What that extra 3rd round pick could mean…

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Here are some players currently ranked between 90 and 110 among 2024 draft prospects by PFF and/or CBS. One of these players could potentially be a guy the Rams might be able to select as a result of Raheem Morris’ hiring by the Falcons (which gives us an extra selection at pick 100 or 101):

Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina
Cooper Beebe, OG, Kansas State
Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia
Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State
Marshawn Lloyd, RB, USC
Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas
Junior Colson, LB, Michigan

This is, of course, a very preliminary sampling, but it really illustrates how valuable the extra pick could be.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
Puka was a 5th rounder, so it could mean a WHOLE LOT !!!
We need to beef up the O line and DB help.
The NFL is about the O line, most important unit on a football team. And the draft.
I can only hope F them picks is a thing of the past.
All you have to do is look at last years draft with no 1st or 2nd and the front office should be able to figure out the rest.
Our Super Bowl in our stadium was overvalued. We got it, but paid a price.
I like long term success with a core bunch of players that stay together for a good while. Loyalty matters to me and its getting hard to come by these days.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Puka was a 5th rounder, so it could mean a WHOLE LOT !!!
We need to beef up the O line and DB help.
The NFL is about the O line, most important unit on a football team. And the draft.
I can only hope F them picks is a thing of the past.
All you have to do is look at last years draft with no 1st or 2nd and the front office should be able to figure out the rest.
I like long term success with a core bunch of players that stay together for a good while. Loyalty matters to me and its getting hard to come by these days.
The world you are talking about hasnt existed since FA.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If Spencer Rattler has a good Senior Bowl which people are expecting, I don't think he lasts that long.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Spencer Rattler has a good Senior Bowl which people are expecting, I don't think he lasts that long.
As I said, these rankings are very preliminary. Right now Rattler is viewed as about the 7th ranked QB, but that certainly could change.

I really like the idea of an ILB (Ford, Colson) at that spot.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
as a result of Raheem Morris’ hiring by the Falcons (which gives us an extra selection at pick 100 or 101):

Yes, a top-100 pick is awesome. As you mention someone who is a high 3rd round could fall ... sometimes late 2nd round projection can fall ...

regardless, McSnead has proven they can hit on this level of picks ... since 2017 you can question several of their 2nd rounders but middle of draft they've been pretty good.

Tano

Legend
As I said, these rankings are very preliminary. Right now Rattler is viewed as about the 7th ranked QB, but that certainly could change.

I also like the idea of Beebe in the 3rd round as well

Tano

Legend
Yes, a top-100 pick is awesome. As you mention someone who is a high 3rd round could fall ... sometimes late 2nd round projection can fall ...

regardless, McSnead has proven they can hit on this level of picks ... since 2017 you can question several of their 2nd rounders but middle of draft they've been pretty good.
What - Tutu was a great choice << @Loyal

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Winning a SB could never be overvalued. Winning it in your own building can't be surpassed.
I like long term success with a core bunch of players that stay together for a good while.
We've had long term success despite reality being a continuous turnover in personnel and assistant coaches. 6 winning seasons in seven. 5 playoff appearances. 2 Superbowls. 1 Lombardi. The only team better over that span is KC.

It seems like you're understating the past 7 years. Depending on what happens the next 3 years, McVay's tenure could rank as top 5 ten year run in history. It's already the best ever for the Rams. Another Lombardi and he's a HOF lock. Considering the era, the turnover, particularly with assistant coaches and his age, it's already remarkable.

Last edited:

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I say it every year, but you can never go wrong with building the trenches. I would use the extra 3rd rounder on an offensive lineman all things being equal. If someone at another position completely falls into our lap obviously you jump on him. We might end up needing a Doctson replacement, and centre seems like a position we can upgrade. If all the vets come back there is nothing wrong if a very late 3rd round pick serves primarily as quality depth in his rookie year.

Psycho_X

Legend
It gives flexibility which is a huge weapon for someone like Les who loves to wheel and deal. It gives them more chips to move up in the 1st round if someone they love makes it outside the top 10. Or hell, if they love someone anywhere in the top 10 they could conceivably trade up with having two extra day two picks to pad their totals. Or could trade their 1st for a player with more to fall back on. Etc etc, flexibility is wonderful in the draft and always makes for a good time for us with Les Snead in charge.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What price did we pay?

We had one losing season with a ridiculous amount of injuries that lead to a HC who rejuvenated his coaching soul.

We payed no price. That is ESPN talking head nonsense.*

*with all due respect to your opinion

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Here are some players currently ranked between 90 and 110 among 2024 draft prospects by PFF and/or CBS. One of these players could potentially be a guy the Rams might be able to select as a result of Raheem Morris’ hiring by the Falcons (which gives us an extra selection at pick 100 or 101):

Blake Corum, RB, Michigan
Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina
Cooper Beebe, OG, Kansas State
Sedrick Van Pran, C, Georgia
Cade Stover, TE, Ohio State
Marshawn Lloyd, RB, USC
Jaylan Ford, LB, Texas
Junior Colson, LB, Michigan

This is, of course, a very preliminary sampling, but it really illustrates how valuable the extra pick could be.
These are the reasons I'm very interested in trading back a bunch. Unless a truly top-tier corner is available, I'd be trading back significantly... Goal would be six picks in first three rounds.
But.. I could also see being less aggressive and trying to pick up two fourths.. while keeping 4 picks in first four rounds.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Happy Robot GIF

WestCoastRam

Legend

Yeah, it sounds like NFL teams are higher on him. So much of these rankings changing are just people figuring out what the NFL teams think and yes, some more self study.

WestCoastRam

Legend
What price did we pay?

We had one losing season with a ridiculous amount of injuries that lead to a HC who rejuvenated his coaching soul.

We payed no price. That is ESPN talking head nonsense.*

*with all due respect to your opinion
Can I get that price on subscription?