What's the first major news story you remember?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
For me it's Watergate and Gerald Ford taking his oath.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
BUT...this other world event memory is very strong. My parents sent me to visit my grandparents in Memphis TN in the summer of 1977 for a couple weeks. I had just turned 8 yrs old. I was at ground zero when Elvis died and i still remember the stillness in the air wherever we went around town. I was too young to understand just how big Elvis was, so i remember being confused by it. I remember asking my grandfather if he was the President of something.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I honestly can't remember a single news story of note prior to being 13 years old. Mostly because we didn't have a TV until I was like 11, but even then, I never really watched much TV. Unless it was to try and get a peek at that scrambled channel with the boobs on it. And Benny Hill, of course.

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
source.gif
Ah History repeats itself again and again me thinks.

Then again never claimed to be the brightest lightbulb.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Apollo 11 when I was five, the actual walk on the moon. I was ossified in front of the TV as it was happening, and it turned me into a space geek for life.

I have vague memories of stories about Vietnam on the nightly news that my dad always watched before that, but can't remember any specific events from that, just the name 'Vietnam'. My dad's habit of watching the nightly news became my habit pretty quickly and was fully ingrained by the time I was 10 years old. I very distinctly remember watching the news the day Saigon fell, including seeing on a broadcast the iconic photo of the helicopter on the roof of the US embassy with the long line of people waiting to get on. That one really affected me (the whole story, not just the photo), seeing a country fall to communism like that since my mother and her family defected from East Germany when she was a kid. I knew what the losers were in for.

Vapor

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Vapor
moon landing...
My dad did not let us watch TV. He was cheap and said the TV burned up too much electricity.