What 49ers Fans Are Saying Before The Game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So at work today I was on break and talking to a 9'er fan who asked me if was true the Rams were going to rest a lot of starters. I told him yeah and he says "so I guess I won't be able to talk a lot of smack if the 9'ers win". I said yup and on the other hand if the Rams win.... He walked away laughing and muttering f..k me.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i hope they let mannion throw the ball in this game. every time he's hit the field they seem to shackle him.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1...ack-blue-and-yellow-uniforms-week-17-vs-49ers

Rams sporting their best blue and yellow throwback uniforms for Week 17
I barely need an excuse to play the Ram It video!
By David Fucillo

1403720.jpg.0.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams will be missing a few notable starters on Sunday, but at the very least we get to see those playing in quality uniforms. NFL reporter Sam Farmer tweeted on Thursday that the Rams will be sporting throwback jerseys on Sunday. The look will be the blue and yellow they wore from 1973 through 1999. You can see the look above.

View: https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/status/946509772727009280?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ninersnation.com%2F2017%2F12%2F28%2F16827976%2Frams-throwback-blue-and-yellow-uniforms-week-17-vs-49ers

There is no word on if the 49ers will be making any adjustments to their uniforms, but I don’t expect to be seeing the mostly white uniforms from the picture above (1997).

For a better look at the Rams old uniforms, I present the always classic “Ram It.”

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkKlzInR4Y

----------
i much prefer the navy with gold.
--------
We should wear our black uni's then.
to commemorate the end of their leading the NFC-W after this game.

And also because reasons…

San-Francisco-49ers-Gold-Rush-cheerleaders-AP_8232038001.jpg

---------
throwback unis are perfect for getting a throwback beatdown... glad they're prepared for it...
----------
the Rams that i grew up with first sported the blue and whites
When they first came out with the blue and yellow ..I hated it..thought it was to much..but as time went by ..i grew to love them uni’s..any way.
------------
Those old Rams unis are the best...
That song, not so much. Why does it have to be five minutes long?
----------
Go back to "The same ol’ sorry ass Rams" days…that’s what’s coming in this "new" NFC West rivalry…
----------
Maybe after the Browns get relegated to the CFL...
…the Rams can move back to Cleveland, get re-acquainted with their losing roots.
-----------
If by some miracle
the Rams beat the Niners on Sunday and the Falcons miraculously beat the Pants, the Fawks will sneak into the playoffs (if they beat the Cards) and they’ll play the Rams.

I’ll root for the Rams in that scenario.

After that they can suck mud as far as I’m concerned.
-----------
These uniforms bring back memories of "Flipper"Anderson and Dickerson
Those 80s Rams were no joke,the 49ers surely must’ve robbed them of at least one championship in that span, Niners were just an annoying team to beat, too many weapons on offence with a stingy D

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If by some miracle
the Rams beat the Niners on Sunday and the Falcons miraculously beat the Pants, the Fawks will sneak into the playoffs (if they beat the Cards) and they’ll play the Rams.

this guy is right on top of things.

a job in the nfl media is waiting for him.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great...so we get to field our back up team, wearing our beloved uniform to lose in front of the home crowd to frisco...What's wrong with this scenario? Wear the frickin gold and blue that we hate in a game like this!

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It really wouldn’t surprise me at all if the Rams, even with the sit downs, win this game.

Some of those above comments are so ridiculous they don’t even warrant a response, better kept in the confines of the whiner safe space

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Biggest reason I want a win is those Whiners haven't been 0 fer in the division in like 40 years. It's time for another.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1...fl-power-ranking-comparison-for-49ers-vs-rams

Week 17 NFL power ranking comparison for 49ers vs. Rams
We’ve got a look at Week 17 media power rankings. The 49ers are on the upswing
By David Fucillo

The NFL is about set to wrap up the 2017 regular season. All 16 games will take place on Sunday, and the NFL has removed a Sunday Night Football game from the slate to ensure competitive balance for playoff spots. There are a host of AFC teams competing for a wild card berth, and all of them will be playing at the same time.

The San Francisco 49ers are back in action one last time this weekend as they travel to Southern California to face the Los Angeles Rams. It’s a fitting close to the season. The 49ers are not going to the playoffs, but we are seeing quite the resurgence in the NFC West. The Rams have claimed the division crown, while the 5-10 49ers are looking nothing like the team that opened the season 1-10. Four straight wins with Jimmy Garoppolo at the helm will do that.

We’re back with a look at Week 17 NFL power rankings around the media, and I’m sticking with the look at our media sources for both the 49ers and Rams. Last week, the 49ers had their biggest matchup of the year, and put a hurting on the Jacksonville Jaguars No. 1-ranked defense. The 49ers almost blew the game late, but they held on for a 44-33 win that has most everybody plenty optimistic.

This week, the 49ers face a Rams team that is coming off back-to-back road wins, including a 42-7 thumping of the Seattle Seahawks. With Carson Wentz done for the year, the Rams, Minnesota Vikings and New Orleans Saints are arguably the three best teams heading into the NFC playoff. The Rams seem just a step off in this, but Todd Gurley and that defense could carry them far. Jared Goff is playing good football, but if they win the Super Bowl it will be because of the defense and/or Todd Gurley.

The Rams are going to be either the third or fourth seed after this weekend. It remains to be seen what they will do with some of their starters. I am hoping we see them all out there for purposes of evaluating the 49ers, but either way, a fifth straight win to close out the season would be a strong message for 2018.

SB Nation: 13 (Rams: 5)

49ers: In a week where playoff scenarios dominate the NFL news cycle, the 49ers have reason to be extremely optimistic, despite getting eliminated from postseason contention a month ago. And it’s all because of Jimmy Garoppolo.

The former Patriots quarterback had people buzzing with his two-minute drill to beat the Titans, but putting up 44 points on the top-rated Jaguars defense is even more impressive. And it has hopes sky high in San Francisco. No team has a longer winning streak than the 49ers, and the Garoppolo hype train is chugging along at full steam.

ESPN: 19 (Rams: 4)

49ers: Clearly the win total came well before the Jimmy Garoppolo deal. Garoppolo is now 4-0 as the starter in San Francisco, the only undefeated quarterback in the league since Week 13.

Rams: You know you're having a special season when you hit your preseason over/under halfway through the schedule. That's what Los Angeles did this year. And while Jared Goff's improvement has been key, give some love to Todd Gurley, who eclipsed 2,000 yards from scrimmage in Week 16.

Yahoo Shutdown Corner: 19 (Rams: 2)

49ers: Niners Nation talked about the possibility of extending receiver Marquise Goodwin, who has another year left on his deal. It makes sense. Goodwin has been a great find. It’s worth it to invest now rather than pay more later. He should have a fine 2018 with a full year of Jimmy Garoppolo throwing him the ball.

Rams: In the final 12 minutes of a 27-23 game, the Rams defense got three stops in three tries against the Titans in a win that clinched a division title. Jared Goff, Todd Gurley and Sean McVay’s play-calling get a lot of the attention, but the Rams have a good defense too. This is a team without a real weakness.

SI: 15 (Rams: 5)

Last Week’s Rank: 20
Points in MMQB Power Poll: 178
Highest-Place Vote: Ninth
Lowest-Place Vote: 18th (2)
Last Week’s Result: Win vs. Jacksonville, 44-33
Week 17 Opponent: at L.A. Rams

Last Week’s Rank: 4
Points in MMQB Power Poll: 288
Highest-Place Vote: Second (2)
Lowest-Place Vote: Fifth (7)
Last Week’s Result: Win at Tennessee, 27-23
Week 17 Opponent: vs. San Francisco

Bleacher Report: 23 (Rams: 4)

49ers: Games like Sunday's show why the future is bright for the San Francisco 49ers. We got to see how special Kyle Shanahan is as an offensive play-caller. We also got to fully experience the energy he and Jimmy Garoppolo have brought to the franchise.

The Jaguars are one of the most physical teams in football, and the 49ers smacked them around early.

With Shanahan and Garoppolo on board, the 49ers have the potential to field one of the most explosive offenses in the NFL next season. They have the confidence, they have the key pieces in place, and they have a ton of cap space to utilize in free agency.

Rams: The Rams didn't have kicker Greg Zuerlein on Sunday, and that stood out. His replacement, Sam Ficken, missed an extra point and his lone field-goal attempt. Zuerlein is out for the year, and the kicker position will be something to watch moving forward. Zuerlein was a big and reliable weapon for Los Angeles.

Even with a kicking issue, the Rams are able to win in all three phases. They still have tremendous special-teams players, an opportunistic pass defense, a quality pass rush and a bevy of offensive weapons. They also have Todd Gurley, who would be my pick for NFL MVP.

A year after going just 4-12, the Rams have a legitimate shot at going to the Super Bowl.

CBS Sports: 22 (Rams: 7)

49ers: They have to be thrilled with the 4-0 start by Jimmy Garoppolo. They need to sign him to a long-term deal as soon as they can.

Rams: They are going to be a real problem for any team in the playoffs. They can run it with Todd Gurley and now the defense is playing better.

NFL.com: 15 (Rams: 4)

49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo can do no wrong right now. Win out and extend your undefeated record as an NFL starter into 2018? Sure, why not? Chuck touchdown passes sidearm? Sure, why not? Dissect the top pass defense in the league? Sure, why not? Throw in a rushing touchdown for all the chicks? Sure, why not? Stare 10,000 bands and their songs into an iPod? Sure, why ... wait, that was a Chuck Norris joke. Have your agent ask for $25 million a year this offseason? Sure, why not?

Rams: The Rams earned a quality road win Sunday, even if it was a bit closer than most pundits anticipated. Todd Gurley continued to stake his claim -- and, by extension, the claim of every overlooked running back over the years -- to the league MVP award. Ezekiel Elliott should have received serious consideration last year.

Hopefully, Gurley, who racked up 276 (276!!!!!) yards from scrimmage Sunday, will do better with the voters this year. The effort of the day, though, must go to Connor Barwin, who was all motor on that final Titans play to corral ... or upend ... or discombobulate Marcus Mariota. Heck, I don't know what to call that final sack/tumble/Vlade flop.

Washington Post: 14 (Rams: 5)

49ers: The success of QB Jimmy Garoppolo playing in Coach Kyle Shanahan’s offense provides plenty of hope for next season in Year 2 of the Niners’ new regime. The 49ers are playing like a playoff team right now. Unfortunately for them, it took them until December to get Garoppolo into the lineup.

Rams: Todd Gurley is very unlikely to be the league’s MVP. It’s difficult to imagine the award going to anyone but Tom Brady. But Gurley is having a terrific season and he certainly belongs in the conversation.

Sporting News: 22 (Rams: 6)

49ers: Jimmy Garoppolo is now 4-0 as the 49ers starter and has teammates talking about winning the Super Bowl next season.

Rams: Christmas came early for the Rams with their first NFC West championship since 2003.
---------------
I still can't get over how much fun I'm having being the fan of a 5 (hopefully 6) win team.
-----------

If McVay sits out his starters
It’s so that we don’t expose them like we did to the Jags this past weekend, which would only help playoff teams that they’ll face.
Smart man

---------
Right.

Week 17 is the only playoff bye they can get. They’ve got nothing to gain this week, win or lose, and everything to lose. Gurley, Goff or Donald gets hurt and they’re hosed.

But at the same time, I’d rather play them at full strength.

--------
this happens every year

if they lose in the playoffs, and they sit starters, everyone points back to the "rest" and claims it created "rust"; if they play starters they claim fatigue (or god forbid someone is injured).

Whatever McVay decides to do, our guys need to handle their biz. Id like to see Hyde and Reid and Tank have big days, as this could be their last in a 49er uniform.

----------
I just want to beat them. I dont care who they start.

If they don’t sit guys, let’s take them. If they do, even more of a reason to beat them.

I understand we aren’t quite there yet but I’ll tell you what….this teams expectations for next season just went through the roof. I’m hearing a lot of "playoffs or bust" takes, and that’s pretty amazing considering where this team was just a few weeks ago.

I’m looking forward to next season more than any season I can remember in recent memory.

----------
https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1...e-down-rams-49ers-seahawks-cardinals-hamilton

The world turned upside down

The meek are inheriting the NFC West, as Seattle and Arizona crumble
By Mark Saltveit

851084984.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images

The 2018 winner of the NFC West will be a fast-rising team with a red-hot young quarterback, an unstoppable defensive line and an offensive genius coach who cut his teeth calling plays for Washington.

We just don’t know if it will be the San Francisco 49ers or the Los Angeles Rams. Jimmu Garoppolo, DeForest Buckner and Kyle Shanahan, or Jared Goff, Aaron Donald and Sean McVay? Either way, it’s exciting football.

Running back Carlos Hyde was practically giddy after San Francisco’s stunning domination of the 10-4 Jaguars Sunday.

I definitely want to be a part of this. Like I said, I think we got a good chance to go to the Super Bowl next year so I don’t want to go to any other team.

When asked about this comment, quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo had a curt reply:

I’ll talk to him about that. We’re dealing with the Rams next week and we’ll look at everything else after that.

Now, this sounds like standard (but true) football philosophy: one game at a time, not looking past Sunday, or as Chip Kelly likes to say, “Every game is the Super Bowl.”

But Garoppolo may also have been focusing on this new reality: the 49ers have to get past the Rams to even think about a Super Bowl next year, and that won’t be easy.

Sunday’s showdown between these rising powers kicks off the new rivalry that will dominate the NFC West for the next few years, and whoever draws first blood will have the psychological edge.

Maybe Garoppolo is focused on slapping down the Rams to show them who’s boss, right up front, before they get any notions of their own. This will be the new Battle of Yorktown that reveals a world turned upside down.

Over the last six games, it has become clear that Seattle and Arizona are falling apart, so much so that Bruce Arians is rumored to be quitting as the Cardinals coach. Even if he stays, the team faces a rebuilding year and their quarterback is Carson Palmer, who is frequently injured and older than George Blanda’s grandpa.

As for Seattle, they’re always dangerous but big contracts and a rash of injuries and weak draft picks has cut deeply into their talent pool. Here’s a thought experiment: imagine what the Seahawks would look like if Russell Wilson got injured. Ewww! That’s a disgusting picture (in your mind), isn’t it? Sorry.

Last summer, no one could have predicted these changes, but now they look inevitable in hindsight. The path to success in the NFL is simple: a franchise QB plus young stars whose inexpensive rookie contracts let you amass more talent. If that QB is relatively young, you have a Super Bowl window for a few years.

Until 2014, the NFC West was one of the league’s toughest divisions, year after year. Now that Arizona lacks a franchise quarterback and Seattle’s stars aren’t young (or cheap) any more, their decline is inevitable. But the two hottest franchises in the league are ready to battle, and their divisional rivalry will be incredibly fun to watch.
-----------
The worm Is finally turning in the NFC West.

The Rams will be the new rival and we can feast on the carcasses of what were two of the most arrogant teams in football… It will be interesting to see how long the 12’s stand by their crappy team in Seattle. I can’t wait!
----------
Arians, McVay, Carroll and Shanahan are clearly the best division of coaches. the teams’ success will follow. And i am in the minority who believes if the Cards hadnt lost the best offensive player in the league and their oline and their QB …. they would be in the playoffs.
-----------
"The Rams will be the new rival...."

Nothing new about hating on the LA Rams my friend.
Some of us old folks remember The Rams as enemy #1! I sure do.
----------
yup

pre-cowboys, the most hated team of them all. every single rams game was do-or-die

good times
---------
What I remember

Is when we were the hammer to their nail back in the 90s, and Tim McDonald uttered the famous phrase "same ol’ sorry ass Rams"
----------
I say lets thump them. Who cares if it’s not a real challenge, a win is a win.
----------
Hopefully we pound them so bad they HAVE to put in starters.
-----------
I think he prefers the 4 seed.

They want to play the Foles-led Eagles.
---------
Carolina is good, but I think the Rams have a good shot at beating them, especially at home
----------
Doesn’t matter who’s wearing the uni..

Beating the Rams just feels right.
---------
For the Rams, they’re relying right now on an older veteran O Line. That’s not going to last. Whitworth and Sullivan are the keys and they’re already 36 and 32 respectively. So their position isn’t necessarily as solid as it seems.
--------
I like SF’s long-term prospects over the Rams

You can’t overestimate the value of a good draft picker, if Lynch maintains his 2017 win streak. The Rams are still enjoying the RGIII trade bounty. But SF’s cap and extra picks are ready to offset that.

And ultimately I just like Jimmy G better than Goff who seems glass jaw to me. I don’t see him handling adversity well, as DCs figure out ways to counter McVay’s scheme.
---------
i'm still interested in seeing how goff reacts when a team shuts down gurley from his 150 a game. and it's going to happen.

Vikings already did it once. for now, gurley is the key to that team. not goff…
----------
The betting line opened at Rams minus seven

it’s now down to Rams as low as minus one. Will we soon be favored?
---------
If the rams are resting starters then fine

Let’s walk in their house and drop a 50 burger on them, make them hurt so bad they wish they had taken us seriously. Just an all out demoralizing loss that rips their soul entering the playoffs. I want the excuse to be whipping their backups, let them know who is right in their rear view, and coming for blood next year.

You shouldn’t take us so lightly. Yeah it will hurt our draft, but f*ck the Rams. You didn’t leave us any choice and Jimmy stays undefeated as a starter.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/49ers/comments/7mbsiq/rams_coach_sean_mcvay_told_the_media_that_he_will/

Rams coach Sean McVay told the media that he will probably rest his starters for the season finale against the 49ers

SCARED OF THE GROP, MCVAY!?
---------
No point letting them get humiliated by Garoppolo before they start the playoffs.
----------
Cant blame him. I wouldn't want to face us either.
---------
McVay is smart enough to know that Jimmy G is beating them with or without starters so that four seed is inevitable. He doesn't want his starters going into the playoffs realizing this is their only year winning this division.
----------
Sean McVay knows Shanny will expose his ass every time we play lmao doesn't want a devastating hit to his team's ego before the playoffs. We remember the TNF game where they let Hoyer bend them over
----------
They fear. We understand
----------
I don't need to see Aaron Donald murdering our interior O line on his way to meeting jimmy
----------
Probably for the best. I don't want to risk Donald destroying our interior line and injuring Jimmy... Particularly his face.
--------
we put up 39 on the Rams with Hoyer at the helm. imagine what we can do with Jimmy G.
----------
mNfmobv.gif
WOW!! The balls on some of these Clowns, ' the Rams are Cowards!?! - Don't want our players to get Beat-up By Garoppolo and his Bunch!'
Were did these Dick-Heads Buy these Balls!!!?!

WE HAVE TO WASTE THESE PUNKS!!!

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
Only thing I like about niner fans is the fact they hate the Hawks and Cards, along with those coaches as much as I do

fearsomefour

Legend

i hope they let mannion throw the ball in this game. every time he's hit the field they seem to shackle him.

McVay doesn't strike me as this kind of coach. He will be coaching to win.
I think he will get together with Mannion and put in some plays he likes and is comfortable with. Especially early. Get him settled in. I do expect to see plenty of runs. McVay will want to shorten the game if he can.
I am looking forward to seeing Mannion plays....although with abridged O talent around him it's with a bit of a grajn of salt.
I had been pushing the idea of a veteran backup QB going forward if the Rams have that window to compete for titles. Will be able to tell a fair amount on Sunday with Mannion and I would love to be wrong.

fearsomefour

Legend
God I hope we crap all over them. Ive never seen a losing team have so much arrogance.
Yeah.
Whiner fans are the worst.
Back when their mobed up boss was cheating the salary cap and their legendary QB was a coke head they bought their own press.
They are like the hottest chick from high school who is now 50 and still thinks everyone should be kissing her ass even though she just looks like an average 50 year old woman now.
They are worst fans at a game too. Ignorant, abusive, violent....it's why I stopped going to NFL games. Stopped taking my kid too. Where I live the choices were SF or Oakland.
Much better, safer and decent people at Raider games in my experience.
Whiner fans in Candlestick (last games I went to) broke down into two categories....scumbag drug addict/street thugs who went to games to start crap and wine sippers from outside the city who were at the game to try and be like the first group. Wanna be thugs in sweater vests. The same phony douche nozzles who buy a tie dye shirt and head out to burning man from San Jose or Napa to pretend to free spirits and hippies....no doubt having their accountants write it off as a business trip.
Worst fans in the NFL and, generally speaking, horrible people.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ok-if-sitting-sunday-costs-him-rushing-title/

Todd Gurley OK if sitting Sunday costs him rushing title
Posted by Josh Alper on December 29, 2017

898087282-e1514549837464.jpg

Getty Images

Running back Todd Gurley is one of several Rams players who have turned things around from 2016 to 2017 and his name has come up in MVP conversations as a result of the year he’s put together.

Gurley leads the league with 1,305 rushing yards and has 788 receiving yards and 19 overall touchdowns to show for his work through the first 15 games. He won’t get a chance to add to those numbers in Sunday’s finale against the 49ers because Rams coach Sean McVay is resting his key players with a playoff game in their future.

McVay’s decision could cost Gurley the rushing title, which Gurley says is OK with him.

“You’ve just got to look at the bigger picture,” Gurley said, via the Los Angeles Times. “Coach has a plan and he’s done nothing but right things since we’ve been in here, so you’ve got to trust him on this decision as well.”

Gurley leads Kareem Hunt of the Chiefs and Le'Veon Bell by 14 yards, but they may not pose a threat to his spot. Bell’s teammate Marcus Gilbert said on Thursday that the Steelers will rest Bell, although coach Mike Tomlin hasn’t said anything yet, and the Chiefs may be resting Hunt along with quarterback Alex Smith.

The Bills will definitely be playing LeSean McCoy, who is next on the list and 177 yards away from Gurley. If he’s the only one of the backs active on Sunday, that should leave Gurley as the rushing champion.
-----------
Gurley is smart to listen to McVay. I think McVay’s plan is for Gurley to end up in Canton, and the best way to get there is to show up big in the playoffs.
----------
Stupid Stupid Stupid…it’s stupid for a head coach to ignore the recent history that Superbowl winning teams have not rested starters…

And if Gurley really is looking to the future, then his future is better off winning an MVP than it is not. He has more opportunity to make money through endorsements and life after football as a former MVP than he does if he never becomes an MVP.

Then after watching the Stealers franchise tag their Superstar RB, denying him a long term deal for a position that is typically short lived, what makes him think the Rams won’t do the same…? is your bargaining position better with MVP on your resume or not…?

This is stupid stupid stupid and almost criminal for this young arrogant head coach to make boneheaded decisions that will absolutely impact Gurleys future!!!
----------
Teams should be fined over this resting BS.
----------
I’d let him play a couple of quarters at least. If he could get 50-75 yards in the game then McCoy couldn’t catch him.
----------
I don’t understand the resting of trained athletes. It’s their life to work and train. I’m sure they have their rest periods in stone at this point. Most people can’t even eat right. These guys eat, sleep and breathe football. What if you rest him and he pulls a hammy his first playoff game?
----------
Too bad the fans who pay good money to go see the team play don’t get a rebate for not getting the product that they’d paid for!When you factor in traffic and parking, you have to feel cheated.
----------
The Rams are just following the example set by their fans, i.e. some of them not showing up for games?

View: https://twitter.com/TG3II/status/946618640765292544

-----------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/29/49ers-bummed-rams-resting-star-players/

49ers bummed Rams resting star players
Posted by Darin Gantt on December 29, 2017

848632832-e1506005741140.jpg

Getty Images

Here’s how quickly things change in the NFL.

The Rams are good enough that they’re parking starters this week in anticipation of the playoffs. And the 49ers are disappointed to hear that because they suddenly feel like they have a chance.

With the Rams locked into a home game as NFC West division champs but unable to reach the No. 2 seed, they’ve announced their intention to rest players including quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley, defensive lineman Aaron Donald, and left tackle Andrew Whitworth.

That’s a bummer for 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan, whose team has won four straight with quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo at the helm.

“It is a little bit,” Shanahan said, via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area. “I’d like them to have everyone out there. I think our guys would, too. But it is what it is. We have to make sure that doesn’t affect us. You got to line up and play whoever you play. If you lose your edge at all in this league, you’ll get humbled very fast.”

The 49ers have played with plenty of edge lately, and just gave the playoff-bound Jaguars a punch in the mouth last week, scoring 44 on the league’s best defense.

So while they might be playing the Rams JVs Sunday, it sets the stage for next year, and could represent a significant torch-passing in the NFC West, where the Cardinals might end up with a new coach (despite Bruce Arians’ non-denial denial) and the Seahawks are on the verge of a significant personnel makeover.
---------
It was great for the NFL in the 70s when the SF 49ers and LA Rams were a real rivalry, but we’re not back there yet and the Rams have no bye and this is the right move to rest some starters.
----------
Short run for the Lambs. Niners back on top in 2018.
---------
Reality check: “You are what your record says you are.” (Bill Parcells) Sorry to rain on everyone’s PR parade, but the 49ers are… 5-10. Garoppolo should definitely improve their team next year, but meanwhile, how about if we refrain from crowning the 49ers as should-have-been 2017 NFC West Champions?
---------
Kyle Shanahan would be doing the exact same thing if the positions were switched on Sunday. So his comment as to it being disappointing is baloney. As for passing of the torch, The Rams are the NFC West Champs and they did so by going 11-4 in 15 games and proving it on the field.

The 49ers aka Whiners are a 1-9 team that hit a hot streak in December. The Rams have bigger fish to fry as in the NFC Playoffs and are not going to risk valuable starters to make Shanahan feel better.
-----------
You can call them 5-10, but FIVE of those losses were by 1, 2, or 3 points. Right now I’m not sure which team would win with both playing their starters.
-----------

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/946553504604176389

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/946530351903424512

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/946526801689317376

http://www.49ers.com/video/videos/R...c05-9c0c-4399-8b67-a3d5192f730d?sf177642398=1

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
For all the talk about how great jimmy grabmypole is you would think he was a rookie not a 4th year player. If he is so much better than any other QB why did it take him until week 12 of his 4th season to become a starter? I get that the guy has played well in a small sample size of work, but if he were as great as whiner fans make him out to be belicheat would have traded Brady before jimmy.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
For all the talk about how great jimmy grabmypole is you would think he was a rookie not a 4th year player. If he is so much better than any other QB why did it take him until week 12 of his 4th season to become a starter? I get that the guy has played well in a small sample size of work, but if he were as great as whiner fans make him out to be belicheat would have traded Brady before jimmy.
Stop making sense.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

I get the niners hate, but this is just an absurd statement. he played behind arguably the greatest QB of all time for the 1st 4 seasons and 8 weeks and taking only 4 weeks to start with a new team is impressive in itself tbh. and theres no way you trade Brady who is having another MVP caliber season and said he wants to play a few more seasons over an unproven backup. cmon man

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Too bad the fans who pay good money to go see the team play don’t get a rebate for not getting the product that they’d paid for!When you factor in traffic and parking, you have to feel cheated.
Yeah, I'm a little bent that I paid full boat for season tickets and will have to see my team mail it in against the team I most despise in all of sports. :palm:

Ants

Starter
Yeah, I'm a little bent that I paid full boat for season tickets and will have to see my team mail it in against the team I most despise in all of sports. :palm:

Nobody said anything about the Rams "mailing it in".
I think they will go all out with the guys on the field.