Welcome Aboard Michael Sam, but Watch Out for Piranah's!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
...Rams! RAMS!!! Here a Ram, There a Ram! Everywhere a Ram or Sam! And Piranah! Watch out for Piranah's. More on Piranah later...

Rams Have NFL's Best Draft! Rams draft Janitor! Rams draft Michael Sam. What an exciting draft! Anyway, I spent a few hours researching Sams tape and workout performances. What did I see?

Sam's blazing fast first step and ability to bend around offensive tackles, makes Michael a deadly Edge rusher. Take a look yourself. Ewe gives Michael Sam a 4th round grade.'

Michael Sam is 6'2 263. Yes, Michael is undersized, but Sam uses that to his advantage by keeping a very low pad level. It's like trying to block a German Shepard Dog. Sam slips quickly by and below offensive tackle's pad level, and makes a bee line to sting and sack the Quarterback. Very quick and low. Even offensive tackles with good knee bend have a difficult time getting low enough to block Sam. If you watched the highlights, you can't help but notice Sams ability to bend around the tackle too. Reminded me of Robert Quinn. Did you know that Sams arm length is 33 3/8 inches? 5/8's of inch shorter than Robert Quinn's arms. That's a good thing.

Check out Sam first step snap to sack stat. ( I love alliteration) Sam sacked the QB faster than all the other major edge rushers in the draft! Go watch the highights! It took Sam an average of 3.36 seconds to sack the quarterback. Compare that to Khalil Macks 3.54 seconds to sack the quarterback. How can that be Ewe? Sam ran a 40 yard 4.91 at the Combine!

Michael Sam showed up out of shape for the Combine. My theory? After Michael Sams came out publically as Gay man, Sam became a media sensation. Sam was overwhelmed with multiple interviews, and massive media attention. By the time Sams Pro Day rolled around, Sam ran a 4.69 40, improved his vertical leap by 5 inches and bench press by two reps!

A slew of Proactive Gay Groups are going to ask Michael Sam to be a spokesman and give speeches. I hope Michael Sam doesn't feel guilty, when Michael says, " Thank you but No, not right now. I've got to concentrate on football The Rams have the best front four in profootball! I will have to focus every bit of my energy and being into football!"

When you are a 7th round pick, you can't spare a month of time to miss workouts, miss playbook study, film study, and technique drills to go on a Nation Wide Speaking tour. That's what the offseason is for. I'm a Michael Sam fan, and I want Michael to make the Rams roster, because Michael is too good of a football player not to make the Rams Roster! Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull once said, " I'm a musician...not a Rock Star. You can either be a master musician or you can be a Rock Star!. You can't be both. There is not enough time in the day, and that is why so many band's first album is their best album."

Sam's upper body is fluid and he uses his hands well, but Sams has stiff hips. Very strong compact ass and hips, and that's why Sam's hips are stiff. Which might make him a liability in pass coverage. Although, I think Michael could play linebacker on rushing downs. He's has great football instincts, and he has a knack for immediately knowing where the ball is going. Very good tackler. I didn't see Sams miss many tackles.

Yes, Michael Sam is a bit of a tweener. But I think Sams could give our linebackers a break on running downs. I think he can cover a running back out of the backfield, because he won't go half way, he will attempt to smother the running back in coverage.

But most of Sam's value will be found edge pass rushing. Our defensive line is better than the Seahawks, but the Seahawks defensive linemen were fresher. Our starting DE's Long and Quinn were playing over 80% of the snaps, while Seattle's DE's were in the mid 60% territory. I think Hayes, Sims, and Sams can lower our DE's snaps to mid 70%'s. Keep Quinn and Long fresh. Rotate those defensive lineman. Wear out opposing offensive lines!

Michael's Pros- I got to believe Gregg Williams pounded the table for Sams. What's not to like? High Motor, high energy, positive attitude, good person, can squat an elephant, low pad level, fast first step, bee line to QB. Can back up inside and outside linebackers, on short yardage situations. Wraps up and tackles very well. Will be a special team superstar. Well maybe not superstar, but very solid special teamer! I also think Gregg Williams has a plan for Michael Sam! He was co defensive player of the year in the SEC! Great Production!

Sam's cons- Michael Sam is not a bull rusher. When Sams beats his man, it happens in the blink of an eye. Michael doesn't over power offensive tackles. You wouldn't want to rotate Sam to the interior of the line very often. Tight hips limit Michael pass coverage skills.

Don't worry about Michael Sam's Speed. He ran a 4.69 at his Pro Day, and he plays faster on the field in pads than in drills in shorts. Why? Because Michael's instincts. Michael Sam doesn't hesitate. He attacks the ball from the get go.

Which Ram gets cut if Michael Sam stays?
I keep hearing Eugene Sims or Sammy Brown. I like Eugene Sims, but Sims is 28 years old, and Sims gets paid 1,2 million this year and 2 million next year. Still I like Eugene Sims. Sammy Brown is younger, cheaper, and very athletic. The only problem is Brown never plays. Has anybody ever seen Sammy Brown play?

Final Thoughts- Rams got a steal with the 249th pick in the draft! Sams will make the Rams Roster, because Michael Sam will shine in preseason and surprise everyone during the regular season. Michael Sam will earn his roster position the old fashion way...Sacking Quarterbacks! I predict Sam has between 3-6 sacks in 2014!

If Michael Sam’s agent really cares about Michael, he will protect Michael from the media piranah, and work with Fisher and the Rams to make Michael a football player. If on the other hand Michael’s agent exploits Michael, by focusing all of Michael’s energy on non football activities, such as multiple interviews, photo sessions, and speaking engagements, Michael Sam will not have time to focus on football and he will come into camp out of shape, just like the combine.

I know the Gay community is excited about Michael. Yet, the Gay community needs to let Michael have breathing room, and let Michael be a football player. I would think most of the Gay community understands, but there are few folks in every group: the ones with loud cranky voices, who make a lots of noise. Those few folks in the Gay Community will insist that Michael owes the gay community a huge slice of his time and effort. . That’s what the off season is for. There is a time and place for everything.

Michael will have to intensify his focus, forget the Circus, and work very hard to be a Saint Louis Ram. Football is a game of inches, and perfect practice makes perfect. Michael will have to focus all his effort on every training camp rep, drill, and down to make this team!
Watch out for the media Michael! Watch out for Piranha’s!

Watch out for piranhas
You can be what you want
It's a matter of time
Prepare to be amazed
You're flashing
they're frowning
you flash the clover leaf cheer
It's a game
You're winning
There's always so many piranhas

Watch out for piranhas
So many piranhas
Watch out for piranhas

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Nice post.
In terms of value I agree Sam was a steal in the 7th round.
He has some limitations....he was stiff as a board in space and inability to change direction really limit him. I still think he could project as a 3/4 inside LB with some work. It will be interesting to see if some of his physical limitations are improved working with a pro training staff.
So basically he is an undersized DE who tested out with marginal/bad numbers....but the guy made plays. If finding players was nothing more than recording 40 times and vert jump numbers it would be easy. I think more likely than Sims to get cut is Carrington at DT. Hayes and or Long can slide inside on passing downs. Sam has one chance to make the team and that is as a pass rusher only. A 100% effort edge rusher who gets a few snaps a game to make a play. His mentality is right for this role, the test will be his athletic ability.

PhxRam

Nice post.
He has some limitations....he was stiff as a board in space and inability to change direction really limit him. I still think he could project as a 3/4 inside LB with some work. It will be interesting to see if some of his physical limitations are improved working with a pro training staff.
So basically he is an undersized DE who tested out with marginal/bad numbers....but the guy made plays. If finding players was nothing more than recording 40 times and vert jump numbers it would be easy. I think more likely than Sims to get cut is Carrington at DT. Hayes and or Long can slide inside on passing downs. Sam has one chance to make the team and that is as a pass rusher only. A 100% effort edge rusher who gets a few snaps a game to make a play. His mentality is right for this role, the test will be his athletic ability.

We are cutting carrington before he has even seen a regular season snap? Tough crowd.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Can I just say that I haven't been able to even lurk on the Stalk forums because of all the gay bashing threads. It is downright unreadable at the moment, which is saying alot for the sewer grade threads that are usually on there. I can't even pick out the few good threads started by good posters over there.

If he makes the team, I hope we can get Sam over here for a Q&A some day.

Also, I think he'll make the team as a Special Teamer and do really well. There's just no way that he cracks our D-line and gets any playing time.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
He does get under the pads in a blink.....thanks for the analysis...I agree on 1.2 mm to Eugene Sims doesn't look so good....

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Ian Anderson also said "Nothing is easy." :cool:

The conventional wisdom is to keep pass rushers fresh by rotating them in and out. This may be the main hope for Michael Sam aside from special teams or a possible switch to LB.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
He's a damn defensive lineman. Why the hell does media folk care so much about his fuckin 40 time?

I want him to make the team and be a factor. Special teams. DPI (designated pass rusher). Stand him up, put his hand in the dirt. Just blitz him, baby.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
While a quick first step is good, this is the NFL. Where everyone has something better than average. Now, I believe Sam has the ability to go beyond where he is now and contribute to the team, but I wouldn't go as far as citing who he "might" supplant on the main roster. He was better than his draft position, but that was why we drafted him. He was still there in the 7th (where it was "amazing" we didn't really have anyone on the board for the 249th pick..... I mean, the team does months and months of research and then a few picks before....."Let's draft Michael Sam....") My thoughts, we had someone else in mind we didn't think anyone was going to get and when he was picked by another team....(a few picks before and yes I think I know who it was....) we have a bit of an opening. Fisher looked at the board and realized Sam was prominently still there....made the call. The value was too much to pass over, since our first choice for the position (249) wasn't there.

Now comes the $50000 question. Does he have what it takes to win a position on the roster? I don't know. But even if not, I think he could be a valuable member of our practice squad. and w/ a year of training and prepping could have the basis to go much further. but if he can make it this year, More power to him. I just want the best 53 we can get on the team. And if Michael Sam can be one of those players. Great. But at the same time, I'm not caught up in what a 7th round pick can do for us at this point. That was a couple of years ago. This team needs to be able to challenge for the division (and by doing so the Super Bowl....) Everything else, is a sidebar issue.

That been said, Good Luck Mr. Sam. You will need to bring your best...so you can play w/ the best.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While a quick first step is good, this is the NFL. Where everyone has something better than average. Now, I believe Sam has the ability to go beyond where he is now and contribute to the team, but I wouldn't go as far as citing who he "might" supplant on the main roster. He was better than his draft position, but that was why we drafted him. He was still there in the 7th (where it was "amazing" we didn't really have anyone on the board for the 249th pick..... I mean, the team does months and months of research and then a few picks before....."Let's draft Michael Sam....") My thoughts, we had someone else in mind we didn't think anyone was going to get and when he was picked by another team....(a few picks before and yes I think I know who it was....) we have a bit of an opening. Fisher looked at the board and realized Sam was prominently still there....made the call. The value was too much to pass over, since our first choice for the position (249) wasn't there.

Now comes the $50000 question. Does he have what it takes to win a position on the roster? I don't know. But even if not, I think he could be a valuable member of our practice squad. and w/ a year of training and prepping could have the basis to go much further. but if he can make it this year, More power to him. I just want the best 53 we can get on the team. And if Michael Sam can be one of those players. Great. But at the same time, I'm not caught up in what a 7th round pick can do for us at this point. That was a couple of years ago. This team needs to be able to challenge for the division (and by doing so the Super Bowl....) Everything else, is a sidebar issue.

That been said, Good Luck Mr. Sam. You will need to bring your best...so you can play w/ the best.

I agree that this is all a sidebar, and this is my last article on Michael Sam for a very long time.
I think it's best for the Rams, us, and Michael if all the hullabaloo and brouhaha disappear like a tear into the rain.

PS. I love that Einstein quote. I needed to hear that today!

PhxRam

I agree that this is all a sidebar, and this is my last article on Michael Sam for a very long time.
I think it's best for the Rams, us, and Michael if all the hullabaloo and brouhaha disappear like a tear into the rain.

As always, good read ewe.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Can I just say that I haven't been able to even lurk on the Stalk forums because of all the gay bashing threads. It is downright unreadable at the moment, which is saying alot for the sewer grade threads that are usually on there. I can't even pick out the few good threads started by good posters over there.

If he makes the team, I hope we can get Sam over here for a Q&A some day.

Also, I think he'll make the team as a Special Teamer and do really well. There's just no way that he cracks our D-line and gets any playing time.
here here

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Nice post.
It's been stated the Rams want to get away from kicking Hayes inside so often. That is why they brought Carrington in and why they were so heavily interested in Donald.

I don't see Carrington going anywhere. I also don't see Sims going anywhere.

The Rams will likely keep 9 DL. Quinn, Long, Brockers, Langford, Donald, Hayes, Sims, Carrington, Sam.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Okay dude Give it up. Who is the player that you think they wanted but was not available. You can't just throw that out there without telling us!

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Please.....never feel restrained on my account. I love your posts. You always "speak" from the heart and I feel that really encompasses so many of us Rams fans. We are ready for something to happen. We know the pieces are in place and we want the show the world it's about to happen.......But while not all of us are not from Missouri, we all still are in the "show me" mode.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Okay dude Give it up. Who is the player that you think they wanted but was not available. You can't just throw that out there without telling us!

Trey Millard. He went to the Whiners @ pick 245. He was too much of a shoo-in for what we do. And he would have completely changed what we could do out of the H-back position. (Remember about the statement Fisher made...."About 4 picks before...." This would fit the timeline.....)

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
If anything, this is a battle between Michael Sam and Sammy Brown for a roster spot. Sims and Carrington are playmakers that are not leaving this team. Cudjo might be another name in question but any of these players fighting to make the team will probably only see the field on special teams or meaningless points in the game anyway ( assuming too many injuries don't happen ).

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
If anything, this is a battle between Michael Sam and Sammy Brown for a roster spot. Sims and Carrington are playmakers that are not leaving this team. Cudjo might be another name in question but any of these players fighting to make the team will probably only see the field on special teams or meaningless points in the game anyway ( assuming too many injuries don't happen ).

Carrington and Donald have already replace Cudjo and Conrath (the 3rd and 4th guys in the DT rotation......). We have already moved forward as a team. Now one of them may still make the team at a ST or "general spot...." but their spots (from last year...) were already given away.

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trey Millard. He went to the Whiners @ pick 245. He was too much of a shoo-in for what we do. And he would have completely changed what we could do out of the H-back position. (Remember about the statement Fisher made...."About 4 picks before...." This would fit the timeline.....)

I wanted Trey Millard too. I remember damning the 49'ers under my breath when they picked Trey. I had Trey as a late 5th round pick before his knee injury.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I wanted Trey Millard too. I remember damning the 49'ers under my breath when they picked Trey. I had Trey as a late 5th round pick before his knee injury.

You're nicer than I was..... I openly cussed them. And yes, he was much higher before the knee injury..... Ah well...maybe it will work out that they've got too many and will jettison him before the season...