, in ANY interview I have seen, would lead me to believe that he is off pouting somewhere. If indeed he is, then we stand to benefit from a highly motivated RT this season, and hopefully we get a nice return on him...cuz if he IS pouting, we want him gone. I still have my doubts that he is even upset though...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ram Quixote said:

Good point.

I think his agent worked a lot of us up. We really have no idea what Rodger is thinking.

Then again; he could pick up the phone and say "coach, I'll do whatever you need me to do" after the Long signing.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
CGI_Ram said:
Ram Quixote said:

Good point.

I think his agent worked a lot of us up. We really have no idea what Rodger is thinking.

Then again; he could pick up the phone and say "coach, I'll do whatever you need me to do" after the Long signing.

Yep. Hakuna matata.