Where Do We Go From Here?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhxRam

The Rams obviously have no real leverage at number 2 now with teams knowing they NEED OL.

What do you think happens? Rams potentially find a suitor to drop down a few spots and hope Matthews or Robinson falls, or do you pick at number two the guy you are guarenteed to get?

jjab360

Legend
The Rams don't have to go OL at 2 with two first round picks and I'm pretty sure teams know that. I read somewhere that Snead already had a deal in place with Atlanta contingent on Clowney being available, I don't see how Saffold coming back or not changes anything.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I honestly don't think saffold leaving takes any leverage away from us. Since we have 2 first round picks we could just as easily go o-line 13th overall and other teams know that as well. Also, it may not be about what teams anticipate US doing with the 2nd overall, rather jumping another team to get their guy before he's gone.

To me we have to stay the course, strongly consider Clowney and Watkins. If our FO determines either of those guys to be impact players, we take them without hesitation. If we get a really strong trade offer, by all means we should take it

Alan

Legend
I don't think that will make much difference. The leverage we had, and still do, is pitting the teams who have a desperate need for a QB against each other.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
What the Rams do or don't need doesn't really change any leverage they had.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I dont know Phx...do you really think our leverage has slipped? IMO teams knew we'd be targeting Robinson/Matthews regardless of the Saffold outcome.
The leverage lies in our draft position and the player the teams below us might covet and be forced to move up for.
Maybe i'm not seeing the bigger picture?

PhxRam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I honestly don't think saffold leaving takes any leverage away from us. Since we have 2 first round picks we could just as easily go o-line 13th overall and other teams know that as well. Also, it may not be about what teams anticipate US doing with the 2nd overall, rather jumping another team to get their guy before he's gone.

To me we have to stay the course, strongly consider Clowney and Watkins. If our FO determines either of those guys to be impact players, we take them without hesitation. If we get a really strong trade offer, by all means we should take it

Snead has to at least make teams believe he is willing to pick at number 2, I am not so sure he has done that.

A55VA6

Legend
I say look at a guard in free agency.. there's a few pretty nice ones out there. I particularly like Asamoah, perhaps we could go cheaper though. If all else fails, I say draft Robinson to be a future tackle, but start him at guard. He has the size and terrific run blocking.

lockdnram21

Legend
My Thoughts are They sign a guard like G Schwartz and draft Robinson/Matthews with a trade down. i think we were drafting Matthews/Robinson no matterif we resigned Saffold

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Snead has to at least make teams believe he is willing to pick at number 2, I am not so sure he has done that.
2 things...this contradicts your OP...and I still disagree. These other GMs aren't stupid. All another team has to believe is that there best chance to get the player they want is to make sure that no one can trade in front of them to get that player.

The exact same situation that happened with the RG3 trade.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree 100% with this, if teams know we are not even considering keeping the pick that lowers our leverage significantly. How would you go about convincing teams we are willing to stay though?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The Rams obviously have no real leverage at number 2 now with teams knowing they NEED OL.

What do you think happens? Rams potentially find a suitor to drop down a few spots and hope Matthews or Robinson falls, or do you pick at number two the guy you are guarenteed to get?
It's not so much what the Rams need, but what potential trade partners want. A team wants Clowney or a QB, the trade scenarios still work. Just depends on how desperate the trade partner is to move up.

A55VA6

Legend
Don't forget Saffold was a 2nd rounder. The talent can be found other than a high 1st round pick. While I do really like Robinson, You MUST draft smart. If there's a lot of OL the Rams like, but not a lot they like at other positions, I would rather them go with the other positions early to get the better talent.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
It's not a sure thing we go OL with our first pick. We could go Clowney #2. We could go Watkins. We could trade down to Atlanta, and then trade the pick down again. GM's think years ahead.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I agree 100% with this, if teams know we are not even considering keeping the pick that lowers our leverage significantly. How would you go about convincing teams we are willing to stay though?
If Clowney is available, teams know how much Fisher loves pass rushers.