What Lions Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMBUSH

Starter
That's great! I don't begrudge you that at all.

I am a Rams fan. Period. My second favorite team is whoever is playing the 49ers. All I said was my opinion based on my feelings at this point in this FUBAR season. And yes, it was brimming with sarcasm. The Rams stink, again, and I'd rather try to joke about it as much as possible to lighten my mood. Perhaps, somebody else here that shares the same Rams fan mental anguish as I might laugh along. Bottom line? Just tryin' to have some fun...
Oh, i begrudge anyone with a second favorite team ! Seems impossible to me!!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.scout.com/nfl/lions/forums/1801-the-den/14383321-austin-lobbied-for-donald

AUSTIN LOBBIED FOR DONALD

M live story www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/...art_river_index
Darryl Rogers in 1987 ""What does a coach have to do around here to get fired?"

Still rings true today

Lions DC Teryl Austin: I lobbied for Aaron Donald
By Kyle Meinke | kmeinke@mlive.com

ALLEN PARK -- Aaron Donald has been one of the league's top defensive tackles ever since the St. Louis Rams took him with the 13th pick in last year's draft.

The Detroit Lions, sitting at 10th overall, could have had him too.

And Teryl Austin lobbied for him.

"Absolutely," the defensive coordinator said. "Like anything, there's always going to be guys in the draft that you'd love to have, and he's one of those guys. But the way the board shook out where we drafted, hey, that's how it works."

Donald, out of Pitt, was considered the top defensive tackle in that draft class. The Lions had looming needs there, too, with Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley entering contract years. But then-general manager Martin Mayhew, confident a deal with Suh would eventually get done, took Eric Ebron instead.

The North Carolina tight end was actually the Lions' second-highest rated offensive player, behind only Clemson receiver Sammy Watkins.

Austin wouldn't say how much he pushed for Donald in the draft room, but with Ebron falling to the Lions at 10th overall, and then-offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi coveting him badly, Mayhew went for the tight end.

"All we do as coaches is offer our opinion," Austin said. "The scouts have much better knowledge of everybody. They watch more film than we have, and rank players accordingly. They draft off the board, and how they have 'em ranked. And that's how it goes.

"We can lobby for a guy, but the bottom line is if the guy isn't in the right pecking order, then we go another direction."

That direction hasn't worked out so well for the Lions. Ebron showed up immature and ill-prepared for the rigors of playing tight end at this level, and turned in a lackluster rookie season.

He's been better this year, but his role has diminished under new offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter due to prolonged bouts with drops. He has 31 catches for 357 yards and four touchdowns.

Donald, on the other hand, has been a monster. He won defensive rookie of the year in 2014 -- while Ebron was still struggling to grasp his role and the playbook -- and has backed it up with eight sacks this year. That ties Cincinnati's Geno Atkins for most among defensive tackles.

Can't you just imagine what Detroit's defense would look like with Donald anchoring it?

"That's just speculation," Austin said. "You don't know. We don't know. We know what kind of player he's become, but we don't know, so it doesn't make sense to speculate. Hey, we have who we have.

"I love the guys we have. We've been playing with them, and we're going to win with them."

Detroit is 4-8 heading into this week's game against ... Donald and the Rams.

St. Louis has an identical record after losing five straight, but there's no doubt Donald strikes fear into anyone who has to line up across from him. And this week, despite Austin's best efforts, that man is Matthew Stafford.
--------
There's no comparison guys. Eric Ebron has four touchdowns this year and Aaron Donald has zero.
---------
I legitamately think we could have made Super Bowl last year with Aaron Donald and Suh next to each other for one year!
--------
I was pounding table for Donald at a draft party and everyone was like "what do you mean another DT?" Logic was that if Suh was going to sign would have by then (did the whole hire a new agent at beginning of FA just to distract attention from resigning.......and like you said for sure FAIRLEY was not going to be resigned otherwise you would have paid him the bargain rate of 5.5 million."

To me this is the very reason Mayhew was fired.

Think about it this way......with how Donald performed his rookie year how much better would that defence have been with Suh AND arguably someone that played at as high of a level as him that year right next to him! Suh and Donald would have taken the lions deeper into the playoffs in my opinon. Keep in mind we went 11-5 without Fairley the whole second half of last season.

We thought it was Millen drafting all the Wrs before but turns out Mayhew was offensive minded as well.

Knowing what we know Lombardy should have been fired after year one bc he had all the pieces needed and didn't produce year 1.

DEFENCE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!
--------
Every lions fan i know lobbied for Aaron Donald, thank you Teryl Austin for being one of the few people in the organization that seems to have their head on straight.
---------
Man...

I loathe the reaction if Donald sacks Stafford....
And Ebron drops a pass.....
--------
when the 10th pick came up I lobbied for Donald and Ebron and wouldn't have minded OBJ and Cooks.... well, we got one of them... looking back Donald is the obvious better pick but Im still okay with the Ebron pick at the moment but having Donald would be pretty awesome.

I think its quite obvious that Austin would lobby for Donald, afterall he was the best defender on most boards at the time (im assuming) and Austin is a DC. Any DC would lobby for him. But we had Lombardi, stupid as I've seen as an OC, and he lobbied for Ebron and won... Again, don't mind the Ebron pick but Austin over Lombardi 100%
---------
Sometimes Mike Martz tells you to take a player and you get CJ. Others a solid DC wants a guy and he becomes Donald. Lomzombi....well, lets just say, he wasnt that smart apparently.
---------
The Rams and Giants only had $100K to spend, but came away with a Ferrari and McLaren. We handed them the leftover money to do it. And now we get to watch them get all the girls.
--------
http://www.scout.com/nfl/lions/foru...g-no-discussion-about-the-rams-game-seems-odd

HAVING NO DISCUSSION ABOUT THE RAMS GAME SEEMS ODD...

What is your score prediction?

Where is the talk about the players IN this game?

Who is going to give us the hardest time on the Rams?

What players on our side are going to have a good game?

Who is out for this game -on our side?

crazy that there is no talk about this.........
-------
I'll start it - Just lose, baby!
--------
Season's over, that's why

Team just needs to lose out, fire Caldwell, and get on with the GM/HC search
--------
The Rams should be better than they are. On paper that defense has a great looking core. On Offense they need to develop the linemen they have drafted over the years. Also, they are one of many teams still looking for the answer at QB.

They have a seriously formidable D line. Matt better get the ball out fast. We should always have a back ready for the dump off. Run the draw play to counter the pass rush. Run the screen to counter the pass rush. Then make the adjustment at halftime to counter their adjustments. If the game comes down to the last few minuets, figure we lose as Caldwell is not the in the moment coach you need to win the close one's. Not bagging on Caldwell, he is what he is.

Defensively the Lions should see a predictable heavy dose of Gurly. The one guy we need to fear is the little slot receiver/playmaker Tavon Austin. If we don't play him right, he will be one big play after another.

I think the Rams win a close one. They are or should be better than they are and now that Fisher's name keeps popping up as a hot seat candidate, he will be fighting for his job.
--------
It's hard to care about this team right now. It's really hard to care about this game.

Frankly, the minute that hail mary pass connected for a touchdown I stopped caring until Caldwell is gone. This team makes me more ill than excited. Not sure I want to discuss that very much.
--------
giving up on the season !? WHY because we got screwed last week against Green Bay?? MAN ....all offseason all I heard is how you guys CAN'T WAIT for football, and SURE -none of us expected this, but Football is STILL BEING PLAYED...

AND , it's about to end again and go into a Looooong offseason where the game won't be played for several months. And you "give up" ? sounds like a bad joke....

I for one, will be GLUED to the screen watching the LIONS games....maybe a few others...until the 2015 season ends.
--------
I used to be like you. I even thought about getting a tattoo after the 0-16 season.

I'm tired of cheering for a team that is regularly outwitted by a message board though.

I'm still enjoying football on Sundays. I don't miss any of the games thanks to Redzone. F the Lions though. If you want to see a bad joke watch the last 50 years worth of their play. That's the only bad joke around here.

I used to think people that stopped cheering for the Lions because they sucked were bandwagon fans. My mentality on that is changing. I'm starting to think they are simply the ones with a brain.
--------
Donald versus Ebron, round 1.
--------
It really doesn't matter, does it?
We should beat the Rams.
That said, its all up to the refs who wins and who loses.
So, lets talk about who we think they want to win this week.
My guess is, its time to build up the Rams fan base. You know, get them excited about buying merchandise.
--------
stastically speaking this is an interesting and in some cases weird matchup.

defensively both teams are very similar in every category....except 2. they are 12th in scoring defense and we are 28th (ouch) and they are 2nd best in 3rd down defense whereas we are 25th(bigger ouch)

offensively we are 9th in passing and they are 32nd. we are 31st in running the ball and they are 9th. so our 18th ranked run D (better lately) vs their 9th rush game and our 9th passing game vs their 21st ranked pass D.

defensively we are 7th in sacks. they are 9th.

offensively we give up the 9th most QB hits, they are 4th.

we give up the 10th most sacks but they give up the least....best in the nfl.

more than any game this year the lines win or lose this game.

we win in a very ugly game.......16-13

Shoman01

Rookie
im gonna miss jenkins. call me a pessimist but i doubt he wants to stay here with this bullcrap if he finds a high offer elsewhere. I'm sure after last game hes thinking about it even more. unless maybe theres a coaching change...

I don't see any free agents staying here. Too much BS happening, coaching change, relocation?, poor home attendance, and really poor team. Why would anyone want to stay?

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't see any free agents staying here. Too much BS happening, coaching change, relocation?, poor home attendance, and really poor team. Why would anyone want to stay?

We've come a long way in a short period. 5 games ago we were 4-3 and a team on the rise. A team ready to make a divisional run. A team undefeated in a tough division. Now here we are with all the problems of a very bad. All those things you mentioned along with poor talent on one side of the ball. Talent that is so deficient that nothing the defense can do will be good enough to offset the offenses deficiencies.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lions are absolutely reeling from the loss from Hail Mary. 23-17 Rams Win
the Rams have been reeling since halloween. megatron will light up the rams secondary without johnson/jenkins/mcdonald. or quinn. or ogletree. or a QB. or an OC. honestly, i'd like to see the defense just stay out and run a few plays, aaron donald off tackle could be interesting.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
giphy.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2015/...d-phenomenal-player-lions-rams-five-questions

Turf Show Times: Aaron Donald is "a phenomenal player"
By Jeremy Reisman@DetroitOnLion on Dec 11, 2015

GettyImages-497296706.0.jpg

Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images

Our friends over at Turf Show Times talks about Aaron Donald, offensive problems and Lions-Rams predictions.

We sent five questions over to Turf Show Times to check in on the St. Louis Rams and get some insight into what went wrong this year. Their answers are below:

1) With the offensive changes this week (new offensive coordinator,Case Keenum as the starter) what are the expectations for the Rams' offense this week?
There are none. Expectations for any offense died seasons ago. The Rams haven't even been in the top half of NFL offenses by yards gained since 2006.
If I'm being fair though, the Rams aren't built for offense. The team was constructed largely on the back of the defense, so the only real ask of the offense was to avoid turnovers and win field position battles with a forceful running game.

It's no coincidence that the Rams' current five-game losing streak overlaps with rookie RB Todd Gurley's inability to produce behind a very, very unimpressive offensive line. So there's just no reason to anticipate much activity when the Rams have the ball.

2) Todd Gurley is in the running for offensive rookie of the year, what does it take to stop the young phenom?
His own teammates. That's largely what's contributed to his faceplant into the rookie wall since Week 8. In his first four starts, Gurley was averaging 22 carries, 141.5 yards and just under a touchdown per game. Since then amid the current five-game losing streak, it's 15.8/52/0.6. And it's trending downward. In the Rams' last two pitiful performances, those numbers are down to 9/30/0... Teams are just loading up against the Rams' running game, and why not? It's not like the Rams' league-worst passing attack forces defenses to assign much capital to defend.

So like most any running game in the NFL, it's not only about the running back. It's about the offensive line and the larger offensive context. Right now, both of those are so pitiful it doesn't really matter how individually talented Todd Gurley is.

3) At Pride of Detroit, we obsess over passing on Aaron Donald in the draft. Can you say something bad about him to ease the pain?
He's stuck on the Rams? He's a phenomenal player, no doubt about it. And while I doubt Rams fans would entertain but few offers to part with Donald, I can guarantee nearly all would be comfortable plugging in Eric Ebron at tight end over Jared Cook.

So maybe that's where you can draw some comfort. We've got jealousies of our own.

4) What specifically has gone wrong since the 4-3 start that has caused the Rams' five-game losing streak?
The offense has just been unable to adjust to teams loading up on the run. And as those yards plummeted, the Rams' inability to move the ball (and the overwhelming disparity between how much their defense and offense is playing) has just castrated the entire team.

Going off of the offense's snaps per game, the defense has played two more games worth of football than the offense. They're looking tired and understandably so. It takes some kind of offense to win games, and the Rams just aren't getting any.

5) What's your prediction for Lions-Rams?
Well my worry is that we're going to see a repeat of the Rams' 13-16 loss to the Ravens three weeks ago in what was the worst football game I've seen all season. But who knows. Maybe this is a chance for one of us to play against type. I'd certainly prefer that than what we've been privy to the last month...
---------
Finally
A fan base that sounds as disappointed and dejected as our own. The collective frustration and disgust that may rear its head from each team’s fan base this game may create a tear in the space time continuum.

If it does, maybe, briefly, we’ll catch a glimpse of a parallel dimension where the Lions are good.
-------
We haven't had a winning season since 2003
It’s not just 2015.
--------
Fan base frustration is directly correlated with record
The Rams and us are both 4 win teams, so both fan bases are equally miserable and frustrated.

This applies across the NFL, except for Browns fans of course. They have like 2 wins and they’re all giddy they’ll have a high pick and win the SB next year this time for sure.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's great! I don't begrudge you that at all.

I am a Rams fan. Period. My second favorite team is whoever is playing the 49ers. All I said was my opinion based on my feelings at this point in this FUBAR season. And yes, it was brimming with sarcasm. The Rams stink, again, and I'd rather try to joke about it as much as possible to lighten my mood. Perhaps, somebody else here that shares the same Rams fan mental anguish as I might laugh along. Bottom line? Just tryin' to have some fun...
I hear you! I try not to be a downer and at the same time I have a broken heart with the fact the wheels flew off the bus again. We were front runners on paper to make the playoffs with all the talent we have. So, I appreciate the board members who lighten the mood as if I took it too serious, I would be one of those crazy Philly fans with no life.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
I hear you! I try not to be a downer and at the same time I have a broken heart with the fact the wheels flew off the bus again. We were front runners on paper to make the playoffs with all the talent we have.

Man, I am right there with you. Us old guys have bled for this team for many years.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Oh, i begrudge anyone with a second favorite team ! Seems impossible to me!!!
Well, you're entitled to your opinion. I don't begrudge you for begrudging me. I find it quite possible, and enjoyable, to root for any team to beat the crap out of the Whiners! It's only for a few hours then I can go right back to despising that team. It seems impossible to me that a Rams fan doesn't share the same disdain for the Whiners as I. :thinking:

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I hear you! I try not to be a downer and at the same time I have a broken heart with the fact the wheels flew off the bus again. We were front runners on paper to make the playoffs with all the talent we have. So, I appreciate the board members who lighten the mood as if I took it too serious, I would be one of those crazy Philly fans with no life.
Amen brother! Amen...I, personally, refuse to be miserable. I'm working my @$$ off to make the best of every situation. If I couldn't find ways to lighten up every day, I too would become a Philly fan! For more than the three hours when they play the Whiners!:headexplosion:;)

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
im gonna miss jenkins. call me a pessimist but i doubt he wants to stay here with this bullcrap if he finds a high offer elsewhere. I'm sure after last game hes thinking about it even more. unless maybe theres a coaching change...
Jenkins stays if the team move! Goes if they don't! JMO!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It seems impossible to me that a Rams fan doesn't share the same disdain for the Whiners as I. :thinking:

Unlike you and I, who grew up in the same house with a dad who was a 49ers fan, and lived in the SF Bay area with all those rotten 49ers fans all around us, most of the members here didn't develop that same distaste for that franchise.

For me, the Patriots are inching ever closer to the 49ers as being my most loathed team.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Unlike you and I, who grew up in the same house with a dad who was a 49ers fan, and lived in the SF Bay area with all those rotten 49ers fans all around us, most of the members here didn't develop that same distaste for that franchise.

For me, the Patriots are inching ever closer to the 49ers as being my most loathed team.
The Whiners are our (Rams) arch rival. The Lex Luthor(sp?) to our Superman. The Seahawks and Cardinals are 2a & 2b. Yeah, the Cheatriots would have to slot in right behind the division rivals for me.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well Donald didn't get 5 sack like they feared....just 3..lol