Wentz headed to Sr. bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stel

Starter
Watching NDSU, where's Wentz?

He is out with a broken wrist suffered several weeks back. He was expected to be back for the Senior Bowl but someone (jrry, I think) posted that he might be back for NDSU's next game.

Stel

Starter
Wentz has all the tools and I wouldn't think twice about using a first round pick on him. Great size, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism. It's all there. Had he played at a bigger school he maybe would be the top QB in the draft.

I'm a Wentz fan but you might be overvaluing him a bit. I think he is a borderline top 50 guy. I see him as not quite as good a prospect as Carr or Bridgewater but one who has a decent chance to become a starter.

FRO

Legend
I'm a Wentz fan but you might be overvaluing him a bit. I think he is a borderline top 50 guy. I see him as not quite as good a prospect as Carr or Bridgewater but one who has a decent chance to become a starter.
Maybe I am. I wouldn't pick him top 15, but I would draft him in a trade down situation for sure. He has plus tools that can be developed into a quality starting QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neither was Tannehill or Flacco and they've faired well.
In today's NFL I dont see the benefit to sitting a kid behind a 3rd rate starter. Is Mannion getting anything positive out of watching Foles? No way. IMO the principles of the college game are more integrated in the NFL than ever before and its up to the coaches to design/call plays that the kid is ready for

They were more NFL ready. There's not a benefit when there's not a glaring mechanical flaw. Wentz has one. Gotta get his throwing base and feet corrected. Best way to do that is through repetition. Throwing him in games is only going to slow down the process. You can do it. The Jags did it with Bortles.(who had some of the same issues to a lesser extent) But there are a lot of risks in doing that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He is out with a broken wrist suffered several weeks back. He was expected to be back for the Senior Bowl but someone (jrry, I think) posted that he might be back for NDSU's next game.

He practiced this week but didn't end up playing. They still won so there's a chance he returns next week.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were more NFL ready. There's not a benefit when there's not a glaring mechanical flaw. Wentz has one. Gotta get his throwing base and feet corrected. Best way to do that is through repetition. Throwing him in games is only going to slow down the process. You can do it. The Jags did it with Bortles.(who had some of the same issues to a lesser extent) But there are a lot of risks in doing that.
Totally disagree on the NFL ready. Tannehill has to be the least NFL ready qb we've seen as he spent as much time as a WR as he did qb. And flacco took all his snaps from shot gun.
If they can get a vet qb who can play effectively then fine, let him ride the pine a few games. Otherwise, he should play right away like all the others. It's up to the staff to scheme properly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Totally disagree on the NFL ready. Tannehill has to be the least NFL ready qb we've seen as he spent as much time as a WR as he did qb. And flacco took all his snaps from shot gun.
If they can get a vet qb who can play effectively then fine, let him ride the pine a few games. Otherwise, he should play right away like all the others. It's up to the staff to scheme properly.

Tannehill still had as much starting experience as Wentz (due to Wentz's injury) and played under a former NFL Head Coach. Flacco taking his snaps from the gun doesn't really say anything about pro readiness.

I'm talking about a guy with a glaring mechanical issue. Issues like that get fixed faster when developing on the bench than on the field.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tannehill still had as much starting experience as Wentz (due to Wentz's injury) and played under a former NFL Head Coach. Flacco taking his snaps from the gun doesn't really say anything about pro readiness.

I'm talking about a guy with a glaring mechanical issue. Issues like that get fixed faster when developing on the bench than on the field.
Tannehill was as raw a qb prospect as you could find. He was a great athlete. And flacco played in such a non NFL type offense.
1st round qb a need to play. Otherwise they're not 1st round qb's. If you're lucky enough to have a brett Favre under center to show the ropes well then God bless you. When it's some ineffective jag then it's on the coaches to work it out.

FRO

Legend

Plus his college HC was his pro OC. He had a head start on the offense and the OC knew his strengths and weaknesses very well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tannehill was as raw a qb prospect as you could find. He was a great athlete. And flacco played in such a non NFL type offense.
1st round qb a need to play. Otherwise they're not 1st round qb's. If you're lucky enough to have a brett Favre under center to show the ropes well then God bless you. When it's some ineffective jag then it's on the coaches to work it out.

No, they don't. Not if you have another option. Will help the rookie QB if he doesn't have to play immediately.(in most but not all cases)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Given that Lynch and Goff are probably going to be out of reach...sign me up for Carson Wentz in the first round.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So if we go wr in the first and Wentz is there to start the second do you move up to take him? If so what does it cost from say #10.

FRO

Legend
So if we go wr in the first and Wentz is there to start the second do you move up to take him? If so what does it cost from say #10.
It would probably cost you a third. I would probably do that. I wouldn't be against trading down and drafting him later in the first.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would probably cost you a third. I would probably do that. I wouldn't be against trading down and drafting him later in the first.
Trade down into the teens and pick up say an extra 2nd or 3rd? I like that option too.

FRO

Legend
Trade down into the teens and pick up say an extra 2nd or 3rd? I like that option too.
Maybe trade down a couple of times in the first. I think Wentz is a first round talent, but he needs time to sit.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you are all shooting too low on Wentz. Sure in a perfect world he goes where his talent level slots him, but he is a QB and every team in the league that doesn't have one will want one. Even a team that has a QB may look at Wentz as a prospect to sit and learn like Arizona.

It is glaringly obvious that the Rams need a QB of the future and any team that likes Wentz will try to jump them to get him. If they like him better than Mannion then they need to make a move to get him. I doubt he gets to 15. Teams recently downgraded Bridgewater and Carr and I am sure they all rue those decisions. I bet the Rams would love to have Carr right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you are all shooting too low on Wentz. Sure in a perfect world he goes where his talent level slots him, but he is a QB and every team in the league that doesn't have one will want one. Even a team that has a QB may look at Wentz as a prospect to sit and learn like Arizona.

It is glaringly obvious that the Rams need a QB of the future and any team that likes Wentz will try to jump them to get him. If they like him better than Mannion then they need to make a move to get him. I doubt he gets to 15. Teams recently downgraded Bridgewater and Carr and I am sure they all rue those decisions. I bet the Rams would love to have Carr right now.

It's weird. I can't tell what teams are doing. After the Gabbert/Locker/Ponder disaster of 2011, it seems like teams have over-corrected in the other direction...but after passing on Carr and Bridgewater, we might see them do the same thing again.