What position do you see as priority for early draft picks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When you pick late 2nd you gotta wait and see who's on the board. But there are so many guys who could help us.

I enjoy picking my way through tape on the Rams' big need areas. Also I try not to look at the slam dunk first round types but then I watch a guy like Zaven Collins because I see a list that has him well into the second round and tbh it pisses me off that we won't have a shot at him. But there will be an impact player type or two who fall to us in this draft. Rams just gotta see it and go get it.

If I'm GM this is a LOS draft. But you can go in with that mentality then your pick is up and you have a badass from another position sitting there. What do you do. You take the badass. Then you at some point address that other position with whatever you can best fit in the remainder of the draft.

dang

Legend
It would be nice to have another 2nd round or early 3rd round pick to allow flexibility in going for a great prospect that has fallen in the draft. That would require a sale (trade) in a buyers market.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I see both C and at least one Edge being addressed with a starting quality FA predraft. Needn’t be elite at C, but at least a slight upgrade over Blythe. An $8-10M per year Edge might do the trick while playing with AD.

That would leave Snead free to take BPA at almost every pick with the sole exception of a second Edge. He’s gotta keep drafting Edge high until he finds one that can stay healthy enough to be counted upon for consistent quality snaps.

My semi-sleeper pick might be a LOT that they like at 57.
Snead can not catch a break with his past selections @ OLB'er. In the last draft, he drafted Terrell lewis in the 3rd rd....never healthy to contribute.

In 2018 Snead drafted four edge rushers ...Franklin-Myers, Okoronkwo, Young & Lawler using his 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th round picks. Franklin & Young were cut in their 2nd seasons, Okorankwo & Lawler have been injured the majority of their 3 seasons here. Price was drafted in 2017 same as Samson Ebukam Price was cut. Ebukam has been Snead's only healthy OLB'er drafted now he is a UFA.

Currently, Snead has only 2 known quantities @ OLB'er the always injured Okoronkwo & last season pick up Denvers' waiver wire Justin Hollins.

An ER has to be a serious concern & a targeted position in this upcoming draft. No other unit position (OLB) in this team is in such a poor state.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
My guess would be OT or DE in the draft. I'm thinking we might get our next Edge as a free agent like we did with Fowler & Floyd.
I going to throw you a curve here! I have been thinking it would be an excellent time to draft a OT too .......so

What type of OT are you thinking about here? Left or Right?

With two brand new just out-of-the-box offensive line coaches on board & ready ....the OL mindset (scheme) since the veteran OL coach arrived with Snead/McVay in 2017 just may be totally rethought or even trashed?

Snead has an extra-large OL unit under contract currently. Most of this OL cadre are still operating OT's or previous long-term OT's in college & HS.

Rams have 3 experienced starting OT's already in Andrew Whitworth/ Rob Havenstein & Joe Noteboom. The 4th swing OT Bobby Evans has started close to a dozen gms his first 2 seasons, 2 of which were playoff gms.

Last season Rams drafted OT Tremayne Anchrum & Kromer from the start of Training Camp assigned TA primarily to playing left OT behind Whitworth & when Whitworth was injured this same rookie was the backup to starting LT Noteboom until the regular season was completed. Now we just heard Snead specifically mention 2019 season reserve LT Chandler Brewer & the positive that he was returning to his position in 2021.

If the OL stays intact (with all your restructuring of contracts) & the exception of Blythe might this new re-thought OL deem that 2021 is just fine @ LT post with Whitworth/ Noteboom/ Evans/ Brewer & Anchrum all smushed in @ the LT post?

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I going to throw you a curve here my Ram bud! I have been thinking it would be an excellent time to draft a OT too .......so

What type of OT are you thinking about here? Left or Right?

With two brand new just out-of-the-box offensive line coaches on board & ready ....the OL mindset (scheme) since the veteran OL coach arrived with Snead/McVay in 2017 just may be totally rethought or even trashed?

Snead has an extra-large OL unit under contract currently. Most of this OL cadre are still operating OT's or previous long-term OT's in college & HS.

Rams have 3 experienced starting OT's already in Andrew Whitworth/ Rob Havenstein & Joe Noteboom. The 4th swing OT Bobby Evans has started close to a dozen gms his first 2 seasons, 2 of which were playoff gms.

Last season Rams drafted OT Tremayne Anchrum & Kromer from the start of Training Camp assigned TA primarily to playing left OT behind Whitworth & when Whitworth was injured this same rookie was the backup to starting LT Noteboom until the regular season was completed. Now we just heard Snead specifically mention 2019 season reserve LT Chandler Brewer & the positive that he was returning to his position in 2021.

If the OL stays intact (with all your restructuring of contracts) & the exception of Blythe might this new re-thought OL deem that 2021 is just fine @ LT post with Whitworth/ Noteboom/ Evans/ Brewer & Anchrum all smushed in @ the LT post?

This draft, however limited for the Rams, must also appreciate that 4 offensive linemen become eligible for free agency following the 2021 season, and this isn't counting the likely retirement of Whitworth. I'm not a big fan of Evans, but he still has two years under contract and has time to show better, although I really believe the rest of those mentioned having the potential for a strong future.
If indeed we seek our Edge in free agency, then another LT type, someone who can compete with Noteboom for Whitworth's starting role and compete at RT in the event Havenstein is moved as a CAP casualty is high on my want list. Being we have a new defensive coordinator and we'll likely lose our 5T DE (Fox) to free agency soon, this position also becomes critical for me, and while I liked Copeland from what I could see of his 2019 practices, I'm not sure whether he has elevated himself to starter status, likely better positioned as a back-up for 2021. I do believe the Rams must find a way to move higher in the 3'rd round to secure those quality OT/DE's with our 2'nd round and 3'rd round picks. jmo.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems like the past few years Snead has drafted for positions that will have openings the next year due to FA. Which further makes me think we’ll go OL with a couple picks. Not necessarily with the first pick but overall for the 2021 class. That plus fixing some current holes like Edge & LB (possibly even a CB since Williams is likely gone after this year).