What was the most disastrous moment/event/decision in Rams history?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
That double OT loss to the Panthers in 2003. That team could have won the Super Bowl if they beat the Panthers, because it would have been a stepping stone to a showdown (rematch) against the Patriots, and there's no way they would have lost to them twice. No freaking way.
SEHORN!!! :palm::poop:

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
SEHORN!!! :palm::poop:
That was Craig Dahl bad.

Jeff Wilkens did his part, recovering his own onside kick.

Bulger struggled the last half of that year. It looked like they may turn back to Warner in that game.

FRO

Legend
I think running off Warner was very low too. Yeah he had a few rough years, but so did Favre and the Packers stuck with him. Bulger was solid, but he wasn't Warner. Not many teams run off a 2 time MVP and a super bowl MVP.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Maybe this has already been brought up, but the three decisions I really thought were awful were: Dickerson, Bettis and Fletcher being allowed to get away...Kevin Greene wasn't as good move either...Warner obviously, but his situation was a bit more clouded with the hand injury...Btw, forthe guys that think Martz could do no wrong, remember that he was the conductor of the Wartner train out of St. Louis...

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I gotta say. She had as little to do with putting this organization in position to win a Superbowl as she did in making successful marriages. She drained every dime she possibly could out of this organization and then, like every blind mouse, found some cheese. It is true she helped bring the Rams to St Louis and by default helped bring a Superbowl to St Louis. But she didn't do her best to help anyone but herself. You could say that Stan did every bit as much to bring a Superbowl to St Louis. No Stan = no move to the Lou my darlin'

ROD needs a "SUPERLIKE, MEGADITTOS, YES YES YES! (ala Meg Ryan) button.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm only going to comment on the last 10-15 years, as that's how long I've been a fan.

#1 The great fix of 36. Seriously, the NFL made sure we lost that game, by any means necessary. Other people call it the homeland security bowl.

The 2nd worst one in recent memory, firing Martz.

And #2 wouldn't have happened if the first one had never occurred.

And #3, the dirty hit on Bradford in Carolina that blew out his knee, and destroyed his career after he was finally starting to get it.

My thoughts exactly.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That double OT loss to the Panthers in 2003. That team could have won the Super Bowl if they beat the Panthers, because it would have been a stepping stone to a showdown (rematch) against the Patriots, and there's no way they would have lost to them twice. No freaking way.

That one feels like yesterday to me. Still hurts.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Letting London Fletcher go was the start of a series of bad personnel moves.

If Vermeil had stayed, maybe Zygmunt doesn't get power hungry and fuck everything up. But, he did.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
There is a lot to pick from with this franchise... What everyone else said, and this:

October 17, 2005.
Bulger went down in Indianapolis in a game the rams seemed to be winning... lost that game, lost Bulger, the season tanked, the rest is a sad history. To me that was a one of the defining moments, downward.

FRO

Legend
Letting London Fletcher go was the start of a series of bad personnel moves.

If Vermeil had stayed, maybe Zygmunt doesn't get power hungry and freak everything up. But, he did.
That was a point I was trying to make. Vermiel brought the talent in and developed it. He did the same thing in Kansas City, so it wasn't a fluke.

Moostache

Rookie
Enos Stanley Kroenke exercising the right of refusal and shutting out Shad Khan.
The Rams, with Khan at the helm, and Kroenke pining for Denver right now, would be readying for a new stadium opening with a much different front office and a much different prognosis for the foreseeable future (which in the NFL should be the rest of the current season and the upcoming season only!)...There is simply no way this franchise would be the toxic dumpster fire that it is if the current owner had just cashed out 4 years ago.

Fisher may have never happened.
The RG3 situation would have played out totally differently (a blind man throwing darts at a draft board could have done as well with those picks)...
An owner who poisons his fanbase, for ANY reason - desire to move, greed, gross incompetence, poor delegation of authority, general lack of concern with on-field results - is always a franchise's worst enemy and the worst thing to happen to it. Hell, look at complete boobs like little Danny Snyder in Washington and ask a 'Skins fan how well that works out!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I believe that is modern era as in since the merger and the Superbowl era - yes. Rosenbloom had the highest winning percentage in the modern era. I had heard that before and even if you include the Colts, he had a 66% winning record. Only Kraft has a higher percentage but he didn't at the time. And if you are talking about the time with the Rams, his winning percentage was quite a bit higher than even Kraft and his cheatriot organization.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Enos Stanley Kroenke exercising the right of refusal and shutting out Shad Khan.
The Rams, with Khan at the helm, and Kroenke pining for Denver right now, would be readying for a new stadium opening with a much different front office and a much different prognosis for the foreseeable future (which in the NFL should be the rest of the current season and the upcoming season only!)...There is simply no way this franchise would be the toxic dumpster fire that it is if the current owner had just cashed out 4 years ago.

Fisher may have never happened.
The RG3 situation would have played out totally differently (a blind man throwing darts at a draft board could have done as well with those picks)...
An owner who poisons his fanbase, for ANY reason - desire to move, greed, gross incompetence, poor delegation of authority, general lack of concern with on-field results - is always a franchise's worst enemy and the worst thing to happen to it. Hell, look at complete boobs like little Danny Snyder in Washington and ask a 'Skins fan how well that works out!

I agree. Losing a player pales in comparison to losing a team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yep. I'm with you here. The death of Carroll Rosenbloom. In the past 5 years? Beating the Browns or the Saints (either one) in 2011. We lose that game and the Rams draft Luck. Yea, we don't get that mega trade but we do flip Bradford to the Browns for pick #22 and likely something else that year.

Having Luck would have changed things in a tremendous way. The guy is not a miracle worker but he would have likely stayed healthy for us and given us a bigger margin for error with the WRs we brought in.(as well as some continuity and leadership at QB)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Yep. I'm with you here. The death of Carroll Rosenbloom. In the past 5 years? Beating the Browns or the Saints (either one) in 2011. We lose that game and the Rams draft Luck. Yea, we don't get that mega trade but we do flip Bradford to the Browns for pick #22 and likely something else that year.

Having Luck would have changed things in a tremendous way. The guy is not a miracle worker but he would have likely stayed healthy for us and given us a bigger margin for error with the WRs we brought in.(as well as some continuity and leadership at QB)

As I recall - it was a botched last second field goal that allowed us to beat the Browns and lose out on Luck.