What's the deal with Givens?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Graphicker

Starter
They're not using him right now. It's obvious that this is a ploy to sign him dirt cheap, I'm talking a 6 year deal worth 6 million.
After that he'll break lose and be a 1,600 yard receiver with 18 tds per season. Les told me last night.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
iced said:
JIMERAMS said:
If anyone watched the Dallas game yesterday this same exact play happened. Romo seen his receiver late and under threw him but his receiver adjusted and blocked the defender out for a catch and td. I love givens but I'm getting tired of our receivers not fighting for balls they just think its supposed to be a perfect throw every time. This could be from 7 on 7 drills in practice where Sam has time to put passes on the money all the time.

It just doesn't happen in game time speed. And to the poster who said quick and pettis made Sam look good yesterday? How is that? He threw a perfect back shoulder pass to quick and pettis pass was on the money.

k it's not really fair to compare Dez Bryant to Givens..

Bryant is in a different class of receiver and has been in the league longer with the same qb and the same system...Givens is not nearly as physical or as long as him.

Givens is entering his 2nd, Bryant his 4th.

Unsurprisingly, Bryant's light didn't come on til his 3rd season.

2010 12 games, 45 catches, 561 yards, 6 td
2011 15 games, 63 catches, 928 yards, 9 td
2012 16 games, 92 catches, 1382 yards, 12 td
2013 5 games, 29 catches, 423 yards, 6 td

Oh I understand that. But you have to fight for the ball sometimes. It happens in every game our receivers don't fight for the ball much. Quick is the only one who seems to be getting it. He has made some great catches lately.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Sam doesn't throw many balls that a wr has to fight for. If the guy isn't considerably open he won't put the ball there most of the time. They probably don't practice that becuase Sam almost never tries to throw a reciever open. I figure if he doesn't do it in games so he probably doesn't do it in practice.

And our recievers don't get time to get open becuase the ball comes out too quick. I was at the 49ers game Thursday and I seen recievers open in the second level but Sam never looked and opted for the short 5yd passes. It's not all givens fault, Sam plays a big role in his development.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While I'm sure he feels bad for disappointing, some of what's going on is out of his control.
The opponents safeties are keying off what he does to make sure the CB has deep help against him. Any sign of him going deep they cap his route. He's a 2nd year guy, maybe thrown in the fire before he was ready last year. As his routes improve so will the results.

Yeah they need to scheme better to get him free and use him more as a decoy. The next best thing to a 50 yard bomb is a 50 yard bomb that was close to being caught.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think this year Sam has more options than last year also. But they could of connected for about a 70 yarder yesterday if Sam doesn't underthrow him by 5 yards and let the DB catch up. I think Sam, at times, tends to do what Richardson does. Meaning he goes with the intial play call regardless if someone else is open.Sometimes the person that is open is Givens. (just like Austin or Cook at other times). It happens.
I think we'll see more from Givens as the season goes on.

Remember- A lot of "experts" said they didn't think this offense would gel until about mid season as there are a lot of new pieces in play.

jap

Legend
bwdenverram said:
Remember- A lot of "experts" said they didn't think this offense would gel until about mid season as there are a lot of new pieces in play.

That is to be expected whenever you have a lot of rookies and young players in key positions. They are still learning to play at the highest level.

This off-season when posters were giving their projections for the season, the sheer youth of this team is the primary reason I said I didn't have a feel for this team as yet. They are still learning to play with each other, and things that are virtually automatic with veteran teams are simply not there yet.

For instance, if you have a guy like Tavon who is capable of taking it to the house on every punt, catch, or run, how the hell is anybody gonna hold or do something stupid to nullify any return, especially the great ones? Guys doing that nonsense should be shot at dawn.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
fastcat said:
Sam doesn't throw many balls that a wr has to fight for. If the guy isn't considerably open he won't put the ball there most of the time. They probably don't practice that becuase Sam almost never tries to throw a reciever open. I figure if he doesn't do it in games so he probably doesn't do it in practice.

And our recievers don't get time to get open becuase the ball comes out too quick. I was at the 49ers game Thursday and I seen recievers open in the second level but Sam never looked and opted for the short 5yd passes. It's not all givens fault, Sam plays a big role in his development.

It's a two way street. You tend to stop making those throws when the guys aren't adjusting and winning.

He had no issues throwing it up to Lloyd and throwing back-shoulder throws to him. Because Lloyd proved he would make the play. Same was true of Mark Clayton. Quick and Givens haven't.

Pettis is probably our most proven WR in that regard.

It's all linked to trust.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
jrry32 said:
fastcat said:

It's a two way street. You tend to stop making those throws when the guys aren't adjusting and winning.

He had no issues throwing it up to Lloyd and throwing back-shoulder throws to him. Because Lloyd proved he would make the play. Same was true of Mark Clayton. Quick and Givens haven't.

Though on a good note Quick has been starting to prove that more and more lately. I expect soon Bradford will be looking for him more and more.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HometownBoy said:
jrry32 said:
fastcat said:

Though on a good note Quick has been starting to prove that more and more lately. I expect soon Bradford will be looking for him more and more.
He is getting more involved now. Can't believe it takes this long to get fully acclimated with an NFL offense, but it is what it is (yeah I said it). Sometimes I wonder if this isn't a perfect storm waiting to happen. Like everyone gels at exactly the same time and realizes their full potential, together, all at once. Could be later this year, could be next year. But I just get that feeling.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
HometownBoy said:
jrry32 said:
fastcat said:

Ehhh I don't know about that. Him misplaying that jump ball against SF led to Bradford's INT. But I do hope that light is coming on.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone notice Givens seems to be limping a little bit this year?

I've noticed it since week one he's hobbling off the field almost every game after a hit or tackle.

I wonder if he's battling an ailment?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
jrry32 said:
HometownBoy said:
jrry32 said:
fastcat said:

Ehhh I don't know about that. Him misplaying that jump ball against SF led to Bradford's INT. But I do hope that light is coming on.
While I agree he could have jumped later, it was a severely underthrown ball as well as the announcer pointed out. So it wasn't all on him, it was the perfect storm of bad to make a bad result.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Yeah it's all Bradford... like... all of it and stuff *blank stare*

TexasRam

Legend
Givens is a pure speed guy at this point and that is it. It's unfortunate, but he is far from a number 1.

What Givens Lacks is route running. He can't get open unless its straight down the field with his speed. Or on a crossing route, which he is rarely used on. When I went to the Cowboys game this really stood out. Route running and getting open is not about speed. Witten got WIDE OPEN constantly by quick cuts and excellent jukes before his break. Givens is the Antithesis of Witten. All speed no route running ability jukability to get open.

We need a bread and butter number 1 guy right now. Or a Coordinator that can use Givens skill set.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
nighttrain said:
max said:
I expected him to take a step up this year. Hasn't happened.

Disappointingly, he is looking like a one trick pony who defenses have figured out how to shut down. Cosell called Givens a burner, maybe that's pretty much all Givens is. It appears that he is only good with uncontested balls that require little adjustment to catch. Not exactly the WR1 we were all hoping for.

I'm getting the impression that Sam doesn't trust him to be in the right place. That's a problem.

the problem as i see it, Givens is in his second year and fans are thinking he should be like Bruce and Holt. It took 4 seasons for Bruce to become the Reverend Ike, Holt came to a team where he was definitely #2, and that had also acquired Faulk, best all around back ever.

Last season got our hopes unreasonably high, due to our division record, it's back to earth time, This is a very young team. Gonna take another season or so
train

Bruce had 1700 yards and 13 tds in his second year.

Holt had 1600 yards and 6 tds in his second year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TexasRam said:
Givens is a pure speed guy at this point and that is it. It's unfortunate, but he is far from a number 1.

What Givens Lacks is route running. He can't get open unless its straight down the field with his speed. Or on a crossing route, which he is rarely used on. When I went to the Cowboys game this really stood out. Route running and getting open is not about speed. Witten got WIDE OPEN constantly by quick cuts and excellent jukes before his break. Givens is the Antithesis of Witten. All speed no route running ability jukability to get open.

We need a bread and butter number 1 guy right now. Or a Coordinator that can use Givens skill set.

Truth. This is where Pettis has taken major steps. He utilizes a lot of fakes and moves to separate. Givens could learn a thing or two from him. Givens is an one speed player right now and that needs to be fixed.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
All I know is that if Givens played for the Colts or the Chiefs he'd be putting up TY Hilton type numbers...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
OnceARam said:
All I know is that if Givens played for the Colts or the Chiefs he'd be putting up TY Hilton type numbers...
Shitttttttttttttttttttttttttttt. I wish we were as complete a team as the Colts or Chiefs, we'd look pretty damn good with their O-lines and run games, any team that could survive having a bland, boring GM like Smith at the helm is a pretty complete team.

But alas we don't have anything like that, we really need to establish the running game and after that we need somebody to differentiate himself as a number one. I like Givens, but he's a really strong number 2 if we're being honest, he's not going to beat double coverage most times.

We need a guy who differentiates himself as a weapon so much so that they stick to him like a lightning rod and open up opportunities for our other guys.