What's The Competition Look Like at Receiver

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Too bad about Thomas although he could still factor in as the Rams will get a roster exemption for four games if Thomas makes the club. Anxious to see who will be playing flanker and who can beat the coverage deep.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://m.therams.com/s/30854/409?itemUri=40892409/61323254702111271101011414

Check it out guys, my twitter handle is famous!

Ps. yes @Soul Surfer I know I misspelled know, in my tweet.

Ps.ps. It's actually a nice article too, on its own. Giver a gander.
Loved the FanFest video, it made me wish I had been their!! As to the way Simmons answered your great Question, I didn't like hearing My main man, Spruce mentioned so far down the pecking-order!
Congrats on getting your question selected!

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Loved the FanFest video, it made me wish I had been their!! As to the way Simmons answered your great Question, I didn't like hearing My main man, Spruce mentioned so far down the pecking-order!
Congrats on getting your question selected!

That popped out to me too. I figured he'd mention Spruce with guys like Pharoh Cooper, not the scrub guys.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think Thomas makes the team IF he has a strong camp, but he has zero room for error.

Can't see Marquez making this team, or McRoberts. My reasoning is this staff and what they're looking for aren't the strengths of those players. If one of them do crack the roster I think they're the cut when Thomas returns.

Spruce and Coop are where the action will be. Those two need to kill it in preseason and might end up dueling for a roster spot depending on how many this regime keeps around. I hope they both make it, personally, but it's gonna be tight.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think Thomas makes the team IF he has a strong camp, but he has zero room for error.

Can't see Marquez making this team, or McRoberts. My reasoning is this staff and what they're looking for aren't the strengths of those players. If one of them do crack the roster I think they're the cut when Thomas returns.

Spruce and Coop are where the action will be. Those two need to kill it in preseason and might end up dueling for a roster spot depending on how many this regime keeps around. I hope they both make it, personally, but it's gonna be tight.
This ^^ is the way I see it too! And I think "S-P-R-U-U-U-C-E " Wins the spot!(y);):yess:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If Spruce remains healthy, I don't see how McVay can cut him.

Then again, if Thomas has put his hands problem behind him, how does McVay cut HIM?

This is gonna be a pretty decent WR corps this year, fellas.

TBH, I see Tavon as our weakest link. Think about that for a minute.

That's some serious progress from last year, huh?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
If Spruce remains healthy, I don't see how McVay can cut him.

Then again, if Thomas has put his hands problem behind him, how does McVay cut HIM?

This is gonna be a pretty decent WR corps this year, fellas.

TBH, I see Tavon as our weakest link. Think about that for a minute.

That's some serious progress from last year, huh?

I just wonder how much TA will be babying that wrist? I know he isn't going to go balls out and try to re-injure from contact. He is the weakest link right now.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay has constantly stressed route running, understanding the playbook, knowing what everyone else is doing and catching the football. He also has said more than once that he wants guys who instill confidence in the QB.

Is Tavon Austin one of those guys? So far, I think not. But he could change that with a solid TC. All of those phases McVay mentions, TA needs to work on.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Yeah, the guy that can put up 10 touchdowns a year, is the weakest link. :rolleyes:

But hey, Spruce had a good couple minutes when he played, so he's a lock.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah, the guy that can put up 10 touchdowns a year, is the weakest link. :rolleyes:

But hey, Spruce had a good couple minutes when he played, so he's a lock.

Sarcasm duly noted, Jack.

Check out these career stats for your boy, Tavon.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tavonaustin/2539336/careerstats

Ummmmm...

Looks like 23 career (4 seasons) TD's.

And 8 of them were on gadget running plays.

Three more were on punt returns.

A whopping 12 in 4 years as a WR which is the topic of your own thread.

And he's only costing us $42 freaking million for 4 years. What a bargain! Little sarcasm of my own there, if you don't mind. Lol.

Two things:

Tavon is a league wide joke at this point.

And yeah, Tavon is our WR weakest link until or unless he proves otherwise based upon 4 full years of data.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm sorry, calling Tavon the weakest link is the "joke" to me. Has he lived up to expectations? No. Is he the best WR on the team? Prob not, that will probably go to Woods. Is he most likely the 3rd or maybe 4th best WR on the team. Yes. Does that a weakest link make? No.

Look, he's not a superstar but he has good qualities that can be used and until we draft WRs that have speed similar to his we can't be talking about him as the weakest link. For him to be the weakest link, we have to have better WR's than him across the board. Aside from Kupp and Woods, I'm not sure we have two or three more better than him until they prove it.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Sarcasm duly noted, Jack.

Check out these career stats for your boy, Tavon.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tavonaustin/2539336/careerstats

Ummmmm...

Looks like 23 career (4 seasons) TD's.

And 8 of them were on gadget running plays.

Three more were on punt returns.

A whopping 12 in 4 years as a WR which is the topic of your own thread.

And he's only costing us $42 freaking million for 4 years. What a bargain! Little sarcasm of my own there, if you don't mind. Lol.

Two things:

Tavon is a league wide joke at this point.

And yeah, Tavon is our WR weakest link until or unless he proves otherwise based upon 4 full years of data.

And how many TDs for all the other receivers combined? Yeah, our weakest link. I can care less about his cost. Take him out, and our offense has virtually no speed. Real scary offense that would be. A bunch of the exact same receiver in every spot.

Tavon has never been in an actual offense. Look at his college tape. When he's used in an offense not written in crayon, he's a monster. None of the other receivers can say that. Aside from maybe Cooper.

All the people that bag on him, but shout from the rooftops for Nelson Spruce, look quite pathetic honestly. He played great! In a quarter of preseason against free agents.

Tavon is electric with the ball in his hands. And he is not the weak link, which is why he's a starter, according to the guy running our offense.

Ps. No offence intended. Just passionate about defending a player being shit on by others for no reason. This game actually means something for Tavon.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Don't sleep on Cooper he can be very good if given the opportunity. The last set of offensive coaches could not find their own ass with both hands. I also look for our new coaches to make better use of Tavon.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And how many TDs for all the other receivers combined? Yeah, our weakest link. I can care less about his cost. Take him out, and our offense has virtually no speed. Real scary offense that would be. A bunch of the exact same receiver in every spot.

Tavon has never been in an actual offense. Look at his college tape. When he's used in an offense not written in crayon, he's a monster. None of the other receivers can say that. Aside from maybe Cooper.

All the people that bag on him, but shout from the rooftops for Nelson Spruce, look quite pathetic honestly. He played great! In a quarter of preseason against free agents.

Tavon is electric with the ball in his hands. And he is not the weak link, which is why he's a starter, according to the guy running our offense.

Ps. No offence intended. Just passionate about defending a player being crap on by others for no reason. This game actually means something for Tavon.

No offense taken, Jack.

We're just spitballin' here as we await those camp reports, anyway.

I've soured on Tavon. I'll admit it.

Hopefully, McVay can resurrect Tavon's career.