What's the deal with Givens?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I expected him to take a step up this year. Hasn't happened.

Disappointingly, he is looking like a one trick pony who defenses have figured out how to shut down. Cosell called Givens a burner, maybe that's pretty much all Givens is. It appears that he is only good with uncontested balls that require little adjustment to catch. Not exactly the WR1 we were all hoping for.

I'm getting the impression that Sam doesn't trust him to be in the right place. That's a problem.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My take is Givens problem is that Sam waits too long to decide he's open that long ball yesterday Givens Had 5 yards separation that the DB closed while the ball was in the air.

I think Sam still has some lag and expects college open , his anticipation and yes trust are not as much Givens inability as his

Pettis and Quick made Sam look good yesterday and if Sam had thrown that ball to Givens sooner the "when I'm even I'm leavin "factor would have worked

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I doubt it's Givens. The way we consistently check down, it seems like none of our receivers are open, ever. I highly doubt that's the case. Whether it be play design or bad decisions, we aren't able to get the ball to anyone it seems. If Bradford had a Cutler arm, that would have been a TD yesterday to Givens.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

yes. sam is too indecisive. that throw to givens should have been an easy td. I wish sam would just let it go and pull the trigger.

when I see all these wrs around the league catching long bombs wide open I always wonder why the rams can't do the same. that throw to givens was a perfect example. except he was wide open and if the ball got to him at the right time he would have caught it wide open for a td.

c'mon sam. you need a little gun slinger mentality. I wish the play it safe mentality wasn't drummed into him so incessantly since he was a rookie. it's frustrating.

i'm 100% certain if sam played looser givens would be putting up much better numbers.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thordaddy said:
My take is Givens problem is that Sam waits too long to decide he's open that long ball yesterday Givens Had 5 yards separation that the DB closed while the ball was in the air.

I think Sam still has some lag and expects college open , his anticipation and yes trust are not as much Givens inability as his

Pettis and Quick made Sam look good yesterday and if Sam had thrown that ball to Givens sooner the "when I'm even I'm leavin "factor would have worked

Did Sam expect "college open" on the long TD pass to Pettis? Nah.

I do wonder why Sam doesn't do more like that TD to Pettis. He looked off it to the left and then quickly looked right and made a decisive deep throw to Pettis. Maybe it has something to do with Sam trusting Pettis to be where he expects him to be.

Sam just expects guys to be where he thinks they should be and I've seen Givens mess up enough times to believe Sam isn't sure that Givens will be in the right place.

No doubt Sam messed up on that deep ball to Givens. That was an easy TD if Sam throws it on time. OTOH, Givens NEVER fights for a ball. I have never seen him come back and contest with a DB, Givens either gives up or gets overpowered.

The point being, Givens really isn't a WR1. Not yet at least.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
kurtfaulk said:

c'mon sam. you need a little gun slinger mentality. I wish the play it safe mentality wasn't drummed into him so incessantly since he was a rookie. it's frustrating.

Especially since he has an arm comparable to Cutler or any one else you care to name

Of SAMs problems arm strength is not only the least it just isnt............a problem.His arm is plenty strong if he doesn't" wait until the guy is 50 yards down field to launch hell if he'd underthrown that ball two. More yards we'd have gotten an I reference call

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I keep seeing people say he has a Cutler like arm...I don't know man, I can't see it. He isn't weak armed, but he isn't elite with he arm strength. And that is strictly from MY observations.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
max said:
Thordaddy said:

I do wonder why Sam doesn't do more like that TD to Pettis. He looked off it to the left and then quickly looked right and made a decisive deep throw to Pettis. Maybe it has something to do with Sam trusting Pettis to be where he expects him to be.

Sam just expects guys to be where he thinks they should be and I've seen Givens mess up enough times to believe Sam isn't sure that Givens will be in the right place.

No doubt Sam messed up on that deep ball to Givens. That was an easy TD if Sam throws it on time. OTOH, Givens NEVER fights for a ball. I have never seen him come back and contest with a DB, Givens either gives up or gets overpowered.

well max then why doesn't Fisher se what you do?
Givens runs slants he blocks better pound for pound than Cook.

If Givens has regressed it would be AS Possible he's lost confidence Sam will get him the ball, it's a two way street

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Thordaddy said:
max said:
Thordaddy said:

If Givens has regressed it would be AS Possible he's lost confidence Sam will get him the ball, it's a two way street
So Givens should be our te1 then?

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't think that's what he said, he said that he blocks better pound for pound. But we also didn't bring Cook in to block, we have Kendrick's and Harky for that.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Thordaddy said:
max said:
Thordaddy said:

I get it, you think Givens is just fine, but if he's not it's probably Sam's fault.

nighttrain

Legend
max said:

Disappointingly, he is looking like a one trick pony who defenses have figured out how to shut down. Cosell called Givens a burner, maybe that's pretty much all Givens is. It appears that he is only good with uncontested balls that require little adjustment to catch. Not exactly the WR1 we were all hoping for.

I'm getting the impression that Sam doesn't trust him to be in the right place. That's a problem.

the problem as i see it, Givens is in his second year and fans are thinking he should be like Bruce and Holt. It took 4 seasons for Bruce to become the Reverend Ike, Holt came to a team where he was definitely #2, and that had also acquired Faulk, best all around back ever.

Last season got our hopes unreasonably high, due to our division record, it's back to earth time, This is a very young team. Gonna take another season or so
train

nighttrain

Legend
max said:

the problem as i see it, Givens is in his second year and fans are thinking he should be like Bruce and Holt. It took 4 seasons for Bruce to become the Reverend Ike, Holt came to a team where he was definitely #2, and that had also acquired Faulk, best all around back ever.

Last season got our hopes unreasonably high, due to our division record, it's back to earth time, This is a very young team. Gonna take another season or so
train

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
max said:

Hasn't taken the steps forward. Route running is inconsistent. He also has a habit of not working back to the balls on throws down the field. Doesn't adjust that well to the ball in the air. Would help him and Sam a lot if they worked on that because Givens could be an excellent back-shoulder type guy.

Right now, he's limited in the routes he runs well. Basically, he's a guy who you mainly want to have run fades/gos, skinny posts, crossers, drags and comebacks with. Slants too although he can be somewhat inconsistent on those...especially getting off the LOS.

Just has a few more steps to take. But Austin Pettis's progression as a route runner really came during his 2nd year and this year. So Givens has time.

I really wish he'd be more aggressive though with the ball in the air.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
max said:
Thordaddy said:
max said:
Thordaddy said:

I get it, you think Givens is just fine, but if he's not it's probably Sam's fault.

First max lets drop the "you thinks" unproductive argumentation If you want clarification of what I think I'll be happy to do so.

In a nutshell you said Give s was a one trick pony, I'm sayin we need that trick and the guy who needs to call on him for that trick isn't inconsequential to his "trick" and that I sea him runnin g slants yesterday and as I recall be ran o e shortly before the late deep ball and on that slant he was mugged and denied the ball

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If I remember they are trying to make Chris Givens more than just a go-route guy. So he's still developing. I'm not worried about him or Sam.

iced

this has more to do with sam than it does with givens.

Sam doesn't appear to like to throw it down the field unless the guy is like wide open, and even then the ball has been late and underthrown (except for pettis, but that was designed presnap).

another issue is whoever goes deep usually gets doubled

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
jrry32 said:
max said:

Hasn't taken the steps forward. Route running is inconsistent. He also has a habit of not working back to the balls on throws down the field. Doesn't adjust that well to the ball in the air. Would help him and Sam a lot if they worked on that because Givens could be an excellent back-shoulder type guy.

Right now, he's limited in the routes he runs well. Basically, he's a guy who you mainly want to have run fades/gos, skinny posts, crossers, drags and comebacks with. Slants too although he can be somewhat inconsistent on those...especially getting off the LOS.

Just has a few more steps to take. But Austin Pettis's progression as a route runner really came during his 2nd year and this year. So Givens has time.

I really wish he'd be more aggressive though with the ball in the air.

Well said.

I feel the same way about Givens being more aggressive. I hope he can get there.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
If anyone watched the Dallas game yesterday this same exact play happened. Romo seen his receiver late and under threw him but his receiver adjusted and blocked the defender out for a catch and td. I love givens but I'm getting tired of our receivers not fighting for balls they just think its supposed to be a perfect throw every time. This could be from 7 on 7 drills in practice where Sam has time to put passes on the money all the time.

It just doesn't happen in game time speed. And to the poster who said quick and pettis made Sam look good yesterday? How is that? He threw a perfect back shoulder pass to quick and pettis pass was on the money.

iced

JIMERAMS said:
If anyone watched the Dallas game yesterday this same exact play happened. Romo seen his receiver late and under threw him but his receiver adjusted and blocked the defender out for a catch and td. I love givens but I'm getting tired of our receivers not fighting for balls they just think its supposed to be a perfect throw every time. This could be from 7 on 7 drills in practice where Sam has time to put passes on the money all the time.

It just doesn't happen in game time speed. And to the poster who said quick and pettis made Sam look good yesterday? How is that? He threw a perfect back shoulder pass to quick and pettis pass was on the money.

k it's not really fair to compare Dez Bryant to Givens..

Bryant is in a different class of receiver and has been in the league longer with the same qb and the same system...Givens is not nearly as physical or as long as him.

Givens is entering his 2nd, Bryant his 4th.

Unsurprisingly, Bryant's light didn't come on til his 3rd season.

2010 12 games, 45 catches, 561 yards, 6 td
2011 15 games, 63 catches, 928 yards, 9 td
2012 16 games, 92 catches, 1382 yards, 12 td
2013 5 games, 29 catches, 423 yards, 6 td