What position should we target first (the pros and cons)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There are a few positions I'd rule out entirely as targets for the #37 pick (QB, probably DT, inside linebacker, SS, probably FS).

So what position would I target. Here are my pros and cons:

Running Back
Pros: Should be very good value at pick #37. RBs very often make a significant impact as rookies. Can't fully rely on Cam Akers or Kyren Williams.
Cons: If Akers plays like he did in the second half of the season, and Williams develops, our need would be very limited. There could be very good options later in the draft.

Wide Receiver
Pros: Very good, immediate impact options could be available. Depth chart strong but, as we saw this year, you can always use more.
Cons: Don't need a No. 1. Probably don't need a No. 2. Unless we're going to move a player like Robinson or Jefferson, this is a position that can wait until Day 3.

Tight End
Pros: Very good options at this stage of draft.
Cons: Unless the offensive system changes, a TE is just not a primary player. We still have Tyler Higbee, so this is not a big need.

Offensive Tackle
Pros: One could argue that a long-term solution at LT is our biggest need
Cons: May not be viable options this late in draft.

Offensive Guard/Center
Pros: Can get one of the top OGs, may be able to get a Top 2-3 center, in early 2nd round.
Cons: Its a glue/core spot, as opposed to a playmaker spot. Impact may not be dramatic, and may not need to pull trigger this early.

Edge Rusher
Pros: Definite need. Pass rushers can make huge impact.
Cons: May not be a plug-and-play guy that gets out of first round.

Cornerback
Pros: Definitely can be impact players available here. Would be great to bookend Ramsey.
Cons: High boom/bust risk at this position.

All things considered, my first preference would be a LT, but I'm currently skeptical that a worthy one will be available (keeping an eye on the Senior Bowl for possible 2nd round "sleepers").

As a result, I'm on the fence between interior OL and CB.

Thoughts?

Center. Impact may not be dramatic? Anyone remwhat Travis Frederick did for that Dallas OL? Humphries is making Mahomes viable to play on one leg stuffing the interior pressure…

If there’s an impact center at that 2nd round pick, they need to sprint to the table with his name on it.

As we’re seeing with 3 of the 4 teams in the Conference Championships, dominant interior line play substantially increases efficiency and translates to deep playoff runs

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Center. Impact may not be dramatic? Anyone remwhat Travis Frederick did for that Dallas OL? Humphries is making Mahomes viable to play on one leg stuffing the interior pressure…

If there’s an impact center at that 2nd round pick, they need to sprint to the table with his name on it.

As we’re seeing with 3 of the 4 teams in the Conference Championships, dominant interior line play substantially increases efficiency and translates to deep playoff runs
My full quote was “Impact may not be dramatic, and may not need to pull trigger this early.”

So, in considering interior OL at pick #37, they should consider both the impact of bolstering those positions AND whether a comparable impact could be had if we wait until pick #69.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Pocic is yet another guy I liked (and mocked) for the Rams, but…
It is annoying to watch games and see solid, if not thriving, Centers that you wanted for the Rams when they were drafted. I guess it comes with the territory when you have been screaming for a Center who could be a legit anchor on the OL for nearly every year for the last 10+ drafts.