What did you think about the Oline?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

I thought the interior played well, was disappointed with GRob's play

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
GROB is still young and learning, but needs to put more time in the classroom...Tim Barnes stood out to me was downfield quite often and I thought did a great job making the line calls and he held up very well at the point of attack.

Barnes really struggled against the Seahawks back in 2013, but Brandon Mebane was not heard off that often whereas in 2013, he crushed Barnes....Great job by Barnes and I look forward to not worrying about the center position from here on in!

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
The Skins 3-4 gave the Phins front 7 all they wanted and MORE. The phins have a hell of a front 4 and the skins rushed for almost 250 yards so please lets not remember last seasons skins game and respect who we play this week and realize this skins OL is almost all 6-8 year vets besides the top OL drafted at pick #5 Scherff who will meet Mr. Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers this week.

How will our young OL do facing a tough 3-4 defense that can really confuse you? Its much harder than a 4-3 with what they can do and change of responsibilities. G. Rob. will need to have his head out of his arse and hopefully some help outside. NO INJURIES!!!

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I've rewatched all the offensive snaps. Not sure what it is but I enjoy watching and rewatching o line play.

Barnes was very solid. I was expecting him to just be ok this season but if he carries on like that, he'll be more than that. His run blocking especially was good.

Saffold was Saffold. Solid, dependable, excellent run blocker. Nothing we didn't know already.

Havenstein will be a beast in the run game but gets beat easily by speed rushers. Again we already knew this and he can work on that.

Brown didn't do much wrong at all. Worked well with Barnes when double teaming the likes of Mebane and held up in pass pro. He's going to be really good for us. He just seems to get it.

Robinson. Oh Robinson! Not going to write everything I saw because we won and I really don't feel like being negative right now but this guy needs to get his head down and work hard.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jamon had a false start too.
flipping Okung had at least 4 false starts that i saw. honestly, i think its because the Rams front four is so fast, they're watching their offsides rather than the offense.
as for Havenstein, he is getting be by speed, but he's also learning to steer them past Foles. i saw 2 or 3 examples when he did this. for the lack of experience on that line, i was somewhat happy with the results................except for whomever forgot to pickup cary williams. i thought that the Rams were doomed with that play, but they showed more heart than i've seen in a long time from a Rams team.

TexasRam

Legend
I will withhold opinion until I review the game field play by play in slow mo, analyzing each player including the TE and RB blocking and Foles role in getting the ball out.

Initial impression while watching the game was the interior was real solid and the Tackles especially Grob struggled mightily but fought hard and were aided by Foles.

More to come ....

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
flipping Okung had at least 4 false starts that i saw. honestly, i think its because the Rams front four is so fast, they're watching their offsides rather than the offense.
as for Havenstein, he is getting be by speed, but he's also learning to steer them past Foles. i saw 2 or 3 examples when he did this. for the lack of experience on that line, i was somewhat happy with the results................except for whomever forgot to pickup cary williams. i thought that the Rams were doomed with that play, but they showed more heart than i've seen in a long time from a Rams team.

I said I wouldn't say anything about Robinson but I can't help myself. The Cary Williams play was on him I think.

If you watch it, Robinson gets beat too easily by Bennett and Harkey is then left with having to choose to block Bennett or Williams. He chooses Bennett and we know what happened next.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They weren't terrible and that's definitely a good start. Need to do more in the running game and Robinson needs to improve.

Also, can we sit down anyone that plays Center and figure out a way to make sure they stop botching snaps? That's getting seriously old.

V3

Hall of Fame
Four out of the five played about what I expected or better. I was rather pleased with them. GRob still looks horrible though. He gets pushed around, loses balance easily, and could EASILY be flagged for multiple holds or illegal blocks. I have no idea what happened to his strength but he looks outmatched in that department. Foles saved his ass so many times.

LumberTubs

Name
Phil
Four out of the five played about what I expected or better. I was rather pleased with them. GRob still looks horrible though. He gets pushed around, loses balance easily, and could EASILY be flagged for multiple holds or illegal blocks. I have no idea what happened to his strength but he looks outmatched in that department. Foles saved his ass so many times.

The thing that concerns me most about Robinson is that he doesn't play like the athlete he's supposed to be. On one or two occasions he recovered well and got to his man which is key because even the most athletic lineman is never going to be as athletic as a defensive end. The ability to recover and cancel out the D end's initial advantage is huge.

But more often he wouldn't show that athleticism. It's really frustrating to watch.

Foles does a really good job of making his o line look better than it is. I have faith in the other four guys to reciprocate and make Foles' life easier once they've gelled more but GRob scares me.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Bonifay kinda touched on this with his kind remark about Cigs. But I just want to expand a bit on that.

Cigs has brought real play action and screens back to our O, among other things. I mean, damned effective ones.

These help our OL no end because it slows the rush and gives the opposing front 7 much more to worry about. For example, MFranke's review commented on how confused Wagner seemed all game long. Our O is much more unpredictable now.

And I agree with those that commented that the play of Foles, Cunningham, Cook, Austin, Kendricks, and Bailey certainly helped our young OL. A synergy thing, kinda.

I haven't re watched the game yet. I may have a few different thoughts after doing so. But right now I would have to say that my impression of our weakest link on OL would be GRob. He had a BAD 1st quarter. There, I said it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Bonifay kinda touched on this with his kind remark about Cigs. But I just want to expand a bit on that.

Cigs has brought real play action and screens back to our O, among other things. I mean, damned effective ones.

These help our OL no end because it slows the rush and gives the opposing front 7 much more to worry about. For example, MFranke's review commented on how confused Wagner seemed all game long. Our O is much more unpredictable now.

And I agree with those that commented that the play of Foles, Cunningham, Cook, Austin, Kendricks, and Bailey certainly helped our young OL. A synergy thing, kinda.

I haven't re watched the game yet. I may have a few different thoughts after doing so. But right now I would have to say that my impression of our weakest link on OL would be GRob. He had a BAD 1st quarter. There, I said it.

Yes & yes! It was an issue in the past where our OL was weak & our previous OC's game plans made the OL even weaker. I know its very early in the season but I feel Frank Cignetti has shown that he will bring all hands on deck in order to help & assist this very young OL & insure it gets what it needs from him.

I am not sure if GR gets it yet.:huh:..It may be that he needs to get benched in order to get his attention!:coach: I know that Saffold would hate it but between Garrett Reynolds, Cody Wichmann & Demetrius Rhaney they will easily handle the ORG post for a period of time to get GR going in the right direction. For right now GR has regressed:palm:! The last thing we need is for Foles to get bruised & bang ed up:eek:!

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Barnes played really well. So did both guards, I thought. Robinson had hiccups, but by the end seemed to be holding his own nicely. Didn't hear Havenstein's name called once, so that's good.

All in all, very promising against last year's #1 defense.

fearsomefour

Legend
I was pleasantly surprised. I expected about 60 minutes of that first series. The play calling helped for sure. Sticking with a good run/pass mix is important as well, even if the runs are not burning up yards.
The most important stat of the day is 4....4 penalties. The Seahawks had 7. I can't remember the last time the Rams had fewer penalties in a game. This is with several big misses on flags vs Seattle....the PI with Sherman and several holds vs. Quinn.
Saffold had a false start on the second or third play on offense. After that 3 penalties??!! If this can continue in particular with a young line the Rams have a good shot to win plenty of games.
Even the hold on Robinson (in fairness he could have been called more than once) was not a terrible penalty to me. He was beaten and the rusher had a clear path to Foles, take the flag and keep your QB upright.
The lack of penalties in key moments impressed me as much as anything.

fearsomefour

Legend
Yes & yes! It was an issue in the past where our OL was weak & our previous OC's game plans made the OL even weaker. I know its very early in the season but I feel Frank Cignetti has shown that he will bring all hands on deck in order to help & assist this very young OL & insure it gets what it needs from him.

I am not sure if GR gets it yet.:huh:..It may be that he needs to get benched in order to get his attention!:coach: I know that Saffold would hate it but between Garrett Reynolds, Cody Wichmann & Demetrius Rhaney they will easily handle the ORG post for a period of time to get GR going in the right direction. For right now GR has regressed:palm:! The last thing we need is for Foles to get bruised & bang ed up:eek:!
Watching the game last night you could see Bridgewater being protected....the swing passes to the RBs. The problem is they were so obvious they never did anything with them. The play calling and play design mean a ton.

Psycho_X

Legend
Adequate. Should get better.

Saffold penalty was annoying being he's the most veteran on the team.

Barnes pleasantly surprised me so far all though I'm annoyed at Fisher taking so long to name the starter. Certainly didn't help when there was a communication problem and Barnes snapped the ball too early. Luckily that didn't result in a huge game changer.

Grob still has a long ways to go in pass protection technique but his pure physical abilities gets the job done for most of the game even when he is beat. But we knew that was going to take years coming out of Auburns offense.

Brown and Havenstein didn't get the QB killed against an elite front 7 so that's a huge plus for first game starters in the NFL.

Overall, given the opponent and inexperience of all 5 starters together in their current positions I give it a "B" performance.

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I was very pleasantly surprised after the first two series and think once we have a better running game (Gurley/Mason) it will get much better. This has the makings to be like the Dallas O-line where they went out and got young quality players that meshed together well. I think Grob gets a lot of grief due to his draft status but he also plays against the best pass rushers so he just needs more time. Hopefully by mid-season this line will mesh and make the Rams a playoff contender not just a vogue pick by the pundits.

This year really does look like the Chinese Zodiac is right.... The Year of the Ram(s)!

TexasRam

Legend
I spent all last night reviewing every Oline snap for each player on the Oline. Not going to write a novel but here is what is clear:

Barnes - excellent game. He is technically solid. Did a great job with nearly every assignment and did some real good blocking in the run game. Got better push than anticipated. I'll eat crow thinking jones was better for now.

Saffold - probowl play. Strong push great pass blocking.

Reynolds - awesome job when in. He is starting material

Brown- solid job. Not huge push in run game but solid play for rookie. Really good game.

Havenstein- great job pushing the edge rusher to the top of the pocket and not letting him run by him like preseason. Hav's struggled early possessions them came back strong. The entire game. He is a
Wall in the run game and gets nice push. Good cut blocking to.

Robinson - having major issues the majority of the game until the final few possessions at the end where he really started shining. He is having problems engaging blockers with his hands, needs to slow his game down. Looks like his weight loss is hurting him!! Not a lot of strength many plays and moving too quick forcing him off balance to be run around. He is still holding players a lot and should have been called about 5 times easy.

Cook - sometimes gives no effort in blocking but when he does he engages great with his hands.

Kendrick's- excellent blocking!

Foles great awareness and quick release was huge! The play calling with the screens really helped keep the defense from pinning it's ears back which was huge in this game.