What position do you see as priority for early draft picks?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I understand it’s always wise to target and select BPA..., but everyone has things they root for, or hope will unfold...

This piece caught my eye, because I think EDGE is filled by FA... not a draft priority. Keep playing the prove-it game at DE. Should have lots of vets to pick from.

I could see OL and Linebacker as top choices for the early draft picks. A speedy WR, maybe, but maybe also prefer the later round option looking for a slip thru cracks type.

NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah talks Rams options at pick No. 57 in 2021 NFL Draft

Barring an unforeseen trade, the Rams will enter their third consecutive draft without a first-round pick, though the lack of a Top 32 selection hasn't necessarily been a detriment to Los Angeles' ability to address its roster needs, as recent examples like 2020 second-round pick Cam Akers (No. 52 overall) and sixth-round pick Jordan Fuller (No. 199 overall) have shown.

When asked by theRams.com about the direction Los Angeles could take at No. 57 overall based on their current needs ahead of both free agency and this year's NFL Draft, NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah said he could see the Rams addressing needs at either offensive line or edge rusher there.

"When you look at them, I think you're trying to find more edge rush. We'll see what happens in free agency," Jeremiah said on a video conference call Tuesday. "And then you can look on the offensive line, both interior and at tackle. So those would be the two places I would look."

As Jeremiah alluded to, whether the Rams choose to add an edge rusher with their first selection depends on how free agency unfolds for them. It's possible they re-sign one or both of Leonard Floyd and Samson Ebukam, who are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents next week. Plus, as discussed in each player's respective free agent spotlight, adding their replacement through free agency can't be ruled out, either.

With that in mind, if Los Angeles elects to take an edge rusher in the second round, Jeremiah said Houston senior Payton Turner is a prospect who would make sense for L.A. Turner posted a team-high 10.5 tackles for loss and five sacks while playing Bandit – the pass-rushing linebacker position within the Cougars defense.

"He lost some weight a little bit coming into this year. He was pretty dominant at the Senior Bowl," Jeremiah said. "(6-foot-5), 270 pounds, and he can play with his hand down or up. He's got really active hands, he's got speed to power. He's an interesting player that's just outside my top 50 as a rusher."

The Rams could have multiple quality options if they went offensive line instead, as Jeremiah said earlier in the call that he liked the depth of this year's offensive line class. If they chose that route – which could be a possibility with center Austin Blythe scheduled to become a free agent – Jeremiah mentioned Illinois redshirt junior Kendrick Green as a potential prospect that would make sense for them at No. 57.

Green primarily played left guard his first two seasons, starting all 12 games there as a redshirt freshman in 2018, followed by another 12 in 2019, plus one start at center. In 2020, he started all eight games – making three of them at center in place of injured starter Doug Kramer – and his performance earned him Second Team All-America recognition from USA TODAY, as a consensus First Team All-Big Ten selection. Green ended his college career with 33 consecutive starts.

"Somebody like Kendrick Green from Illinois is fascinating to me," Jeremiah said. "He's played left guard, he's played center. He can bend, he's explosive. I thought he's somebody that had his best football out ahead of him. He's listed at 6-4, 315 pounds but he can really move. That would be one as an interior lineman (that) I would keep an eye on just outside the top 50."

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
My choice would be between offensive line or an elite inside linebacker. Plenty of good options in the third/fourth rounds for outside linebackers and a speedy wide receiver could be in the fourth as well.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Center is my hope. I want the best they can get.

The Rams have been connected with two speedy WRs. Eskeridge and Smith-Marsette. They value skill positions so it could be one of them. They could use a good guard as well imo.

I see a few people talking about the Rams Oline switching schemes, but I’ve read that Carberry is very good at horizontal zone style blocking scheme. I know Jourdan said she expects three Olinemen to get picked but I guess it’s likely that they would be third, fourth, fifth round types. Kind of like they’ve had.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I understand it’s always wise to target and select BPA..., but everyone has things they root for, or hope will unfold...

This piece caught my eye, because I think EDGE is filled by FA... not a draft priority. Keep playing the prove-it game at DE. Should have lots of vets to pick from.

I could see OL and Linebacker as top choices for the early draft picks. A speedy WR, maybe, but maybe also prefer the later round option looking for a slip thru cracks type.
"
It's my belief that defensive draft picks usually do better than offensive selections in early returns on the field. Most OL'ers never get close to getting done most just stay raw & uncooked!

Snead needs to Just go to the slow-smoked fully cooked OL Free Agent Restaurant & get an "order to go" for a center.

FA pass rushers are close to the top at being the most expensive players in FA'cy...still think the Rams will go this direction?

Defensive OLB'ers often come into the NFL & produce highly for most all NFL teams. Snead drafts them & they get injured & stay injured.... examples like Og Okoronkwo, Justin Lawler & Terrell Lewis.....Snead needs to finally get it right this draft!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We have to replace Floyd in my opinion.
With a 2nd-day draft selection or a seriously high-priced Free Agent?

One is very easy to do the other is hard when you have zero cash to spend.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bucs won a Super Bowl on the strength of their front 7. The Rams lost in the playoffs because our front 7 outside of Donald are JAGs.

If we want to win the whole thing we need to upgrade from Floyd. Without Donald he may as well have been an Ebukam clone out there.

Can we do that in the draft? Possibly, but not likely.

If we want to win a Super Bowl this year, we need to put a rookie in a less stressful/pressure position. To me this means that both EDGE and C need to be addressed in FA, and it'd be nice to add a DB too.

ILB is what I'm hoping for early, followed by OL, EDGE, OL.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
With a 2nd-day draft selection or a seriously high-priced Free Agent?

One is very easy to do the other is hard when you have zero cash to spend.

I honestly don't know enough about the draft class to even know what is available this year. I know we can't afford a FA. So, we need to hope for draft gems.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Depends who they lose and sign/re-sign.

JJ and Leonard Floyd being gone could mean they'll go for their replacements. They probably won't do what we want at that pick, which everyone should expect at this point.

We already saw that last year. Lost Todd Gurley, Brandin Cooks, Clay Matthews, Cory Littleton, NRC, Eric Weddle, Greg Zuerlein.

Drafted Cam Akers, Van Jefferson, signed Leonard Floyd, drafted Terrell Burgess, Terrell Lewis, and Jordan Fuller, had Darious Williams and Troy Williams developing, draft Sam Sloman/signed Matt Gay.

People will say they should get that position or that positions. That's not how teams operate. I won't be surprised one bit if say, they go WR or DT if they move Cooper Kupp or Michael Brockers.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
JJ and Leonard Floyd being gone could mean they'll go for their replacements. They probably won't do what we want at that pick, which everyone should expect at this point.

If Lewis and Burgess are healthy I believe they can replace these two without any fall off. Floyd racked up almost all his sacks in two games.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Offensive line..... give Stafford more time and get Cam to have a better sophomore year toting the rock.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If Lewis and Burgess are healthy I believe they can replace these two without any fall off. Floyd racked up almost all his sacks in two games.

Yeah but they are mid to late round picks coming off injuries, and at the very least will need depth. If they identify a safety for example they feel can step right in an play at JJ's level or better, they'll take him with their first pick. This could maximize TB's potential too by not forcing the starting role on him and letting him develop more.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Obviously, a lot depends on which FAs (our own and from the market) are signed but, right now, assuming we don't sign any significant UFAs (I expect we'll retain Darious Williams, who is a RFA), I'd rank it as follows:

1. EDGE/Pass Rusher: there are some prospects I like who could be there on day 2, including Patrick Jones (Pitt), Victor Dimukeje (Duke) and Quincy Roche (Miami). What a great spot for any rookie... playing behind Aaron Donald!

2. Center/Guard: I think we need more beef in the middle of the OL. I like Creed Humphrey (Oklahoma), Josh Myers (Ohio State) and Quinn Meinerz (Wisconsin-Whitewater).

3. Cornerback: you really need to be 4 deep at this position. We will likely lose Troy Hill, and David Long has not proven himself reliable. I like Rodarius Williams (Oklahoma State) and Assante Samuel, Jr. (Florida State).

4. WR: We have the need, the need for speed. Tutu Atwell (Louisville), Dyami Brown (UNC) and D'Wayne Eskridge (Western Michigan) are guys to watch.

5. OT: Have to plan for a post-Whitworth world. Dillon Radunz (North Dakota State) and Walter Little (Stanford) could be options.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have over a half dozen safeties (7) under contract now. SS Taylor Rapp & FS Jordan Fuller have been the starters when healthy. Safety Nick Scott is now in his 3rd season has played in 33 NFL gms in 2 seasons saw 193 snaps with the defense in 2020 as the deep safety. Jake Gervase is another safety entering his 3rd season. FS JuJu Hughes played in 13 gms last season. SS JR Reed played in 9 NFL gms. Then there is safety Terrell Burgess who played in 7 gms before his injury.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This is a great questions man. I do think the hardest part in answering this is dependent on what we can do to free up CAP space. We are pretty far over now so it's gonna take a lot of restructuring to have room to even navigate free agency. Because if we don't then the draft becomes even more important. As things stand now and not knowing what happens with Floyd I'd like to see:

OL- This needs to be bulked up. The GB loss should of taught us this if we didn't already know it. We have the QB and RB to be very good, let's make sure they get what they need to put up points. Plus, Big Witt is not getting any younger and I'm not sold on Noteboom.
LB- With a new D coordinator I still think we are a little void in talent in this area.
WR- I still think we need either a true burner or a BIG target that can go up and make plays.

That said, if we lose Floyd, which is likely, then Edge rusher becomes a much greater need.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There seems to be a consensus with DL & OL. LBs & a deep threat there after.

My personal hope is that C is addressed immediately in FA. Focus for the draft is a replacement for Floyd or ILB.

But what do I know, I couldn’t make sense of the Rams 2020 draft at the time. So I am sure Sneed and McVay have other thoughts in mind.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
My guess would be OT or DE in the draft. I'm thinking we might get our next Edge as a free agent like we did with Fowler & Floyd.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I think there is going to be a lot of vets in FA accepting 1 year deals due to the lowered cap and expectations that the cap will take a big bump next season (provided COVID is minimized). That said, I think we will have several options at edge with guys taking a one year deal and interested in a chance to win a ring (V.Miller, Ingram, Dupree, Barrett, Dunlap, Clowney, Houston, Kerrigan, Vernon, etc). Honestly, there is a ton of guys out there that are not likely signing a long term deal this offseason.

I think if Landon Dickerson is there for our 2nd pick, I'd be all over that. Same could be said for Humphrey. A few solid center options in FA also: Nich Martin, Mack (does he have another year in him?), Linsley.

I think it boils down to Edge, C, CB for our 2nd rounder. If someone crazy drops to us like Rondale Moore I could see McVay being too excited to not take them however, with his offensive mind at work.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I see both C and at least one Edge being addressed with a starting quality FA predraft. Needn’t be elite at C, but at least a slight upgrade over Blythe. An $8-10M per year Edge might do the trick while playing with AD.

That would leave Snead free to take BPA at almost every pick with the sole exception of a second Edge. He’s gotta keep drafting Edge high until he finds one that can stay healthy enough to be counted upon for consistent quality snaps.

My semi-sleeper pick might be a LOT that they like at 57.