What position should we target first (the pros and cons)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
There are a few positions I'd rule out entirely as targets for the #37 pick (QB, probably DT, inside linebacker, SS, probably FS).

So what position would I target. Here are my pros and cons:

Running Back
Pros: Should be very good value at pick #37. RBs very often make a significant impact as rookies. Can't fully rely on Cam Akers or Kyren Williams.
Cons: If Akers plays like he did in the second half of the season, and Williams develops, our need would be very limited. There could be very good options later in the draft.

Wide Receiver
Pros: Very good, immediate impact options could be available. Depth chart strong but, as we saw this year, you can always use more.
Cons: Don't need a No. 1. Probably don't need a No. 2. Unless we're going to move a player like Robinson or Jefferson, this is a position that can wait until Day 3.

Tight End
Pros: Very good options at this stage of draft.
Cons: Unless the offensive system changes, a TE is just not a primary player. We still have Tyler Higbee, so this is not a big need.

Offensive Tackle
Pros: One could argue that a long-term solution at LT is our biggest need
Cons: May not be viable options this late in draft.

Offensive Guard/Center
Pros: Can get one of the top OGs, may be able to get a Top 2-3 center, in early 2nd round.
Cons: Its a glue/core spot, as opposed to a playmaker spot. Impact may not be dramatic, and may not need to pull trigger this early.

Edge Rusher
Pros: Definite need. Pass rushers can make huge impact.
Cons: May not be a plug-and-play guy that gets out of first round.

Cornerback
Pros: Definitely can be impact players available here. Would be great to bookend Ramsey.
Cons: High boom/bust risk at this position.

All things considered, my first preference would be a LT, but I'm currently skeptical that a worthy one will be available (keeping an eye on the Senior Bowl for possible 2nd round "sleepers").

As a result, I'm on the fence between interior OL and CB.

Thoughts?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Of course, it really depends on which players land where we'll be picking, ... BPA should rule the day.
By the time the Combine completes, player draft position prospects will be shuffled once again, although if we are strictly speaking positions, then adding a top CB to pair with Ramsey should provide a significant impact. Still there are a number of positions needing an upgrade, and hopefully I've addressed most of them in my most recent mock.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Of course, it really depends on which players land where we'll be picking, ... BPA should rule the day.
I always think of it as a hybrid between need and BPA. I also think that short term/long term analysis comes into play depending on where the team perceives itself.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm all in on coming away with a cornerback and mebbe even two if things fall that way.
If we can get some corners who can play man it will free up our new DC (Vic Fangio) to stop playing scared like the other DC did, try some new things, and even add some delightful blitz packages.
Also I'm not sure why you think that the bust factor is higher than other positions.
I've noticed that Green Bay has used this strategy of drafting corners at the end of the First round or top of the Second.... right where we are picking.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I haven't started Draft prep yet but ideally, a combination of Edge/CB amongst our early picks would be my preference. Tighten up the side opposite Jalen (I'm loathe to say 'lock-down' for a rookie CB) and combine that with a real threat opposite Floyd and it won't matter if we are playing with a lead or not, these guys can pin their ears back and make the opposing QB's day hell on earth.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Every year I seem to spend a ton of time researching players, Rams need, availability at our draft spot, BPA, etc. — and Snead picks someone that wasn’t even a consideration. This year I’ll save my time and wait until they call our draft picks out. Then go on to proclaim unrealistic stardom all spring/summer long for each and every one of our new Rams!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams seem to be more of a BPA team tbh. My preference is an Edge. We have some young CB who with a better DB coach might be coached up to take some pressure off Ramsey and I think there's a couple vets who could be signed for the same thing. I don't see a realistic target at Edge right now however. A pass rusher has been my biggest need on D all year and it stays the same going into the off season. Ojulari as Jrry and a few others have mocked would be great. Byron Young from Tennessee is intriguing. Felix Anudike-Uzomah from K State and Zach Harrison from Ohio St. My favorite of the bunch would have to fall to us due to his injury this past year in Nolan Smith from Georgia. I think Ojulari is a very real prospect though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's going to be fascinating to see how they approach things. I think what the Rams do is move to where they need to be in order to get the position they want at the value that is appropriate on their board. So if there's an edge they really want but he's got some questions to him where his value is further down the board they try to move to where appropriate and take him there. McVay is a great partner for Snead because he is willing to do that, unlike Fisher who acted like a victim when he lost Wagner. And of course Fish was not wrong, it was a big mistake, but still I think he didn't fully use Snead's ability to stack a good board and I doubt he was as detailed as McVay in telling the scouts what he wants in each position and role.

So for this draft I think coming out of it with an Edge or LT is a high priority. Might not happen due to how those positions are taken, but you start with that desire. If a top guy on their board slides close to us from either of those positions I would think they move up to get him. If not then take the best player on their board.

Snead has mentioned before that they have players in rough groups of equivalency, so when they move down it's "ok we have this pool of guys to pick from regardless of whether the guy we want most is there." LT is project city once you get into rounds two and later. Edge is similar, though they do tend to impact quickly if they fit the scheme and aren't injury risk types. So Edge probably makes more sense but it's gonna come down to who's on the board.

Tell you right now I'd take an impact player from any position. That's really what we need. If the best guy on the board is a corner take him. But I think LT and Edge are serious problems for this team. LT kills the OL because the QB can't keep his eyes downfield when he's got a revolving door over there due to injuries or poor play. Edge kills the defense because our secondary is a sieve without a top rush. But a shutdown corner would sure change that too. So I really don't care about position other than it would be nice to see a big cornerstone need filled. And of course CB is a cornerstone position along with QB, LT, Edge. But a top safety could do the same thing, if he's a guy who is a stud impact type player that can roam the deep middle and make teams pay.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My opinion:
1. Trade Down (I'd try to drop 8-10 slots)
2. Edge Rusher
3. DB (could see us drafting a safety, unless we bring back JJIII, or a CB)

I think we go get an OL in the 3rd or early on Day 3. Keep an eye on Devon Achane, the HB from Texas A&M. I think he's a perfect system fit and would be an awesome complement to Akers. My guess is he goes in the late 2nd to mid 3rd round due to his size.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like OL, RB, or WR early.

I think we find an EDGE in FA.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

We may. If we do, that changes things. In that scenario, I'd trade down and go OL or DB likely. I don't see WR as a need.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I don’t think spending any pick or FA money on a WR this year is a need at all. In fact, that position may be at the bottom of this list as far as needs go.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah our draft priority is anyone's guess until free agency is sorted. And what about Hoecht? Are Floyd and Hoecht passable at edge?

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Totally agree on EDGE. It’s just too difficult to find a rookie who can make an immediate impact as a pass rusher. Here are the number of rookies who had 8 or more sacks in each of the last 5 seasons, along with the number taken in Round 2 or later:

2022: 2 (1)
2021: 3 (1)
2020: 0 (0)
2019: 3 (1)
2018: 1 (0)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Totally agree on EDGE. It’s just too difficult to find a rookie who can make an immediate impact as a pass rusher. Here are the number of rookies who had 8 or more sacks in each of the last 5 seasons, along with the number taken in Round 2 or later:

2022: 2 (1)
2021: 3 (1)
2020: 0 (0)
2019: 3 (1)
2018: 1 (0)
I hadn’t seen that stat before. Pretty surprising. It takes experience to refine technique along the DL is what that confirms for me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LOL Dan Brugler has in his latest mock us taking Nolan Smith. Been wanting him there for a while might have to change up a mock now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
LOL Dan Brugler has in his latest mock us taking Nolan Smith. Been wanting him there for a while might have to change up a mock now.

Nolan Smith is someone I'm targeting. Felix Anudike-Uzomah (Kansas State) is another interesting option who will likely be there (there's a chance that Smith goes first round).

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nolan Smith is someone I'm targeting. Felix Anudike-Uzomah (Kansas State) is another interesting option who will likely be there (there's a chance that Smith goes first round).
Smith is absolutely a 1st round talent, just depends on him coming to combine and workouts healthy. Changing course with my current mock working on though and will target an OT in the 2nd.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
For me, its EDGE definitely. We had a black hole of non performance opposite Floyd. FA edges' that are worth their salt tend to be spendy. We have very limited funds. I'm also hopeful that we can get something in return on a trade of ARob. There has to be a team needy enough at WR to desire him; Giants, Jags, Titans, etc.

I'm not sure I love Nolan Smith as much as BJ Ojulari. Honestly, its been a while since I've seen Smith play, but, he wasn't terribly productive in college at all, which I know isn't everything.