Wear the black hat one time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
My criticism is this, I've seen him miss badly,throw the damned ball into the ground when guys were so open any NFL QB could hit em.
SOMETIMES he is astoundingly inaccurate on easy throws ALMOST like he sees amazing opportunity and freezes up a little.
A deer hunter would call it "buckakers".
Kinda like the shot Jon Voight had to take in Deliverance, he was a champion target shooter but got shakey when it was a live target.
I have a bad feeling about this kid,JMO but he has NEVER wowed me, maybe that's an unreasonable expectation, but he's starting to conjur David Carr or Alex Smith.
There is no doubt Bradford has the physical abilities and the intelligence , but there is something missing that JMO Cam Newton and Andy Dalton both have.

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
Faceplant said:
I am sure I will be lambasted on here because Sam is a saint, and has all the cards stacked against him, and is in his 3rd system....blah blah blah. As I have always said, I like Sam and think he has most if not all of the tools to succeed at this level. This will be a huge year for him, one way or another. Not saying it is make or break, but it absolutely HAS to be a season where we see improvement in most of these areas. If you aren't progressing at this stage of your career, you may find yourself holding a clipboard. This league moves to fast......
"lambasted"? Is that some sort of pun? :sly:

Nah, you're not gonna get any grief for what you said.

Speak for yourself!

Everybody else.... Get him!

simpsons-angry-mob.jpg

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'd just like for Fisher to sit him down and roll a Steve McNair highlight reel. You can fast forward some of the early years where he'd tuck it and run, but by the time he'd found his game in '99 and beyond, he was great at moving the in the pocket, avoiding pressure and rolling out to find an open man. That was Fish's boy for years, surely he could use him as a learning tool.
Plus, I don't think anyone would accuse McNair of having elite weapons around him. A young Derek Mason was pretty good, and he had Eddie George, but beyond that it's pretty comparable.

I think Sam can throw a pretty damn nice ball, I just think he's been waxed a few too many times and is a bit timid after he gets decked. I wouldn't blame him though. I don't know if the coaching staff is telling him to hang in the pocket, but it seems like they are.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
Faceplant said:
I am sure I will be lambasted on here because Sam is a saint, and has all the cards stacked against him, and is in his 3rd system....blah blah blah. As I have always said, I like Sam and think he has most if not all of the tools to succeed at this level. This will be a huge year for him, one way or another. Not saying it is make or break, but it absolutely HAS to be a season where we see improvement in most of these areas. If you aren't progressing at this stage of your career, you may find yourself holding a clipboard. This league moves to fast......
"lambasted"? Is that some sort of pun? :sly:

Nah, you're not gonna get any grief for what you said.

Speak for yourself!

Everybody else.... Get him!

simpsons-angry-mob.jpg

Haha I love that scene. You can see all the characters that were only used like once or twice way in the early seasons. Like the guy to the left of Wiggum.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Thordaddy said:
My criticism is this, I've seen him miss badly,throw the damned ball into the ground when guys were so open any NFL QB could hit em.
SOMETIMES he is astoundingly inaccurate on easy throws ALMOST like he sees amazing opportunity and freezes up a little.
A deer hunter would call it "buckakers".
Kinda like the shot Jon Voight had to take in Deliverance, he was a champion target shooter but got shakey when it was a live target.
I have a bad feeling about this kid,JMO but he has NEVER wowed me, maybe that's an unreasonable expectation, but he's starting to conjur David Carr or Alex Smith.
There is no doubt Bradford has the physical abilities and the intelligence , but there is something missing that JMO Cam Newton and Andy Dalton both have.

That damn "it" again factor right? As much as I hate to say, I agree to some point. I mean, I know....or at least think he HAD "it". I saw glimpses of "it" in his rookie season, particularly in games against Washington and Denver. I think he also flashed signs of "it" against the Panthers. My question is this: Does he still have "it" or did McDaniels scheme and this crappy OL get the "it" knocked out of him too many times last season. CWUTIDIDTHAR??

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm thinking this is it for Bradford in terms of being "the guy". Step up or get benched, pretty simple. Either Fisher is a winning coach with him or a losing coach that will not tolerate ho-hum results and he will lower the boom. College, rookie season, that's all lovely memories now. Bradford was the first fricken pick in the draft, bottom line, get us results regardless this year. No excuses anymore. Get your head out of the fog and remember to scramble, run around a little bit and maybe that will help the O-line woes as well. A healthy running game is also going to be Sam's salvation and open up the field for the pass plays (if the receivers can catch the ball). It's like if we make a completed pass with this guy, we are somewhat shocked, especially on a third and long. It should be a fairly sure thing everytime the ball leaves his hand and instead we look at a good diving catch by DX as if it were the greatest play in NFL history. Routine plays in the NFL. The best of the best, greatest players making plays they are paid thousands of dollars per minute they are on the field. Rams should be no different. New season, clean slate, just be a competitive QB and give us a chance to win.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should clarify that when I asked for criticisms, it wasn't my intent to turn this into a full on bitch fest. In fact, that's why I said I wasn't going to offer up all the reasons for his stunted development.

Keeping that in mind, we should probably keep it simple in order to avoid long drawn out debates over isolated incidents. We all want him to succeed, so it's probably also best to keep our focus on that, and not so much on how many different ways we can predict doom based on the past couple of talent deficient years.

I'm confident the majority here would like to keep an optimistic eye towards the future, yeah?

Sent via Tapatalk2.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
RamsSince1969 said:
I'm thinking this is it for Bradford in terms of being "the guy". Step up or get benched, pretty simple. Either Fisher is a winning coach with him or a losing coach that will not tolerate ho-hum results and he will lower the boom. College, rookie season, that's all lovely memories now. Bradford was the first fricken pick in the draft, bottom line, get us results regardless this year. No excuses anymore. Get your head out of the fog and remember to scramble, run around a little bit and maybe that will help the O-line woes as well. A healthy running game is also going to be Sam's salvation and open up the field for the pass plays (if the receivers can catch the ball). It's like if we make a completed pass with this guy, we are somewhat shocked, especially on a third and long. It should be a fairly sure thing everytime the ball leaves his hand and instead we look at a good diving catch by DX as if it were the greatest play in NFL history. Routine plays in the NFL. The best of the best, greatest players making plays they are paid thousands of dollars per minute they are on the field. Rams should be no different. New season, clean slate, just be a competitive QB and give us a chance to win.
:good1:

Personally, I'm tired of all the excuses including the receivers can't get seperation....if so, why the hell did you draft them....more importantly, why do you keep them? I'm also tired as hell of references to DX, it's shame what's happend to this kid, now let's move on. I also completely agree how we almost sigh with relief when he completes a pass with an opponent any where near the receiver.

Now with that said, I do believe Bradford has talent, I'm just not sure it will come out until he has a competitive team to support him. Look at Luck, look at Newton, these guys don't have a playoff team behind them, but their QB's flash more often than what X describes as a QB with a year and a half's experience....just exactly how much experience do they have?

The truth of the matter is that all the problems listed in this post are REAL and RELIVANT and at the moment this QB is a long ways away from leading this team to a win "on his back alone" and sadly the $68 million spent is in question.

Now come week one, maybe lightening strikes and all is forgotten, but I among others have serious questions and concerns. :violin:

Anonymous

ramsince62 said:
RamsSince1969 said:
:good1:

Personally, I'm tired of all the excuses including the receivers can't get seperation....if so, why the hell did you draft them....more importantly, why do you keep them? I'm also tired as hell of references to DX, it's shame what's happend to this kid, now let's move on. I also completely agree how we almost sigh with relief when he completes a pass with an opponent any where near the receiver.

Now with that said, I do believe Bradford has talent, I'm just not sure it will come out until he has a competitive team to support him. Look at Luck, look at Newton, these guys don't have a playoff team behind them, but their QB's flash more often than what X describes as a QB with a year and a half's experience....just exactly how much experience do they have?

The truth of the matter is that all the problems listed in this post are REAL and RELIVANT and at the moment this QB is a long ways away from leading this team to a win "on his back alone" and sadly the $68 million spent is in question.

Now come week one, maybe lightening strikes and all is forgotten, but I among others have serious questions and concerns. :violin:

Both Luck and Newton have/had more as rookies than Bradford does now.

Inherited stable veteran offensive lines. The Rams 2012 OL has yet to play a game together yet.

And top notch veteran receivers. Newton had Smith. Luck has Wayne.

Instead of using the empty and dismissive word "excuses," be more direct and honest about what is being said. Someone else has an explanation. You disagree and have a different explanation. The question then becomes which explanation holds up better under scrutiny. That;s all it is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think in Sams first year we saw a lot of designed movement. He did well with that. I'm not sure why we are not seeing that again. IMO Sam is not a Marino or Fouts type. He actually CAN be mobile. He seems to need to be active in order to really get into his throws and the play itself. I'm not sure why he is being asked to stand inside a pocket that has too many holes in it. I realize that if you roll out, you eliminate one side of the field for the most part but you also create problems for the defense and coverages. You also get better angles on some of those check downs.

As far as what I'd like to see out of Sam himself, mainly it would have to be better awareness in the pocket. I don't think he necessarily holds the ball too long - more that he doesn't seem to know when to move a little to avoid the sack or know when he better just throw the ball. I do think he lacks a little peripheral vision as well.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
RamFan503 said:
I think in Sams first year we saw a lot of designed movement. He did well with that. I'm not sure why we are not seeing that again. IMO Sam is not a Marino or Fouts type. He actually CAN be mobile. He seems to need to be active in order to really get into his throws and the play itself. I'm not sure why he is being asked to stand inside a pocket that has too many holes in it. I realize that if you roll out, you eliminate one side of the field for the most part but you also create problems for the defense and coverages. You also get better angles on some of those check downs.

That's what I'm talking about. I may be off base here, but I think in his rookie year he led the NFL in completion % or maybe outright passer rating on plays outside of the pocket. Why the hell are people forgetting about things like this. I don't think it was a fluke by any means. Fisher surely knows passers can perform when given the chance to move and create, Schotty's team got beat bad by Tebow because he did exactly that.
The kid can play QB. Someone give him the keys back and tell him it's his car to drive.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Warner4Prez said:
RamFan503 said:

That's what I'm talking about. I may be off base here, but I think in his rookie year he led the NFL in completion % or maybe outright passer rating on plays outside of the pocket. Why the hell are people forgetting about things like this. I don't think it was a fluke by any means. Fisher surely knows passers can perform when given the chance to move and create, Schotty's team got beat bad by Tebow because he did exactly that.
The kid can play QB. Someone give him the keys back and tell him it's his car to drive.
I got the impression from Fisher's last interview with Channel 5, that they're going to include designed movement in the offense. I say I get that impression because he said they're going to do it. I'm not sure why this O and D this preseason is SO vanilla, but I guess it really is to evaluate individual play and not so much team play.

I can honestly say this is the most vanilla I've ever seen any team play in any preseason.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And now I want a sundae with vanilla ice cream & hot fudge. :yessir:

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Warner4Prez said:
RamFan503 said:

I got the impression from Fisher's last interview with Channel 5, that they're going to include designed movement in the offense. I say I get that impression because he said they're going to do it. I'm not sure why this O and D this preseason is SO vanilla, but I guess it really is to evaluate individual play and not so much team play.

I can honestly say this is the most vanilla I've ever seen any team play in any preseason.
This is just speculation on my part, but it seems as if the purpose of the preseason games is to test the Oline's ability in pass pro against a live opponent. To see how well they can protect the pocket.

Moving Bradford around wouldn't get them the information they need to see who/where extra help is needed, or if those players can improve.

All this against the grain stuff that Fisher is doing (no 3rd game dress rehearsal) just shows that his interpretation of preseason won't ever meet fan expectations. One might even say there's a bit of disdain for the typical process. Which isn't to say that's a bad thing. For one thing, it puts a lot pundits, media or fan based, on their heels when evaluating the Rams' progress.

He has my approval.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ram Quixote said:
X said:
Warner4Prez said:
RamFan503 said:

This is just speculation on my part, but it seems as if the purpose of the preseason games is to test the Oline's ability in pass pro against a live opponent. To see how well they can protect the pocket.

Moving Bradford around wouldn't get them the information they need to see who/where extra help is needed, or if those players can improve.

All this against the grain stuff that Fisher is doing (no 3rd game dress rehearsal) just shows that his interpretation of preseason won't ever meet fan expectations. One might even say there's a bit of disdain for the typical process. Which isn't to say that's a bad thing. For one thing, it puts a lot pundits, media or fan based, on their heels when evaluating the Rams' progress.

He has my approval.

I agree with you. However, that almost PURPOSEFULLY putting the QB at risk while evaluating this OL in pass pro?? I mean, we are NOT talking about the hogs, we are talking about dudes named Ojinnaka and Barry fucking Richardson. Sam has taken some pretty good shots out there in the limited time he has played. Let Clemens or Brandstater take those shots if you are really set on testing this group.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Faceplant said:
Ram Quixote said:
X said:
Warner4Prez said:
RamFan503 said:

He has my approval.

I agree with you. However, that almost PURPOSEFULLY putting the QB at risk while evaluating this OL in pass pro?? I mean, we are NOT talking about the hogs, we are talking about dudes named Ojinnaka and Barry freaking Richardson. Sam has taken some pretty good shots out there in the limited time he has played. Let Clemens or Brandstater take those shots if you are really set on testing this group.
I don't think he expected Richardson to completely whiff in pass pro. You gotta remember, the coaches are still learning their players' weaknesses. At the same time, their expectations for some of the starters (Quinn, Richardson) may not be accurate. As we've all heard (and some are sick of hearing) it's a process.

I'm with you on hoping the process doesn't include pureeing Bradford's brains. I hope they add some of that movement to today's game plan.

rickrawk

Starter
Name
Rick
Username said:
Since we're on topic here, I might as well post this gem I read in the SI article I posted today.

According to the website Football Outsiders, the former Heisman winner was on pace to be sacked or hit 122 times last season before an ankle injury on one of those sacks sidelined him for six games. (Seattle’s Tarvaris Jackson led the league with 102 knockdowns.)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17276167/SI%20 ... Report.pdf

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :nono:
Exactly.It's very hard to do your job as the QB when you are getting hammered every other play.
X mentioned it earlier. When the O line starts to play like an NFL O line, and Sam can TRUST his protection,
look out NFL.

GO RAMS!!!!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:

I know it's not exactly what you meant but getting Bradford killed won't get them the kind of information the team needs either. Maybe he didn't know Richardson would wiff that badly but really? What in his history tells anyone he wouldn't. I would say the odds were better that Sam wasn't safe behind him.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
RamFan503 said:
Ram Quixote said:

I know it's not exactly what you meant but getting Bradford killed won't get them the kind of information the team needs either. Maybe he didn't know Richardson would wiff that badly but really? What in his history tells anyone he wouldn't. I would say the odds were better that Sam wasn't safe behind him.
But that's from the fans' perspective, isn't it? I mean, Boudreau sees Richardson in practice almost daily. We see him, primarily, during games when he doesn't execute properly. Obviously, game play beats practice all to hell. And yet the coaches have to trust someone to play RT and they've chosen Richardson. I can only speculate why things have played out the way they have at RT or their logic in leaving Richardson alone on the end.

I'm with you on the results. I just wasn't as worried about Bradford's well-being. Not in the preseason.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Ram Quixote said:
RamFan503 said:
Ram Quixote said:

But that's from the fans' perspective, isn't it? I mean, Boudreau sees Richardson in practice almost daily. We see him, primarily, during games when he doesn't execute properly. Obviously, game play beats practice all to hell. And yet the coaches have to trust someone to play RT and they've chosen Richardson. I can only speculate why things have played out the way they have at RT or their logic in leaving Richardson alone on the end.

I'm with you on the results. I just wasn't as worried about Bradford's well-being. Not in the preseason.

Yeah I know man. I guess I just AM worried about Sam's well-being - especially in the pre-season. I suppose the injuries this team has endured makes me a bit shell shocked.