What did you think about the Oline?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I have not gone back to check with any detail but all in all I thought they we acceptable. Not great not terrible but good enough to keep the chains moving without too many penalties or major screw ups.

GRob still has a lot of growing to do but did pretty well against what the experts consider one of the better Dlines. I don't think there was a whole lot of pressure most of the game. I did think there were several plays that Foles took WAY to long to get rid of the ball but the results were there.

If they can grow from this game moving forward and stay healthy these guys can get it done.

Av8R

UDFA
I was really surprised how they played. Obviously there is work to do but overall was pleased with what I saw. And let's be honest, any game Saffold can make it all game without injury is a good game.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
They're definitely, young and raw and easily exploited. That much is evident. What impresses me is that their worst so far still doesn't look even a fraction as bad as the worst of the worst we knew even last year. That's promising.

They still look solid even through their growing pains.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Foles standing tall and delivering the ball right before getting hit helped. If we had a guy holding onto the ball too long then we have a much different outlook on their performance.

fearsomefour

Legend
The first possession was a disaster....damn lucky didn't get a safety.
After that, they played better than I expected. A few breakdowns but the team was able to get some running game going. Cunningham played better than I expected as well.
I really liked what I saw overall....as the season progresses and the young guys get more seasoning and come together as a unit....well, I expect very good things.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Overall, I liked it. Problems initially, but they settled down and were solid enough - and given their inexperience that is huge.

I expect them to keep on improving. If the Rams can win their first few games despite the inexperience, the league may be in trouble.

About freakin' time.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
For first game, not bad. Bent but didn't break. I saw a few missed assignments especially on the edge. Gotta remember, our boy GRob is a young buck but damn did he have some bad plays. Expecting big things from him hopefully he settles in. Saffold came out injury always a plus and Barnes, along with Brown, played well.

Great job team!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some individual breakdowns here and there. Jamon got beat once early, Saw GRob get beat a few times. Havenstein. But overall they played well. Every young OL is going to make a few mistakes.

What helped them out a bit is Foles didn't crumble under pressure. Cunningham has a nose for the goal line, or more accurately the 1st down marker. He has an awareness for where he needs to be and really works to get there. Receivers were open.......like wide open at times. They couldn't just load up on the line and rush right at the QB like they did much of last season. It was a good team effort. I'll take more like that.

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
When we can win a game vs a team like Sea while our oline is still working their kinks out it's very promising.And I'm sure they will have a game where they look awful but hopefully that's a game our D wins for us.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Given how well the Rams drove the field I think it's safe to congratulate the OL on a great game. No OL has a perfect game, they're all gonna give up sacks and pressures no matter how much you draft the position.

Also re: that sack and fumble I'm not sure it wasn't Foles' fault for not reading the blitz and going with the hot read. Or maybe he didn't like what he saw on the hot read? Not sure, would like to hear one of the media types ask Fish about that.

Moostache

Rookie
3 drives of greater than or at least 80 yards?
THAT is solid O-line play no matter how you cut it, but throw in the fact it was with 2 rookies making their first start, Barnes at Center and GRob being a 2nd year guy...AND that it was against one of the leagues superstar D-lines? I give them a lot of credit for coming together...now, avoid injuries, get Mason and Gurley back and we could really be seeing something great develop.

I am infinity more optimistic about the season after week one in 2015 than I was 365 days ago after the Minnesota Mauling...

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the absence of penalties was huge. at most 3, the 4th being the bullsh*t call on Quinn. and the only false start was on the most experienced lineman (saffold).

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Pretty much what I was expecting, a few mistakes, and not the unmitigated disaster it was made out it would be.

Athos

Legend
Surprised. Thought they'd understandably struggle much more than they did.

They played mostly well as a unit, but had some issues individually.

They can't leave Foles unprotected on the blindside too many times like that this season on the play that fumble happened. He may not survive if they do.

Foles made plays in dirty pockets. As in guys ready to collapse all over him. Need to create more push.

GRob is the lineman I'm most worried about. He gets flat beat too often.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was expecting them to get pummeled and crack under pressure. They played very well

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I was very happy with center Tim Barnes. This should settle down all the dusts ups that's been blowing around here since early spring on this post. (y)

The left side appeared to be more problematic than the right. Jamon Brown departed for a short while & was replaced by Garrett Reynolds @ OLG. Brown returned & did some very good blocking as the game went on. These young guys can get out & block on theses screens. Saffold @ ORG makes him standout. Those three OG's are solid.

I think ORT Havenstein who played every snap fared very good in dealing with speed pass rushing DE Avril with only a few mishaps was expected. The OLT is where much of our issues came from. Much was mental lapses. Greg Robinson has much to improve on.

One heck of a initial test for our newly reconstructed Offensive Line. I would have to say that having a QB like Foles & play calling from our New OC really helped this OL.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They exceeded my expectations.

Of course, my expectations were very low. :LOL:

Foles made them look better than they played, IMO. Some of those throws with a Seattle player in his grill (and the passes were completed) made me forget the fact that Seattle was getting consistent penetration and pressure. This still needs work. I don't think you can count on Foles making those completetions on a consistent basis... it isn't fair to Foles, frankly. So, keep working on pass protect.

Running game? My impression was that Cunningham also made the line look a little better than perhaps they actually played. He (Cunningham) didn't necessarily get a lot of rushing yards, but it appeared to me that got yardage and found holes where there was little to choose from. It wasn't like there were consistent gaping holes provided. So, I think more work needs to be done here as well.

But, that's what good teams do.... players step up and make plays under duress... when things seem chaotic. Foles and Cunningham (and others) did that yesterday. I was a joy to watch.

But my take-away for the Oline was that it still is a work in progress (doh!)... hopefully, it won't get Foles killed and whoever the RB is that week, he has a productive outing.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
One of the few threads I didn't read the comments...I don't want to be influenced...they played pretty well...Several breakdowns, but overall only 2 sacks...Quite a few pressures...But there were holes...G-Rob...Yeah, the guy people keep harping on, was ON some DE (AVRIL?) late in the game...This is a top front 7...Highly recognized as one of the best D's in the game the last FEW years....Havenstein...Saffold....Barnes (only guy I seriously question)...Brown/Reynolds...and Robinson. All displayed they belong...Barnes let a few pressures, he also does that damn irritating cut/chop block and misses...but he can play. Nobody is getting thrown around, and when they engage their man, it's a great looking scene...and backs find holes...
this all depends on IF Seattle is really a good/great front 7. They looked like it at times...Bennett is a monster. Rodger had most of his troubles with him. He was very disruptive...but we handled the others pretty easily...
The next test will be a 3-4 defensive front...But they were getting better at the end of the game....All you can ask for without 2-a-days....

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
To be straight to the point, GROB needs to be much better than the #2 pick is playing.

Our first play from scrimmage is a great example. Quick screen to Austin and his man comes straight in unblocked.

Still early but against that D it was decent.