What if?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think the Rams would be better off if our offense and defense switched talent levels? If our offense was as good as our defense is currently, and our D was as good as our offense is currently?

Stel

Starter
No.

Even with the GSOT offense at its best we would have trouble winning if we had the worst defense in the league.

Irish

Starter
I think it is easier to win in the NFL with an elite offense and a pedestrian defense than vice versa, mostly because offense is so hard to play now a days.

Defense is simple. Just draft a bunch of pass rushers and take advantage of the pitiful offensive lines that exist nowadays, a 400 pound defensive lineman with a nickname like pot roast, and a corner who wasn't quite good enough to play WR, but is still built like one to take advantage of the deluge of bad quarterbacks in the league making bad passes under duress.

I know I am downplaying it, but I really don't think it has ever been easier to play defense in the NFL than it is now, because offensive talent as a whole is so darn bad.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Y'know, I think it might be... an offense that runs up the score can make defenses' lives easier by keeping them off the field and by making the opposing offense one-dimensional. If you get a quick (big) lead, then suddenly your DL and LBs can pin their ears back and come after the QB, because the opponents start taking the run out of their mix.

On the other hand, a great offense scoring points and then the D immediately spitting up points to the opposition is probably more demoralizing than a great D making a huge 3-and-out and then the O doing the same.

Can't we have both?

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Let's see... the top 10 teams by offensive points per game are:

Arizona (4-1)
New England (4-0)
Atlanta (5-0)
Cincinnati (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Total record: 35-12

The top 10 teams by defensive points allowed per game are:

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Arizona (4-1)
Minnesota (2-2)
New England (4-0)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)
Cincinnati (5-0)

Total record: 39-9

Seems like defense is winning so far this year. Let's look at teams that are top-10 D but not O:

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Minnesota (2-2)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)

Total record: 15-8

Then teams that are top-10 O but not D:

Atlanta (5-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Total record: 13-11

Obviously balance is the key, but if you're gonna be one and not the other, it seems that defense - so far this season - is the way to go. By a moderate margin, at least.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Arizona (4-1)
New England (4-0)
Atlanta (5-0)
Cincinnati (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Arizona (4-1)
Minnesota (2-2)
New England (4-0)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)
Cincinnati (5-0)

Seems like defense is winning so far this year. Let's look at teams that are top-10 D but not O:

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Minnesota (2-2)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)

Atlanta (5-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Obviously balance is the key, but if you're gonna be one and not the other, it seems that defense - so far this season - is the way to go. By a moderate margin, at least.
Nice analysis!

The old adage... "Defense Wins Championships" was supplanted by ESPN with "It's A Passing League" and "It's A QB-driven League".

I dunno... I'm older, so the first one feels better to me? (And I HATE ESPN :LOL:).

I agree... it's more about balance today... too much one way or the other and you're not going to make the playoffs. It's too easy for an opponent to shut down half a team than to shut down an entire team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Do you think the Rams would be better off if our offense and defense switched talent levels?
@DCH basically laid it out right there....

I would actually have liked to see better second round picks....hindsight being....If pead & givens had been linemen...we'd be set....

I still like the way the team is composed...Snead knows his shit...seriously...the offense (Foles/Cig) just need the same amount of time that Williams and his defense was allowed last year....I'd like the defense to play a lil better too, but I can't complain...

MrMotes

Starter
It's not talent. It's coaching. We're much better coached on the defensive side of the ball.

And if defense does win championships, well then, we're sitting pretty...

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
The Rams are 2-3 with the WORST O in the league. The play of the offense makes the D looks worse. If we were to have the worst D in the league no way would we be 2-3 or be in every game like the Rams have been. I am a fan of defensive football and think if your team is imbalanced you will always have a tough go of it. I think our O is about to get much better with Gurley playing now. Think about if our O didn't have all of those turnover in GB, we would have beaten the best team in football! GB on the other hand is a pretty balance team with a great offense and defense. I think it is a testament to how good the Rams D is that they kept GB in check pretty much that whole game.

This is the most excited I have been about football, as a die hard Rams fan, in over 10 years and we have a losing record! This teams outlook is definitely on the upswing and the days of guessing how bad we would get beaten on Sundays might be coming to an end. Say what you want about Fisher/Snead but he has taken a roster with very little talent and has built a great base with a ton of talent. We just need the players experience to catch up to the talent on this team and we will be off to the races. This is a great time to be a Rams fan!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arizona (4-1)
New England (4-0)
Atlanta (5-0)
Cincinnati (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Arizona (4-1)
Minnesota (2-2)
New England (4-0)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)
Cincinnati (5-0)

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Minnesota (2-2)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)

Atlanta (5-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Very good analysis...some of those teams obviously skew the stats because they appear on both lists but still interesting to see. And even teams like Pitt have seriously dynamic offensive weapons.

I however feel that if we had one of the most dynamic Offenses in the league (as dynamic as our D is) it would help our D way more than our D helps our offense. Scoring quick can make teams one dimensional and allow an even pedestrian defense to pin their ears back and rush the passer. An elite defense really does nothing to help the offense, obviously keeps the game close and winnable and potentially gives you good field position but still if the offense sucks it sucks.

I think its easier to score early and often, make a team one dimensional and get a key stop by your D or mistake by the opposing teams offense than it is to consistently get stops and hope your offense scores. My thinking is that no matter how good a defense is, good offenses will eventually find a way to score especially with the way rules in the nfl favor the offense. If your offense is gonna be elite its basically setting the tone and saying keep up if you can. Knowing the opposing offense is going to put up points puts pressure on the entire other team. The opposing offense will have to take bigger risks to make plays thus leaving them more susceptible to mistakes.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
For me personally Id rather have a top 5 offense, you can always try to out slug the opponent but if your offense cant score points you cant win. The league is geared towards offense too, give me points!

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For me personally Id rather have a top 5 offense, you can always try to out slug the opponent but if your offense cant score points you cant win. The league is geared towards offense too, give me points!
Pretty much my sentiment exactly

Memphis Ram

Legend
Do you think the Rams would be better off if our offense and defense switched talent levels? If our offense was as good as our defense is currently, and our D was as good as our offense is currently?

IMO, most everything hinges on how talented the guy playing QB will be in one's view.

Aaron Donald good?
Alec Ogletree good?
Rodney McCleod good?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And if you can't get stops, you won't get the win.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman

Arizona (4-1)
New England (4-0)
Atlanta (5-0)
Cincinnati (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Green Bay (5-0)
Carolina (4-0)
Arizona (4-1)
Minnesota (2-2)
New England (4-0)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)
Cincinnati (5-0)

Jets (3-1)
Denver (5-0)
Minnesota (2-2)
Pittsburgh (3-2)
Seattle (2-3)

Atlanta (5-0)
Giants (3-2)
Tennessee (1-3)
Buffalo (3-2)
Baltimore (1-4)

Nice analysis, pretty compelling. I think that your point might become more-so true in the playoffs when
  1. The refs are more apt to let 'em play
  2. The weather becomes more of a factor

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I'd say no, look at the GSOT years, as great as that offense was we don't beat the Bucs without a great defense and in the Superbowl we lost, take away the pick six and we win a tough defensive battle, even with the cheating and officiating in that game. It's hard to imagine having a better offense than that team. The bottom line is you can't win being really good on one side and really bad on the other. Offense might be more entertaining but it's every bit as frustrating if your defense sucks.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Your defense needs to make stops in the 4th Q, and your offense needs to be able to score, hold the ball, or have the ability to come back, in the 4th Q.

Balance is key though, and being able to change your game plan, when it isn't working.

We like football, me, because it's a very complicated, fluid, game.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
In a heart beat, I love our defense, but I'm starting to believe the days where teams like the 2000 Ravens can thrive has left for good. This league is geared for offense and your defense can only do so much. 2000 Ravens succeeded by capitalizing on O mistakes, but offenses have been minimizing their mistakes in general so pick sixes and fumble returns and all that stuff just don't happen with the same volume anymore.

With the possibility of scoring defensively being low, the onus is almost entirely on your offense, and if they're pedestrian then you won't be able to do anything.

But as the Packers have been showing us just until this season having an elite offense will carry a pathetic D pretty far.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Count me in for offense. The key to any long term success is balance of course, but the ability to score, the ability to quick strike in a comeback situation cannot be overstated IMO. I think it's easier to build an effective defense than an effective offense. If I'm a new hire HC I'd much rather start with an effective offense.