Whats your biggest surprise and biggest disappointment so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
I've been offline since the start of the season due to financial issues. So I've missed all of the good Rams discussions. Wanted to know you guys impressions of the season so far.

Surprises:
My biggest surprise of the season is Shotty. Ive been critical of his play calling in the past but this year I think he has called great games. Only complaint is that we don't run out of passing formations.

Austin Davis, always liked him but didn't expect him to play this well. Like Marshall said he has

Disappointments;

Biggest has to be Greg Williams. He was our biggest acquisition in the off season and so far he hasn't brought anything new to this defense. Hopefully its just that the team is still learning all of his wrinkles.

Grob. why is he sitting on the bench? his strong suit is run blocking. Fisher proclaims us to be a power run team. Yet he continues to sit on the bench for Davon Joseph who is playing very very subpar at the moment. Put the kid in and let him learn. I'd rather watch the kid make mistakes then watch Joseph looking for someone to block and whiffin

Rodney Mccloud never been a big fan of his but I'm tired of him jumping routes before the ball is released. Every time there is broken coverage with a guy running wide open it's because Mccloud deciding to jump a route instead of staying deep. He did the same ish last year.

Defense as a whole. Defense was suppose to carry this team this year. It's a shame that the offense has provided us with plenty of points to win games and the defense is stopping anybody. You name yourself Sack City and we gotten nothing for sacks.

Didn't list Quick in the surprises section because I've been saying he will prove the doubters wrong this season and He has. He will only get better Britt is showing him how to use that body and strength.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Pass O has surprised me, especially Quick and Davis.

Defense has disappointed me - gashed on the run, ineffective pass rush and penalties. I'm thinking that the bye week has been very beneficial for the D. Bring on Monday night!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
My answers are besides the obvious ones like Quick, Davis, GRob, Gregg Williams. Most of us are surprised or disappointed in them.

I think the biggest surprise to me is Joe Barksdale's play. We knew he was good, but he's been ON FIRE. Probably the best RT in the game. Everytime I look at him during a play, he's stonewalling guys or blowing them off the line of scrimmage. We need to sign this guy immediately, he's a baller and a great guy in the locker room too. What a steal we got.

Biggest disappointment is probably Chris Givens. I was hoping he would go back to his rookie year form after he said he was working through some issues of his in 2013. I thought there was no way he just lost that speed and playmaking ability, and I got hyped up thinking that now he's the 3rd/4th option, that will open him up for some big plays against the lesser corners. I was wrong, and he's regressed even further this season. Don't know what his deal is, but I'm disappointed. Our other receivers have more than made up for it, but I liked Givens.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Pass O has surprised me, especially Quick and Davis.

Defense has disappointed me - gashed on the run, ineffective pass rush and penalties. I'm thinking that the bye week has been very beneficial for the D. Bring on Monday night!

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Ok here we go

- No sacks
- 3rd and Long (Defence)
- Ruby formation
- Davin Joseph
- Greg Robinson
- Maurice Alexander
- Tre Mason (are we even sure he exists)
- Penalties
- The Clutch drops
- Run defence
- Special Teams
- Line Backers
- The constant Heartbreak

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Ok here we go

- No sacks
- 3rd and Long (Defence)
- Ruby formation
- Davin Joseph
- Greg Robinson
- Maurice Alexander
- Tre Mason (are we even sure he exists)
- Penalties
- The Clutch drops
- Run defence
- Special Teams
- Line Backers
- The constant Heartbreak

You pretty much nailed it as my biggest surprise was GW's detrimental affect on the defense My biggest disappointments are how badly the Oline is playing and how badly coached the team looks.
Those trump the positive surprises.

Penguin.

Rookie
Surprises? The corners. They are playing very well.

Biggest disappointment? All defensive tackles not named Aaron Donald.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Surprise: Bradford getting hurt in the preseason, and the play of Davis so far.

Disappointment: Bradford getting hurt in the preseason, starting 1-3, and having 1 fucking sack.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
The slide of the D.
For both.
Expected a slide, but not as much as it has.

Ramathon

I've been offline since the start of the season due to financial issues. So I've missed all of the good Rams discussions. Wanted to know you guys impressions of the season so far.

..... Fisher proclaims us to be a power run team.......

Has Fisher ever actually said that? I'm not saying he hasn't. I don't know, but don't recall him saying that.

It seems like that's something the fan base cooked up last year when the Rams changed up their O significantly after the 4th (5th?) game. I do believe Fisher indicated they would be running much more than they had to that point, but don't recall him specifically stating they wanted to be a 'power run' team. I think that's how the fan base interpreted things. I think Fisher's plan all along has been to be more 'balanced' than anything. And from what I've seen thus far, they still don't seem all that committed to the run.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Surprise: Britt's effect on the team.

Disappointment: The win in Dallas the Refs stole.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Surprise: Davis as Starting QB!!

Disappointment: The lack of Sacks!!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Welcome back big daddy.
Surprise=Davis
Disappointment= our run d.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Pretty much the same as everyone else on here, so I'll try to put a different spin on it ...
Surprise: Passing Offense, ranked 7th in the league.
Disappointment: I expected our defense to have a rough start, but hoo boy they've found ways to lose ugly.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Has Fisher ever actually said that? I'm not saying he hasn't. I don't know, but don't recall him saying that.

It seems like that's something the fan base cooked up last year when the Rams changed up their O significantly after the 4th (5th?) game. I do believe Fisher indicated they would be running much more than they had to that point, but don't recall him specifically stating they wanted to be a 'power run' team. I think that's how the fan base interpreted things. I think Fisher's plan all along has been to be more 'balanced' than anything. And from what I've seen thus far, they still don't seem all that committed to the run.

Well Fisher never proclaimed that we will be a Power Run team. But he is asked about the offense and his first response is almost always "We run the football" the majority of the time when they run It's from Jumbo formations so that's were I derived the Power Run from

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Well Fisher never proclaimed that we will be a Power Run team. But he is asked about the offense and his first response is almost always "We run the football" the majority of the time when they run It's from Jumbo formations so that's were I derived the Power Run from
Good to see you back @BD-TomCat .

NoCoNite

ILoveGoffBalls
Name
ILoveGoffBalls
Pros- TJ McDonald is shining.
Aaron Donald is a beast.
We finally taught Brian quick to read.
Austin Davis looks like Brett farve
EJ Gaines looks like a steal.
Secondary seems brighter.

Cons- there's an invisible force field around quarterbacks that we can't seem to break through.
An offensive line full of pro bowlers, and high draft picks is playing dog ish.
I was happy we drafted Isaiah Pead again, oops I mean tre mason.
Jared Cook acts like an NBA diva.
Ray Ray Armstrong couldn't understand rules.
Greg Williams can't seem to get the guys to play without forking over 500 a tackle. Got the best front 4 in the league and this likes 3 man fronts for some reason.

MDRams55

UDFA
Name
Josh
Biggest surprise has to be Brian Quick he's on pace for a 0000 yard season which we haven't had since the late great Torry Holt

Biggest disappointment has to be the pass rush, I don't think it's as bad as people portray but having 1 sack after leading or being in the top 5 in sacks the last 2 years its unacceptable and besides chris long being out its the same line with Aaron Donald so it boggles my mind. And secondly the offensive line is killing us

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Positive surprises are the play of Davis and the play of our WR's. Davis is actually giving us some reason to hope at the position, and his play is much better than any of us (ok, Stranger, except you!) could have predicted. As far as our WR's go, they are much better than I anticipated them to be. They are good enough that we don't necessarily have to be a run heavy offense (and really haven't been so far). It's hard not to smile when you look at the development of Brian Quick. Britt has rubbed off on Quick, and he himself is playing more like he did when he was considered an up and comer. And we've got Bailey too. I think it's only a matter of time before Tavon has one of his explosive games as well.

I'm also happy with the CB play, Jenkins has really stepped up, and Gaines is much better than we could have reasonably hoped he would be at this point.

Disappointment is Gregg Williams D and the front seven (minus Donald). Some of the reduced number of sacks is understandable due to the way teams are playing us, but just one so far?? Furthermore, with teams shortening the field on the passing game, I would think we'd have more chances for batted balls, but that doesn't seem to be happening either. And in the run game, we are not consistent enough - good enough to get a bunch of stops, losses, and short gainers, but there have been too many big runs against us that negate the positive plays made. On 44 yard jaunt by DeMarco Murray was the difference between a day of outstanding run D and one that was rather pedestrian. We've got to figure out how to stop those plays. I'm not sure what the problem is, and I'm not blind to the dearth of offensive holding calls when our D is on the field, but still, Williams and the D have got to get better.