Wentz headed to Sr. bowl

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Carson Wentz has accepted his Senior Bowl invitation. It will be interesting to see him play and practice. My first impression of him is that he is not a very fluid athlete. Brady and Manning weren't either but everything from his arm to his feet seems heavy.

We'll see though. All I watched were highlights.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Carson Wentz has accepted his Senior Bowl invitation. It will be interesting to see him play and practice. My first impression of him is that he is not a very fluid athlete. Brady and Manning weren't either but everything from his arm to his feet seems heavy.

We'll see though. All I watched were highlights.

What's a heavy throwing motion?

Stel

Starter
Good move by him, IMO. Scouts need to see him playing with the top players since his level of competition is one of the biggest knocks against him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Labored? Not smooth? Not quick? Wasn't sure how to explain it. Look at the way he runs. Heavy footed. Maybe he is muscle bound.

I disagree on the throwing motion. From what I've seen, it's very natural, smooth, and quick. Looks pretty effortless for him to put serious heat on the ball. And it's not at all elongated. He gets it out quickly.

FRO

Legend
I'm going to spend my Saturday watching him on the YouTube. i hope I like what I see.

Athos

Legend
Incredibly green senior I see. One full year starting.

Seems like we'd be in for major growing pains unless he's an ultra cerebral QB.

FRO

Legend
I like his arm talent. I hate his offense. The majority of the routes were comeback routes and vertical routes. I wanted to see more crossing routes. He could get the ball out a little quicker as well. He would be a terrific pick for a team that has an older established guy and they want a developmental guy. Not sure he is a fit for us because I think he needs 2-3 years of sitting and developmental time.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love Wentz release. Hard to get a read on him watching highlight reels.
Senior bowl will be key for hom

FRO

Legend
Watched his game against Iowa State in 2014. I'm sold. Would draft him in the first round for sure. He has everything you want. I wouldn't trade up for Lynch or Goff now with him in the draft.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watched his game against Iowa State in 2014. I'm sold. Would draft him in the first round for sure. He has everything you want. I wouldn't trade up for Lynch or Goff now with him in the draft.

That was also his first game as a starter. He's improved since then. But he needs a decent amount of development. Definitely not a NFL ready kid.

FRO

Legend
That was also his first game as a starter. He's improved since then. But he needs a decent amount of development. Definitely not a NFL ready kid.
I'm not sure you would want to start Lynch or Goff right away either. I think we need to bring in a vet starter and bring these guys around slowly and develop them. In today's NFL I don't guess that is possible though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure you would want to start Lynch or Goff right away either. I think we need to bring in a vet starter and bring these guys around slowly and develop them. In today's NFL I don't guess that is possible though.

Those two are more pro ready. Goff is ready to start right away. It would help Lynch to sit him but you're not risking his career by playing him.

FRO

Legend
Those two are more pro ready. Goff is ready to start right away. It would help Lynch to sit him but you're not risking his career by playing him.
Lynch is a lot like Bortles to me. Goff would need to adjust to playing under center. I agree both could play, I think there is benefit to sitting and developing QBs, but there isn't time to do that in today's NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lynch is a lot like Bortles to me. Goff would need to adjust to playing under center. I agree both could play, I think there is benefit to sitting and developing QBs, but there isn't time to do that in today's NFL.

That's incredibly minimal. People say that every year about QBs that end up playing as rookies.

Lynch is more polished than Bortles. Wentz is more like Bortles...but more raw. I'd say Lynch is like Flacco in terms pro readiness.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
. All I watched were highlights.
Well, check out some game tape.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/carson-wentz/
...The competition isn't too stiff, which makes it hard to tell if he can fit it in there against top college guys....not to mention pros...
Late edit:

After a further review, I like his tools better than Mannion already.....Dude is moving around, running, and can throw that thang....Anybody bashing these kids is just looking for flaws...Now, I don't know if the playbook will look like spanish...:notsure:

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, check out some game tape.
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/carson-wentz/
...The competition isn't too stiff, which makes it hard to tell if he can fit it in there against top college guys....not to mention pros...
Late edit:

After a further review, I like his tools better than Mannion already.....Dude is moving around, running, and can throw that thang....Anybody bashing these kids is just looking for flaws...Now, I don't know if the playbook will look like spanish...:notsure:

I think a lot of the guy. Has some major mechanical flaws (in his lower body) but the throwing ability is there, the instincts are there, the mental acuity appears to be there, and the intangibles are there.

BTW, he might return from his broken wrist to play tomorrow in the 2nd round of the FCS playoffs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Neither was Tannehill or Flacco and they've faired well.
In today's NFL I dont see the benefit to sitting a kid behind a 3rd rate starter. Is Mannion getting anything positive out of watching Foles? No way. IMO the principles of the college game are more integrated in the NFL than ever before and its up to the coaches to design/call plays that the kid is ready for

FRO

Legend
Wentz has all the tools and I wouldn't think twice about using a first round pick on him. Great size, arm strength, accuracy, athleticism. It's all there. Had he played at a bigger school he maybe would be the top QB in the draft.