What 49ers fans are saying(Games 1 and 2)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
49ers will not call quick passes against the Rams so this will be interesting.
Can you spell OPPORTUNITY !! (y) (y)

49ers will not call quick passes against the Rams so this will be interesting.
-----------
3 step drop??
Agreed, I haven’t seen a cut block on a slant all season long.
We just don’t have a quick passing game and even worse, haven’t had a screen game since the arrival of Roman.
To add to that, with the arrival of all the WR’s, Kap won’t even check down to his #3 WR from last year Bruce Miller.

It’s a recipe for a 5+ sack night for STL if Boone and Martin don’t get it together.
THIS MAKES ME SMELL BLOOD! :D

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
There's no guessing as to what they will do to us offensively. They're going to pound the rock with Gore and Hyde, and run PA with Kaperdicknose. The key to this game will be containing Kaperdick. Not really telling anyone anything they don't already know, but that's just how it is. I expect a black and blue game.

Keys for the Rams will be having the offensive line GET THEIR FUCKING SHIT TOGETHER, and limiting turnovers.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...ootball-start-sit-advice-week-6-49ers-vs-rams

Fantasy football start/sit advice, Week 6: 49ers vs. Rams
By DuckNeck Merton@Derekrva on Oct 12 2014

456701098.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Ezra Shaw

Recently, the only 49er worth starting in fantasy football has been Frank Gore. The vet is on a roll, while Kaepernick and Crabtree have taken steps back and Vernon Davis in need of a "backiotomy". If San Francisco is truly going back to their running game roots, where does this leave everyone not named Gore in a favorable week 6 match-up against the St. Louis Rams?

The 49ers start a two game road trip before their week 8 break. First on deck are the St. Louis Rams. St. Louis might not be racking up the wins, but their offense has kept them in most contests. Unfortunately, Monday night's game doesn't appear to be boon of fantasy points for either team. Here is who you should start and who probably needs a week on your bench:

Must Starts

Frank Gore

DeMarco Murray has been the only running back to score a rushing touchdown against the Rams. The good news for those who own stock in Gore Industries is that he has now rushed for over 100 yards in consecutive games. Look for the Niners to pound the rock on the road. Gore is a strong RB2 play week 6, but you may want to see what trade interest the vet draws as the season continues.

Quality Starts

Colin Kaepernick

He is starting to look more like the Kaepernick from 2013 as the offense focuses on the run. He only had 26 pass attempts against the Chiefs and this doesn't seem like a match-up that should increase that number. Not a good week to start Kaepernick as a QB1, but he is running each game and sooner or later he'll have to scramble for a score. Not top 10 material, but you could do worse.

Michael Crabtree

After stringing together two strong weeks Crabtree has sputtered out the last two games. His track record against St. Louis is encouraging, but he is in WR3 territory until we see his usage and targets increase. Hopefully, he bounces back Monday night with a strong performance, but his opportunities may be limited as the Rams can be beaten by the run.

Brian Quick

After several trips to the preseason Pro Bowl, Quick has finally found some regular season success. It doesn't hurt having an aggressive QB locking onto your routes, either. The Niner secondary is suspect while their front seven aren't generating a consistent pass rushs. The Rams boast one of the better offensive lines is the league which should give Quick a few opportunities. If any St. Louis receiver is going to get it done week 6, I put my chips on Quick.

Avoid

Anquan Boldin

He obviously can still get it done on the field, but after 5 weeks without a touchdown it's time to downgrade Boldin to WR4. St. Louis' secondary is beatable, but so are their front seven. Another 5 reception 60 yard night seems like an appropriate ceiling for "Q".

Vernon Davis

A better chance to play this week, but not a sure bet to suit up with his back issue. It's a Monday night game so if you want to wait and see if he plays be sure to grab Jared Cook or Vance McDonald if he is a late scratch. Personally, I'd avoid starting him given the uncertainty.

Zac Stacy

You probably paid very handsomely for the services of Mr. Stacy back in August. To date, he only has 1 touchdown and one game of over 70 rushing yards (both against Tampa Bay for those keeping score at home). Add a calf injury that cost him touches last week and one of the better rush defenses in the league and you have the recipe for a 220lbs bench muffin.

Austin Davis

The undrafted sophomore has turned a few heads in his last two games. Now it's time to see what he can do against a top tier defense. He was able to produce against Dallas and Philadelphia, but the Niners have only allowed one passer to go over 250 yards this season. Austin could have success similar to how Drew Stanton and Jay Cutler were able to achieve multi-TD games without a ton of yardage. I'd still rather be late than early to the Austin Davis party until we see a larger sample size.

Sleeper

Carlos Hyde

It's about time he snaked another touchdown from Gore. It looks like San Francisco is getting back to their heavy focus on rushing the ball and if Hyde can get 7-8 touches he could end up with about 50 yards and a touchdown against the soft Rams run defense.
-------------
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...San-Francisco-49ers-(3-2)-St-Louis-Rams-(1-3)

Thread: Week 6 Monday Night Football: San Francisco 49ers (3-2) @ St. Louis Rams (1-3)

We will win this game with a heavy dose of Gore and Hyde. 49ers 27 Rams 6
----------
It'll be me more of an aerial assault for the rams. I wouldn't take Austin Davis Lightly though especially his last game . The Niners will do the same like last year and thats run it down their throats!

28-14
---------
This game makes me a bit nervous. If they establish the run early and dominate time of possession then they should win by 10+. If they try and get too cute and play dome football, then the Rams and Davis are more than capable of striking quick through the air. Moral of the story, win the coin toss and receive. Go on a 12 play 80 yard scoring drive to start the game and set the tone lol.
---------
In a little concerned because of the Broncos next week. Teams can't help it...they'll look ahead to an extent.

The Niners are a better team in all phases except possibly the coverage team. They should win this game by 2 TDs.
--------
We will blow them out
--------
They definitely should. Hopefully they come out and take this opportunity to run a balanced game plan. Not run down their throat all day...not go pass happy...but in between. Run the ball effectively and create some big plays through the air.
--------
All depends on the game scenario, if we're up 21 or 27-3 for most of the game and they score a late meaningless TD, then yeah, it's a blowout for me, if it's 20-10 or close like that and we go ahead that little bit more at the end, then it's not.
--------
We are not scoring 30 points. We ranked 20th in football in points per game, at 22 points/game. You get to 30 by scoring TD's, and this is one of the worst red zone offenses in football.
----------
This is a game we can't take lightly. St. Louis has under-achieved by they still play hard for 60 mins and have managed to put up big numbers on teams they shouldn't have.
----------
I see the worry about looking past StL to Denver, but with a short week coming, they have to install part of the Denver gameplan now by necessity.
----------
Kap will throw for 2 (Boldin and a TE) as the recipients, Gore will run for 1.... then we will have one of the defensive variety. Boom! Not too hard to expect
-----------
Rams allow 29.8 points/game so I think with Roman this offense can score 24 on them.

Rams have the #1 pass defense in football. Let's not put our awful pass protection to the test this week.

They rank 30th against the run (maybe 29th).... Ball possession, clock control... slow and steady.

B/c the niners stink in the redzone, I'm sure Phil Dawson will be the guy. No turnovers.

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have to win this game to get back in the race and also just because the Forty-whiners suck.

RamFanInPC

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
thanks,
Amazing how the game with the whiners brings out the passion :)
I only have the picture though; found it on my computer. not sure where the pic came from or where I could get the shirt.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...San-Francisco-49ers-(3-2)-St-Louis-Rams-(1-3)

Thread: Week 6 Monday Night Football: San Francisco 49ers (3-2) @ St. Louis Rams (1-3)

I think Kap is somewhat improving in certain areas. I mean he never called a T/O (JH did) He's going through certain reads, staying in the pocket more..(would help if i had a better o-line) , but he's having trouble throwing short passes, lobs and dump offs. He only does well when he actually winds up and throws s. If he can put it all together and not have any setbacks then i think a bunch of us would shut up !

of note .. I think there has to be some red zone plays for Brandon Lloyd and derrick Carrier!
----------
We have won a LOT more games than we have lost. I think that means the offense has scored more than the defense has allowed. In conclusion, our offense can be counted on
----------
The Seahawks defense is comparable to the 49ers defense. This year, the 49ers D is better. The difference between the teams is that Seattle's offense is more efficient, they score more TD's than FG's. The 49ers offense is not good enough to win. The one year out of the last 4 that their offense actually ranked in the top 15, they made the SB. But red zone inefficiency cost them.

Granted, in the NFC there are only 2 real SB Contenders. SF & SEA. But let's give the little minions a chance. Let's say NYG, Philly, Dallas, Detroit, Carolina, and GB are SB contenders. They mostly aren't (contenders) b/c their defenses aren't as good sans Detroit/Carolina. But I'm willing to bet with the exception of Carolina, the other teams all have better offenses than SF.
----------
4 TD's??? 24 is probably a bit much for primetime game on MNF... The rams will be stoked for that game...

I'm hoping for 24, but we shall see.
----------
The 49ers will not be a high powered offense. They don't have the coaches, or the QB to be a high powered offense. Kap statistically doesn't put up the numbers. Their pass blocking is near the bottom of the league.

What most of us are saying, is that they need to be more efficient. They can't be at the bottom of the league in Red zone efficiency, they can't settle for FG's all the time, they can't be 26th in passing.

Seattle is better across the board in those categories, and Seattle isn't a high powered offense.

The 49ers defense gives them the luxury of having an average offense or slightly above average. The problem is that they consistently rank in the 20's... Instead of the teens.

It's the ONLY thing preventing this team from winning a SB. THE ONLY THING.
------------
The Rams game should go similar to the previous 2 games. It might be tighter b/c its a division game, but I expect a positive result.

The Denver game is the real test of this team this year. On the road, high powered offense that scores TD's... Demaryius Thomas, Julius Thomas are huge mismatches for the 49ers.

I really want to see if the 49ers can hold onto the ball, and make things difficult for Peyton. While he struggles against Seattle, he hasn't lately against the 49ers. Most of his WR's are open. The 49ers can't generate a pass rush, so he'll have time to pick us apart. Can the 49ers match Denver TD for TD? Of course not.

I also think Seattle would lose in Denver, so let's see how the 49ers do. Blowout? Close game?
----------
Seems like people keep overlooking this game and are already looking at games ahead. The Rams aren't a defensive pushover. Austin Davis has played well and their secondary is giving up the least amount of passing yards to opposing offenses. They'll have to lean heavily on Gore and Hyde in this one.
-----------
Think that's because teams are running on them pretty well, tends to scew the way the rankings look. I think back when the Vikings had the Williams Wall going on, they had a tip run D but we're dead last almost everywhere else.
-------------
49ers- 34
Rams-17

I think that Vernon Davis plays and the 49ers offense clicks on MNF. I really think Kaepernick comes to play. Boldin is going to torch the Rams.

Boldin- 6 catches: 123 yds 1 td

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...ing-the-blitz-boom-or-bust-run-d-austin-davis

49ers-Rams preview: Beating the blitz, St. Louis's boom or bust run D, shutting down Austin Davis
By David Neumann@UndraftedTweets on Oct 13 2014

20141005_kkt_st3_075.jpg.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

The San Francisco 49ers travel to St. Louis to take on the Rams on Monday Night Football. We take a look at why the Rams might be better than their record would indicate and what the 49ers will need to do to come away with the victory.

Coming into the season, if there was one thing you would have expected the St. Louis Rams to excel at, it would have been rushing the passer.

On the coattails of a deep and talented defensive line rotation led by All-Pro Robert Quinn, the Rams put opposing passers on their backs 53 times in 2013, leading the league in Adjusted Sack Rate. After general manager Les Snead added defensive tackle Aaron Donald — the best interior pass rusher available — to the mix in the first round of May’s NFL Draft, the punishment they would inflict on quarterbacks became terrifying to think about.

Yet, as the 1–3 Rams look up at the rest of the NFC West in the standings, they’ve sacked the quarterback exactly… once. You know, because, football.

The pass rush wasn’t helped when St. Louis lost defensive end Chris Long to short-term IR after suffering an ankle injury against Minnesota in Week 1. Long is obviously a very good player, but his absence is not nearly enough to explain the pass rush’s dramatic drop from first to worst. Quinn, Donald, and Michael Brockers give the Rams three additional first round picks along the defensive line, not to mention quality rotational players such as Kendall Langford, William Hayes, and Eugene Sims. There’s more than enough talent here to make life difficult for opposing quarterbacks.

At this point, it’s reasonable to wonder whether the change in defensive scheme has had a negative impact on the Rams’ talent up front. Gregg Williams, who took over for Tim Walton as defensive coordinator this year, has a reputation for blitzing heavily. One of the biggest questions facing the Rams defense before the season was whether Williams would stubbornly stick with his aggressive, blitzing style or tone things down a bit considering the talent he was working with along the defensive line. Through the first quarter of the season, the answer has been clear.

Under Williams, the Rams are blitzing on nearly half of pass plays, up significantly from last season. As that lone sack indicates, all of those extra pass rushers haven’t been able to find their way to the quarterback and it’s leaving St. Louis’s young secondary exposed on the back end; entering Week 6, the Rams have had the second-worst pass defense in football.

To the credit of the secondary — and despite one of the worst blown coverages you’ll see on this Dez Bryant touchdown — the Rams have done a great job preventing big plays in the passing game. You would often expect a team that blitzes unsuccessfully as often as the Rams do to give up a lot of long passes. Yet, the eight pass plays of 20 yards or more allowed by the Rams defense coming into the week was the lowest total in the league. Rather than picking up huge chunks of yardage at once, offenses have been able to take advantage of the man coverage behind St. Louis’s blitzes for consistent yardage in the short and intermediate areas.

Colin Kaepernick has been very good against the blitz over the course of his career and should have opportunities to exploit St. Louis’s secondary as long as the protection doesn’t break down immediately. Outside of a stretch in the middle of the third quarter that saw Kaepernick sacked on three consecutive dropbacks, San Francisco’s offensive line performed much better in pass protection last week against Kansas City’s stellar pass rush. It will be important that they improve on that encouraging performance and not be the reason Robert Quinn and co. get back on track.

Boom or Bust Run Defense
On the surface, St. Louis’s 18th-ranked run defense is nothing to be concerned about for a San Francisco team that’s rushed for nearly 400 yards over the last two weeks. Dig a bit deeper and you’ll find a defensive line playing incredibly well but all to often being let down by their teammates on the second and third level of the defense.

As alluded to, the struggles of the Rams defensive line rushing the passer have not carried over to the run defense, where they’ve been fantastic so far this season. St. Louis ranks fourth in Football Outsiders’ Adjusted Line Yards — which attempts to isolate the defensive line’s impact in the run game from the rest of the defense. With Donald (5 TFL), Quinn (4), and the rest of the defensive line frequently blowing runs up in the backfield, the Rams have recorded 40 tackles for no gain or a loss, giving them the highest stuffed percentage in football.

It’s in the instances in which the Rams defensive line isn’t able to cause havoc in the backfield that teams are able to make them pay in the run game. St. Louis’s linebackers tend to play up closer to the line of scrimmage than typical linebacker depth and are quick to fly downhill once they read run. That has undoubtedly contributed to a number of those tackles for loss. But when those linebackers read the play incorrectly, overpursue, or generally find themselves out of position — something that happens too often — running backs that manage to break through the Rams’ first line of defense are finding lots of green grass in front of them.

Combine that with sloppy tackling and you get a defense that is giving up a lot of big plays in the run game. Despite playing one fewer game than most teams as a result of their Week 4 bye, no team has given up more runs of15 or more yards than the Rams. It’s one thing to have DeMarco Murrayripping off those types of runs behind one of the best offensive lines in football, but giving them up to Bobby Rainey and the Bucs is another story.

Last week against the Chiefs, the 49ers were able to pickup consistent yardage on the ground throughout the game. San Francisco’s success rate (based on Football Outsiders’ thresholds for a successful run) on carries from Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde was 60.7 percent, which is just shy of DeMarco Murray’s success rate through five games. Gore alone was able to pick up sufficient yardage towards a new set of downs on an absurd 72.2 percent of his carries.

Given St. Louis’s propensity for blowing up ball carriers in the backfield, it’s unlikely that San Francisco will be as consistent this week. The Rams use a heavy rotation along their front four, allowing them to have fresh bodies on the field throughout the game. Blocking a group that talented for four quarters is no easy task, especially when they don’t seem to get tired. There’s a solid chance we see a good number of short gains mixed with the occasional 20-yard romp through the Rams’ secondary, which can make it more difficult to sustain drives by leaning heavily on the run. But if Joe Staley and co. can find a way to limit the busts, we could see a lot of boom from the Niners running game for a third straight week.

Ascending Rams Offense
On the opposite side of the ball, the story has been the play of Austin Davis and the steadily improving St. Louis passing offense. After an absolute bomb against Minnesota in their season opener — which was so bad it continues to drag down their overall offensive ranking — St. Louis’s pass offense DVOA has increased with each passing week.

Prior to taking over for an injured Shaun Hill in the second half of that Week 1 blowout, Austin Davis had never thrown a regular season NFL pass. In three starts since then, Davis has played at roughly a league average level, which is kind of remarkable for the former undrafted free agent out of Southern Miss. Headed into the week, Davis ranked 12th in ANY/A, 13th in DVOA, and 16th in QBR.

As you would expect for such an inexperienced player, Davis will occasionally make some poor decisions and force a throw into coverage that he shouldn’t. Despite a very solid 67.8 completion percentage, Davis can also struggle with accuracy at times. But with Davis under center, the Rams’ passing offense has shown more signs of life than we ever really saw with Sam Bradford at the helm.

Unlike with Bradford — when it seemed as if receivers disappeared from his vision once they went beyond 10 yards from the line of scrimmage — Davis is far more willing to push the ball down the field. According to Pro Football Focus, just over 15 percent of Davis’s passes have traveled 20 or more yards in the air, the seventh-highest rate among qualifying quarterbacks. Finding big play threats such as Kenny Britt and Jared Cook, Davis has been able to add a much needed vertical element to the St. Louis passing attack.

Every quarterback in the league in worse with pressure, but you typically expect young quarterbacks to struggle more than most. With Davis, that hasn’t been the case through the first quarter of the season. He’s moved well within the pocket to avoid pressure and has been able to get throws off with bodies around him, which happens quite a bit.

By PFF’s numbers, only Chad Henne and Matt Cassel have been pressured more frequently than Davis, who’s faced pressure on just over 40 percent of dropbacks. Despite those less than ideal throwing conditions, Davis has completed 54.9 percent of his passes under pressure, putting him sixth among qualifiers between the likes of Drew Brees (55.6%), Andrew Luck (55.6%), and Aaron Rodgers (54.8%).

San Francisco’s pass defense also enters this game on the rise. After getting picked apart in the second halves against the Bears and Cardinals, the 49ers have worked their way back to the seventh-best pass defenseby DVOA and they’ve managed to do so with a pass rush that’s MIA. A lot of that has to do with the play of Perrish Cox on the outside. Cox has been great since taking over for the injured Tramaine Brock and the 28.6 QB rating throwing into his coverage is the lowest among cornerbacks, per PFF.

There’s no reason to expect the 49ers run defense to struggle keeping Zac Stacy under wraps. Since that Week 1 matchup with Murray and theCowboys, San Francisco’s run defense has been lights out, holding Andre Ellington, LeSean McCoy, and Jamaal Charles to a combined 3.87 yards per carry. Instead, it will be up to the secondary to continue their strong play, limit big plays down the field, and keep Austin Davis from making things interesting.

Prediction: 49ers (–3.5) over RAMS

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Let this sink in:

By PFF’s numbers, only Chad Henne and Matt Cassel have been pressured more frequently than Davis, who’s faced pressure on just over 40 percent of dropbacks. Despite those less than ideal throwing conditions, Davis has completed 54.9 percent of his passes under pressure, putting him sixth among qualifiers between the likes of Drew Brees (55.6%), Andrew Luck (55.6%), and Aaron Rodgers (54.8%).

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10...ked-to-extend-monday-night-football-dominance

49ers looked to extend Monday Night Football dominance
By David Fucillo@NinersNation on Oct 13 2014

181960837.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Michael Thomas

The San Francisco 49ers have won six straight Monday Night Football games. They look to extend their dominance when they face the St. Louis Rams in Week 6. Here is a look at some big stats for the 49ers.

The San Francisco 49ers and St. Louis Rams square off on Monday Night Football to wrap up Week 6. This game marks the 49ers 71st appearance on Monday night, which is third behind the Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys. The 49ers are 45-25 on MNF, with a 20-14 road record. They have won six straight MNF games, including wins last season at home against the Atlanta Falcons in December, and on the road at Washington in November. This marks the second longest streak in franchise history. The 49ers won 8 straight from 1989 to 1991.

Several 49ers players have had significant Monday Night Football success. Wide receiver Anquan Boldin has 710 yards and 9 touchdowns in 10 MNF games. His 9 touchdowns leads all active players, and he has scored in each of his past four MNF contests.

Colin Kaepernick has been the starting quarterback in the 49ers last three MNF appearances. In those games, he has thrown for a total of 675 yards, 6 TDs and 0 INTs with an overall passer rating of 126.8. If the 49ers win, he would become the first 49ers quarterback to helm the winning team in his first four such starts. If Kap throws for at least 155 yards, he will pass Elvis Grbac among 49ers quarterbacks in career MNF yards. Two touchdowns will move him up behind only Steve Young and Joe Montana for MNF passing touchdowns. Young is the franchise leader with 42, and Montana is second with 33.

Frank Gore can climb the ranks among MNF franchise rushing leaders. He is ninth in scoring, and a pair of touchdowns would move him to eighth ahead of former kicker Jeff Wilkins. He needs 11 carries to pass Garrison Hearst for second all time in rushing attempts. He needs 173 yards to pass Hearst for first in MNF rushing yards.

During the current 6-game MNF winning streak, the 49ers defense has held opponents to just 8.2 points per game. This ranks first in the NFL over that timespan. During this streak, the 49ers have outscored its opponents 164-49. The Falcons put up 24 points last December, and the 49ers held the previous five opponents to single digits.
-----------
Not to look past the Rams, but
I am SOOOOO looking forward to the Denver game.
---------
Dec 11, 1989 -- Best MNF ever
John Taylor – 11 catches, 286 yards and 2 TDs

Against the Rams.
----------
200 yards on 2 catches. I heard Montana say he was almost sad Taylor played for the Niners because his importance was overshadowed by Rice. On another team he would have been the #1 WR.
That night and, of course, his SB TD are two of his games I’ll never forget.
---------
Looking for a dominating performance tonight
Feel like we’ve been an afterthought unless it’s Harbaugh rumors. Ready for us to put on a show tonight. It’s about time.
----------
I would be just as happy if the 9ers scrape by with a win
Division match-ups are tough, the Rams are coming off their bye week with all that extra time to prepare and the Rams are desperate. A Rams loss tonight more or less ends their season. They are going to give it everything they’ve got. Hopefully, it’s not enough.
----------
Let’s embarrass the Rams so they’re extra vengeful and take it out on the Seahawks next week.

Also, Arizona with the lead. Who here sees them as a threat to take the division?
---------
I honestly don’t think their O is that good and their D isn’t as strong as it used to be with all those injuries. Plus, their secondary has been giving up too much yards to opposing WRs

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I honestly don’t think their O is that good and their D isn’t as strong as it used to be with all those injuries. Plus, their secondary has been giving up too much yards to opposing WRs

the Rams are coming off their bye week with all that extra time to prepare

Typical whiner fans, don't have a clue...

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

Umm... somebody should tell this guy we are number 1 in the league in passing yards allowed.

I know we are terribly inconsistent in the run, but we match up better against our division rivals better than teams with RBs like Mccoy and Murray. I think it's a little easier to be more consistent in stopping the run with hard nosed bruisers. Just my opinion, though.

But yea, defense has to show up tonight. I'm hoping we see a hard nosed scrappy game.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Game 2 - around the first half of these posts were made before the humiliation at Kansas City.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/n...sco-49ers-st-louis-rams-pregame-thread/page2/

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. ST. LOUIS RAMS PREGAME THREAD (Week 9)

I want to see Marcus dominate the inside run game and spring Gore for 60 yard run.
---------
If the Rams gets ahead 17 to 3 again, I doubt the 49ers will be able to comeback..

so I say, stop the BS, and lets put this team away early.. this is the type of teams that we should walk on the field and have a 80/90s attitude of "they dont have a chance"....

new season starts next week!!!
----------
we got down 14-0 and came back. of course this comes from a guy who wants to dump vernon , Jh and aldon smith and bring in michael sams, so look what i am dealing with. i am sorry but based upon how much you dog our team and players, your GO NINERS shrill sounds a little shallow
----------
They would still lose if they went up 14 on us again lol
---------
Lets just hope that we aren't thinking too much about the NEXT game @ Saints before we play the Rams.
---------
fans may , just like they did with the first rams game and denver next,, but the players will not. if they do, they deserve whatever they get
---------
I don't think the Niner coaches or players overlook the Rams - quite the opposite. And I especially don't think they will after the Hawks just lost to them.
---------
Don't need to overlook the Rams when the Saints suck too
---------
One game at a time. Lets take care of the clams at the zip.
---------
we're finishing 12-4
---------
We gotta play these bums again?
---------
watch us come out flat
----------
We should never underestimate any team, especially a team coached by Pornstache, but I have a very hard time believing the Rams stand a chance once we get serious.

They got a tough game in KC, then they travel to Levis to face a rested team that was recently humiliated on national television... not a good situation to be in.

This could be an extension of the bye week... I hope the coaches use this game wisely (warm up, experiment, etc.).
----------
Most of us didn't give the niners a chance to get the W in Denver the obstacles we had to overcome were just too much.. shortened week.. injuries.. back to back road games. We should beat the rams pretty convincingly. KC will beat them up abit be4 they come to Levis ;)
---------
Niners 34
Rams 3
----------
the Rams gained a bit of confidence after beating Seattle.. they still remember how they were up against us, and the week before us, but only to lose in the 2nd half.. so they feel that they shoulda won their last 3 games..

.. their coaching staff is doing a hell of a job keeping that young team together and playing hard.. Fischer is an oustanding coach... We can not allow the Rams to get 14 points ahead of us again, because they may just close us out this time..
---------
Rams have to use tricky schit to finish teams, Carroll forgot and the hags fell for every trick they threw at them. harbs n co aint falling for that junk
coffee.gif

---------
might as well as play base defense against their special teams
---------
I want to see a CONSISTENT game. And a nice job closing it. That'll make all of us feel a lot better.

We know we are a lot better than STL. We have an extra week to prepare and get healthy. I expect a consistent game, and more importantly closing it out the right way. I hope we stay committed to Frank, Hyde and the running game.
---------
Rams already know they can't beat us straight up so the Niners just need to be wary of strategically placed trickery and not let down their guard. Like what Cook sniffed out back in St. Louis. They should simply expect the Rams attempting it, especially on ST.

Niners 34
Rams 16
---------
Cawks were pissed, but the Rams were more pissed for letting one (49ers) slip away. Fisher has the biggest balls in the NFC west with those trick plays... he wasn't going to be denied twice in a row at home.
---------
For those who were b***hing about the weather it's going to be around 68 degrees and might even rain
----------
They left us a little dinged but this time we won't be playing on carpet
---------
Rams just got slaughtered by KC. Yeah, I know "any given Sunday" but if we f**k this up every single Niner needs to off themself.
---------
Rams may be even more motivated. Do not take them for granted. A wounded animal is still an animal and twice as tenacious. We must remain cautious.
---------
rams will at least look competitive down the stretch

will probably get fisher an extension
----------
Jake Long is likely out for the rest of the year. Today Rams lost 6 players during the game: LT, RT, Center, #1WR, Safety and other Safety. We started all rookies in the secondary to begin with since Jenkins and Tru are injured and out. Our back-up center is also hurt, so the replacement to Wells was a third string. One of our secondary players was just pulled up from PS on Wednesday.

Austin Davis had a hard/bad game - but, um, it's his what? 5th game ever and his Oline was destroyed in front of him as he played. There goes Wells, there goes Saffold, there goes Jake Long...keep playing Austin.
smiley.gif

And, his favorite target (Brian Quick) went out Q1.

Doesn't excuse his early throw into double coverage for an interception, or his really odd decision to run backwards for 20 yards instead of just throwing the ball away when Rams were inside the 10, giving Z a FG he would (also oddly) miss at the 38 instead of the 20 something.

There is pretty much nothing that went right today for the Rams. Nothing. And there is no blame - it's them, this team I love.

Cut Fisher.
---------
You don't like Fisher?

I am bound to say, the Rams are having, injury-wise, at least as nightmare a season as we are. Every sympathy to their supporters.
----------
We better get out the gate fast. If we can't hammer the Rams we might as well pack up.
--------
Yawn. This is a boring match since the Rams is a cannon fodder for us.

49ers - 45
Rams - 3
---------
Whoa, I don't think we're that good. Specially with Kilgore out and some of our DB's on IR and dinged up. Marcus might be an upgrade on the run downs, but I'm certain he'll be schooled on the passing downs.
--------
They already lost Jake Long and now Brian quick is out for the season. If we don't throttle these guys there something seriously wrong.
---------
Thats a team that can't catch a break. All of their stars are out. But I'd have to agree, the niners should win by at least 2 TD's. If it comes down to a FG and a possible trick-play by Fisher....there are serious other issues.
---------
I don't know, if they continue to lose players, I don't see them doing very well towards the back half of the season. They are pretty much eliminated from the playoffs now as it is. Actually, when Bradford went down, their season was lost. I don't know if the Rams ownership knows about Bradford or cares.
-------
No Long and now no Quick? There season is going down the drain fast. That poor QB will be pooping his pants!
-------
Should we rest Willis one more week so he can get ready for the saints game I think we can take care of a depleted rams teams at home without him... heard he was limited in practice
-------
No NFL team is an easy win. You play your best players if they are available. Imagine if we rested everyone and ended up losing...
---------
Anybody notice how seriously terrible Austin Davis is at the deep ball? But he continues to just let it fly and miss by 10'+.

Kaep with two rushing TDs this game with Gore busting a 100 yard game. Boldin scores, Bethea gets a pick 6. Dawson misses all his attempts.
Rams 38
9ers 9
---------
One game at a time.With our O that's pretty much it. Haha.Can't take anybody for granted well, but the Rams and Raiders.
bigsmile.gif

--------
We don't stand a chance because the Rams have our number
---------
we need to blowout the rams
--------
This is what I came here to say! We need to let harbaugh rest that heart of his for the playoff run. You know fisher is going to pull a fake onside punt for the win and harbaugh might have a stroke. Practice man!
-------
The rams are tricky, have nothing to lose, and WILL try everything and then some.
-------
42-3, rams. the downward spiral begins.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Can't see anything but an L here, with the amount of injuries we have and it being in niner land.
Still going to enjoy the game though

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/10/29/7087327/49ers-vs-rams-a-prospectors-guide

49ers vs. Rams: A prospector's guide
By David Fucillo@NinersNation on Oct 29 2014

20131201_kkt_st3_024.0_standard_709.0.jpg

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports

We take a look at pertinent facts, figures and history in the 49ers Week 9 matchup with the St. Louis Rams.

The San Francisco 49ers return from their bye this week, hosting the St. Louis Rams at 1:05 p.m. PT on Sunday. The 49ers have won the last three games between these two teams, and are 5-1-1 against the Rams since Jim Harbaugh came to town.

I actually was in attendance for the tie game. I was up in the press box at Candlestick Park, and we all made our way down to the field for the final few minutes of regulation. You had to do that at Candlestick to get over to the locker room across the field when the game wrapped. I got down there with a few minutes left in the fourth quarter, and then we spent overtime waiting for a winner. When the game ended, players wandered onto the field and there was some general confusion. People know ties can happen, but when it actually does happen, it leaves one feeling a little dazed and not sure what to make of it. After the game, even Jim Harbaugh was sort of happy and displeased all at once.

That 2012 season saw the 49ers tie the Rams at Candlestick, and then later beat them by a field goal in overtime in St. Louis. In the three matchups since then, the 49ers have won 35-11, 23-13 and 31-17. They are a double digit favorite for Sunday, ranging between -10 and -11. We'll see if they can cover that this time around.

Series HighlightsMatchups: 130
Series Record: 49ers lead series 65-62-3
49ers Home Record vs. Rams: 49ers lead series 32-31-2
First Meeting: 10/1/50, Rams win 35-14, at SF
Last Meeting: 10/13/14, 49ers win 31-17, at SL
Current Streak: Won 3
Longest 49ers Win Streak: 17 (12/17/90 - 12/27/98)
Longest Rams Win Streak: 10 (11/29/70 - 9/28/75)
Most 49ers Points: 48 (12/27/87): 49ers win 48-0, at SF
Most Rams Points: 56 (11/9/58): Rams win 56-7, at LA
49ers Shutouts: 8 (Last 12/4/11), 49ers win 26-0, at SF
Rams Shutouts: None

WR Anquan Boldin

• In 16 career games against StL, he has totaled 104 receptions for 1,420 yards and 8 TDs.

• As a member of the Arizona Cardinals, he had 6 receptions for a team-high 123 yards and 2 TDs at StL (11/23/03).

• Has 6 career 100-yard games against StL in his career, his most against any team.
CB Tramaine Brock

• Late in the 4th quarter vs. StL (11/11/12), he stripped the ball from Rams RB Isaiah Pead on a kickoff return, marking his first-career FF. The loose ball was scooped up by S Darcel McBath. On the ensuing play, RB Frank Gore scored on a 20-yard TD run.
LB Ahmad Brooks

• Recorded 1.5 sacks and tied for a team-high 9 tackles at StL (9/26/13).

• Brought down Rams QB Austin Davis for 2.0 sacks at StL (10/13/14).
TE Vernon Davis

• Recorded his 100th career reception at StL (12/21/08 - 17 yard pass from QB Shaun Hill).

• Tied the then NFL record for TD receptions by a TE (13) in a single season at StL (1/3/10). Davis' career-long 73-yard TD reception in the 4th quarter tied TE Antonio Gates' record from 2004.
RB Frank Gore

• Ranks 1st in NFL history with 14 rushing TD against StL.

• In 16 games vs. StL, he has rushed for 1,229 yards and 15 TDs on 285 carries, including posting 5, 100-yard games.

• His 15 rushing TDs vs. StL are his most against any team in the NFL.

• Passed 49ers and Pro Football Hall of Famer Joe Perry (7,344) for most rushing yards in franchise history vs. StL (12/4/11). Gore broke the record on a 2-yard run in the 2nd quarter and finished the day with 73 yards on 21 carries.

• Had 20 carries for 153 yards and 1 TD at StL (9/26/13).
DT Tony Jerod-Eddie

• Recorded his first career fumble recovery at StL (9/26/13). The takeaway led to a 1-yard TD run by RB Anthony Davis two plays later.
CB Dontae Johnson

• Recorded his first career INT and first career TD, intercepting a Rams QB Austin Davis pass and taking it 20 yards to the end zone at StL (10/13/14).
QB Colin Kaepernick

• Completed 21 of 32 pass atts. for 208 yards and rushed for 84 yards on 9 carries at StL (12/2/12).
  • Recorded a passer rating of 111.5 by completing 19 of 28 pass atts. for 275 yards and 1 TD vs. StL (12/1/13).
  • Threw for 343 yards, 3 TDs and a QB rating of 123.9 on ESPN's Mon- day Night Football at StL (10/13/14).
P Andy Lee

• Notched a single-game career-high 5 punts downed inside the 20-yard line vs. StL (10/4/09).
  • Hit 5 punts for 284 yards (56.8 avg.), including a net of 51.4 and 2 punts downed inside the 20-yard line at StL (1/1/12).
  • Punted 7 times for a net avg. of 52.0 yards and dropped 2 punts inside the 20-yard line at StL (9/26/13).
WR Brandon Lloyd

• In 10 career games against the Rams, has totaled 17 receptions for 369 yards and 7 TDs.
  • Caught his first career TD reception vs. StL 11/2/03.
  • Had an 80-yard TD reception at StL (10/13/14). It marked the first pass play of 80-or-more yards by the 49ers since Lloyd's 89-yd TD reception from QB Tim Rattay vs. Dal (9/25/05).
DT Ray McDonald

• Recorded his first career FR and returned it 11 yards to the end zone for his first career TD vs. StL (10/4/09).
  • Registered his first career FF after taking down Rams QB A.J. Fee- ley vs. StL (12/4/11).
LB Dan Skuta

• Registered 2.0 sacks and 1 FF on Rams QB Austin Davis, marking his first career multi-sack game.
DT Justin Smith

• Accumulated a career-high 3.5 sacks on QB Keith Null at StL in the 2009 season finale (1/3/10).
LB Patrick Willis

• Recorded his 2nd career INT return for a TD, returning a QB Kyle Boller pass 23 yards for a score, while posting a career-high 2.5 sacks to go along with 11 tackles vs. StL (10/4/09). He became the first player in franchise history, and just the third player in the NFL since the sack became an official statistic in 1982, to tally at least 2.5 sacks and an INT return for a TD in the same game.

• While wearing a cast on his hand, registered a sack and FF at StL (12/26/10), taking down QB Sam Bradford.
-----------------
Surprised
To see our defense still ranked so highly after the Denver game. Cautiously optimistic that our defense will really lock down in the 2nd half of the season with all the talent coming back. Expect to see our running offense improve somewhat as well with more OL continuity – the Rams game should be a great opportunity to get that started.
--------
Says a lot about how well they've played.
Many points against them have been ST and turnovers leading to direct or quick scores.

Also our offense is too stacked to be ranked 19th in points. Unacceptable.
---------
Bad/injured OL, drops, bad calls, bad throws/decisions...
It all adds up. But yes, sometimes if feels like we should be scoring 30-plus points, then somehow end up with 20 again.
---------
I feel like that almost every game
there really is no excuse for this offense, even down one lineman, not to put up 3-4 TDs a game. We have all the tools to be a high octane machine, but we use them like were in the pinewood derby. Very frustrating sometimes.
---------
A tie game
in any sport is like having sex without an orgasm. A nice 14 or so point win by the Niners, with multiple who loves da sacks and a pick or two, would come close.
---------
The Rams are usually good for one good game against us per year
Let’s hope that "game" was the first 28 minutes of the game three weeks ago.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/29/mike-iupati-cleared-to-return-after-concussion/

Mike Iupati cleared to return after concussion
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 29, 2014

9f9a94b26bbcfa211ddcb718b69ed560-e1413578531480.jpeg
Getty Images

San Francisco guard Mike Iupati will be back on the field on Sunday.

Iupati, who missed the 49ers’ Week Seven against the Broncos after suffering a concussion in Week Six against the Rams, has been cleared to return.

That’s a boost for the 49ers’ offensive line, which missed Iupati in the loss to Denver. Joe Looney was starting in Iupati’s left guard space while Iupati was out.

The 49ers lost center Daniel Kilgore to a broken leg in the game against the Broncos, so they were particularly thin in the middle of their line. Kilgore is done for the season, but Iupati is now back.
------------
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/n...co-49ers-st-louis-rams-pregame-thread/page12/

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS VS. ST. LOUIS RAMS PREGAME THREAD (Week 9)

Rams just acquired S Mark Barron from Bucs. Does this scare anyone?
--------
Not Vernon
---------
It's hard to imagine Mark Barron having a big roll on Defense this Sunday with only 3-4 days to practice with new teammates and learn Gregg Williams Defense.
--------
Barron sucks, VD runs right past him
--------
No kidding Barron ranks near the bottom in Safeties according to PFF.
--------
No matter what happens around the rest of the NFL, our destiny is in our own hands. We're getting guys back (whether it be 2 more weeks, or even 4 more weeks), and whoever was banged up from the first half of the season (Vernon, Willis, Brock, ect.) they're all gonna come back better. It's no joke, teams that settle injuries/get into season shape early are the ones who stick around when it counts.

I believe in this team, I bought into this expecting from the start it was gonna be a roller-coaster ride, and I'm not even close to getting out of the cart.
---------
It's year three of his control, so I am having doubts about him. I think that is fair and to be expected for any Rams' fan right now.

I don't blame the injuries, there are many more issues than that.

Rams will win a surprise game or two maybe rest of the year, and then who knows what for next year. More of the same it seems.
---------
I do like the Barron signing.

And I am sure it is not "scary" to you this week. He just joined the team.

It is, however, a good pick up for the Rams overall and with Tru coming back and Barron moving to FS and McDonald moving somewhere else - maybe they end the season w a decent secondary. We will see.

If he really wants to fit in with his new team, he will make sure he gets a personal misconduct foul in his first quarter of play as a Ram.
---------
All VD needs to do is catch it when he runs by him, that's all....
bigsmile.gif

--------
This is gonna be ugly. 49ers win by 30+
--------
I know you can't take any team lightly but the Rams are banged up. Another week off could have him primed and healthy for the stretch run.
--------
Anyone else noticing our W/L pattern this year including exhibition? LL-WWW-LL-WWW-L..... if the pattern is correct we will to lose to Rams, win the next 3 against Saints, Giants, and Redskins. We will lose to Seattle at home, but beat them in their stadium. Our record will be 10-6

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=556467

WEEK 9: ST. LOUIS RAMS(2-5) VS SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS(4-3)

The line opened at 49ers -9.5, and is already climbing to -10.5 on some sportsbooks.

From a pure gambling perspective, the 49ers are 10-2-1 straight up against the Rams in their last 13 games, but only 7-6 against the spread. Additionally, the 49ers are 2-7-1 straight up in their past 10 seasons coming off a bye week. The over/under is fairly low, with the total set at 44. The over is 12-2 in the 49ers last 14 seasons coming off the bye. Obviously the team changes year to year, but it is still interesting to see the trend.
---------
Whoa, the Rams do play division opponents pretty tough but they did get smacked around yesterday.
---------
Can't say this for many opponents this season, but I am not worried about SF winning this one. Austin Davis.. for all his 1st half moments of success.. sure does collapse in the 2nd half. Our WRs versus their broken down secondary should yield very positive results. KC demoralized their defense last weekend.. and SF should be able to do the same.
-----------
Kaep had his finest day this year against them 2 weeks ago, why would what KC did show you how we'll do against them? We already owned them at their house, this time it's on our field. They are even more decimated with injury than when we played them 2 weeks ago, this should be a win.
-----------
Remember the last time we played the Rams coming off a bye?

Blaine Gabbert for the tie!
----------
True but I think this is a different rams team. They Just lost long and quick for the season and I think the team will be looking to take that 42-24 bashing out on someone...
---------
Rams traded for Mark Barron. Hope he plays this Sunday. Last time he played against us.

ibsvZ2knlZJ025.gif

----------
How's that amazing Bucs secondary working out... first round safety, high-priced free agent (Dashon), traded for Revis for one year...
---------
So Jeff Fisher said if Aldon is to be reinstated it better be sooner than later since they have to put their gameplan in. I agree, won't be right if he is reinstated late this week, so I think best case scenario is he will be back for NO.
--------
49ers fans... what can we expect out of Kaepernick this week?!

Historically I noticed his best games haven't been against STL. I'm nervous that this season's game was a product of Kaepernick playing in the spotlight and a couple busted coverages. However, is it possible that the addition of SJ/LLoyd was more of the reason for Kaep dominating?
---------
Everybody will probably agree that Kap always has the possibility to dominate any given game. It's just that the playcalling is often very suspicious, if not downright incomprehensible. And it's not even a function of the opponent, most of the time. We truly seem to be our own worst enemy. The offensive coaching staff, that is.
----------
The offense is more on his shoulders now so I think he should put up good numbers once again. Against Denver it seemed like he was on his way to be big game until the INT. The Rams run defense has been very solid since Donald has gotten the starting nod. Gore will have a better game than he had a few weeks ago, but Kap should be good for 250+ 2 TDs and 30-40 rushing yards.