What if?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
If it's 2000 level GSOT offense, yes. Problem is our defense while good isn't GSOT level dominant. Sunday if our offense would have limited mistakes we win. The 4 interceptions were horrible, the line can't block stunts, receivers run bad routes and drop passes. We just need an average offense that plays solid and limits mistakes. In our 3 losses our offense was horrible. In the Seattle win the offense was very good and they were solid against Arizona.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
I like our approach and wouldn't revert. Fact of the matter is the offense has the tools to be really good, but it hasn't come together yet. I'm expecting a nice turn in production over the second half of the season much like our D in the second half last year.

FrankenRam

Starter
For me personally Id rather have a top 5 offense, you can always try to out slug the opponent but if your offense cant score points you cant win. The league is geared towards offense too, give me points!

I much prefer watching a good offense than a good defense. But there's a limit. I find a 52-45 game as boring as a 12-6 game. In the case of the first, it's pretty much a question of who has the ball last is the team that will win. In the latter, it's simply a matter of who scores....at all.

Overall, I suspect a team could have a top 5 Offense and a top 15 Defense and probably have a good chance of at least making the playoffs. Same is probably true of a top 5 O and top 15 D.

I don't believe a top 5 D with a bottom tier O is likely to do much of anything. And likely the same is true in reverse.

But as much as I like watching a good O, if I was a Coach/GM, I'd opt to build the D first. Why......

Because an offense has one job...score points. By contrast, while a Defense's primary job is to prevent the opposition from scoring points, it can score points as well. It can supplement whatever the O is able to provide.

So, as much as it goes against my personal preferences for enjoyment, I'd always opt for the top 5 D with a top 15 O as the preferred formula for building a winning program if I were a Coach/GM.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A good offense is very entertaining to watch.

But, I like our model. In baseball, elite pitching wins in the playoffs. In the NFL; it's elite defense that wins in the playoffs. (Blah blah there are outliers to this, I know)

The problem for us is; Fisher hasn't got the O into the top 16. Which, is necessary for the defense-first approach to deliver.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
How many superbowls/playoff wins did Mannings Colts have I think nuff said

RamzFanz

Damnit
Do you think the Rams would be better off if our offense and defense switched talent levels? If our offense was as good as our defense is currently, and our D was as good as our offense is currently?

I'm not sure the Rams O isn't already nearly as talented as the D. Translating that into a game where Foles isn't the second most hit QB in the NFL with the most throwaways may take this line too long to get it together. But the talent is there. Look how long it took Quinn and Ogletree.

And then properly using the talent is up to the coaches. If Cook keeps getting more looks than TA, they may never show their potential.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Let's see... the top 10 teams by offensive points per game are:

Arizona (4-1)
New England (4-0)
Atlanta (5-0)
Cincinnati (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Total record: 35-12

The top 10 teams by defensive points allowed per game are:

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Arizona (4-1)
Minnesota (2-2)
New England (4-0)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)
Cincinnati (5-0)

Total record: 39-9

Seems like defense is winning so far this year. Let's look at teams that are top-10 D but not O:

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Minnesota (2-2)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)

Total record: 15-8

Then teams that are top-10 O but not D:

Atlanta (5-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Total record: 13-11

Obviously balance is the key, but if you're gonna be one and not the other, it seems that defense - so far this season - is the way to go. By a moderate margin, at least.
You really are an Evil Genius Time Traveler.
thank you.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
These days you need offense but could you imagine if our D was 10yrs ago when cbs could mug the receivers down the field coupled with our pass rush? Or a pass in the air over the middle that a reciever almost gets a hand on and they get murdered by our safties. That would be fun to watch and a SB would be in our horizon

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
So would some of these players on offense be able to catch a ball by any chance...? :shocked:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With Greg Williams as your DC? Absolutely. A resounding yes to the OP's question.

The NFL has changed a great deal. Some things still apply like keeping teams out of the endzone, being physical, runnin the ball helping everyone on offense, etc. But scoring points is king. Rams don't score enough and it's why they're 2-3 instead of 4-1 or maybe even 5-0. Give GW an average defense and pair it with a great offense and you'd have the recent Saints' super bowl winning team.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure the Rams O isn't already nearly as talented as the D. Translating that into a game where Foles isn't the second most hit QB in the NFL with the most throwaways may take this line too long to get it together. But the talent is there. Look how long it took Quinn and Ogletree.

And then properly using the talent is up to the coaches. If Cook keeps getting more looks than TA, they may never show their potential.
I agree our offense is close to being respectable however dissagree strongly they are anywhere near our D.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Yes, as the rules are now skewed towards the offense. If your D could still mug receivers at the LOS and blast them running crossing routes there would be less scoring. OL can hold inside the pads all day long and not get called, but if a DL brushes a QB head, it is a roughing the passer call.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Not really, no... Arizona scored 40+ points in three games, 30+ in another one. The only game they were held under 30 was against us. Green Bay scored 31, 27 and 38 points, 17 against SF and 24 against us. The Seahawks, Redskins and Steelers are non-top-10 offenses.

On the other side, we scored the most points of all Arizona opponents so far this year with 24. We're also the only team to crack 30 against the Seahawks. We probably did put the Steelers in the top 10, as they've given up 18 or more to everyone else, and Green Bay did better-than-usual against us.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Having an elite QB/offense every year hasn't helped win championships for Green Bay, unless you go back to 2010 when...hey guess what? They finished 10th in ppg and 2nd in points allowed. < Championship

Since then they've gotten bounced by superior defenses like the Giants, 49ers(twice) and Seahawks. But hey scoring a ton of points is fun to watch right? That offensive identity worked out real good for Denver two years ago too didn't it? :)

A team with an elite defense is almost never out of a game even on a bad day. That's the beauty of it. Pitching in baseball, goalie play in hockey, that really stingy team in basketball that won't allow easy shots and controls the boards, that football team that you can't run on and disrupts everything.
It's not cliche.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Compiled this post about 18 months ago.

Super Bowl 1. Green Bay O/4th D/1st
vs KC Chiefs O/1st D/2nd

Super Bowl 2. Green Bay O/9th D/3rd
vs Oakland O/1st D/2nd

Super Bowl 3. NY Jets O/2nd D/4th
vs Baltimore O/2nd D/1st

Super Bowl 4. KC Chiefs O/2nd D/1st
vs Minnesota O/1st D/1st

Super Bowl 5. Baltimore O/6th D/7th
vs Dallas O/10th D/4th

Super Bowl 6. Dallas O/1st D/7th
vs Miami O/4th D/3rd

Super Bowl 7. Miami O/1st D/1st
vs Washington O/7th D/3rd

Super Bowl 8. Miami O/5th D/1st
vs Minnesota O/9th D/2nd

Super Bowl 9. Pittsburgh O/6th D/2nd
vs Minnesota O/5th D/3rd

Super Bowl 10. Pittsburgh O/5th D/2nd
vs Dallas O/8th D/9th

Super Bowl 11. Oakland O/4th D/12th
vs Minnesota O/9th D/2nd

Super Bowl 12. Dallas O/2nd D/8th
vs Denver O/10th D/3rd

Super Bowl 13. Pittsburgh O/5th D/1st
vs Dallas O/1st D/3rd

Super Bowl 14. Pittsburgh O/1st D/5th
vs LA Rams O/15th D/11th

Super Bowl 15. Oakland O/7th D/10th
vs Philadelphia O/6th D/1st

Super Bowl 16. San Francisco O/7th D/2nd
vs Cincinnati O/3rd D/12th

Super Bowl 17. Washington O/12th D/1st
vs Miami O/10th D/2nd

Super Bowl 18. LA Raiders O/3rd D/13th
vs Washington O/1st D/11th

Super Bowl 19. San Francisco O/2nd D/1st
vs Miami O/1st D/7th

Super Bowl 20. Chicago O/2nd D/1st
vs New England O/10th D/6th

Super Bowl 21. NY Giants O/8th D/2nd
vs Denver O/6th D/15th

Super Bowl 22. Washington O/4th D/6th
vs Denver O/4th D/7th

Super Bowl 23. San Francisco O/7th D/8th
vs Cincinnati O/1st D/16th

Super Bowl 24. San Francisco O/1st D/3rd
vs Denver O/8th D/1st

Super Bowl 25. NY Giants O/15th D/1st
vs Buffalo O/1st D/6th

Super Bowl 26. Washington O/1st D/2nd
vs Buffalo O/2nd D/19th

Super Bowl 27. Dallas O/2nd D/5th
vs Buffalo O/3rd D/14th

Super Bowl 28. Dallas O/2nd D/2nd
vs Buffalo O/7th D/5th

Super Bowl 29. San Francisco O/1st D/6th
vs S.D. Chargers O/5th D/9th

Super Bowl 30. Dallas O/3rd D/3rd
vs Pittsburgh O/5th D/9th

Super Bowl 31. Green Bay O/1st D/1st
vs New England O/2nd D/14th

Super Bowl 32. Denver O/1st D/6th
vs Green Bay O/2nd D/5th

Super Bowl 33. Denver O/2nd D/8th
vs Atlanta O/4th D/4th

Super Bowl 34. St Louis O/1st D/4th
vs Tennessee O/7th D/15th

Super Bowl 35. Baltimore O/14th D/1st
vs NY Giants O/15th D/5th

Super Bowl 36. New England O/6th D/6th fuck you Belichek fuck you politics fuck you NFL
vs St Louis O/1st D/7th

Super Bowl 37. Tampa Bay O/18th D/1st
vs Oakland O/2nd D/6th

Super Bowl 38. New England O/12th D/1st
vs Carolina O/15th D/10th

Super Bowl 39. New England O/4th D/2nd
vs Philadelphia O/8th D/2nd

Super Bowl 40. Pittsburgh O/9th D/3rd
vs Seattle O/1st D/7th

Super Bowl 41. Indianapolis O/2nd D/23rd
vs Chicago O/2nd D/3rd

Super Bowl 42. NY Giants O/14th D/17th
vs New England O/1st D/4th HA HA 18-1 FUCK YOU

Super Bowl 43: Pittsburgh O/20th D/1st
vs Arizona O/3rd D/28th

Super Bowl 44: New Orleans O/1st D/20th
vs Indianapolis O/7th D/8th

Super Bowl 45: Green Bay O/10th D/2nd
vs Pittsburgh O/12th D/1st

Super Bowl 46: NY Giants O/9th D/25th
vs New England O/3rd D/15th

Super Bowl 47: Baltimore O/10th D/12th
vs San Francisco O/11th D/2nd

Super Bowl 48: Seattle O/8th D/1st
vs Denver O/1st D/22nd

Updated last years SB
Super Bowl 49: New England O/4th D/8th
vs Seattle O/10th D/1st

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Assuming we would have a elite O because we have an elite QB (can anyone think of a recent elite O without an elite QB) I would tend to go that route...they seem to have greater longevity than elite Defenses. There are exceptions the GSOT had a short run (but it was as long as the Ravens elite D run). It seems like most elite O's last 5+ years (probably because the QB lasts that long), while elite D's seem to have a short shelf life....for some reason.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I agree our offense is close to being respectable however dissagree strongly they are anywhere near our D.

We'll see. If that line ever comes together and Fisher remembers he drafted a guy named Tavon, the Rams could have a monster O.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
We'll see. If that line ever comes together and Fisher remembers he drafted a guy named Tavon, the Rams could have a monster O.
Last I checked tavon has been used quite a bit this year. Oh and just because the ball doesn't always fly his way doesn't mean he's not a big part of the play(distraction) and such