What was the most disastrous moment/event/decision in Rams history?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
With only 4 winning seasons in the last 26 years, there are a lot to choose from. I don't want to be overly negative, but to me the most disastrous moment was Dick Vermiel's "retirement". Yeah we would have lost Martz, but Vermiel did very well in Kansas City with Al Saunders as OC. Martz was a genius offensive mind, but he wasn't great at managing games and structuring well rounded teams. I feel if he would have stayed we would have at least won another super bowl. Orlando Pace shared the same sentiment. Vermiel did a better job at identifying and developing talent. I also believe had Vermiel been here we wouldn't have given the 2 time MVP and super bowl MVP the boot. I think his "retirement" really sent this organization in the wrong way and it has never recovered. Thoughts?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Starting the St Louis run (I know it was '96 but...) with the drafting of Lawrence Philips. Other than player decisions? The Ziggy/Shaw circus.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Losing Martz.
We've been searching for his replacement ever since.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Georgia taking over the team instead of one of Carrolls sons or selling the team to a serious owner.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'd say Hacksaw Reynolds to the 49ers
But... We win the bowl so that was erased for me

But on the same note - this is what I think has been the "current" most disastrous move(s)

DISASTROUS MOVE 1A

image.jpg

DISASTROUS MOVE 1b
image.jpg

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Georgia taking over the team instead of one of Carrolls sons or selling the team to a serious owner.

Rams could have survived the loss of Carroll, so to me, it was the firing of Steve Rosenbloom by his step-mother.

Steve was being groomed, and I suspect, was almost ready to take over with a successful structure in place.

Whether in Anaheim or St. Louis, I am of the opinion that Steve would have gotten it done sooner than Georgia, and most likely multiple times not just the one time Georgia managed to find the acorn.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm only going to comment on the last 10-15 years, as that's how long I've been a fan.

#1 The great fix of 36. Seriously, the NFL made sure we lost that game, by any means necessary. Other people call it the homeland security bowl.

The 2nd worst one in recent memory, firing Martz.

And #2 wouldn't have happened if the first one had never occurred.

And #3, the dirty hit on Bradford in Carolina that blew out his knee, and destroyed his career after he was finally starting to get it.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Losing the SB to Pats was by far the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. We could/should of been a dynasty. Everything changed after that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The playoff blow out loss to Atlanta. It's been incredibly down hill since.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Agreed wholeheartedly as a St. Louis fan. I'd have probably chosen the Rams even if they were in LA. That was in my DNA from birth. But a serious owner, a good owner...we've been missing that since Carroll died.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Agreed wholeheartedly as a St. Louis fan. I'd have probably chosen the Rams even if they were in LA. That was in my DNA from birth. But a serious owner, a good owner...we've been missing that since Carroll died.
Man a good owner makes all the difference. Here in St Louis you see the Cardinals do well year after year and it's because the DeWitts are incredible owners. They know how to build a sustainable winner. Kroenke may spend money, but he hasn't built consistent winners with any of the team's he owns.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
She brought the city of St. Louis a Super Bowl, can't complain too much.
I gotta say. She had as little to do with putting this organization in position to win a Superbowl as she did in making successful marriages. She drained every dime she possibly could out of this organization and then, like every blind mouse, found some cheese. It is true she helped bring the Rams to St Louis and by default helped bring a Superbowl to St Louis. But she didn't do her best to help anyone but herself. You could say that Stan did every bit as much to bring a Superbowl to St Louis. No Stan = no move to the Lou my darlin'

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Carroll Rosenbloom's death, no doubt about it. It is hard to fathom how effed it is to fire the son of your dead husband. Just a despicable maneuver. Then she added insult to injury by moving them all over creation first to Anaheim then to STL. That was all about her, all of it. She was straight garbage and there is no person in Rams lore I despised as much as her.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That double OT loss to the Panthers in 2003. That team could have won the Super Bowl if they beat the Panthers, because it would have been a stepping stone to a showdown (rematch) against the Patriots, and there's no way they would have lost to them twice. No freaking way.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I was wrong.
Georgia was the worst thing to every happen to this once great organization.

She also screwed Rosenblooms kids out of the team.

WITCH.