Welcome Aboard Michael Sam, but Watch Out for Piranah's!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Not the first time the 9er's have taken a player a few picks before us I wanted. I sometimes swear they're doing it just to deny us a player - because they sometimes look like reaches on their roster.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
@RamsAndEwe He's a seventh round pick and nothing more. I don't see threads welcoming our 5th round choices why is this guy any different? If he proves he can make the team great if not he should get the boot as quick as anyone else.

scifiman

...Rams! RAMS!!! Here a Ram, There a Ram! Everywhere a Ram or Sam! And Piranah! Watch out for Piranah's. More on Piranah later...

Rams Have NFL's Best Draft! Rams draft Janitor! Rams draft Michael Sam. What an exciting draft! Anyway, I spent a few hours researching Sams tape and workout performances. What did I see?

Sam's blazing fast first step and ability to bend around offensive tackles, makes Michael a deadly Edge rusher. Take a look yourself. Ewe gives Michael Sam a 4th round grade.'

Michael Sam is 6'2 263. Yes, Michael is undersized, but Sam uses that to his advantage by keeping a very low pad level. It's like trying to block a German Shepard Dog. Sam slips quickly by and below offensive tackle's pad level, and makes a bee line to sting and sack the Quarterback. Very quick and low. Even offensive tackles with good knee bend have a difficult time getting low enough to block Sam. If you watched the highlights, you can't help but notice Sams ability to bend around the tackle too. Reminded me of Robert Quinn. Did you know that Sams arm length is 33 3/8 inches? 5/8's of inch shorter than Robert Quinn's arms. That's a good thing.

Check out Sam first step snap to sack stat. ( I love alliteration) Sam sacked the QB faster than all the other major edge rushers in the draft! Go watch the highights! It took Sam an average of 3.36 seconds to sack the quarterback. Compare that to Khalil Macks 3.54 seconds to sack the quarterback. How can that be Ewe? Sam ran a 40 yard 4.91 at the Combine!

Michael Sam showed up out of shape for the Combine. My theory? After Michael Sams came out publically as Gay man, Sam became a media sensation. Sam was overwhelmed with multiple interviews, and massive media attention. By the time Sams Pro Day rolled around, Sam ran a 4.69 40, improved his vertical leap by 5 inches and bench press by two reps!

A slew of Proactive Gay Groups are going to ask Michael Sam to be a spokesman and give speeches. I hope Michael Sam doesn't feel guilty, when Michael says, " Thank you but No, not right now. I've got to concentrate on football The Rams have the best front four in profootball! I will have to focus every bit of my energy and being into football!"

When you are a 7th round pick, you can't spare a month of time to miss workouts, miss playbook study, film study, and technique drills to go on a Nation Wide Speaking tour. That's what the offseason is for. I'm a Michael Sam fan, and I want Michael to make the Rams roster, because Michael is too good of a football player not to make the Rams Roster! Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull once said, " I'm a musician...not a Rock Star. You can either be a master musician or you can be a Rock Star!. You can't be both. There is not enough time in the day, and that is why so many band's first album is their best album."

Sam's upper body is fluid and he uses his hands well, but Sams has stiff hips. Very strong compact ass and hips, and that's why Sam's hips are stiff. Which might make him a liability in pass coverage. Although, I think Michael could play linebacker on rushing downs. He's has great football instincts, and he has a knack for immediately knowing where the ball is going. Very good tackler. I didn't see Sams miss many tackles.

Yes, Michael Sam is a bit of a tweener. But I think Sams could give our linebackers a break on running downs. I think he can cover a running back out of the backfield, because he won't go half way, he will attempt to smother the running back in coverage.

But most of Sam's value will be found edge pass rushing. Our defensive line is better than the Seahawks, but the Seahawks defensive linemen were fresher. Our starting DE's Long and Quinn were playing over 80% of the snaps, while Seattle's DE's were in the mid 60% territory. I think Hayes, Sims, and Sams can lower our DE's snaps to mid 70%'s. Keep Quinn and Long fresh. Rotate those defensive lineman. Wear out opposing offensive lines!

Michael's Pros- I got to believe Gregg Williams pounded the table for Sams. What's not to like? High Motor, high energy, positive attitude, good person, can squat an elephant, low pad level, fast first step, bee line to QB. Can back up inside and outside linebackers, on short yardage situations. Wraps up and tackles very well. Will be a special team superstar. Well maybe not superstar, but very solid special teamer! I also think Gregg Williams has a plan for Michael Sam! He was co defensive player of the year in the SEC! Great Production!

Sam's cons- Michael Sam is not a bull rusher. When Sams beats his man, it happens in the blink of an eye. Michael doesn't over power offensive tackles. You wouldn't want to rotate Sam to the interior of the line very often. Tight hips limit Michael pass coverage skills.

Don't worry about Michael Sam's Speed. He ran a 4.69 at his Pro Day, and he plays faster on the field in pads than in drills in shorts. Why? Because Michael's instincts. Michael Sam doesn't hesitate. He attacks the ball from the get go.

Which Ram gets cut if Michael Sam stays?
I keep hearing Eugene Sims or Sammy Brown. I like Eugene Sims, but Sims is 28 years old, and Sims gets paid 1,2 million this year and 2 million next year. Still I like Eugene Sims. Sammy Brown is younger, cheaper, and very athletic. The only problem is Brown never plays. Has anybody ever seen Sammy Brown play?

Final Thoughts- Rams got a steal with the 249th pick in the draft! Sams will make the Rams Roster, because Michael Sam will shine in preseason and surprise everyone during the regular season. Michael Sam will earn his roster position the old fashion way...Sacking Quarterbacks! I predict Sam has between 3-6 sacks in 2014!

If Michael Sam’s agent really cares about Michael, he will protect Michael from the media piranah, and work with Fisher and the Rams to make Michael a football player. If on the other hand Michael’s agent exploits Michael, by focusing all of Michael’s energy on non football activities, such as multiple interviews, photo sessions, and speaking engagements, Michael Sam will not have time to focus on football and he will come into camp out of shape, just like the combine.

I know the Gay community is excited about Michael. Yet, the Gay community needs to let Michael have breathing room, and let Michael be a football player. I would think most of the Gay community understands, but there are few folks in every group: the ones with loud cranky voices, who make a lots of noise. Those few folks in the Gay Community will insist that Michael owes the gay community a huge slice of his time and effort. . That’s what the off season is for. There is a time and place for everything.

Michael will have to intensify his focus, forget the Circus, and work very hard to be a Saint Louis Ram. Football is a game of inches, and perfect practice makes perfect. Michael will have to focus all his effort on every training camp rep, drill, and down to make this team!
Watch out for the media Michael! Watch out for Piranha’s!

Watch out for piranhas
You can be what you want
It's a matter of time
Prepare to be amazed
You're flashing
they're frowning
you flash the clover leaf cheer
It's a game
You're winning
There's always so many piranhas

Watch out for piranhas
So many piranhas
Watch out for piranhas

I think we should tone down the hyperbole until after he makes the team.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Trey Millard. He went to the Whiners @ pick 245. He was too much of a shoo-in for what we do. And he would have completely changed what we could do out of the H-back position. (Remember about the statement Fisher made...."About 4 picks before...." This would fit the timeline.....)

I was thinking Leno. They scouted him a bit and so I figured there was interest there. Figured it was good value. But you may be right.

fearsomefour

Legend
It's been stated the Rams want to get away from kicking Hayes inside so often. That is why they brought Carrington in and why they were so heavily interested in Donald.

I don't see Carrington going anywhere. I also don't see Sims going anywhere.

The Rams will likely keep 9 DL. Quinn, Long, Brockers, Langford, Donald, Hayes, Sims, Carrington, Sam.
I don't see the Rams keeping 9 unless they go light somewhere else (WR)....out of that group it would certainly appear Sam is the odd man out. I didn't love Hayes inside so them keeping him in a true DE rotation sounds good to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
We are cutting carrington before he has even seen a regular season snap? Tough crowd.
Haha, not at all. Quinn, Long, Brockers, Langford, Donald, Hayes and Sims have spots on lockdown to me. If Carrington stays healthy he may as well. I was just looking where there may be competition.
Carrington, Cudjo, Sam, Sammy Brown....that's about it I guess.
Unless your coming to the Rams as a D lineman with top shelf skills it is gonna be tough.
I singled Carrington out based more on injury than anything. He is an upgrade over put depth DT last year.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I don't see the Rams keeping 9 unless they go light somewhere else (WR)....out of that group it would certainly appear Sam is the odd man out. I didn't love Hayes inside so them keeping him in a true DE rotation sounds good to me.
They kept 9 last year...but they also only kept 5 WRs...so like you said, it depends on other positions.

It also depends A LOT on special teams value.

Who knows...with some of these new DBs able to play STs you might see the Rams only keep 3 RBs or something along those lines. It's hard to tell which direction they go with some of these positions.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@RamsAndEwe He's a seventh round pick and nothing more. I don't see threads welcoming our 5th round choices why is this guy any different? If he proves he can make the team great if not he should get the boot as quick as anyone else.

I will welcome other draft choices, but I wanted to get Michael Sam's story out of the way. Do it now and get it over with. I'm already tired of all the Michael Sam media attention. So I posted it today. It was today or never and forever hold my peace.

Yet, I stand by my opinion that Sam is a steal in the 7th round. Michael Sam sacked QB's faster than Khalil Mack, Anthony Barr, Dee Ford, and Kony Ealy. Take Mack for example. Khalil Mack played in a weaker conference then Sam, and Mack went unblocked on 37.5% of his sacks. Michael Sam went unblocked on only 10% of his sacks, and Sam sacked the QB an average of 3.36 seconds, compared to Mack's 3.54 seconds per sack. Or Dee Ford's 4.26 seconds per sack.

People point towards Khalil Mack's Ohio State game. Against Ohio State Mack got all his Sacks against a 19 year old Right Tackle making his first college career start! Khalil Mack got the rest of his sacks against Stoney Brook, Easter Michigan, Western Michigan, Bowling Green. While Sam had to play against Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Auburn, Tennessee, and Oklahoma State.

fearsomefour

Legend
They kept 9 last year...but they also only kept 5 WRs...so like you said, it depends on other positions.

It also depends A LOT on special teams value.

Who knows...with some of these new DBs able to play STs you might see the Rams only keep 3 RBs or something along those lines. It's hard to tell which direction they go with some of these positions.
3 RB could be possible with Austin as an "emergency" RB.
Risky to dress just 3 RB given the risk of injury.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Sam's cons- Michael Sam is not a bull rusher. When Sams beats his man, it happens in the blink of an eye. Michael doesn't over power offensive tackles. You wouldn't want to rotate Sam to the interior of the line very often.

He does have a decent rip move, but I agree. Just off of size alone. Speaking of that, he's honestly only like 10 pounds lighter than Quinn if that. Would imagine he could gain a few in the weight room. I think being mentored by Quinn and having Waffle as a coach is obviously going to do him wonders. He does need to get stronger though. You can't win on the outside every time.

I agree that his talent obviously exceeds a 7th round pick. Steal for the Rams, especially considering we have the luxury and time to develop him. Great write up btw, and thanks for taking the time to make these analysis. Good thread(s).