What's The Competition Look Like at Receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry, calling Tavon the weakest link is the "joke" to me. Has he lived up to expectations? No. Is he the best WR on the team? Prob not, that will probably go to Woods. Is he most likely the 3rd or maybe 4th best WR on the team. Yes. Does that a weakest link make? No.

Look, he's not a superstar but he has good qualities that can be used and until we draft WRs that have speed similar to his we can't be talking about him as the weakest link. For him to be the weakest link, we have to have better WR's than him across the board. Aside from Kupp and Woods, I'm not sure we have two or three more better than him until they prove it.

I may have gone too far with my "weakest link" comment, WestCoast.

Then again, I ask myself to rank the WR's that I think would be most effective on the field for me if I were the HC or the OC and here is what I get, based upon best available current info:

Woods
Kupp
Reynolds
Spruce
Thomas (assuming his hands are now okay)

Yeah, I place tremendous importance on route running, hands, quick separation, reading D, catch radius, fighting for the ball, getting that crucial 1st down, knowledge of playbook, etc.

Ummmmm...

I guess there are 5 WR's that I DO like better than Tavon. And that, by definition, WOULD make Tavon the weakest link on my imaginary hypothetical team.

I know that McVay is stuck with Tavon because of that damned contract and it's terms, but I will go out on a limb and repeat myself. Barring a miracle McVay engineered career resurrection for Tavon, I see Tavon being outplayed early on and riding the bench by midseason. Hope I'm wrong, but that's the way I see it.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Only Woods could possibly be considered ahead of TA at this time the rest is hopeful speculation. Yes it will be an exciting training camp and I am optimistic about our WR group.
But it is not like we are going into camp with the Packers, Patriots or Bucs receiving corps.
TA has a lot to prove but remember we are giving others a pass on their weaker performances due to our bad H.S offense so lets pump the breaks. Keep our fingers crossed and hope that at least 2 of these other than Wood and T.A emerge as consistent contributors.
Camp is around the corner lets get this thing started and righted

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Tavon is technically our best RB..... ya know, if we go by the most important Stat and stuff. Tavon should not be considered strictly a WR. He is far FAR more than that. He is literally the only player of his kind in the NFL. I will never understand how some people still don't get that.

WestCoastRam

Legend
@Rams43 Hope you're right about Reynolds and Thomas, if either hits then Tavon does become expendable. That being said, Reynolds is a rookie and rookie WR's never tend to make an impact unless they are transcendent talents. I had high hopes for Thomas after the mini-camp but a 4 game suspension for a WR who's yet to be proven is almost impossible to come back from during the season. The offense may very well move beyond him and have very few reps at all available to him.

Spruce has two things going for him, showing well last year in training camp and a quarter of pre-season play. He has everything else going against him. I'm not putting my money on that horse.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
http://m.therams.com/s/30854/409?itemUri=40892409/61323254702111271101011414

Check it out guys, my twitter handle is famous!

Ps. yes @Soul Surfer I know I misspelled know, in my tweet.

Ps.ps. It's actually a nice article too, on its own. Giver a gander.
I thought it was Kooper Cuppo_O

Seriously, it will be a make or break for Tavon, in my opinion. Finally an offense, and it will be nice to see him as more than a gimmick, if he's capable. A hell of a gimmick he is though, with other weapons, it can really make him more dangerous.

As far as Thomas goes, and everything we heard already, McVay said in his presser today, that the Rams will stand by him, and support him. Not sure what he got popped by, exactly, but from comments, it seems that it was unfortunate.

I think, based on our new offense, that Thomas is a very valuable piece that may be hard to replace at this juncture. And remember, he is a really good special teamer.

Last edited: